ADVERTISEMENT

Football Upset Alert

Dec 16, 2007
Nothing better than high school football playoffs! Are there any teams that could put on upset alert in the first round?

In C1,
I think #4 Wahoo came out with a tough first round opponent. #13 Kearney Catholic is no pushover. I expect this to be a 4 quarter game with Wahoo prevailing. Wahoo 40 Kearney Catholic 28

I also think #2 Fairbury got matched up with one of the best #15 seeds there has been in a long time. I don't know much about Fairbury so I can't speak on part of them but Pierce is....Pierce. Interested to see this outcome. Fairbury 32 Pierce 20

In C2.
#9 Battle Creek will travel to face #8 Wilber-Clatonia. This will be a great game, defending champ vs. always good Battle Creek. This game could go either way but my gut is telling me Battle Creek by less than a TD. Battle Creek 16 Wilber-Clatonia 14

#12 Yutan was going to put whatever team they played on upset alert. #5 Oakland-Craig is coming off of an impressive shutout vs. Fremont Bergan, and Yutan has won 6 straight (2 forfeits). Supposed to be very chilly on Friday which could make it hard for Oakland-Craig's all state receivers to catch some passes, but I think OC gets it done anyway. Oakland-Craig 26 Yutan 24

Let me know what you guys think!

Pierce has a pretty good draw....I could see them making it to the semifinal round without much reservation.

Nothing better than high school football playoffs! Are there any teams that could put on upset alert in the first round?

In C1,
I think #4 Wahoo came out with a tough first round opponent. #13 Kearney Catholic is no pushover. I expect this to be a 4 quarter game with Wahoo prevailing. Wahoo 40 Kearney Catholic 28

I also think #2 Fairbury got matched up with one of the best #15 seeds there has been in a long time. I don't know much about Fairbury so I can't speak on part of them but Pierce is....Pierce. Interested to see this outcome. Fairbury 32 Pierce 20

In C2.
#9 Battle Creek will travel to face #8 Wilber-Clatonia. This will be a great game, defending champ vs. always good Battle Creek. This game could go either way but my gut is telling me Battle Creek by less than a TD. Battle Creek 16 Wilber-Clatonia 14

#12 Yutan was going to put whatever team they played on upset alert. #5 Oakland-Craig is coming off of an impressive shutout vs. Fremont Bergan, and Yutan has won 6 straight (2 forfeits). Supposed to be very chilly on Friday which could make it hard for Oakland-Craig's all state receivers to catch some passes, but I think OC gets it done anyway. Oakland-Craig 26 Yutan 24

Let me know what you guys think!
I think C2 has 2 "upsets" that are likely. Lincoln Lutheran over St Pats is one. St Pat's pass defense is suspect, at best (1159 pass yards through week 8). That might be a shoot out because Schroll from St Pats is probably the fastest kid in C2. I also think Yutan over Oakland-Craig is a prime for an upset. Oakland-Craig's resume is far from flattering. A 4 point win over Logan View and a 3 point win in OT over 6 win Battle Creek are their best showings. Meanwhile Yutan took apart defending champ Wilber, then repeated that output against 7 win Lincoln Lutheran.

In C1 I will take Kearney Catholic over Wahoo. Last year the Stars went to Wahoo and won by 16. I also like Pierce to be competitive, maybe even beat Fairbury. Fairbury is the real deal, but their schedule is like the old Kansas State schedules. They haven't played anyone.

In B I like Northwest over Columbus. It is tough to beat a team twice in the same season. That also makes me believe Beatrice will beat Elkhorn, despite Elkhorn's win in that game in the regular season.

Reactions: gokodo
Fairbury is very good. Loaded at the skill positions
I don't doubt that. I'm just saying they haven't played anyone. Their best win is Auburn (8-1) and all 8 of Auburn's wins are against teams with a losing record. The only other decent win fairbury has was against Lincoln Christian, who is 6-3. You can't play cream puffs all season and then expect your kids to be able to handle real competition for 4 straight games in the playoffs. That's why I said Pierce will be competitive, maybe even win.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Has anyone seen Chadron play? I'd like to think Wayne has a decent shot.

Gothenburg is the only team Chadron played that sniffed the playoffs and they handled them. I think Wayne is probably more battle tested and if the weather is cooperative I'd pick Wayne to win.

Reactions: hailvictors2
I think C2 has 2 "upsets" that are likely. Lincoln Lutheran over St Pats is one. St Pat's pass defense is suspect, at best (1159 pass yards through week 8). That might be a shoot out because Schroll from St Pats is probably the fastest kid in C2. I also think Yutan over Oakland-Craig is a prime for an upset. Oakland-Craig's resume is far from flattering. A 4 point win over Logan View and a 3 point win in OT over 6 win Battle Creek are their best showings. Meanwhile Yutan took apart defending champ Wilber, then repeated that output against 7 win Lincoln Lutheran.

In C1 I will take Kearney Catholic over Wahoo. Last year the Stars went to Wahoo and won by 16. I also like Pierce to be competitive, maybe even beat Fairbury. Fairbury is the real deal, but their schedule is like the old Kansas State schedules. They haven't played anyone.

In B I like Northwest over Columbus. It is tough to beat a team twice in the same season. That also makes me believe Beatrice will beat Elkhorn, despite Elkhorn's win in that game in the regular season.

But didn't Yutan also lose to those two "best showings" of Oakland-Craig? I didn't closely follow either's season, though I'm somewhat familiar with Yutan's...but I would think close wins over Logan View and Battle Creek would be better than close losses to them.

But didn't Yutan also lose to those two "best showings" of Oakland-Craig? I didn't closely follow either's season, though I'm somewhat familiar with Yutan's...but I would think close wins over Logan View and Battle Creek would be better than close losses to them.

I don't know that comparing scores is a valid measure. Middle Tennessee beat Syracuse and Clemson lost to Syracuse. Do you really think Middle Tennessee would beat Clemson?

Yutan is a different team than what they were early.

C2 Thoughts:

-Ponca rolls DT. Running clock in the 2nd half.

-Battle Creek beats Wilber in a right one. Battle Creek is more battle tested.

-Oakland-Craig vs Yutan is tough to pick. Yutan is playing great now, but what the hell were they doing to start the year 0-3? I know all losses were to playoff teams, but still. Oakland dominated Bergan Friday. I think it’ll be tight, but I’ll say Oakland close. Hard to bet against Joe Anderson.

-I’ve heard Valentine has the best defense in C2. Sutton is know for their ground and pound style. Valentine lost to ALC who runs the ball well too. I think the Badgers win but I wouldn’t be surprised if Sutton sneaks one out.

-Is ALC for real? We will see. They played their two toughest games in weeks one and two St. Pat’s and Valentine. Hershey also played the Irish and Badgers pretty tight. ALC wins but Hershey will be physical with them.

-Not buying Lincoln Lutheran. Losing like they did against Yutan to end the year and not win the district title sits with you. If Lutheran beats Yutan,they probably could have had a home game. Now travel 3.5 hours. St. Pat’s wins with Schroll running all over them.

-HCC has a bad taste in their mouth after losing to Ponca I bet. They’ll try and take it out on Central City. Central City is coming off a win last night.

-Congrats to Logan View for making the playoffs for the first time in a decade. Cool for those kids and I hope they can keep their coach. Seems to have energized that program. Centennial had a tough game Friday but is on a mission after losing in the first round last year.

Reactions: ImN
ALC was for real but had 3 major injuries in the last few games that will really start showing. Got by Central City still, but it will show 2nd round.

I don't know that comparing scores is a valid measure. Middle Tennessee beat Syracuse and Clemson lost to Syracuse. Do you really think Middle Tennessee would beat Clemson?

Yutan is a different team than what they were early.

I guess I don't understand how that's much different than comparing best wins judged by perceived relative strength of opponents. I understand the transitive property doesn't work, but Yutan and Oakland-Craig played Battle Creek in back to back weeks. One team beat Battle Creek, one didn't. I don't get how one can say the win against Battle Creek isn't all that impressive and not also note that the other team lost to Battle Creek, which in my mind should then be even less impressive. Yes, they have better wins later in the season, but lacking head to head, something can be gleaned from common opponents.

Now, pointing out that Yutan is obviously playing much improved later on (and maybe there were injuries, missing players, I don't know) is a completely different thing.

Hope that clarifies my thoughts. Definitely not saying that since Yutan lost to Battle Creek by 2 and OC beat them by 3, that OC would beat Yutan by 5.

I guess I don't understand how that's much different than comparing best wins judged by perceived relative strength of opponents. I understand the transitive property doesn't work, but Yutan and Oakland-Craig played Battle Creek in back to back weeks. One team beat Battle Creek, one didn't. I don't get how one can say the win against Battle Creek isn't all that impressive and not also note that the other team lost to Battle Creek, which in my mind should then be even less impressive. Yes, they have better wins later in the season, but lacking head to head, something can be gleaned from common opponents.

Now, pointing out that Yutan is obviously playing much improved later on (and maybe there were injuries, missing players, I don't know) is a completely different thing.

Hope that clarifies my thoughts. Definitely not saying that since Yutan lost to Battle Creek by 2 and OC beat them by 3, that OC would beat Yutan by 5.
Agreed. I was suggesting that when the teams are at their best it looks like Yutan might have a higher ceiling. But....they definitely have a lower basement.

I would love to see Arcadia-Loup City at full strength play one of the traditional northeast powers (Ponca, Hartington). It would be the fastest game of all time with about 95% run plays.

Pierce played with Norfolk Catholic for all 4 quarters all well as anyone did this season and did so at a time in the season when they could have easily layed down and not played well.

In Class C-1 Pierce @ Fairbury - I think this game could really show how good Fairbury is or it might show how weak of a schedule they have played. Pierce has so much tradition for being a powerhouse in C-1 in the past. Pierce is not going to do anything fancy and pretty much just pound the football right at you they have play a much tougher schedule. The question is can Fairbury live up to the #2 seed we will wait and see. I think Pierce gets at big win on the road 25 to 21.

CLASS C-2 Wilber Clatonia @ Battle Creek.
This might be the fastest game with both being teams that pound the football. I think it will come down to turnovers and who can maybe come up some big play through the air. Battle Creek and Wilber both seem to struggle at the Quarterback position throwing the football. Who is going to make the big play? I am going to say Battle Creeks wins 21 to 20.

Yutan @ Oakland Craig
This should be a pretty good game! Yutan is coming in with alot of confidence after struggling earlier in the year. Yutan pretty much is going to line up and run the football right at you and say stop us. Yutan does have Sophomore Quarterback that has thrown for almost 800 yds. I think Yutan has a huge size advantage up front. I think Oakland Craig has a very balanced offensive attack but they really like to put the ball in the air with their QB and they have two really good receivers. I think the weather could play a big factor in this game especially for a team that likes to throw the football. I am going to say Yutan 24 - Oakland Craig 21.

Logan View @ Centennial - The Raiders haven't made the Playoffs for a very long time. This is my upset special, I think Logan View comes into this game with alot of confidence. Logan View also has a very good offense with Quarterback Jacob Polk who has thrown for 500 yds. They also have a talented running back in Brady Hull and a talented receiver in Nolan Miller. This group of seniors is going to look to pull the big upset and with Coach Seehly and this group of LV seniors I say Raiders win 24 to 20!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT