ADVERTISEMENT

Next Football Cycle

I'm pretty sure the Crofton- HCC rivalry goes back to HCC's days when they were known as Holy Trinity High School. I can't say if they missed any years, but I know of several instances where current players' fathers, and grand fathers played in that rivalry game.
After Cedar's win last week they now hold a 36-23 all time record vs Crofton dating back to their first meeting in 1957. With that said it appears they have had a few years with no games played between the two.

Reactions: bruiser84 and TC53
I have been thinking that Kimball, Potter-Dix and Banner County would make a nice Co-op. Without looking at the numbers they would be in C-2 I believe. Maybe C-1. Potter-Dix has had decent numbers for 6 man as of late but has struggled in the past, Banner County struggles to field a 6 man team and Kimball could not even field an 8 man team this season. Kimball has a great facility, it would make sense to play games there as it is centrally located, even if you moved practices around once in a while to keep everyone happy. Just my 2 cents.

For the record.

As it sits right now if no one else drops down OR no one comes back up to 11-man

There will be 68 schools that were in c1/c2 this last cycle and that includes playoff ineligibles Schuyler and Neb City. Unless I missed some (which is entirely possible)

So with an even split between C1 and C2 exactly HALF of C1 will get into the playoffs next year and just under half will get into C2 playoffs.

I feel like i'm in the minority when saying there is something entirely wrong with that. 15 years ago there were 56 schools in C1 and 57 in C2

Reactions: northeastNebraska
For the record.

As it sits right now if no one else drops down OR no one comes back up to 11-man

There will be 68 schools that were in c1/c2 this last cycle and that includes playoff ineligibles Schuyler and Neb City. Unless I missed some (which is entirely possible)

So with an even split between C1 and C2 exactly HALF of C1 will get into the playoffs next year and just under half will get into C2 playoffs.

I feel like i'm in the minority when saying there is something entirely wrong with that. 15 years ago there were 56 schools in C1 and 57 in C2
C1 and C2 should be combined into one class.

As of right now there are 31 class A schools, which means over 50% qualify for the playoffs. There are 25 class B schools, which means 60% qualify for the playoffs. There are 43 class C1 schools, which means 37% qualify. There are 32 class C2 teams, which means 50% qualify. Why would we combine the two classes that 1- have the most teams in them, and 2- already have the lowest qualifying percentages?

Last edited:
Next year that won’t be the case.

Sutton, Bridgeport (officially)
Superior, and Twin River (unofficially) are dropping to 8 man

Wood River is likely to split with Shelton but if they end up staying together, they are supposedly opting down to C2.

that would make 3 ineligible in C2 (depending on Gibbon and Valentines numbers change) and 2 in C1 ineligible.

Still a fan of something like this….

Class A - 40 schools
Class B - 32 schools
Class C - remaining 11 man schools
9 man
8 man
6 man

is this feasible? Idk, realistic? Probably not but to me it’s better than what we have or are creating currently.

Wood River is likely to split with Shelton but if they end up staying together, they are supposedly opting down to C2.

that would make 3 ineligible in C2 (depending on Gibbon and Valentines numbers change) and 2 in C1 ineligible.

Class A - 40 schools
Class B - 32 schools
9 man
8 man
6 man

is this feasible? Idk, realistic? Probably not but to me it’s better than what we have or are creating currently.
Crofton maybe going down to 8man. Only have 14 returning players next year. Not sure on JHigh numbers.

As of right now there are 31 class A schools, which means over 50% qualify for the playoffs. There are 25 class B schools, which means 60% qualify for the playoffs. There are 43 class C1 schools, which means 37% qualify. There are 32 class C2 teams, which means 50% qualify. Why would we combine the two classes that 1- have the most teams in them, and 2- already have the lowest qualifying percentages?
Class A should be larger and so should Class B. Go to 3 classes for 11 man. So if there's 150 teams playing 11 man, put the 50 highest schools in enrollment in A, next 50 in B and the next 50 in C. I just think there isn't a need for a class with only 25 schools in it.

Class A should be larger and so should Class B. Go to 3 classes for 11 man. So if there's 150 teams playing 11 man, put the 50 highest schools in enrollment in A, next 50 in B and the next 50 in C. I just think there isn't a need for a class with only 25 schools in it.
So you want a school who has 256 (Blair) boys to be in the same class as a school with 1157 (Omaha South)? That is 4x as many kids. Don't think any of the small Schoo in said class would even have a chance.

Class A - 40 schools
Class B - 32 schools
9 man
8 man
6 man

I think with the addition of 2 OPS, 2 LPS, and new Gretna school, 36 Class A, 32-36 Class B, split remaining 11 man teams in half for C1/C2, then do the same for 8 man. But I also believe the # for 8 man eligibility needs to be 55-60 as well. Hartington/Newcastle has a legislative proposal, we'll see how far it gets.

The question is, how many teams would choose to play 8 man if the were below the new cutoff, and how many non A/B teams would that leave?

So you want a school who has 256 (Blair) boys to be in the same class as a school with 1157 (Omaha South)? That is 4x as many kids. Don't think any of the small Schoo in said class would even have a chance.
You're probably right, but something needs to be done. Having only 25 schools in Class B is a joke in my opinion. Maybe go to top 40 schools in enrollment in Class A, then split them up equally in B and C. I just don't think we have enough schools playing 11 man football that makes having 4 classes of 11 man football a necessity.

I think with the addition of 2 OPS, 2 LPS, and new Gretna school, 36 Class A, 32-36 Class B, split remaining 11 man teams in half for C1/C2, then do the same for 8 man. But I also believe the # for 8 man eligibility needs to be 55-60 as well. Hartington/Newcastle has a legislative proposal, we'll see how far it gets.

The question is, how many teams would choose to play 8 man if the were below the new cutoff, and how many non A/B teams would that leave?
Bennington will also likely be class A in a few cycles.

What is Hartington's proposal? I was glad when they raised the 8man eligibility limit a few years back but at the time I was afraid it wasn't high enough and unfortunately that's proving to be true. In most states thay have 8man the current C2 schools would all be eligible for 8man. I believe the limit should be closer to 60. Schools always have the option to opt up.

Bennington will also likely be class A in a few cycles.

What is Hartington's proposal? I was glad when they raised the 8man eligibility limit a few years back but at the time I was afraid it wasn't high enough and unfortunately that's proving to be true. In most states thay have 8man the current C2 schools would all be eligible for 8man. I believe the limit should be closer to 60. Schools always have the option to opt up.
Raising 8 man cutoff # to 55

Doesn't Bennington have land for a second Class B school already purchased? Thought I heard that. I had that listed as the only way Class B gets bigger. I see several schools that may shrink or grow out to C or A, but there aren't really any I see growing into Class B. Class B is going to be big conference size eventually, unless the C1 schools suddenly decide, hey, we want to combine with them. I don't see that happening.

Plus, don't you think their new southern neighbors, Omaha Westview, will slow the Bennington school growth?

Reactions: northeastNebraska

Class A - 40 schools
Class B - 32 schools
9 man
8 man
6 man

While I like your idea conceptually, I think a big road block is geography. There will be a lot more travel involved when you start splitting into more buckets. No more C1 vs C2 games in the moderately-populated areas of the state.

That's the proverbial problem in Nebraska: huge disparity in school population, or rather the very fast descent in school sizes beyond Class A until you get to a typical Class C size.

Several issues. There just aren't many B schools in the state, and there are more 6 and 8 man schools than 11 man schools. With new metro schools being built, A and B will grow, but the fact that there are less 11 man schools in the state than 8 & 6 man won't go away. Ever. Our population is just not going to grow that much in areas outside our metros.

Doesn't Bennington have land for a second Class B school already purchased? Thought I heard that. I had that listed as the only way Class B gets bigger. I see several schools that may shrink or grow out to C or A, but there aren't really any I see growing into Class B. Class B is going to be big conference size eventually, unless the C1 schools suddenly decide, hey, we want to combine with them. I don't see that happening.

Plus, don't you think their new southern neighbors, Omaha Westview, will slow the Bennington school growth?
Yes they do. I just asked my brother-in-law who has kids at the district if they had heard plans of a second high school. He said Bennington will have Bennington High OG and eventually a Bennington 2.0. They are building a second middle school now. The growth that way is insane.

Here's the data I'd like to see that might shed some light on the conundrum of football classifications (which is, I believe, that many think seven is too many classes, but no one can agree on where the contraction should occur):

How many underclass football games has your school played in the last four years? JV, reserve, freshman, junior high. I think those numbers combined with enrollment numbers, might give us some real insight.

Really, I'm just trying to see into the roster size question but worry like everyone that schools wouldn't be honest about roster sizes.

Here's the data I'd like to see that might shed some light on the conundrum of football classifications (which is, I believe, that many think seven is too many classes, but no one can agree on where the contraction should occur):

How many underclass football games has your school played in the last four years? JV, reserve, freshman, junior high. I think those numbers combined with enrollment numbers, might give us some real insight.

Really, I'm just trying to see into the roster size question but worry like everyone that schools wouldn't be honest about roster sizes.
This ^^^^^^^

This has been my argument for 10 years. Any successful Varsity sports team I have been around has been backed up by a successful JV team. Successful...20 win softball, 18-20 win basketball, can't speak for football because I have never been around a successful program. Every one of these teams were backed up by (often times) undefeated or single loss JV teams.

When the roster size dictates an inability to play JV sports, it is a tremendous uphill battle.

Good job looking for the story BEHIND the story, and understand that no matter what pool of data you are looking at there will always be outliers. There will be those rare instances where the data points don't have an end result impact. Sort of like the Nebraska Husker football team. Statistically, they should be nearly unbeaten...but they aren't.

Good post!

Last edited:
Reactions: nenebskers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT