ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking Ineligible teams

I have 49 States that agree with me, just trying to get the last one, but seems Nebraska is a let the needs of the few effect everyone State, must be a blue State thing : ) Tree hugger State never thought I would see it in Nebraska but seems thats what it is. : )

Explain how the "needs of a few are effecting everyone". I don't understand how allowing a school with poor participation to play down a class (and not be considered for the playoffs) is effecting everyone. Actually anyone for that matter?

Share your thoughts with specific matchups (team names) and how those matchups have any bearing on the big picture whatsoever. I wasn't able to find any but admittedly am not an expert.

Convince me.

Explain how the "needs of a few are effecting everyone". I don't understand how allowing a school with poor participation to play down a class (and not be considered for the playoffs) is effecting everyone. Actually anyone for that matter?

Share your thoughts with specific matchups (team names) and how those matchups have any bearing on the big picture whatsoever. I wasn't able to find any but admittedly am not an expert.

Convince me.
I'm not against opting down in the current format but since you asked, how about literally every game an average or poor team loses to a team that is from c2 classification? They lose and miss out on the chance that they would have been scheduled against someone more their caliber and of equal size where they would have had a chance....no?
Also, our scenarios stretching 27 kids down to 11 kids is getting far fetched....
As long as they can't make the playoffs, however, and we have plenty of qualifying spots, who cares if they are in the polls or not. I don't.

I'm not against opting down in the current format but since you asked, how about literally every game an average or poor team loses to a team that is from c2 classification? They lose and miss out on the chance that they would have been scheduled against someone more their caliber and of equal size where they would have had a chance....no?
Also, our scenarios stretching 27 kids down to 11 kids is getting far fetched....
As long as they can't make the playoffs, however, and we have plenty of qualifying spots, who cares if they are in the polls or not. I don't.

A poor 8 man team is likely going to lose ANY game it plays regardless of it being an opt down team or otherwise. An average team would statistically lose half of these games.

You have actually provided NO evidence that the "needs of a few are effecting everyone". In principal perhaps. Data backed facts...none.

For the love of God guys, the NSAA is taking 60% of the teams to the playoffs! 60%!! Come On! 3 pages of bitching about this and NOBODY can provide even 1 single data backed instance in which an opt down team has even nudged someone outside of that elite 60%?

By the way, the 27 down to 11 "scenario" was actually to 16 in my case. For the record, it wasn't a scenario, it was reality. My son was the backup QB that had to move from WR and go under center behind a line consisting of 3 Freshmen. It isn't safe guys. I have the medical bills to prove it.

All I can say is if you are hell bent on not allowing an opt down then head for your Athletic Director's office and start barking.

Reactions: Artfour3
A poor 8 man team is likely going to lose ANY game it plays regardless of it being an opt down team or otherwise. An average team would statistically lose half of these games.

You have actually provided NO evidence that the "needs of a few are effecting everyone". In principal perhaps. Data backed facts...none.

For the love of God guys, the NSAA is taking 60% of the teams to the playoffs! 60%!! Come On! 3 pages of bitching about this and NOBODY can provide even 1 single data backed instance in which an opt down team has even nudged someone outside of that elite 60%?

By the way, the 27 down to 11 "scenario" was actually to 16 in my case. For the record, it wasn't a scenario, it was reality. My son was the backup QB that had to move from WR and go under center behind a line consisting of 3 Freshmen. It isn't safe guys. I have the medical bills to prove it.

All I can say is if you are hell bent on not allowing an opt down then head for your Athletic Director's office and start barking.
How hard is it to comprehend my post? You ask a literal question you get a literal answer. Not only are you freaking out over nothing since I said I'm not against opting down, I just think your arguments are a little out there. How hard is it to understand that a team scheduled against a drop down team and loses may have been scheduled against a team of their caliber and had a chance to win? You asked for teams negatively affected, I just gave you a perfectly acceptable and rational answer that is fact, and you are choosing not to face the reality of it because "oh well they suck anyway". By that rationale all the drop down teams should either stay c2 or not even play because oh well they suck anyway (not my argument just pointing out how you are being a hypocrite). Literally go look at any team that lost to a drop down, there's your data.
And someone in this thread did say 27 to 11, which is still far fetched.
Take your for the love of god elsewhere, I'm not against opting down but saying it doesn't hurt other teams is pure nonsense and selfish, really.
There is no perfect system.

How hard is it to comprehend my post? You ask a literal question you get a literal answer. Not only are you freaking out over nothing since I said I'm not against opting down, I just think your arguments are a little out there. How hard is it to understand that a team scheduled against a drop down team and loses may have been scheduled against a team of their caliber and had a chance to win? You asked for teams negatively affected, I just gave you a perfectly acceptable and rational answer that is fact, and you are choosing not to face the reality of it because "oh well they suck anyway". By that rationale all the drop down teams should either stay c2 or not even play because oh well they suck anyway (not my argument just pointing out how you are being a hypocrite). Literally go look at any team that lost to a drop down, there's your data.
Take your for the love of god elsewhere, I'm not against opting down but saying it doesn't hurt other teams is pure nonsense and selfish, really.

Actually, I'm not freaking out.

My last post was not directed to you specifically. It was meant to be a general post and I replied to you inadvertently.

For me on a personal level...it doesn't matter one way or another. My 4 boys are done. None of this really warrants an elevated pulse much less a spike in blood pressure.

A group of schools has (as an absolute last resort) appealed to their peers in an effort to preserve the sport of football in their respective schools. They have collectively agreed to not be considered for post season play. They just want to play. The peer group has agreed to accommodate them.

I personally think it is a pretty neat thing.

I sincerely apologize if my post came across as attacking and certainly was not directed to you specifically. It was not intended that way.

As a general question to everyone in the thread, can anyone provide SPECIFIC games in which an opt down team has cost a playoff eligible team a trip to the post season playoffs? Again, I have tried to find these matchups but haven't been able to so far.

Actually it's 26 with 11 varsity caliber players to pick from. I'm not saying they are only suiting 11. I'm saying that there are only 11 of the 26 that have any business being on a varsity football field. Far fetched...that's Wakefield's scenario. They will only suit 21 for Laurel due to injuries. They are competitive in 8 man finally after 3 years (3-5 and 2-6 in 1st cycle) and their kids are enjoying football again. Had they been in 11 man where they "are supposed to be" they would of been sitting dead center of the Cedar/Crofton/Battle Creek/Stanton murders row, and they'd probably be in a Laurel/Homer situation of possibly not being able to field a team to finish the season or they'd be putting players in harms way that aren't ready for Friday night football. It's a school to school scenario, times have changed and it's time for our classification numbers to change, period.

Convince me.
need for a few,effecting over 100 teams , because they opt down C2 now has a top end near 135, just 4 years ago it was 119 and in D-1 it makes districts with 2 of the 5 not able to make playoffs, small schools risking players in games that only have consequences for one team and 32 in the playoffs with over 15% of the teams eligible and in D2 it raises its top end also, because 11 schools have a problem, now over 120 have a negative effect from it, even a small negative is to much. This why NO other State in USA allows this. They dont submit to the crying and poor me crap.

Talking to an AD from a perennial powerhouse a couple weeks ago, he mentioned at an AD meeting he attended that participation in football in Nebraska has dropped by over 20%, almost 30%, in the last 5 years. Part of it because the game is dangerous, another part because of a rise in "bullying" prevention. A lot of younger kids felt pressured to go out, and now schools are more likely to squash any type of bullying and name calling for those who don't play. So saying that if your school has 50 boys and half of them go out is even a stretch anymore.

need for a few,effecting over 100 teams , because they opt down C2 now has a top end near 135, just 4 years ago it was 119 and in D-1 it makes districts with 2 of the 5 not able to make playoffs, small schools risking players in games that only have consequences for one team and 32 in the playoffs with over 15% of the teams eligible and in D2 it raises its top end also, because 11 schools have a problem, now over 120 have a negative effect from it, even a small negative is to much. This why NO other State in USA allows this. They dont submit to the crying and poor me crap.

10 years ago C-2 number was 128...not far from 137. The number moves. "Crying and Poor Me Crap"...these schools tried to make a go of it in 11 man. Many had to FORFEIT games and Teams lost a game in their season(Negative Effect before they opted down)...which people complained about on here. Many games were absolute blow outs (Seniors weren't even getting to play past half-time in their final season - Negative Effect). Under developed players from these cry baby teams were getting hurt, where if they had the numbers they would have never been on the field in the first place (Negative Effect). Crying and Poor Me would be saying let us drop down and still be eligible for the playoffs though our number is too high because we still deserve to be in the play-offs. No these schools made a hard choice...knowing that was what they were sacrificing. They decided not to be in the play-offs for #1 the safety of their student athletes and #2 the development of the younger athletes in their programs (being able to play a J.V. Schedule). Play-offs were the farthest thing from their minds. So when it comes to D1/C2 cut-off you guys act like that number isn't a big deal and if you are above it make it work, play 11 man football. Yet when it comes to the C1/C2 cut-off number you act like these teams of 135 are getting an extra 20 players. What's the difference...make it work. Maybe it's time to start a movement. Screw the NSAA and start an independent 9-man league (just like 6 man) in Northeast Nebraska. South Dakota is a stones throw away, probably would help cut down on some travel time for their southern most border schools. All those "cry baby" schools would be gone, could have their own play-offs, and your cut-off number would still be high in C-2.

Reactions: UnionStreet77
10 years ago C-2 number was 128...not far from 137. The number moves. "Crying and Poor Me Crap"...these schools tried to make a go of it in 11 man. Many had to FORFEIT games and Teams lost a game in their season(Negative Effect before they opted down)...which people complained about on here. Many games were absolute blow outs (Seniors weren't even getting to play past half-time in their final season - Negative Effect). Under developed players from these cry baby teams were getting hurt, where if they had the numbers they would have never been on the field in the first place (Negative Effect). Crying and Poor Me would be saying let us drop down and still be eligible for the playoffs though our number is too high because we still deserve to be in the play-offs. No these schools made a hard choice...knowing that was what they were sacrificing. They decided not to be in the play-offs for #1 the safety of their student athletes and #2 the development of the younger athletes in their programs (being able to play a J.V. Schedule). Play-offs were the farthest thing from their minds. So when it comes to D1/C2 cut-off you guys act like that number isn't a big deal and if you are above it make it work, play 11 man football. Yet when it comes to the C1/C2 cut-off number you act like these teams of 135 are getting an extra 20 players. What's the difference...make it work. Maybe it's time to start a movement. Screw the NSAA and start an independent 9-man league (just like 6 man) in Northeast Nebraska. South Dakota is a stones throw away, probably would help cut down on some travel time for their southern most border schools. All those "cry baby" schools would be gone, could have their own play-offs, and your cut-off number would still be high in C-2.
Thats a 24% increase in C2 enrollment eligibility, thats a lot more than not far off and that 24% increase is do to the problem of other teams and it effects many other teams because of there problem, to many bleeding hearts in Nebraska, poor me, poor my school.

highschoolfootballnut has made the same point at least 20 times, he has stretched this thread from 2 pages to 4 by constantly repeating himself, we all know what point u have made and the NSAA and numerous schools disagree with it. The rules are the rules for now.

highschoolfootballnut has made the same point at least 20 times, he has stretched this thread from 2 pages to 4 by constantly repeating himself, we all know what point u have made and the NSAA and numerous schools disagree with it. The rules are the rules for now.
By all means I should just give in, and let the State of Nebraska believe this is the norm in every State and not point out the facts. What was I thinking having a debate on a discussion board. I am sure they have places for discussions, I dont know maybe someone should make a message board where people could discuss this, you know we could call it Huskerpreps and start a football discussion board. A place like that would be pretty cool.

By all means I should just give in, and let the State of Nebraska believe this is the norm in every State and not point out the facts. What was I thinking having a debate on a discussion board. I am sure they have places for discussions, I dont know maybe someone should make a message board where people could discuss this, you know we could call it Huskerpreps and start a football discussion board. A place like that would be pretty cool.

Just not sure what your point is anymore is all. So no opting down...period. Is that all you want?

Just not sure what your point is anymore is all. So no opting down...period. Is that all you want?
Not opting down, just the same as the rest of the world, yes I do believe the 8-man number needs raised and I do like the idea of 9-man, but if we stay right where we are more teams will opt down and soon D1 will be over 35% of the teams not even eligible and C2 will will see an increase in enrollment to over 145 causing the same effect in 2 to 4 years with more teams opting down

Reactions: huskerfan1414
As a general question to everyone in the thread, can anyone provide SPECIFIC games in which an opt down team has cost a playoff eligible team a trip to the post season playoffs? Again, I have tried to find these matchups but haven't been able to so far.

I am not going to look for specifics, although you can argue that seeding is affected by losing as it obviously is.
The argument you and I are having is not whether or not there is a negative effect...we seem to be arguing whether or not losing a game in the regular season is negative. You seem to think it doesn't matter. I strongly disagree, as football is about more than playoffs (proof is that teams are willing to miss them to play 8 man).
I believe that any team, specifically average or poor teams, who loses a regular season game to a drop down team have therefore been negatively affected by teams dropping down. These average to poor teams would have been scheduled against some other team, who is their same size and of legal classification, and these teams would perhaps have been more evenly matched and they might benefit with a win because of it or at least a more evenly matched game. Take any poor to average team playing a Neligh--maybe they would have played an evenly matched team instead (or maybe not, but their odds would be better). (Add in that there are no point benefits as there are when a D2 school has to play a D1 school and it becomes more negative.)

That, in itself, is a negative effect of drop-downs. You seem to be taking the stance that "they suck anyway and don't have a shot at state so it doesn't matter." I disagree with this stance, and I feel it is hypocritical of you to say that and disagree with people saying that C2 schools that suck should just not field a team. (I don't agree with those people btw.) The regular season matters, too.
Again I say in the current situation I am not against drop downs, but I also am not naive about negative effects for other teams.

I am not going to look for specifics, although you can argue that seeding is affected by losing as it obviously is.
The argument you and I are having is not whether or not there is a negative effect...we seem to be arguing whether or not losing a game in the regular season is negative. You seem to think it doesn't matter. I strongly disagree, as football is about more than playoffs (proof is that teams are willing to miss them to play 8 man).
I believe that any team, specifically average or poor teams, who loses a regular season game to a drop down team have therefore been negatively affected by teams dropping down. These average to poor teams would have been scheduled against some other team, who is their same size and of legal classification, and these teams would perhaps have been more evenly matched and they might benefit with a win because of it or at least a more evenly matched game. Take any poor to average team playing a Neligh--maybe they would have played an evenly matched team instead (or maybe not, but their odds would be better). (Add in that there are no point benefits as there are when a D2 school has to play a D1 school and it becomes more negative.)

That, in itself, is a negative effect of drop-downs. You seem to be taking the stance that "they suck anyway and don't have a shot at state so it doesn't matter." I disagree with this stance, and I feel it is hypocritical of you to say that and disagree with people saying that C2 schools that suck should just not field a team. (I don't agree with those people btw.) The regular season matters, too.
Again I say in the current situation I am not against drop downs, but I also am not naive about negative effects for other teams.

Not opting down, just the same as the rest of the world, yes I do believe the 8-man number needs raised and I do like the idea of 9-man, but if we stay right where we are more teams will opt down and soon D1 will be over 35% of the teams not even eligible and C2 will will see an increase in enrollment to over 145 causing the same effect in 2 to 4 years with more teams opting down

Agree....number needs to be raised, but it can't be left up to the administrators of the NSAA because D1/D2 schools will NEVER vote for the number to go up and only C2 and the lower end of C1 (which they probably like the opting down because it gets them out of C1) care about this issue. A & B could care less. The numbers of 93 and 98 where proposed before the last cylce and failed miserably.

What has a bigger effect on D1 and C2? Schools like Homer and Laurel playing C2 and forfeiting 50% or more of their games, badly losing every game they play, and having underdeveloped players play varsity exposing them to more serious injury, and having no JV games. Or having those same schools play D1, still losing badly but being more competitive and having a JV schedule?

What has a bigger effect on D1 and C2? Schools like Homer and Laurel playing C2 and forfeiting 50% or more of their games, badly losing every game they play, and having underdeveloped players play varsity exposing them to more serious injury, and having no JV games. Or having those same schools play D1, still losing badly but being more competitive and having a JV schedule?
Any negative effect on any team due to their problem, is to much ANY, Its thats schools problem, they play C2 or they dont play at all, why should any school even have 5% chance of negative effect due to Homer and Laurel want to develop players for future teams, every kid on that team has the open enrollment option to play football at another school and if not then dont play

Last edited:
There is no debate happening, you just continue to make the same point and not concede anything. The rules are the rules, maybe they will change, I am not sure how many games you have seen the opt down schools play in 11 man, but it is not a pretty sight, not every school has football tradition and numbers, I think Nebraska has done the right thing from a player safety stand point and it has not had a negative effect on the playoffs as a whole, other than possibly some seeding, however most first and second round games are blow outs anyway in D1.

Agree....number needs to be raised, but it can't be left up to the administrators of the NSAA because D1/D2 schools will NEVER vote for the number to go up and only C2 and the lower end of C1 (which they probably like the opting down because it gets them out of C1) care about this issue. A & B could care less. The numbers of 93 and 98 where proposed before the last cylce and failed miserably.
If it failed, it wasn't just the class D coaches that said so. I do think 98 is high. It should go to boys numbers counting only.

There is no debate happening, you just continue to make the same point and not concede anything. The rules are the rules, maybe they will change, I am not sure how many games you have seen the opt down schools play in 11 man, but it is not a pretty sight, not every school has football tradition and numbers, I think Nebraska has done the right thing from a player safety stand point and it has not had a negative effect on the playoffs as a whole, other than possibly some seeding, however most first and second round games are blow outs anyway in D1.
Your statement is wishy washy at best "No effect on playoffs, other than seeding" Not ever school has a football tradition, and instead work to build one, your okay with opting down to try to build one, and okay if it effects other teams and classes get larger enrollments

Your statement is wishy washy at best "No effect on playoffs, other than seeding" Not ever school has a football tradition, and instead work to build one, your okay with opting down to try to build one, and okay if it effects other teams and classes get larger enrollments
Yes I am OK with all those points.

I don't care either way about this issue. I bet if you ask Madison the numbers issue isn't so far fetched. They are forfeiting this weekend due to lack of numbers. Heard they tweeted it out on Wednesday.

Wilber, Battle Creek Central city, HCC, Centennial all look good, I think the title is wide open as the comp in the top 10 is very close
yes, no dominant team w/o aquinas. district 4 and 5 teams will be battle tested, i can see the champ coming out of there, or someone else gets hot (central city). It will be fun if Wilber gets to mix it up with BC or other district 4 team

yes, no dominant team w/o aquinas. district 4 and 5 teams will be battle tested, i can see the champ coming out of there, or someone else gets hot (central city). It will be fun if Wilber gets to mix it up with BC or other district 4 team
I wouldnt bet any money on anyone, there will be some great games

Once again thats Madisions problem, not every school in the state
Wow...simply wow. Not just Madison's problem. It's also the problem of the team that plays them and possibly the teams they may have to forfeit against in the next 2 weeks. Been a problem for not just Laurel and Homer, but all the teams that have lost games to them. Not to mention Weeping Water, Elwood (who canceled their entire season), and numerous other cancellations I'm sure I'm not even aware of. It is a problem that is impacting a lot of schools, not just "a few".

Wow...simply wow. Not just Madison's problem. It's also the problem of the team that plays them and possibly the teams they may have to forfeit against in the next 2 weeks. Been a problem for not just Laurel and Homer, but all the teams that have lost games to them. Not to mention Weeping Water, Elwood (who canceled their entire season), and numerous other cancellations I'm sure I'm not even aware of. It is a problem that is impacting a lot of schools, not just "a few".
I also wish teams had the choice not to accept the forfeit, as you only need 8 games, Stanton missed the playoffs last year, if I remember right, because they had to count a forfeit against LCC, which lowered there points, but this is a totally different subject.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I also wish teams had the choice not to accept the forfeit, as you only need 8 games, Stanton missed the playoffs last year, if I remember right, because they had to count a forfeit against LCC, which lowered there points, but this is a totally different subject.
Yes this is total crap. Since you miss out on a game it should be the team's choice whether or not to take the points.

Bill you keep your bleeding heart football mentality I am good with mine

Last year Aisnworth didn't finish their game with Battle Creek. Could be wrong but I think they had one more game to go at the end of the year after Battle Creek and didn't play that either.

Can't remember the year but either 2013 or 2014 Newcastle canceled their season the first week of the season and we're able to scrap together a last second 6 man schedule. That same year and the year before the cooped all sports except football with Ponca. After that school year they consolidated with Hartington. The NSAA and the voters deserve a lot of blame but the school's aren't also exempt from some of the blame as well.

Participation is down and likely will stay trending down for the foreseeable future. What is it going to take to make a change happen in enrollment limits? Half of D1 ineligible? 10 schools that forfeit games or an entire season? Look at other states enrollment limits for 8 man. Nebraska is not even close. Change with the times NSAA and Nebraska high schools and their AD's!

Bill you keep your bleeding heart football mentality I am good with mine
Call it bleeding heart if you want...I'm really o.k. with that and you can keep right on with your ignorant uninformed outsider mentality of what these towns have gone through and the tough decision they had to make. You have ZERO clue of what has gone on in these programs.

Reactions: Artfour3
FYI....per the school's website, Madison will forfeit tonight's game against O'Neill due to " a lack of numbers that are able to participate." Madison is a C1 school. Interesting times we now live in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT