ADVERTISEMENT

So this is happening

Humphrey and Lindsay should just build a public school halfway between both towns. Win/win for both towns and they would still draw well from surrounding communities with brand new facilities

I’ll never understand why people in a community don’t want to better their schools.
There’s multiple reasons why it didn’t pass and probably won’t in the future. #1 - the current school is only 20 years old (at the time it was said that it was plenty large enough for future enrollment increases). #2 - The big ol’ wart across the street known as HSF. “If we can’t have it, why should they”. #3 - The village of Lindsay won’t vote for it, not yet. The town is currently hurting from the Omaha diocese decision to close them down and they still have hope that they can open a school on their own.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
Looks like the folks in Lindsay are plenty serious, talking to NSAA about possibilities:

9. The Board heard from Humphrey and Lindsay Holy Family High Schools regarding a renewal of a cooperative sponsorship in football for the 2024-25 scheduling cycle, while considering a pending merger within the archdiocese that could affect Lindsay Holy Family during the 2025-26 school year. The Board reached a consensus that a transition from Lindsay Holy Family to Lindsay Academy within the cooperative sponsorship would be permitted, provided that Lindsay Academy gains accreditation through the Nebraska Department of Education and is approved as an NSAA member school.

I heard today that the archdiocese is making St. Francis and Holy Family merge starting next fall. Anyone else hear this?

Unless you are Humphrey Public who made decisions for the next football cycle based on numbers including LHF because the last information given was that this merger would not happen until the 25-26 school year.
Would Humphrey be 6 man by themselves?

Definitely D2 but as I’ve said on here a bunch of times, schools need to make decisions based on participation not enrollment. With this change Humphrey is potentially losing half of the expected roster. Couple that with the ridiculous time line requirement for declaring to the NSAA they will have no recourse.

Definitely D2 but as I’ve said on here a bunch of times, schools need to make decisions based on participation not enrollment. With this change Humphrey is potentially losing half of the expected roster. Couple that with the ridiculous time line requirement for declaring to the NSAA they will have no recourse.
I get what you are saying but Humphrey’s three year number is 33 and LHF’s is 9. I’m guessing some of those kids will transfer to Humphrey anyway so it shouldn’t be a big deal.

Unless you are Humphrey Public who made decisions for the next football cycle based on numbers including LHF because the last information given was that this merger would not happen until the 25-26 school year.
I thought they made this decision with the contingency that Lindsay Academy would be pushed through by entitled parents accredited in time

• Haha
Reactions: DonlugoQ
I think Lindsay Academy is completely separate from St. Francis/Holy Family.
St Francis is NOT including Lindsay Holy Family in name since there is no longer going to be a LHF schools. LHF is changing its name to Lindsay Academy. So, you’ll have St. Francis, Humphrey High and Lindsay Academy in which Humphrey high and Lindsay Academy will maintain their coop. The new high school is getting built along with the new community center, all in 1 building.

Anyone who’s more familiar with the area have any ideas on how many Lindsay family’s will send their kids to Humphrey public?

St Francis is NOT including Lindsay Holy Family in name since there is no longer going to be a LHF schools. LHF is changing its name to Lindsay Academy. So, you’ll have St. Francis, Humphrey High and Lindsay Academy in which Humphrey high and Lindsay Academy will maintain their coop. The new high school is getting built along with the new community center, all in 1 building.
I was told yesterday that they were rebranding the St. Fran/Holy Family thing so they wouldn’t be the Flyers.

Anyone who’s more familiar with the area have any ideas on how many Lindsay family’s will send their kids to Humphrey public?
There are not many kids at LHF 7-12, (I don’t believe they have a senior class this year) but I bet quite a few will transfer over to Humphrey Public Schools to start and over the years, it’ll balance out.

Why backtrack on the mascot issue now? Do they think that will placate the Lindsay contingent and end the Academy plans? That doesn't seem likely.

Why backtrack on the mascot issue now? Do they think that will placate the Lindsay contingent and end the Academy plans? That doesn't seem likely.
From what I've heard is that the name change and mascot change is coming from the Archdiocese.

But, it was the Archdiocese that made the original proposal to keep the Flyers name. The letter they sent included an extensive rationale if I remember right. So, now, they are changing course. They must think that it changes things for some people. I don't see that working, but, in the process, we lose a great mascot for no reason. That's a shame.

But, it was the Archdiocese that made the original proposal to keep the Flyers name. The letter they sent included an extensive rationale if I remember right. So, now, they are changing course. They must think that it changes things for some people. I don't see that working, but, in the process, we lose a great mascot for no reason. That's a shame.
I believe that original proposal was from HSF and LHF school boards and admin. Not the Archdiocese.

Proposal

Last edited:
Reactions: ClkTwr2011
Update from a letter to parishioners at St. Francis and Holy Family on 12-27-23.

Biggest takeaway.

At the conclusion of the 2023-2024 school year, both Humphrey St. Francis Junior and Senior High School and Lindsay Holy Family Junior and Senior High School will close. Those entities will cease to exist. A new junior and senior Catholic high school will then open in the fall, 2024, on the Humphrey campus, with a newname and a new mascot. Thank you for agreeing to submit to me suggestions for the school’s name and mascot, so that I can make a choice based on your local input.

12-27 Letter

Reactions: DonlugoQ
I wonder how this will effect the Humphrey-Lindsay Holy Family cooperative in football. Humphrey just gets left out to dry?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT