ADVERTISEMENT

Next Football Cycle

nenebskers

All-Conference
Oct 18, 2013
It won't be soon before we are looking at the next two year football cycle again. Any known large enrollment increases or decreases that could effect a school changing classes? Any known new coops? Any dissolving coops? Any known 11 man schools that will opt down to 8 man and choose to be playoff ineligible? Any current ineligible 8 man schools looking to go back to 11 man? Below are some I'm aware of.

Tri-County Northeast - currently Allen and Emerson Hubbard, both playing 8-man, have decided to go to C2 11 man next year.

BRLD - this is the last year for the coop. Next year Bancroft Rosalie and Lyons Decatur will go seperate ways. What class will each be on the own?

Wausa and Osmond - Any new news here? Assuming they would play C2 11 man if they choose to finalize the coop.

Twin River - will they opt down to 8man? They have already not finished two games this season.

Kimball - Will their numbers improve, coop with someone, or opt to 6-man?

McCook is supposed to do one C-1 cycle based on an extremely low boy count for two classes. It will just be two years I believe in 2022 and 2023.

According to declarations Shelby-Rising City is bumping up to 11 Man next Cycle
There will be a fairly large bump in numbers for a few years…. It’s unfortunate that their old
Coach just couldn’t stand to coach 8 man, not even for 2 years and quit.

I also saw Riverside and Spalding Academy are talking about co-oping all sports, should of happened when Riverside first formed in my opinion.

Would it be safe to say that the current boys basketball classification numbers (the actual enrollment number listed, not the classification) would be a pretty safe place to start when looking at where schools will end up for the next football cycle? Those numbers are found here. On page 5 of 26 of the basketball manual (found here) it says that basketball classifications are based on the enrollment numbers from September of the year that immediately precedes the 1 year classification period. Football enrollment numbers are taken October 1st. There won't be many schools that change more than a kid or two.

Would it be safe to say that the current boys basketball classification numbers (the actual enrollment number listed, not the classification) would be a pretty safe place to start when looking at where schools will end up for the next football cycle? Those numbers are found here. On page 5 of 26 of the basketball manual (found here) it says that basketball classifications are based on the enrollment numbers from September of the year that immediately precedes the 1 year classification period. Football enrollment numbers are taken October 1st. There won't be many schools that change more than a kid or two.
That will not work for Football, current BB classification are 12,11,10 and new cycle football will be this years 9-10-11

If I am reading this correctly, the NSAA by-laws say all sports are based on 9-10-11. There are some sports that are boy enrollment only or girl enrollment only, but it looks like all are based on grades 9-10-11. Is there another section of the by-laws that I am missing?

2.13 CLASSIFICATION

2.13.1 Authority. The Board of Directors shall have the authority to divide the members into classes, determine the number of classes and place the member schools into these classes for competition in each activity sponsored by this Association.

2.13.1.1 The Board of Directors may adjust the classification of schools in unusual situations (such as consolidation, formation of a new school, gain or loss of a school district), provided such information is made known before the first allowable date for fall sports competition each year.

2.13.2 Basis for Classification. A school’s classification shall be based on its total enrollment for all activities with the exception of football, boys tennis, boys basketball, wrestling, boys golf, boys soccer and baseball that will be classified on boy enrollment only, and volleyball, softball, girls basketball, girls golf, girls tennis and girls soccer that will be classified on girl enrollment only.

2.13.2.1 A school’s total enrollment shall be the total boy and girl enrollment in grades nine, ten, and eleven according to the enrollment figures submitted to the State Department of Education on October 1 of the preceding school year except for football, boys tennis, boys basketball, wrestling, boys golf, boys soccer and baseball that will be classified on boy enrollment only, and volleyball, softball, girls basketball, girls golf, girls tennis and girls soccer that will be classified on girl enrollment only.

2.13.2.2 If, in a particular activity, the schools are classified for a two-year period, the total enrollment shall be the figures from the State Department of Education on October 1 of the year which immediately precedes the two-year classification period.

9-10-11 for two year cycles and current 12-11-10 for year to year It is last years 11-10-9 but the current years 12-11-10. so for football it is this year 11-10-9. That make any sense

LPS and Gretna are years away.
I stand corrected on Gretna. I remember seeing something on it last fall, had no idea it would be ready so soon. Opening in fall of 2023. Looks like the two Gretna schools, Gretna and Gretna East, will be Class B for a few years before climbing back into A much like what has happened with Elkhorn each time.

LPS Northwest school opens in 22. Other one opens in 23.
Dang, I'm out of the loop or time is just going faster the older I get.

Just talked to someone in Newman Grove that thinks Boone Central and Newman Grove will be splitting after this year. Their view was that Boone Central wanted out. They were not sure if Newman Grove would try to go by themselves or coop with another school. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, any new news on the Humphrey, St. Francis, and Holy Family situation?

Reactions: Llama57
Dang, I'm out of the loop or time is just going faster the older I get.

Just talked to someone in Newman Grove that thinks Boone Central and Newman Grove will be splitting after this year. Their view was that Boone Central wanted out. They were not sure if Newman Grove would try to go by themselves or coop with another school. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, any new news on the Humphrey, St. Francis, and Holy Family situation?

According to the NSAA classifications, Newman Grove's boy count is 11. That would be tied for second to last in 6 man. That would be pretty unfair to the kids to go alone. Unless they are getting out in front and want to approach Humphrey High? (If I had to guess, I think Humphrey-LHF is one sooner rather than later.) 20 mile drive one way vs 15 from Albion to Newman Grove.

I have to imagine both BR and LDNE will at the top of D2.

West Point-Beemer needs to get out of the East Husker Conference. That league is all C2-D1 schools now besides them and North Bend.

Reactions: nenebskers
It's going to be very interesting to watch in C2. If Valentine and Gordon-Rushville opt down to 8 man. What happens to Bridgeport, Chase County, NPSP and Hershey. It's pretty sad how far C2 football has fallen when it comes to numbers. I personally would love to see more co-ops in football to help fill out C2 and C1.

Brady-Maxwell
Sutherland-Paxton
Chase County-Wauneta-Palisade
Cambridge-Arapahoe
Bayard-Minatare
Mitchell-Morrill

Reactions: nenebskers
I have heard Bridgeport is likely to drop to 8 man for the next cycle, then back to 11. Kimball is not currently looking at a co-op that I am aware of. They have better participation in their youth and middle school levels, hopefully those kids stick.

I have heard Bridgeport is likely to drop to 8 man for the next cycle, then back to 11. Kimball is not currently looking at a co-op that I am aware of. They have better participation in their youth and middle school levels, hopefully those kids stick.
I’ll never understand that. Take the lumps for two years and stay C2. Why drop to 8 man for two years when you know your going to go back? You don’t see many teams go from 11 to 8 and back to 11 two years later.

It's going to be very interesting to watch in C2. If Valentine and Gordon-Rushville opt down to 8 man. What happens to Bridgeport, Chase County, NPSP and Hershey. It's pretty sad how far C2 football has fallen when it comes to numbers. I personally would love to see more co-ops in football to help fill out C2 and C1.

Brady-Maxwell
Sutherland-Paxton
Cambridge-Arapahoe
Bayard-Minatare
Mitchell-Morrill

Hershey apparently only has 21 kids out from what I've heard. They've had some attrition issues that moved to Sutherland. Hershey also had a bond issue fail a few weeks ago. That building seriously needs updated/upgraded/expanded on BADLY. Can't keep putting band aids on a flesh wound.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Hershey apparently only has 21 kids out from what I've heard. They've had some attrition issues that moved to Sutherland. Hershey also had a bond issue fail a few weeks ago. That building seriously needs updated/upgraded/expanded on BADLY. Can't keep putting band aids on a flesh wound.
I had not heard the bond failed, that is too bad. The way Hershey keeps getting kids from NP they need to expand. That town does not have a lot to offer besides the school and proximity to NP. Their school needs help.

Amherst is interesting to me, they are C2 in everything besides football. They usually are pretty successful in most of their sports, I don't know what their participation numbers are but have to imagine they are decent. Plus having Kearney so close can't hurt either.

Amherst is interesting to me, they are C2 in everything besides football. They usually are pretty successful in most of their sports, I don't know what their participation numbers are but have to imagine they are decent. Plus having Kearney so close can't hurt either.
either way even with good participation they are D1 in football enrollment numbers, most of the top half of D! football is C2 in basketball, mainly because its not a set enrollment number to be in C2 its based on total teams and with a several coops only in football and BB on their own many more individual teams in BB

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Over on Twitter we've been working on long-standing rivalries that have been played every year for a period of time. We are digging thru a list of 11-man games (mainly because the NSAA wildcard data for 8-man is a bit of mess).

Below are the ones we identified as going back to 2002 and then another list that we THINK go back to at least 1964. Any ideas on 8-man or 6-man rivalries that might go back to 2002? Maybe even some that might have started 11 and then gone 8 at the same time? Or 8 to 6?

Alliance v Scottsbluff
Aquinas v Scotus
Arlington v Fort Calhoun
Auburn v Falls City
Bayard v Kimball
Beatrice v Crete
Bellevue East v Bellevue West
Blair v Schuyler
Broken Bow v Gothenburg
Columbus Lakeview v Columbus Scotus
Cozad v Gothenburg
Creighton Prep v Omaha Westside
Crete v Norris
Gering v Alliance
Gering v McCook
GINW v Aurora
Grand Island v Kearney
Gross v Skutt
Kearney v North Platte
Lexington v McCook
Lexington v Scottsbluff
Lincoln Christian v Lincoln Lutheran
Lincoln Southeast v Lincoln East
Lincoln Southeast v Lincoln Southwest
McCook v Scottsbluff
Millard South v Millard West
Millard West v Millard North
Norris v Beatrice
Pierce v Wayne
Ponca v Hartington Cedar Catholic
Ralston v Beatrice
Scottsbluff v Gering
Scottsbluff v Sidney
St. Paul v Central City
Valentine v Winner, SD
York v Seward

We've been chasing those back. Haven't done complete checking yet but we think these go back to at least 1964:

Alliance v Scottsbluff
Broken Bow v Gothenburg
Kearney v North Platte
Cozad v Gothenburg
Auburn v Falls City
Lexington v McCook
Valentine v Winner, SD
York v Seward
Aquinas v Scotus
Bayard v Kimball
McCook v Scottsbluff
Gering v Alliance
Scottsbluff v Gering

Over on Twitter we've been working on long-standing rivalries that have been played every year for a period of time. We are digging thru a list of 11-man games (mainly because the NSAA wildcard data for 8-man is a bit of mess).

Below are the ones we identified as going back to 2002 and then another list that we THINK go back to at least 1964. Any ideas on 8-man or 6-man rivalries that might go back to 2002? Maybe even some that might have started 11 and then gone 8 at the same time? Or 8 to 6?

Alliance v Scottsbluff
Aquinas v Scotus
Arlington v Fort Calhoun
Auburn v Falls City
Bayard v Kimball
Beatrice v Crete
Blair v Schuyler
Broken Bow v Gothenburg
Cozad v Gothenburg
Crete v Norris
Gering v Alliance
Gering v McCook
GINW v Aurora
Grand Island v Kearney
Gross v Skutt
Kearney v North Platte
Lexington v McCook
Lexington v Scottsbluff
McCook v Scottsbluff
Norris v Beatrice
Pierce v Wayne
Ralston v Beatrice
Scottsbluff v Gering
Scottsbluff v Sidney
St. Paul v Central City
Valentine v Winner, SD
York v Seward

We've been chasing those back. Haven't done complete checking yet but we think these go back to at least 1964:

Alliance v Scottsbluff
Broken Bow v Gothenburg
Kearney v North Platte
Cozad v Gothenburg
Auburn v Falls City
Lexington v McCook
Valentine v Winner, SD
York v Seward
Aquinas v Scotus
Bayard v Kimball
McCook v Scottsbluff
Gering v Alliance
Scottsbluff v Gering
You would think Pierce-Norfolk Catholic would be on there but people underestimate the rivalry between Pierce and Wayne. It might not be as high competition as Pierce Norfolk Catholic but there's some good hatred there for each other.
Love seeing lists like this though! Just adds a little bit to that Friday night atmosphere!

Brady-Maxwell
Sutherland-Paxton
Cambridge-Arapahoe
Bayard-Minatare
Mitchell-Morrill
Maxwell and Brady will close their schools before a consolidation happens there...lol. Not a chance Valentine drops to 8 is there? I've heard Bridgeport is. Surprised St. Pats didn't last cycle.

At a playoff game between Broken Bow and Central City a few years back they, Central City, had a trivia question over their loud speaker at halftime or whatever.

What school has Central City played most in its school history in football.
The answer was Ord

Ord has played Central City and Broken Bow nearly every year for a REALLY long time.

Broken Bow used to hang real dead chickens on fence posts entering town when Ord came to town. That tradition has long since been gone but 80s and 90s it sure happened

Reactions: BigD51 and TC53
Could we see the NSAA split C1 and C2 in half next year for football? Just to put a few more teams in C2? It wouldn’t change a lot, but maybe 8-10 teams.

Looking at the NSAA numbers (link). Obviously some teams are going to drop and move around. BRLD will be done after this fall in football. So that takes another team out of C2. I know numbers will fluctuate and teams will declare later, but if it was broken out in half today, it would like like... (either 7 districts of 5 or 6 districts of 6 teams)

NEW C1 (37 teams)

SCHUYLER 243 (235)
NEBRASKA CITY 163 (165)
PLATTEVIEW 159
SIDNEY 147
OGALLALA 136
WAHOO 136
WAYNE 130
HOLDREGE 127
COZAD 125
WEST POINT-BEEMER 121
DOUGLAS CO WEST 114
COLUMBUS LAKEVIEW 111
BOYS TOWN 107
HASTINGS ADAMS CENTRAL 107
AUBURN 105
ASHLAND-GREENWOOD 104
CHADRON 104
FAIRBURY 102
GOTHENBURG 100
OMAHA CONCORDIA 100
PIERCE 100
FALLS CITY 99
MINDEN 99
BROKEN BOW 97
COLUMBUS SCOTUS 97
WOOD RIVER(63) / SHELTON(33) 96
ARLINGTON 92
ST PAUL 92
FORT CALHOUN 89
LINCOLN CHRISTIAN 88
BOONE CENTRAL(77) / NEWMAN GROVE(11) 88
LVSS - LOGAN VIEW(74) / SCRIBNER SNYDER(13)
CENTRAL CITY 86
RAYMOND CENTRAL 86
O'NEILL 84
MILFORD 83
MITCHELL 81

NEW C2 (37 teams)

KEARNEY CATHOLIC 80
LOUISVILLE 76
FILLMORE CENTRAL 75
MALCOLM 75
BATTLE CREEK 72
NORTH BEND CENTRAL 71
VALENTINE 83 (75)
GORDON-RUSHVILLE 80
GIBBON 71 (69)
SYRACUSE 69
BISHOP NEUMANN 67
LINCOLN LUTHERAN 67
ORD 66
DAVID CITY 65
NORFOLK CATHOLIC 65
WILBER-CLATONIA 65
CENTURA 63
AQUINAS 62
GRAND ISLAND CENTRAL CATHOLIC 62
HERSHEY 61
TWIN RIVER 61
BRIDGEPORT 60
CENTENNIAL 60
YUTAN 58
TEKAMAH-HERMAN 56
PONCA 55
SUTTON 55
HARTINGTON CEDAR CATHOLIC 54
CROFTON 53
OAKLAND CRAIG 53
ARCHBISHOP BERGAN 52
CHASE COUNTY 52
SUPERIOR 49
SANDY CREEK 46
DONIPHAN-TRUMBULL 44
HASTINGS ST CECILIA 41
NORTH PLATTE ST PATS 37

Alliance v Scottsbluff
Aquinas v Scotus
Arlington v Fort Calhoun
Auburn v Falls City
Bayard v Kimball
Beatrice v Crete
Blair v Schuyler
Broken Bow v Gothenburg
Cozad v Gothenburg
Crete v Norris
Gering v Alliance
Gering v McCook
GINW v Aurora
Grand Island v Kearney
Gross v Skutt
Kearney v North Platte
Lexington v McCook
Lexington v Scottsbluff
McCook v Scottsbluff
Norris v Beatrice
Pierce v Wayne
Ralston v Beatrice
Scottsbluff v Gering
Scottsbluff v Sidney
St. Paul v Central City
Valentine v Winner, SD
York v Seward

Alliance v Scottsbluff
Broken Bow v Gothenburg
Kearney v North Platte
Cozad v Gothenburg
Auburn v Falls City
Lexington v McCook
Valentine v Winner, SD
York v Seward
Aquinas v Scotus
Bayard v Kimball
McCook v Scottsbluff
Gering v Alliance
Scottsbluff v Gering
Crofton vs Pierce or Crofton vs. Hartington Cedar Catholic or maybe doesn't go long enough. Bloomfield and Crofton used to have some bad feelings there.

Reactions: TC53
Looking at the NSAA numbers (link). Obviously some teams are going to drop and move around. BRLD will be done after this fall in football. So that takes another team out of C2. I know numbers will fluctuate and teams will declare later, but if it was broken out in half today, it would like like... (either 7 districts of 5 or 6 districts of 6 teams)

NEW C1 (37 teams)

SCHUYLER 243 (235)
NEBRASKA CITY 163 (165)
PLATTEVIEW 159
SIDNEY 147
OGALLALA 136
WAHOO 136
WAYNE 130
HOLDREGE 127
COZAD 125
WEST POINT-BEEMER 121
DOUGLAS CO WEST 114
COLUMBUS LAKEVIEW 111
BOYS TOWN 107
HASTINGS ADAMS CENTRAL 107
AUBURN 105
ASHLAND-GREENWOOD 104
CHADRON 104
FAIRBURY 102
GOTHENBURG 100
OMAHA CONCORDIA 100
PIERCE 100
FALLS CITY 99
MINDEN 99
BROKEN BOW 97
COLUMBUS SCOTUS 97
WOOD RIVER(63) / SHELTON(33) 96
ARLINGTON 92
ST PAUL 92
FORT CALHOUN 89
LINCOLN CHRISTIAN 88
BOONE CENTRAL(77) / NEWMAN GROVE(11) 88
LVSS - LOGAN VIEW(74) / SCRIBNER SNYDER(13)
CENTRAL CITY 86
RAYMOND CENTRAL 86
O'NEILL 84
MILFORD 83
MITCHELL 81

NEW C2 (37 teams)

KEARNEY CATHOLIC 80
LOUISVILLE 76
FILLMORE CENTRAL 75
MALCOLM 75
BATTLE CREEK 72
NORTH BEND CENTRAL 71
VALENTINE 83 (75)
GORDON-RUSHVILLE 80
GIBBON 71 (69)
SYRACUSE 69
BISHOP NEUMANN 67
LINCOLN LUTHERAN 67
ORD 66
DAVID CITY 65
NORFOLK CATHOLIC 65
WILBER-CLATONIA 65
CENTURA 63
AQUINAS 62
GRAND ISLAND CENTRAL CATHOLIC 62
HERSHEY 61
TWIN RIVER 61
BRIDGEPORT 60
CENTENNIAL 60
YUTAN 58
TEKAMAH-HERMAN 56
PONCA 55
SUTTON 55
HARTINGTON CEDAR CATHOLIC 54
CROFTON 53
OAKLAND CRAIG 53
ARCHBISHOP BERGAN 52
CHASE COUNTY 52
SUPERIOR 49
SANDY CREEK 46
DONIPHAN-TRUMBULL 44
HASTINGS ST CECILIA 41
NORTH PLATTE ST PATS 37
This may not be true but I heard Sandy Creek, Sutton and Superior will all be below and 8-man D1 next year, also heard Twin River may opt down to 8-man

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
Crofton vs Pierce or Crofton vs. Hartington Cedar Catholic or maybe doesn't go long enough. Bloomfield and Crofton used to have some bad feelings there.
I'm pretty sure the Crofton- HCC rivalry goes back to HCC's days when they were known as Holy Trinity High School. I can't say if they missed any years, but I know of several instances where current players' fathers, and grand fathers played in that rivalry game.

Reactions: TC53
I'm pretty sure the Crofton- HCC rivalry goes back to HCC's days when they were known as Holy Trinity High School. I can't say if they missed any years, but I know of several instances where current players' fathers, and grand fathers played in that rivalry game.
I think Crofton v HCC is still a pretty big deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT