ADVERTISEMENT

Wakefield proposes new 47 million bond

Will be interesting to see if that passes. Hard to believe their enrollment is larger than it was a decade or 2 ago? And that 47 million doesn’t even get you a whole new school these days.

Twin rivers 49.5 million dollar bond failed by 150 votes this last week, that woulda built a whole new school and twin river schools serves 2-3 communities I think.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to build a country school with Allen and Emerson like Summerland? I think school boards forget who pays for these bonds. Property owners should have more weight in their vote.
The board members are typically property owners and community members....I think they are aware of how these bonds get paid.

About five years ago, Wakefield, Allen and Emerson were going to go together for an all-sports coop.....Wakefield pulled out at the last minute.

Will be interesting to see if that passes. Hard to believe their enrollment is larger than it was a decade or 2 ago? And that 47 million doesn’t even get you a whole new school these days.

Twin rivers 49.5 million dollar bond failed by 150 votes this last week, that woulda built a whole new school and twin river schools serves 2-3 communities I think.
I do believe Wakefield's enrollment is on the upswing

Seems like Wakefield is doing what it takes so they can have the regional school in the future. If Allen and EH close, those kids will need to go somewhere.

Allen and Wakefield should have merged decades ago.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to build a country school with Allen and Emerson like Summerland? I think school boards forget who pays for these bonds. Property owners should have more weight in their vote.
Pretty sure that land owners votes carrying more weight than non-land owners got settled a while ago...

Reactions: TC53
Twin Rivers Bond didn't pass?
No.

The Twin River District is very Geographically unique. There are many people that live in that District and have never educated their children in any of the 3 communities represented. There are many land owners that have generations of children educated in the Lakeview Schools system, Cross County, Clarks (High Plains), Osceola, and Shelby. It is a tough ask for those families to pay for a school that they have never and will never attend. Our own Governor grew up with a Monroe address and attended HS at Lakeview.

There are 4 schools that run a bus route to Silver Creek; Twin River, Nebraska Christian, Shelby-Rising City, and I believe Osceola is the 4th. All I know is that the $15M or $20M proposal from 15 years ago looks pretty appealing now.

To my point in earlier threads. It’s exactly the reason the state needs to step in all across the state
It is a great idea in theory, but the challenge is that the state really has no (or very little) financial input. It is really hard for someone that isn't contributing significantly to mandate what a school district must do financially.

I have wondered what a school district is supposed to do if their school falls into a state of disrepair, and the voters in the district won't support a new facility? Can the State Board of Education allow a Building Fund Mill Levy exception for a district to help put a band aid on a failing structure? Have schools ever had to just dissolve a district because they can't get a bond to pass? I don't know that Twin River is at that point. It is a general question. This is the 4th or 5th failed bond for Twin River.

To my point in earlier threads. It’s exactly the reason the state needs to step in all across the state
why are you against local control of both their school and their taxes ? why are you for big government making decisions or someone in Omaha or Lincoln telling someone in Mullen or Rushville what they have to do. Local control is the fairest susyem, local tax dollars fund 90% of a schools budget, if they want to pay it and want a school why do you want big government to take over ???

The state can only rule that your school doesn't meet the physical plant or curricular provisions of Rule 10, and you so can't operate that school anymore unless you meet those. Up to you how you pay for those. A lot of the late 1950s closings and consolidations were hurried along because districts could not provide things like science labs and school lunch programs that the state was requiring. They were facing needing a bond issue to build or remodel or dissolve the high school district. Not sure there are many schools facing those kinds of issues right now. Running out of students is not a Rule 10 violation.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
why are you against local control of both their school and their taxes ? why are you for big government making decisions or someone in Omaha or Lincoln telling someone in Mullen or Rushville what they have to do. Local control is the fairest susyem, local tax dollars fund 90% of a schools budget, if they want to pay it and want a school why do you want big government to take over ???
Has nothing to do with big government. I grew up in rural Nebraska and raised my children in rural Nebraska. I am a farmer and business owner.
In my opinion by allowing decisions to be made by people who don’t have direct emotional ties to the situation typically allows for better outcomes for all. Iowa did this years ago and I feel their school systems are head and shoulders better than ours. Allowing and giving our youth better opportunities not only in extracurricular activities but more importantly in educational opportunities! Wether that be a calculus class or welding.

Has nothing to do with big government. I grew up in rural Nebraska and raised my children in rural Nebraska. I am a farmer and business owner.
In my opinion by allowing decisions to be made by people who don’t have direct emotional ties to the situation typically allows for better outcomes for all. Iowa did this years ago and I feel their school systems are head and shoulders better than ours. Allowing and giving our youth better opportunities not only in extracurricular activities but more importantly in educational opportunities! Wether that be a calculus class or welding.
Iowa system worked for Iowa and forced consolidation, you fail to see that its way different in Nebraska Iowa has a smaller land mass and 40% more population than Nebraska Under your (Not Big Government) someone outside the area like the government making these decisions will force schools to do what they do not want to do, because you feel or the government feels its best for them, regardless what they want and want to pay for About as close to communism as you can get without being it

I like your reference to Iowa. When my dad was going to school there in the late 1950's, the State mandated that the rural areas move to a County School system. Lesser populated counties went to a single High School. However, back then the State was controlling the funds for the education system.

I am neither for or against the State mandating consolidation. I see the benefits, but see it the other way as well. The biggest advantage if it is forced from a State Level is that the bickering and bitching between the towns is minimal because it really isn't them against us. None of them made the decisions.

I like your reference to Iowa. When my dad was going to school there in the late 1950's, the State mandated that the rural areas move to a County School system. Lesser populated counties went to a single High School. However, back then the State was controlling the funds for the education system.

I am neither for or against the State mandating consolidation. I see the benefits, but see it the other way as well. The biggest advantage if it is forced from a State Level is that the bickering and bitching between the towns is minimal because it really isn't them against us. None of them made the decisions.
My points exactly. I’m not for or against either but some time’s common sense has to prevail.

If a town wants to have a school and the voters support it, the state has no right to stop that community. I get tired of people in the cities trying to sound like they know how it should be. Leave the small towns alone and worry about your own school. This state is FULL of small towns, its obvious when there are more 6 and 8 man football schools than 11 man. Its not even close. If you say you support local control, then get out of the way and let that community do what they feel is best for their kids.

If a town wants to have a school and the voters support it, the state has no right to stop that community. I get tired of people in the cities trying to sound like they know how it should be. Leave the small towns alone and worry about your own school. This state is FULL of small towns, its obvious when there are more 6 and 8 man football schools than 11 man. Its not even close. If you say you support local control, then get out of the way and let that community do what they feel is best for their kids.
I get what you are saying, and understand that you don't realize this......most of the people commenting are not "city folks". Anything said here is just conversation, it's not going to jeopardize any of the small schools.

I think it's important to extend the same respect that you are asking for. There's another side. There are small town people that actually WANT consolidations too. They want it because small schools can be (CAN BE) extremely inefficient. They can be limited in extracurricular programs as well as advanced level courses.

Don't get the wrong idea, I've clearly stated that I'm fine with it either way. I am simply encouraging you to not paint with too big of a brush by thinking everyone here supporting mandated consolidation is from "the cities". It's really not a city vs rural debate. The people in the cities don't care one bit about what's going on in Wakefield NE. Why would they? They aren't paying for it. Now a basketball shot clock is another story. That's important shit and the city folks will fight like hell to get that Class A clock.

I get what you are saying, and understand that you don't realize this......most of the people commenting are not "city folks". Anything said here is just conversation, it's not going to jeopardize any of the small schools.

I think it's important to extend the same respect that you are asking for. There's another side. There are small town people that actually WANT consolidations too. They want it because small schools can be (CAN BE) extremely inefficient. They can be limited in extracurricular programs as well as advanced level courses.

Don't get the wrong idea, I've clearly stated that I'm fine with it either way. I am simply encouraging you to not paint with too big of a brush by thinking everyone here supporting mandated consolidation is from "the cities". It's really not a city vs rural debate. The people in the cities don't care one bit about what's going on in Wakefield NE.
This. I grew up in a town under 1,000 people. My school has been in merger discussions with multiple schools for 40-50 years. Should have merged in the 80's, the late 90's, the late 00's and they should just dissolve the district now. By the time my friends and I reached high school, we would have been ready to merge with one neighboring district for sure. Our teams would have been great at the C2 level (both made state basketball multiple years in D1 and D2.) Our class size would have gone from 21 to maybe 35?

The rural Nebraska most of us grew up with is a lot different. It's not 1993 anymore. It's not 2003 anymore. Need to adapt.

IMO, for example. There is absolutely no reason for there to be three K-12 schools in the three communities of Allen, Wakefield and Emerson. There should be 1.

There is definitely no reason to have 6 (!) K-12 schools in area of Creighton, Bloomfield, Wausa, Plainview, Osmond and Randolph. It's so inefficient to run these old buildings that have classrooms that are half empty, old gyms, decreasing enrollments. Sharing staff can only last so long too. Between those six schools there are 5 Spanish teachers (Wausa and Bloomfield share). Can't imagine those classes are full at all six schools. Imagine if they built two new schools that way? Or built two new high school in the middle of the six and the towns keep their elementary schools?

I understand west and north of Broken Bow, things get harder. But things need to change east of Kearney. Share your resources. If schools consolidate now, they will SAVE money down the road. Instead of throwing it into old electrical, redoing old roofs, fixing old equipment, etc.

I bet if you ask a majority of people in the Clearwater, Ewing and Orchard area if they regret the decision, to build a nice, regional school, their answer would be no.

Last edited:
This. I grew up in a town under 1,000 people. My school has been in merger discussions with multiple schools for 40-50 years. Should have merged in the 80's, the late 90's, the late 00's and they should just dissolve the district now. By the time my friends and I reached high school, we would have been ready to merge with one neighboring district for sure. Our teams would have been great at the C2 level (both made state basketball multiple years in D1 and D2. Our class size would have gone from 21 to maybe 35?

The rural Nebraska most of us grew up with is a lot different. It's not 1993 anymore. It's not 2003 anymore. Need to adapt.

IMO, for example. There is absolutely no reason for there to be three K-12 schools in the three communities of Allen, Wakefield and Emerson. There should be 1.

There is definitely no reason to have 6 (!) K-12 schools in area of Creighton, Bloomfield, Wausa, Plainview, Osmond and Randolph. It's so inefficient to run these old buildings that have classrooms that are half empty, old gyms, decreasing enrollments. Sharing staff can only last so long too. Between those six schools there are 5 Spanish teachers (Wausa and Bloomfield share). Can't imagine those classes are full at all six schools. Imagine if they built two new schools that way? Or built two new high school in the middle of the six and the towns keep their elementary schools?

I understand west and north of Broken Bow, things get harder. But things need to change east of Kearney. Share your resources. If schools consolidate now, they will SAVE money down the road. Instead of throwing it into old electrical, redoing old roofs, fixing old equipment, etc.

I bet if you ask a majority of people in the Clearwater, Ewing and Orchard area if they regret the decision, to build a nice, regional school, their answer would be no.
This why we have a thing called voting. You see if this community wants a change they just vote the board members in who want a change also. You understand how voting works right ? LOL

This why we have a thing called voting. You see if this community wants a change they just vote the board members in who want a change also. You understand how voting works right ? LOL
I understand how it works. I'm pro consolidation, but I understand why it doesn't happen and I can respect those who want to keep every little country school open. Even though it's not efficient at all.

I wish school and communities leaders would look 5-10 years forward. Populations are dwindling in some of these towns. Adapt for the kids. It's not a bad thing to have grades with 40-50 kids. It's not a bad thing to have new facilities.

Reactions: Hardwoodbeaver
I understand how it works. I'm pro consolidation, but I understand why it doesn't happen and I can respect those who want to keep every little country school open. Even though it's not efficient at all.

I wish school and communities leaders would look 5-10 years forward. Populations are dwindling in some of these towns. Adapt for the kids. It's not a bad thing to have grades with 40-50 kids. It's not a bad thing to have new facilities.
I agree in some fashion but I 100% agree those local people should and will decide what they want by using the American way VOTING, we area free country. We are not a commy country or dictatorship and it should not be decided by someone who doesn't live in the area or big government deciding

This. I grew up in a town under 1,000 people. My school has been in merger discussions with multiple schools for 40-50 years. Should have merged in the 80's, the late 90's, the late 00's and they should just dissolve the district now. By the time my friends and I reached high school, we would have been ready to merge with one neighboring district for sure. Our teams would have been great at the C2 level (both made state basketball multiple years in D1 and D2. Our class size would have gone from 21 to maybe 35?

Probably a bit much mandating that these six communities must consolidate. That's quite a large area there.

Probably a bit much mandating that these six communities must consolidate. That's quite a large area there.
I agree all six coming together is too much. But why not have two, three or four schools?

Creighton-Plainview
Wausa-Bloomfield
Osmond-Randolph

Creighton-Bloomfield
Wausa-Osmond
Plainview
Randolph

I agree in some fashion but I 100% agree those local people should and will decide what they want by using the American way VOTING, we area free country. We are not a commy country or dictatorship and it should not be decided by someone who doesn't live in the area or big government deciding
I think every situation is different. If a Class C or D school is losing 50 kids annually to opting out, an outside source or resource needs to step in with fresh eyes to see what is wrong.

Again, sometimes people locally are blinded by loyalty and their own personal agendas. Especially in small towns.

Reactions: nenebskers
I think every situation is different. If a Class C or D school is losing 50 kids annually to opting out, an outside source or resource needs to step in with fresh eyes to see what is wrong.

Again, sometimes people locally are blinded by loyalty and their own personal agendas. Especially in small towns.
maybe so but not for me or you to decide it is up to those people, they vote and they alone live with the result of that vote, Freedom of choice and not having that and hand picking and deciding what is best for people is 100% big goverment and not freedom We have to much of that today and we dont need more. People need to mind their own business and do what you can to help your area make the decsion you feel is best for your school and community.

maybe so but not for me or you to decide it is up to those people, they vote and they alone live with the result of that vote, Freedom of choice and not having that and hand picking and deciding what is best for people is 100% big goverment and not freedom We have to much of that today and we dont need more. People need to mind their own business and do what you can to help your area make the decsion you feel is best for your school and community.
I think everyone understood your opinion on "freedom" the first five times you told us on this thread. People get to disagree with you on topics, you don't need to try to shout everyone down and call them commies.

I think everyone understood your opinion on "freedom" the first five times you told us on this thread. People get to disagree with you on topics, you don't need to try to shout everyone down and call them commies.
isn't crazy that talking about freedom is now a bully wow unreal, let me get this straight, I respond to someones point with a basic answer of how not allowing local control is not freedom, that person then responds and I respond again with basic voting a American values and you get all worked up because this (shouting) talking down, freedom talk conflicts with your point of view. This is called a debate It is also part of that whole freedom thing to pal. LOL Out of curiosity what do call someone who want to take the power out of the peoples hand and let an outside source( the government) decide whats best for you?

Last edited:
isn't crazy that talking about freedom is now a bully wow unreal, let me get this straight, I respond to someones point with a basic answer of how not allowing local control is not freedom, that person then responds and I respond again with basic voting a American values and you get all worked up because this (shouting) talking down, freedom talk conflicts with your point of view. This is called a debate It is also part of that whole freedom thing to pal. LOL Out of curiosity what do call someone who want to take the power out of the peoples hand and let an outside source( the government) decide whats best for you?
I'm not an outside source. I live here. I just want my kid to be able to take calculus and other college level classes, and have the same opportunity. You keep posting the same thing over and over, do you really think there are secret communists 20 miles down the road from you trying to ruin your small school? It's embarrassing, this is Nebraska, the most conservative state in the U.S. You keep ruining every conversation with this nonsense, it's exhausting to read.

Hysterical hyperbole is what I think is unreal. By the way, I'm a property taxpayer in this district - seems like I have more right to an opinion than you, right? That's your logic.
If you live in that community you bet you do, if you do then get more on like you and it will happen unless you are the minority and this is what the voter wants

I'm not an outside source. I live here. I just want my kid to be able to take calculus and other college level classes, and have the same opportunity. You keep posting the same thing over and over, do you really think there are secret communists 20 miles down the road from you trying to ruin your small school? It's embarrassing, this is Nebraska, the most conservative state in the U.S. You keep ruining every conversation with this nonsense, it's exhausting to read.
I am not the one who wants someone else to get the community to do what you want regardless of the vote Just seems you want what you feel is best regardless of what the community wants and if you cant get what you want by voting, you want to change the entire system because you are self-righteous and believe you are correct regardless what the vote says. I suggest you educate your voters on the benefit and it still maybe what they just do not want, but in the end it should be up to those voters

I am not the one who wants someone else to get the community to do what you want regardless of the vote
There hasn't even been a vote. I think it would be a great idea but I'm not losing sleep about it. Someone on here mentions how much money would be saved by consolidating or how kids could benefit and you lose your mind. Every time. If these schools consolidate it will be because we vote on it. We know how the law works, nobody wants to send out small school closure squads to force everyone into a class C school. Iowa had the ability to do that, because they fund their schools that way. Nebraska funds locally, so we get to keep small districts. That doesn't mean it is always best for kids.

There hasn't even been a vote. I think it would be a great idea but I'm not losing sleep about it. Someone on here mentions how much money would be saved by consolidating or how kids could benefit and you lose your mind. Every time. If these schools consolidate it will be because we vote on it. We know how the law works, nobody wants to send out small school closure squads to force everyone into a class C school. Iowa had the ability to do that, because they fund their schools that way. Nebraska funds locally, so we get to keep small districts. That doesn't mean it is always best for kids.
There has been a vote every school board election, you can become a candidate or support one who has your believes You can do many things but the answer is not make people do what you want.

Just don't even argue with him. It's the same thing over and over anytime school consolidation is brought up.

Reactions: Husker008
This. I grew up in a town under 1,000 people. My school has been in merger discussions with multiple schools for 40-50 years. Should have merged in the 80's, the late 90's, the late 00's and they should just dissolve the district now. By the time my friends and I reached high school, we would have been ready to merge with one neighboring district for sure. Our teams would have been great at the C2 level (both made state basketball multiple years in D1 and D2.) Our class size would have gone from 21 to maybe 35?

Out of curiosity, you said you grew up in a town under 1,000. Do you still live in that district, or a one of similar size?

Would be interesting to see if they would be competitive in anything if they combined. Looks like Atleast for football they would be a c1 school.

Co-ops usually only happen when 2 communities face the facts and that sometimes take a very long time based on the communities standards because let’s face it every co-op happens with the purpose of winning ball games. It took that summerland trio almost a decade of struggling to agree on building a really nice facility now.

I’m not in the area but would think it would be awfully difficult for the communities of Allen, Emerson, and Hubbard to close their school doors and head to Wakefield. Would guess it would be equally as hard for Wakefield to close their doors and build a county school.

The other issue is farmers are the ones essentially supporting these schools but are usually out numbered by the vote of the towns people. I honestly don’t know if you asked a farmer if they would rather support their current school or pay to build a new one with a bond what they would say.

Reactions: saluno22
Ummm...

In school year 2019–20, elementary and secondary public school revenues totaled $871 billion in constant 2021–22 dollars. Of this total, 8 percent, or $66 billion, were from federal sources. Some 47 percent, or $414 billion, were from state sources and 45 percent, or $391 billion, were from local sources.

Ummm...

In school year 2019–20, elementary and secondary public school revenues totaled $871 billion in constant 2021–22 dollars. Of this total, 8 percent, or $66 billion, were from federal sources. Some 47 percent, or $414 billion, were from state sources and 45 percent, or $391 billion, were from local sources.
what are you saying

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT