ADVERTISEMENT

So this is happening

Did Guardian Angels change their mascot when they got consolidated from just West Point Catholic or whatever it was?
No. They went from West Point Central Catholic BACK to Guardian Angels Central Catholic. They were GACC for a long time before being WPCC (that might have happened in the 70's)?

No. They went from West Point Central Catholic BACK to Guardian Angels Central Catholic. They were GACC for a long time before being WPCC (that might have happened in the 70's)?
about 7 to 8 years ago all private catholic schools did their best to drop the city name from their name to try to bring in more from outside the area

about 7 to 8 years ago all private catholic schools did their best to drop the city name from their name to try to bring in more from outside the area
Not to nitpick, but aren't they the ONLY ones to do that? Am I missing somebody? GICC, NPSP, FCSH, HCC, DCA (Actually, I might see just Aquinas, occasionaly) HSC, Scotus officially uses Columbus, all the metro schools and Pius X use their city names...

Not to nitpick, but aren't they the ONLY ones to do that? Am I missing somebody? GICC, NPSP, FCSH, HCC, DCA (Actually, I might see just Aquinas, occasionaly) HSC, Scotus officially uses Columbus, all the metro schools and Pius X use their city names...
I think all of the rural Omaha Archdiocese schools outside of Norfolk Catholic have dropped the town names in the last two years or so.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Humphrey St. Francis still uses Humphrey according to the NSAA website. Cedar Catholic, Scotus, Aquinas, GACC, and St. Mary's do not use their town name.

Humphrey St. Francis still uses Humphrey according to the NSAA website. Cedar Catholic, Scotus, Aquinas, GACC, and St. Mary's do not use their town name.
As does Norfolk Catholic.

So does Kearney Catholic, GICC, North Platte St. Pat's, Falls City Sacred Heart....but I'm not familiar enough with the Catholic church to know which diocese those schools are in

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
As does Norfolk Catholic.

So does Kearney Catholic, GICC, North Platte St. Pat's, Falls City Sacred Heart....but I'm not familiar enough with the Catholic church to know which diocese those schools are in
On the NSAA page they are that way but officially I believe they have dropped the city name

Many schools like Scotus, Cedar and Aquinas have always had their traditional name. During the 70's and 80's those schools were labeled by the newspapers and radio as Columbus Scotus or Hartington Cedar Catholic to state their location.

Archbishop Bergan, Scotus Central Catholic, Cedar Catholic and Aquinas Catholic all dropped the town name a few years ago with the NSAA. Some media outlets say Fremont Bergan, but many are moving to using the traditional name.

Reactions: mww
This extends beyond private schools, too. There are some public schools that have dropped the town name.
Adams Central....not Hastings Adams Central
Northwest....not Grand Island Northwest
I *think* Lakeview still goes by Columbus Lakeview.

Private Schools that have dropped the town name- Followed by what they were commonly referred to as.
Aquinas Catholic- David City Aquinas
Archbishop Bergan- Fremont Bergan
Bishop Neumann- Wahoo Nuemann
Cedar Catholic- Hartington Cedar Catholic
Guardian Angels Central Catholic- West Point Central Catholic
Lourdes Central Catholic- Nebraska City Lourdes
Lutheran High Northeast- Norfolk Lutheran
Mount Michael Benedictine- Elkhorn Mount Michael
Parkview Christian- Lincoln Parkview Christian
Pope John- Elgin Pope John
Scotus Central Catholic- Columbus Scotus
St Mary's- O'Neill St Mary's

Private Schools that still use the town name
Falls City Sacred Heart
Grand Island Central Catholic
Hastings St. Cecilia
Humphrey St. Francis
Kearney Catholic
Lincoln Christian
Lincoln Lutheran
Lincoln Pius X
Lindsay Holy Family
Norfolk Catholic
North Platte St. Patrick's
Omaha Brownell-Talbot
Omaha Christian Academy
Omaha Concordia
Omaha Duchesne Academy
Omaha Gross Catholic
Omaha Marian
Omaha Mercy
Omaha Roncalli Catholic
Omaha Skutt Catholic

There are several other private schools that haven't changed their name, but their name doesn't indicate the town in which the school is located....Nebraska Christian (Central City), Nebraska Lutheran (Waco), Quest Forward Academy, Cornerstone Christian.

Something else of note, I think there are several public schools that have an elongated name that have never really been used by the general public. As an example, I'm pretty sure Schuyler is really Schuyler Central.

This extends beyond private schools, too. There are some public schools that have dropped the town name.

Private Schools that have dropped the town name- Followed by what they were commonly referred to as.

Falls City Sacred Heart
Hastings St. Cecilia
Humphrey St. Francis
Kearney Catholic
Lincoln Christian
Lincoln Lutheran
Lincoln Pius X
Lindsay Holy Family
Norfolk Catholic
Omaha Brownell-Talbot
Omaha Christian Academy
Omaha Concordia
Omaha Duchesne Academy
Omaha Gross Catholic
Omaha Marian
Omaha Mercy
Omaha Roncalli Catholic
Omaha Skutt Catholic

There are several other private schools that haven't changed their name, but their name doesn't indicate the town in which the school is located....Nebraska Christian (Central City), Nebraska Lutheran (Waco), Quest Forward Academy, Cornerstone Christian.

Something else of note, I think there are several public schools that have an elongated name that have never really been used by the general public. As an example, I'm pretty sure Schuyler is really Schuyler Central.
Correct. Schuyler’s actual name is Schuyler Central.

A unique one is Arapahoe. They are actually “Arapahoe-Holbrook” schools.

https://www.arapahoewarriors.org/
https://www.arapahoewarriors.org/

The transition team, tasked by Rev. Stan Schmit to help merge St. Francis and Lindsay Holy Family grades 7-12 and create a new school name and mascot.

The names are:

- Archangels Catholic High School

- Divine Mercy Central Catholic

- Holy Family Saint Francis Central Catholic

Archbishop George Lucas will make the final decision by the end of the month. The next step is to submit mascot recommendations.

Before the submission of the three names, in a letter posted on the two church websites, the transition team wrote that it had reached out to the archbishop for further clarification on what names and mascots would be accepted, as well as for an extension to the deadline to ensure time to gather input after the clarification.

In an email from the archbishop, he confirmed the following: “I understand that the transition team is making good progress. I have asked for three name submissions. If one of these three is some combination of current names and mascot, I will receive that. The other two should be unique in name and with a new mascot. I look forward to at least a brief paragraph with the reasoning for each of the submissions.”

The transition team said the archdiocese had granted an extension of the deadline to submit name options by Jan. 22, with the final combination of names and mascots to be submitted no later than Monday, Jan. 29.

“Overall, the team received 65 unique name submissions in addition to 29 variations of current school names both individually presented as well as combined. As you can imagine, it was quite the undertaking to narrow down this list in order to create a more manageable and less overwhelming process when asking for input from the communities,” the team wrote.

In narrowing down the selection, the team went through each name submitted and considered the uniqueness of name or names not already being used in area schools, parishes or entities; connection and meaning that aligns with the communities’ core values; and speech and connotation, taking into consideration cheers, chants, urban dictionary definitions, repercussions of acronyms and pairings.

“After many hours of discussion and prayer, the team was able to narrow down the list,” the team wrote.

Reactions: northeastNebraska

Falls City Sacred Heart
Hastings St. Cecilia
Humphrey St. Francis
Kearney Catholic
Lincoln Christian
Lincoln Lutheran
Lincoln Pius X
Lindsay Holy Family
Norfolk Catholic
Omaha Brownell-Talbot
Omaha Christian Academy
Omaha Concordia
Omaha Duchesne Academy
Omaha Gross Catholic
Omaha Marian
Omaha Mercy
Omaha Roncalli Catholic
Omaha Skutt Catholic

Like someone mentioned a lot of that, concerning Northwest and AC, was media driven. In fact they used a town for consolidations that never listed it anywhere officially, like Oxford-SV, Dalton-Leyton, Stella Sotheast, Roseland-Silver Lake...I kind of appreciated it actually, but that maybe just me.

Like someone mentioned a lot of that, concerning Northwest and AC, was media driven. In fact they used a town for consolidations that never listed it anywhere officially, like Oxford-SV, Dalton-Leyton, Stella Sotheast, Roseland-Silver Lake...I kind of appreciated it actually, but that maybe just me.
stella Southeast. been awhile since I heard of them, I know they closed around 2000 but congrats on knowing that

So then maybe the St Francis parishioners can stop paying their property taxes. Then Humphrey Public can “build their own shit” with their limited tax dollars

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ClkTwr2011
So then maybe the St Francis parishioners can stop paying their property taxes. Then Humphrey Public can “build their own shit” with their limited tax dollars
That’s not really how that works, but give it a go and see how it turns out for them. 😂

Reactions: Husker008
unfortunalty for you we live in the USA, where you can not pick and choose who attends your school and therefor you can not pick and choose who gets your tax dollars

Last edited:
Reactions: Husker008
stella Southeast. been awhile since I heard of them, I know they closed around 2000 but congrats on knowing that
One of the benefits of being old...My Freshman year of HS, second meet of the year, I had done ok in our first meet and a tri, and was a 3 seed. Kind of cocky until our coach comes out of a seeding meeting and said I had drawn a "senior, from "Southeast"". I had older cousins who were really good athletes at LSE..."WTF are they doing here" was my thought. Kid didn't look very tough...he wasn't real good, but I was terrified all the way up until I got the pin...lol...NEVER will forget the truth of that school's name!

Private schools pick and choose who attend their school luckily for the rest of us they can’t pick n choose what they do with their tax dollars
More lucky for us public school types is that they have those pesky, inconvenient things like real academic standards (with actual eligibility requirements), behavior expectations, and the like. Even more lucky is that they are limited in the number of full rides they can offer, unlike a public schools in a larger town/city or a smaller public school adjacent to such...

More lucky for us public school types is that they have those pesky, inconvenient things like real academic standards (with actual eligibility requirements), behavior expectations, and the like. Even more lucky is that they are limited in the number of full rides they can offer, unlike a public schools in a larger town/city or a smaller public school adjacent to such...
Well I wish you 'public school types' would do something about your 'behavior expectations' instead of just saying you have them. Because I've had kids in both Catholic and Public schools and right now - at least in the public schools I'm aware of - there are NO consequences for bad behavior. So spare me the holier than thou attitude about that....

Well I wish you 'public school types' would do something about your 'behavior expectations' instead of just saying you have them. Because I've had kids in both Catholic and Public schools and right now - at least in the public schools I'm aware of - there are NO consequences for bad behavior. So spare me the holier than thou attitude about that....
Read his post again. You are misunderstanding the sarcasm.

Reactions: mikeneujahr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT