ADVERTISEMENT

You Don't Walk My Halls

Buff-alo

Junior
Feb 28, 2006
I am posting to address the opinions of all the critics on here that have ridiculed our school for the past six years for opting down to Class D-1. My name is Mike Hassler, I’ve been the K-12 Art Teacher at Wakefield Community Schools since 2005. Along with that, I am also the sponsor of yearbook, Art Club, and the school’s inflatable mascot. I have been the schools head track coach since 2008 and have been involved with the Football team since I first arrived. The last 9 years as head coach. I have been a paying member of the Huskerland Prep Online Community for over 15 years and I enjoy the wonderful coverage by Bob Jensen, and the lively discussion that ensues on the message boards. One thing is for sure, Nebraska still has a passion for High School Football.

For those of you that do not know, Wakefield has a wonderful, diverse population of students. I don’t have the exact number, but we are right around 50% Hispanic K-12. I absolutely love my job and the opportunity to work with students from different ethnic backgrounds. My daughter will start pre-school here next year and I am excited that she will get the same experience as me.

With that being said, why do we opt down? We are just like any other school in Northeast Nebraska (or anywhere in Nebraska for that case). Of all the 13 teams on our 2006 state title schedule, the only squads that remain 11 man are Wayne (who is struggling for numbers this year), Lyons-Decatur (Co-op), Ponca, and Fremont Bergan. Many teams on that schedule have dropped as far as Class D-2. As many know, Northeast Nebraska C-2 Football is some of the best in the state. In 2009 the State Champion (Ponca) and State-Runner-Up (Cedar) came out of our district. From 2009 to 2011 we went 1-23 with a 22 game losing streak mixed in there. With each season, our numbers went from 38, to 35, to 31. When we qualified for the play-offs in 2012 we suited 27. Our last season of 11 man saw 23 boys on our squad. Most games that season less than 20 boys were suited, there were several times on a Monday we wondered if we would be able to survive and finish the next game on Friday. In the span of five years we never had a full J.V. schedule, in 2012 and 2013 we played two and a half of our twelve J.V. games. This was absolutely horrible for the health of our football program, as younger players were never allowed the opportunity to develop or were simply thrown to the wolves on Friday night.

The decrease in participation followed the pattern of all other schools in our area. The only difference was our student population was not dropping. When it comes to Athletics, we are a D-1 school trapped in a C-2 schools body. As I stated we have a wonderful, diverse population of students. Every year the percentage of Hispanic students in our school has grown. I love having them in my classroom and their families in our community. There are barriers that keep my Hispanic students from participating in football. The first being language. It takes time, but many have limited English speaking skills when they arrive. In a game of communication like football, that doesn’t work. Many that move in have never grown up around the game, so we are starting from square one if they do go out for football. The biggest issue is they can’t afford to be a part of team. Every year we have a free & reduced lunch count that is close to 60% of our student population. I have students that go to school for 8 hours and work for 8 hours. Football is not an option for them because they need to provide for their families. I could go on with many more examples, but I hope you get my point. Talk to schools like Schuyler, Lexington, South Sioux City, and Madison. They will tell you the same things.

What were our options headed into the 2014-2015 scheduling cycle? We looked at all of them. Co-op? In 2014 no one was ready to Co-op. Allen and Emerson-Hubbard still had strong numbers and were the biggest schools in Class D-2. So we looked at opting down. At that time, it was our only option for the well-being and health of our football program. We took a vote of our boys, they overwhelming voted to opt down knowing the playoffs was not an option. We have voted with each two year cycle, and both of those times it was almost one hundred percent in favor of playing 8-man. Our first season of 8-man we went 3-5. Every team but one on our schedule suited more boys then us. In 2015 I had a very talented squad that went 2-6 because 8 starters missed 13 games due to injury. Thank god we were 8-man, because I guarantee we would have cancelled games that year had we been 11-man. In 2016 we went 6-2, we did not beat a team with a winning record. The 2017 season saw a 7-1 record, the one loss being a 70-38 drubbing at the hands of Creighton. Last season we went 6-2 with big wins over LHNE, GACC, and Wisner-Pilger. Those wins did not happen because we were a C-2 school opting down. They happened because we work our rear ends off in the weight room and we have had a full J.V. schedule every year since opting down. My boys were provided the opportunity to develop at their own pace. Even during the injury riddled season of 2015, I did not have to put a player on the field that wasn’t ready for varsity action. My boys have been given the chance to learn a system. Our last years of 11 man were scrambling and changing offenses and defenses to fit the limited number of skill types our team had. We are successful because of the work we put in, not because we should be C-2.

During this time period of opting down, we have not been sitting here twiddling our thumbs. When the NSAA started to look at Classification by boys count. My administration was at the forefront pushing for a number as high as 55-58, which would have put us on par with most states that offer 8-man football. Had that number passed we would have qualified for 8-man this last 2 year cycle. It fell on deaf ears though and participating schools set the number at 47 (which I think quite a few regret now). In 2017 and 2018 I put a proposal together called the “50% Free & Reduced Lunch” rule. It was based off a rule the State of Minnesota uses. I will not go into detail, google it if you are intrigued. It failed miserably both times, no schools wanted to listen to the issues that schools with our student demographic face.

Six years later we are now starting to approach the Co-op bridge. Emerson-Hubbard and Allen are ready, but it will still take time and there are a lot of wrinkles that need to be ironed out. I have been proactive and a champion for my football players for the past 9 years. My only interest is their safety and a quality high school experience playing the game of football that I love.

I get tired of the uneducated comments about my program and what we “should” and “shouldn’t” be doing. Next time you feel like criticizing my football program with so little knowledge to back your opinion. Take a moment, pick up your phone and give me a call at Wakefield Community Schools, the number is 402-287-2012. I would be more than happy to give you a tour of my wonderful school and sit down with you, and let you look me straight in the eyes and say what you have to say. Football is a new game in a new era, it is not the game we all grew up with in the 80s, 90, and 00s.

With all that being said, I wanted to tip my hat to my young men. The victory over Creighton on Friday night was six years of hard work becoming a reality. My hat is off to Coach Kliment and his boys, they put up a heck of a fight and showed the heart of a champion.

Thanks for reading, you all know where to find me.

Coach Mike Hassler – Wakefield Trojan Football

I am posting to address the opinions of all the critics on here that have ridiculed our school for the past six years for opting down to Class D-1. My name is Mike Hassler, I’ve been the K-12 Art Teacher at Wakefield Community Schools since 2005. Along with that, I am also the sponsor of yearbook, Art Club, and the school’s inflatable mascot. I have been the schools head track coach since 2008 and have been involved with the Football team since I first arrived. The last 9 years as head coach. I have been a paying member of the Huskerland Prep Online Community for over 15 years and I enjoy the wonderful coverage by Bob Jensen, and the lively discussion that ensues on the message boards. One thing is for sure, Nebraska still has a passion for High School Football.

For those of you that do not know, Wakefield has a wonderful, diverse population of students. I don’t have the exact number, but we are right around 50% Hispanic K-12. I absolutely love my job and the opportunity to work with students from different ethnic backgrounds. My daughter will start pre-school here next year and I am excited that she will get the same experience as me.

With that being said, why do we opt down? We are just like any other school in Northeast Nebraska (or anywhere in Nebraska for that case). Of all the 13 teams on our 2006 state title schedule, the only squads that remain 11 man are Wayne (who is struggling for numbers this year), Lyons-Decatur (Co-op), Ponca, and Fremont Bergan. Many teams on that schedule have dropped as far as Class D-2. As many know, Northeast Nebraska C-2 Football is some of the best in the state. In 2009 the State Champion (Ponca) and State-Runner-Up (Cedar) came out of our district. From 2009 to 2011 we went 1-23 with a 22 game losing streak mixed in there. With each season, our numbers went from 38, to 35, to 31. When we qualified for the play-offs in 2012 we suited 27. Our last season of 11 man saw 23 boys on our squad. Most games that season less than 20 boys were suited, there were several times on a Monday we wondered if we would be able to survive and finish the next game on Friday. In the span of five years we never had a full J.V. schedule, in 2012 and 2013 we played two and a half of our twelve J.V. games. This was absolutely horrible for the health of our football program, as younger players were never allowed the opportunity to develop or were simply thrown to the wolves on Friday night.

The decrease in participation followed the pattern of all other schools in our area. The only difference was our student population was not dropping. When it comes to Athletics, we are a D-1 school trapped in a C-2 schools body. As I stated we have a wonderful, diverse population of students. Every year the percentage of Hispanic students in our school has grown. I love having them in my classroom and their families in our community. There are barriers that keep my Hispanic students from participating in football. The first being language. It takes time, but many have limited English speaking skills when they arrive. In a game of communication like football, that doesn’t work. Many that move in have never grown up around the game, so we are starting from square one if they do go out for football. The biggest issue is they can’t afford to be a part of team. Every year we have a free & reduced lunch count that is close to 60% of our student population. I have students that go to school for 8 hours and work for 8 hours. Football is not an option for them because they need to provide for their families. I could go on with many more examples, but I hope you get my point. Talk to schools like Schuyler, Lexington, South Sioux City, and Madison. They will tell you the same things.

What were our options headed into the 2014-2015 scheduling cycle? We looked at all of them. Co-op? In 2014 no one was ready to Co-op. Allen and Emerson-Hubbard still had strong numbers and were the biggest schools in Class D-2. So we looked at opting down. At that time, it was our only option for the well-being and health of our football program. We took a vote of our boys, they overwhelming voted to opt down knowing the playoffs was not an option. We have voted with each two year cycle, and both of those times it was almost one hundred percent in favor of playing 8-man. Our first season of 8-man we went 3-5. Every team but one on our schedule suited more boys then us. In 2015 I had a very talented squad that went 2-6 because 8 starters missed 13 games due to injury. Thank god we were 8-man, because I guarantee we would have cancelled games that year had we been 11-man. In 2016 we went 6-2, we did not beat a team with a winning record. The 2017 season saw a 7-1 record, the one loss being a 70-38 drubbing at the hands of Creighton. Last season we went 6-2 with big wins over LHNE, GACC, and Wisner-Pilger. Those wins did not happen because we were a C-2 school opting down. They happened because we work our rear ends off in the weight room and we have had a full J.V. schedule every year since opting down. My boys were provided the opportunity to develop at their own pace. Even during the injury riddled season of 2015, I did not have to put a player on the field that wasn’t ready for varsity action. My boys have been given the chance to learn a system. Our last years of 11 man were scrambling and changing offenses and defenses to fit the limited number of skill types our team had. We are successful because of the work we put in, not because we should be C-2.

During this time period of opting down, we have not been sitting here twiddling our thumbs. When the NSAA started to look at Classification by boys count. My administration was at the forefront pushing for a number as high as 55-58, which would have put us on par with most states that offer 8-man football. Had that number passed we would have qualified for 8-man this last 2 year cycle. It fell on deaf ears though and participating schools set the number at 47 (which I think quite a few regret now). In 2017 and 2018 I put a proposal together called the “50% Free & Reduced Lunch” rule. It was based off a rule the State of Minnesota uses. I will not go into detail, google it if you are intrigued. It failed miserably both times, no schools wanted to listen to the issues that schools with our student demographic face.

Six years later we are now starting to approach the Co-op bridge. Emerson-Hubbard and Allen are ready, but it will still take time and there are a lot of wrinkles that need to be ironed out. I have been proactive and a champion for my football players for the past 9 years. My only interest is their safety and a quality high school experience playing the game of football that I love.

I get tired of the uneducated comments about my program and what we “should” and “shouldn’t” be doing. Next time you feel like criticizing my football program with so little knowledge to back your opinion. Take a moment, pick up your phone and give me a call at Wakefield Community Schools, the number is 402-287-2012. I would be more than happy to give you a tour of my wonderful school and sit down with you, and let you look me straight in the eyes and say what you have to say. Football is a new game in a new era, it is not the game we all grew up with in the 80s, 90, and 00s.

With all that being said, I wanted to tip my hat to my young men. The victory over Creighton on Friday night was six years of hard work becoming a reality. My hat is off to Coach Kliment and his boys, they put up a heck of a fight and showed the heart of a champion.

Coach Mike Hassler – Wakefield Trojan Football
Great post but now your problem gets to effect other schools because you opt down and thats not fair to others, so still doesnt change my mind, cant play in your class in football try another sport. Thanks for the input but I am not a believer in making your schools struggles effecting others now.

Quite a post. Don't let a forum get to you, its the internet.
While I understand the opting down and the state number being a tad low, something stood out.
I bolded two ideas in your post above that contradict each other.
If your only concern was health and fun, you wouldn't be worried about making the playoffs as an eligible team and having the entire NSAA cater to your schools preferences and needs. I agree the base number could go up some, but the “rule” you propose is flat wrong. Theres a big difference between “we need the ability to opt down” and “the nsaa needs to have special rules for us that make other programs accept a disadvantage to deal with our issues”. Your ability to make the playoffs and play in the class you desire isn't of concern to other schools nor should it be. And have you walked their halls? Something to consider.

I get the opting down, many schools just need to. To soften the blow, I believe there should be extra points awarded to teams who play a school which has opted down, win or lose, much like extra points in other sports for playing teams up a class.
Congrats to Wakefield on the big win last week.

I'm not here to argue, just want to bring light to our situation. I will respond though.

Highschoolfootballnut... The way I see it, I stay 11-man and have to cancel games, my problem just became the problem of the teams that lost games due to us not fielding a team. My 2012 Play-off team lost a game that season because of Homer, that sucked for my Seniors. I vowed to make sure we were never in a position where we had to forfeit a game or cancel a season. If Co-oping had been an option in 2014 I would have pushed for it. It wasn't, I did what I had to do to keep my program alive. But to simply say my boys should go find another sport, then you truly don't understand the benefit of high school football and the lessons it can teach young men. Give me a call when you have time (see phone number above)... I'll set up a time and you can come in and tell my boys they don't deserve to play high school football because we don't play in Class C-2.

Husker1414... Not sure how I contradicted myself. We opt down and aren't eligible for the play-offs, a choice my school made to ensure the safety of our kids...period. But for me to sit there and twiddle my thumbs and do nothing, I said I am also a champion for my program and my boys. Would I love for them to have an opportunity to be in the play-offs? Absolutely, that is why I tried to find avenues to get us into Class D-1 where we belong. As I stated before we are a D-1 school trapped in a C-2 schools body (studies have shown that schools with high poverty rates have 35% less kids participate in school activities because of factors that do not even allow them the opportunity). So yes I'll fight for my kids to be in the play-offs, but I will not do it at the expense of their well being and long term health, thus we have stayed ineligible these past 6 years. So as you can see, safety is indeed my number one priority for my players. As for the "You Don't Walk My Hallways" thread title, I guess I should clarify. The thread title is not only for us but all the high schools that have had to deal with participation issues in the past several years. Many people not close to the situation are quick to pass judgement on what is wrong with these schools, communities, programs, etc... but many of you have no clue what is really going on in those schools. Finally, who's halls do you feel I need to go walk? Just curious... I'm always up for a good road trip and have visited many schools in this great state over the course of my teaching/coaching career.

Also a quick question for dogs93 (from "Scores Week #1" thread): You stated that we would have made the play-offs multiple times in C-2. Please enlighten me on which years those were? I've been a Coach at the C-2 level in the meat grinder that is C-2 Northeast Nebraska Football. Would love to know which years I missed play-off opportunities. Also thank you for the compliment on my great backs, I do feel I have a great group of young men. As for my HUGE line that started the other night, it went (left to right by position) Left Tight End (165) / Left Guard (160) / Center (185) / Right Guard (240) / and Right Tight End (200). Not sure how that qualified as HUGE. I will note that my starting Left Guard was a back-up as my 220 lb. Senior that would have started there broke his hand.

Again, thank you to all that have read my post. I just want to educate more people on our situation and why we do what we do. We are definitely a state that is passionate about its high school football.

I'm not here to argue, just want to bring light to our situation. I will respond though.

Highschoolfootballnut... The way I see it, I stay 11-man and have to cancel games, my problem just became the problem of the teams that lost games due to us not fielding a team. My 2012 Play-off team lost a game that season because of Homer, that sucked for my Seniors. I vowed to make sure we were never in a position where we had to forfeit a game or cancel a season. If Co-oping had been an option in 2014 I would have pushed for it. It wasn't, I did what I had to do to keep my program alive. But to simply say my boys should go find another sport, then you truly don't understand the benefit of high school football and the lessons it can teach young men. Give me a call when you have time (see phone number above)... I'll set up a time and you can come in and tell my boys they don't deserve to play high school football because we don't play in Class C-2.

Husker1414... Not sure how I contradicted myself. We opt down and aren't eligible for the play-offs, a choice my school made to ensure the safety of our kids...period. But for me to sit there and twiddle my thumbs and do nothing, I said I am also a champion for my program and my boys. Would I love for them to have an opportunity to be in the play-offs? Absolutely, that is why I tried to find avenues to get us into Class D-1 where we belong. As I stated before we are a D-1 school trapped in a C-2 schools body (studies have shown that schools with high poverty rates have 35% less kids participate in school activities because of factors that do not even allow them the opportunity). So yes I'll fight for my kids to be in the play-offs, but I will not do it at the expense of their well being and long term health, thus we have stayed ineligible these past 6 years. So as you can see, safety is indeed my number one priority for my players. As for the "You Don't Walk My Hallways" thread title, I guess I should clarify. The thread title is not only for us but all the high schools that have had to deal with participation issues in the past several years. Many people not close to the situation are quick to pass judgement on what is wrong with these schools, communities, programs, etc... but many of you have no clue what is really going on in those schools. Finally, who's halls do you feel I need to go walk? Just curious... I'm always up for a good road trip and have visited many schools in this great state over the course of my teaching/coaching career.

Also a quick question for dogs93 (from "Scores Week #1" thread): You stated that we would have made the play-offs multiple times in C-2. Please enlighten me on which years those were? I've been a Coach at the C-2 level in the meat grinder that is C-2 Northeast Nebraska Football. Would love to know which years I missed play-off opportunities. Also thank you for the compliment on my great backs, I do feel I have a great group of young men. As for my HUGE line that started the other night, it went (left to right by position) Left Tight End (165) / Left Guard (160) / Center (185) / Right Guard (240) / and Right Tight End (200). Not sure how that qualified as HUGE. I will note that my starting Left Guard was a back-up as my 220 lb. Senior that would have started there broke his hand.

Again, thank you to all that have read my post. I just want to educate more people on our situation and why we do what we do. We are definitely a state that is passionate about its high school football.
Your players would still have a chance to play football, the can open option enroll into wayne or and other surrounding school and play football, or you can play a 8 game JV schedule ever year, you have many option, its just the easy option to opt down and share your problems and make them problems for others. I agree the enrollment cut off should be above 50 or at least 50, again your AD can write this proposal and submit to vote in your NSAA district, you can do this every year if you want and if the rest of the state agrees with a majority vote it will be. I did not see that increase proposal last year ?

Your players would still have a chance to play football, the can open option enroll into wayne or and other surrounding school and play football, or you can play a 8 game JV schedule ever year, you have many option, its just the easy option to opt down and share your problems and make them problems for others. I agree the enrollment cut off should be above 50 or at least 50, again your AD can write this proposal and submit to vote in your NSAA district, you can do this every year if you want and if the rest of the state agrees with a majority vote it will be. I did not see that increase proposal last year ?
As you've heard we are working towards a co-op, so my focus is there right now. I am at the fore front trying to encourage my community to commit to it. Should it fall through I will take your advice and submit that proposal. May do it regardless of what we do, as we have a number that is way to low. Don't believe changing the number from 47 to 50 will change much. My feeling, and this is just my feeling, is that it needs to be at least 55.

As you've heard we are working towards a co-op, so my focus is there right now. I am at the fore front trying to encourage my community to commit to it. Should it fall through I will take your advice and submit that proposal. May do it regardless of what we do, as we have a number that is way to low. Don't believe changing the number from 47 to 50 will change much. My feeling, and this is just my feeling, is that it needs to be at least 55.
Agree 55 would help, you know this but you will right the proposal if you do not co-op( cause why write it sooner if you can share your problem upon other people) and you did not right one last year or the year before or the year before that Kinda proves my point Thanks

Not gonna turn this into an argument Nut. Tried to agree with you that your idea was good, but yet all you do is ridicule because you have already made up your mind that Wakefield has ruined Nebraska High School Football for everyone. I'm not going to convince you otherwise. Just wanted to share my story to help educate people of our decision, how we came to it, and that we are indeed being proactive (at least I can say Wakefield has never had to cancel a game or a season, which I am proud of that). I know not everyone is going to agree with me. You know where to find me and who I am, feel free to call me and pay me a visit. I rather have this discussion face to face and not behind a keyboard.

Reactions: SPbObRT
Not gonna turn this into an argument Nut. Tried to agree with you that your idea was good, but yet all you do is ridicule because you have already made up your mind that Wakefield has ruined Nebraska High School Football for everyone. I'm not going to convince you otherwise. Just wanted to share my story to help educate people of our decision, how we came to it, and that we are indeed being proactive (at least I can say Wakefield has never had to cancel a game or a season, which I am proud of that). I know not everyone is going to agree with me. You know where to find me and who I am, feel free to call me and pay me a visit. I rather have this discussion face to face and not behind a keyboard.
Fair enough

Coach Hassler, I like your response and understand your situation. A lot of schools in Nebraska are in what I call a no win situation. Don't coop and you either have to opt down (get ridiculed for doing that) or stay at your class and possibly have to forfeit games due to low numbers. At the same time coop and numbers still stay low in a lot of cases because kids won't go out due to the " I won't play with kids from that school etc." Been through and going through that now. At the same time coop and go up a class and in a year or two participation numbers are low again and back to the same issue. I don't have an issue with schools opting down, to me its no different than the state giving schools the 2 year cycle if their enrollment goes up to stay at the class they were in. For example, their are schools playing 6 man and playoff eligible when they could be D-1 just because they were playing 6 man when the state took over, however start a no coop and be at 48 instead of 47 and you have to play 11 man, no 2 year cycle break, even if you can show after 1 year your numbers will be well below the 47. Then the choice opt down for 1 year and be eligible the second. As has been shown, opting down is not a popular choice. Could you have been successful at 11 man maybe yes, maybe no. Stayed 11 man all this time and maybe not got some of those young men out. Had you stayed 11, sounds like not much of a j.v. program. That kills your varsity program, seeing that now with us. Again, do what is best for your kids and program. Like I said before, like your response.

Coach Hassler,
I 100% understand your side of it and applaud what you have done for your program. I have no clue who hsfbnut is but as a former coach who has seen the struggle first hand, I get it. Completely. It’s not ideal situation but in your profession it’s impossible to keep everyone happy. I’m sure comments on here have literally caused you to lose sleep but I hope support from your school, community, and most importantly your players heavily outweigh the negative comments here. Have a great rest of your season and congrats on the big win (my first coaching stop was at Hartington Public so any win over Creighton is a great feeling!) Best time of the year!

Coach Hassler, I like your response and understand your situation. A lot of schools in Nebraska are in what I call a no win situation. Don't coop and you either have to opt down (get ridiculed for doing that) or stay at your class and possibly have to forfeit games due to low numbers. At the same time coop and numbers still stay low in a lot of cases because kids won't go out due to the " I won't play with kids from that school etc." Been through and going through that now. At the same time coop and go up a class and in a year or two participation numbers are low again and back to the same issue. I don't have an issue with schools opting down, to me its no different than the state giving schools the 2 year cycle if their enrollment goes up to stay at the class they were in. For example, their are schools playing 6 man and playoff eligible when they could be D-1 just because they were playing 6 man when the state took over, however start a no coop and be at 48 instead of 47 and you have to play 11 man, no 2 year cycle break, even if you can show after 1 year your numbers will be well below the 47. Then the choice opt down for 1 year and be eligible the second. As has been shown, opting down is not a popular choice. Could you have been successful at 11 man maybe yes, maybe no. Stayed 11 man all this time and maybe not got some of those young men out. Had you stayed 11, sounds like not much of a j.v. program. That kills your varsity program, seeing that now with us. Again, do what is best for your kids and program. Like I said before, like your response.
I still think sometimes you have to make the decision to just play JV for a 2year cycle

I still think sometimes you have to make the decision to just play JV for a 2year cycle

How is that fair to the kids though? They don't sign up to play football on Monday night, they want to play on Friday night.

Every school needs to do what is best for their school. I'd much rather have a school opt down and play every week than have them forfeit games later in the season because they don't have enough players to play a game. I'd also rather see young kids be allowed to develop in a JV setting rather than have them thrown to the wolves on a Friday night against a team like Norfolk Catholic. In my opinion Wakefield did what is best for their community, school and football program. Thanks for sharing your insight with us Coach.

How is that fair to the kids though? They don't sign up to play football on Monday night, they want to play on Friday night.

Every school needs to do what is best for their school. I'd much rather have a school opt down and play every week than have them forfeit games later in the season because they don't have enough players to play a game. I'd also rather see young kids be allowed to develop in a JV setting rather than have them thrown to the wolves on a Friday night against a team like Norfolk Catholic. In my opinion Wakefield did what is best for their community, school and football program. Thanks for sharing your insight with us Coach.
They can open enroll to another school HOW is it fair to share your problems and afflict other teams, its your schools problem not others schools.

Quick Question highschoolfootball nut.... What is your High School Coaching back ground, just curious?

Saying a school should cancel football if they don't fit your standard and if kids want to play then they should transfer is complete ignorance. The objective of a school is to give students learning opportunities. It is NOT a sports institution. If Wakefield and the several other schools who opt down want to then they are making the decision to be ineligible for the playoffs. By playing 11-man with the chance of forfeiting games then they are doing a lot of harm to not only their players, but everyone else on their schedule. Yeah sure they have a good team this year. But guess what? They take 32 teams to the playoffs and getting a loss to a Div 1 team who is not eligible for the playoffs will not hinder an opponents playoff birth. Saying it is unfair for them to share their problems with other schools is a joke. What problem are they sharing? The problem would happen if they had to cancel 11 man games. If Wakefield was able to qualify for the playoffs then you'd have an argument.

They can open enroll to another school HOW is it fair to share your problems and afflict other teams, its your schools problem not others schools.

Why should kids have to open enroll to someplace else? Is it fair to make a kid from Wakefield go to Wayne just so they can play football?

32 teams still make the playoffs in 8 man football. Not sure how playing against schools that are ineligible for the playoffs have an impact on the teams that do make the playoffs.

In several cases, 8-man teams would benefit with a loss to Wakefield. With 32 teams in the playoffs, there are a handful that make it in with a powerpoint avg of less than 39, the amount they'd get for losing to Wakefield.

So your answer is to have them open enroll to other schools instead of opting down? So when basketball and wrestling roll around and Wakefield doesn't have the boys to field those sports because they all open enrolled to another school to play football then what? They can't just open enroll back to play basketball and wrestle.

Saying a school should cancel football if they don't fit your standard and if kids want to play then they should transfer is complete ignorance. The objective of a school is to give students learning opportunities. It is NOT a sports institution. If Wakefield and the several other schools who opt down want to then they are making the decision to be ineligible for the playoffs. By playing 11-man with the chance of forfeiting games then they are doing a lot of harm to not only their players, but everyone else on their schedule. Yeah sure they have a good team this year. But guess what? They take 32 teams to the playoffs and getting a loss to a Div 1 team who is not eligible for the playoffs will not hinder an opponents playoff birth. Saying it is unfair for them to share their problems with other schools is a joke. What problem are they sharing? The problem would happen if they had to cancel 11 man games. If Wakefield was able to qualify for the playoffs then you'd have an argument.
They can play football in their class and they can play varsity or if not enough JV

Why should kids have to open enroll to someplace else? Is it fair to make a kid from Wakefield go to Wayne just so they can play football?

32 teams still make the playoffs in 8 man football. Not sure how playing against schools that are ineligible for the playoffs have an impact on the teams that do make the playoffs.
again you okay with making your problem a problem for everyone else but you want to sacrifice as little as possible

...and your high school coaching experience nut?
18 years as a head coach 8 years as an assistant coach Currently at a school that has 51% free and reduced and 25% ELL and in the lower half of a class, so I know ELL does effect a lot but that is my schools problem not everyones problem, if we know free and reduce and ELL has these troubles then why no multiplier in the state of Nebraska

There are 7 schools who have opted down to play "modified" football and will be ineligible for the playoffs. Do you think these school make this move because they want to? It's a move with a pretty harsh punishment of not being able to make the playoffs. But it's also a move that helps the school give their students an opportunity to play football. Again, what problem are they making for other schools? Do you think D1 schools are upset they have to play a former C-1 Madison?

Because as stated in the above for mentioned paragraph that started this post, it says they can not compete in the class they should be in due to free and reduce rate and ELL, because of these factors they are able to get kids out, many seem to agree but yet I see no one voting for a multiplier or writing a proposal for one or to raise enrollment all I hear is excuses and no action. They current rule is they can opt down but its not solving the problem its making more share the problem and that is not fair. Action take some action and not set back and say whoa is me

There are 7 schools who have opted down to play "modified" football and will be ineligible for the playoffs. Do you think these school make this move because they want to? It's a move with a pretty harsh punishment of not being able to make the playoffs. But it's also a move that helps the school give their students an opportunity to play football. Again, what problem are they making for other schools? Do you think D1 schools are upset they have to play a former C-1 Madison?
and that problem they have can and does have a negative effect on teams that play in the class they belong in. How is that fair

Man of that Coaching background! I would absolutely love to sit down and talk football with you Highschoolfootballnut. I've stated who I am and where I can be reached. Look forward to your call. Until that point, everything you post from here on out is posted by a man that wants to hide behind a keyboard.

Reactions: runningback43
First off how's it my problem? Secondly how's this problem becoming a problem for everybody else?
So you think its fair the year you have kids out and stomp some team that maybe has 18 out and has an enrollment of 37 and losses a good player to injury playing a school that should be in a class above and now their season is negatively impacted, what are the positives for the school that has to play you, NOTHING they only get a possible negative outcome,

Man of that Coaching background! I would absolutely love to sit down and talk football with you Highschoolfootballnut. I've stated who I am and where I can be reached. Look forward to your call. Until that point, everything you post from here on out is posted by a man that wants to hide behind a keyboard.
I wondered when you stop debating and start with the coward crap

They can play football in their class and they can play varsity or if not enough JV
It sounds like you are trying to kill football in NE Neb even faster than it is already dying. If you have coached in a small school, you’d understand that option enrolling just for football is not a realistic option.

It sounds like you are trying to kill football in NE Neb even faster than it is already dying. If you have coached in a small school, you’d understand that option enrolling just for football is not a realistic option.
Can you state a positive for the teams that have to play you

and correct if they wanted to play football they would have to play all sports at that school and yet I hear no action just poor me

So you think its fair the year you have kids out and stomp some team that maybe has 18 out and has an enrollment of 37 and losses a good player to injury playing a school that should be in a class above and now their season is negatively impacted, what are the positives for the school that has to play you, NOTHING they only get a possible negative outcome,

Where did I say I coached 8 man football? The answer to that question is I didn't say I coached 8 man football. All I am doing is standing up for Wakefield and the reasons why they opt down.

Why is it ok for teams to only have 18 to 21 kids out for football and play 11 man and then end up forfeiting games? In my opinion it's more of a problem having teams without enough kids trying to play 11 man and then forfeiting games than having teams opt down.

Where did I say I coached 8 man football? The answer to that question is I didn't say I coached 8 man football. All I am doing is standing up for Wakefield and the reasons why they opt down.

Why is it ok for teams to only have 18 to 21 kids out for football and play 11 man and then end up forfeiting games? In my opinion it's more of a problem having teams without enough kids trying to play 11 man and then forfeiting games than having teams opt down.
again what is the positives for the other team

Coward... I'm not the one hiding behind a screen name. You obviously didn't read all of my original post. I tried twice to get a multiplier passed in this state and the other schools didn't want anything to do with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT