ADVERTISEMENT

You Don't Walk My Halls

Coward... I'm not the one hiding behind a screen name. You obviously didn't read all of my original post. I tried twice to get a multiplier passed in this state and the other schools didn't want anything to do with it.
so looks like its not that big a problem to all then, but I would keep trying I have yet to see one based anything similar to other states

They get that game to play even if your not allowed to opt down, and forfeits will happen no matter what you do unless you increase class size Action take some action

There would be a lot more forfeits if teams were not allowed to opt down. I'm a firm believer that school has to do what is best for their students. If a school needs to opt down, then go ahead and opt down.

We at Wakefield have proposed the 50% free and reduced proposals the last two years in the month of November. It is based off of what the state of Minnesota does to help schools with a high poverty rate.

Reactions: coachlanum
How is that fair to the kids though? They don't sign up to play football on Monday night, they want to play on Friday night.

Every school needs to do what is best for their school. I'd much rather have a school opt down and play every week than have them forfeit games later in the season because they don't have enough players to play a game. I'd also rather see young kids be allowed to develop in a JV setting rather than have them thrown to the wolves on a Friday night against a team like Norfolk Catholic. In my opinion Wakefield did what is best for their community, school and football program. Thanks for sharing your insight with us Coach.

Also, good luck finding a "full" 8-man JV schedule if you went through the JV only route.

Without being willing to drive 1-2 hours one way on a Monday night, there's no way I could find 6 or more JV games for our team.

Reactions: coachlanum
Also, good luck finding a "full" 8-man JV schedule if you went through the JV only route.

Without being willing to drive 1-2 hours one way on a Monday night, there's no way I could find 6 or more JV games for our team.

I have heard it's hard finding JV games for 11 man schools as well.

It sounds like you are trying to kill football in NE Neb even faster than it is already dying. If you have coached in a small school, you’d understand that option enrolling just for football is not a realistic option.
and correct if they wanted to play football they would have to play all sports at that school and yet I hear no action just poor me
So these players should leave their hometowns/friends/coaches, make parents get them transportation, etc..... all because a couple “nuts” think they should have to option enroll?

When a school makes a decision for their kids it should be about whats best for them. What is the difference between a D2 team playing up against a D1 team or a D1 team playing a team that's playing D1 and ineligible for the playoffs? I believe that participation numbers are more relevant than enrollment. Perkins County had to forfeit games last year because of low numbers but they were right at the number for the eight man cutoff. I coached 8 man football and we played a lot of games in our D2 class that had 32 to 35 kids on their roster while we had 16.

We at Wakefield have proposed the 50% free and reduced proposals the last two years in the month of November. It is based off of what the state of Minnesota does to help schools with a high poverty rate.
You should try Missouri route to multiplier or Illinois

So these players should leave their hometowns/friends/coaches, make parents get them transportation, etc..... all because a couple “nuts” think they should have to option enroll?
So terrible I wonder how so many other states manage Must just be a Nebraska thing

So terrible I wonder how so many other states manage Must just be a Nebraska thing
If you think Missouri is so great, maybe you should move there. Don't try and tell students that they basically have to option(which isn't an option at all in this case) enroll when they consistently don't have 11 man numbers. Don't get me started on the JV schedule thing, you should be able to figure that out on your own.

You obviously have some sort of beef with some school that is doing this. The arguments that you make are not relevant in any realistic, small town scenario. There are NO schools doing this just to "take it out" on smaller enrollments. They are doing it in the best interest of their kids.

I wondered when you stop debating and start with the coward crap

I am an innocent bystander here, never coached football in my life. Watched my 4 boys play football for 10 years in C-1 and C-2. Most years we suited under 20 players by mid-season, and were lucky to play 2 JV games a year. We consolidated about 20 years ago, and have never had a winning season. Most seasons we are lucky to win 2 games. Twin River football has struggled for sure.

Buff-alo has been pretty open here. He has put everything out there for all of the ridicule and criticism. He hasn't held anything back.

I am impressed to say the very least.

You two have a lot in common. You guys could probably help one another a great deal.

I am posting to address the opinions of all the critics on here that have ridiculed our school for the past six years for opting down to Class D-1. My name is Mike Hassler, I’ve been the K-12 Art Teacher at Wakefield Community Schools since 2005. Along with that, I am also the sponsor of yearbook, Art Club, and the school’s inflatable mascot. I have been the schools head track coach since 2008 and have been involved with the Football team since I first arrived. The last 9 years as head coach. I have been a paying member of the Huskerland Prep Online Community for over 15 years and I enjoy the wonderful coverage by Bob Jensen, and the lively discussion that ensues on the message boards. One thing is for sure, Nebraska still has a passion for High School Football.

For those of you that do not know, Wakefield has a wonderful, diverse population of students. I don’t have the exact number, but we are right around 50% Hispanic K-12. I absolutely love my job and the opportunity to work with students from different ethnic backgrounds. My daughter will start pre-school here next year and I am excited that she will get the same experience as me.

With that being said, why do we opt down? We are just like any other school in Northeast Nebraska (or anywhere in Nebraska for that case). Of all the 13 teams on our 2006 state title schedule, the only squads that remain 11 man are Wayne (who is struggling for numbers this year), Lyons-Decatur (Co-op), Ponca, and Fremont Bergan. Many teams on that schedule have dropped as far as Class D-2. As many know, Northeast Nebraska C-2 Football is some of the best in the state. In 2009 the State Champion (Ponca) and State-Runner-Up (Cedar) came out of our district. From 2009 to 2011 we went 1-23 with a 22 game losing streak mixed in there. With each season, our numbers went from 38, to 35, to 31. When we qualified for the play-offs in 2012 we suited 27. Our last season of 11 man saw 23 boys on our squad. Most games that season less than 20 boys were suited, there were several times on a Monday we wondered if we would be able to survive and finish the next game on Friday. In the span of five years we never had a full J.V. schedule, in 2012 and 2013 we played two and a half of our twelve J.V. games. This was absolutely horrible for the health of our football program, as younger players were never allowed the opportunity to develop or were simply thrown to the wolves on Friday night.

The decrease in participation followed the pattern of all other schools in our area. The only difference was our student population was not dropping. When it comes to Athletics, we are a D-1 school trapped in a C-2 schools body. As I stated we have a wonderful, diverse population of students. Every year the percentage of Hispanic students in our school has grown. I love having them in my classroom and their families in our community. There are barriers that keep my Hispanic students from participating in football. The first being language. It takes time, but many have limited English speaking skills when they arrive. In a game of communication like football, that doesn’t work. Many that move in have never grown up around the game, so we are starting from square one if they do go out for football. The biggest issue is they can’t afford to be a part of team. Every year we have a free & reduced lunch count that is close to 60% of our student population. I have students that go to school for 8 hours and work for 8 hours. Football is not an option for them because they need to provide for their families. I could go on with many more examples, but I hope you get my point. Talk to schools like Schuyler, Lexington, South Sioux City, and Madison. They will tell you the same things.

What were our options headed into the 2014-2015 scheduling cycle? We looked at all of them. Co-op? In 2014 no one was ready to Co-op. Allen and Emerson-Hubbard still had strong numbers and were the biggest schools in Class D-2. So we looked at opting down. At that time, it was our only option for the well-being and health of our football program. We took a vote of our boys, they overwhelming voted to opt down knowing the playoffs was not an option. We have voted with each two year cycle, and both of those times it was almost one hundred percent in favor of playing 8-man. Our first season of 8-man we went 3-5. Every team but one on our schedule suited more boys then us. In 2015 I had a very talented squad that went 2-6 because 8 starters missed 13 games due to injury. Thank god we were 8-man, because I guarantee we would have cancelled games that year had we been 11-man. In 2016 we went 6-2, we did not beat a team with a winning record. The 2017 season saw a 7-1 record, the one loss being a 70-38 drubbing at the hands of Creighton. Last season we went 6-2 with big wins over LHNE, GACC, and Wisner-Pilger. Those wins did not happen because we were a C-2 school opting down. They happened because we work our rear ends off in the weight room and we have had a full J.V. schedule every year since opting down. My boys were provided the opportunity to develop at their own pace. Even during the injury riddled season of 2015, I did not have to put a player on the field that wasn’t ready for varsity action. My boys have been given the chance to learn a system. Our last years of 11 man were scrambling and changing offenses and defenses to fit the limited number of skill types our team had. We are successful because of the work we put in, not because we should be C-2.

During this time period of opting down, we have not been sitting here twiddling our thumbs. When the NSAA started to look at Classification by boys count. My administration was at the forefront pushing for a number as high as 55-58, which would have put us on par with most states that offer 8-man football. Had that number passed we would have qualified for 8-man this last 2 year cycle. It fell on deaf ears though and participating schools set the number at 47 (which I think quite a few regret now). In 2017 and 2018 I put a proposal together called the “50% Free & Reduced Lunch” rule. It was based off a rule the State of Minnesota uses. I will not go into detail, google it if you are intrigued. It failed miserably both times, no schools wanted to listen to the issues that schools with our student demographic face.

Six years later we are now starting to approach the Co-op bridge. Emerson-Hubbard and Allen are ready, but it will still take time and there are a lot of wrinkles that need to be ironed out. I have been proactive and a champion for my football players for the past 9 years. My only interest is their safety and a quality high school experience playing the game of football that I love.

I get tired of the uneducated comments about my program and what we “should” and “shouldn’t” be doing. Next time you feel like criticizing my football program with so little knowledge to back your opinion. Take a moment, pick up your phone and give me a call at Wakefield Community Schools, the number is 402-287-2012. I would be more than happy to give you a tour of my wonderful school and sit down with you, and let you look me straight in the eyes and say what you have to say. Football is a new game in a new era, it is not the game we all grew up with in the 80s, 90, and 00s.

With all that being said, I wanted to tip my hat to my young men. The victory over Creighton on Friday night was six years of hard work becoming a reality. My hat is off to Coach Kliment and his boys, they put up a heck of a fight and showed the heart of a champion.

Thanks for reading, you all know where to find me.

Coach Mike Hassler – Wakefield Trojan Football

Thank you for the insight and that was a damn nice win last week!

Colorado also has a unique system of classifying schools, they use several factors, including enrollment, history of success and economic/socio demographics.

Reactions: JAW20
Coward... I'm not the one hiding behind a screen name. You obviously didn't read all of my original post. I tried twice to get a multiplier passed in this state and the other schools didn't want anything to do with it.

I don't believe he is accusing you of being a coward (which you are anything but). He is of the opinion that you have given up on the debate in favor of pointing him out as a coward because he won't put his name on his posts.

If you think Missouri is so great, maybe you should move there. Don't try and tell students that they basically have to option(which isn't an option at all in this case) enroll when they consistently don't have 11 man numbers. Don't get me started on the JV schedule thing, you should be able to figure that out on your own.

You obviously have some sort of beef with some school that is doing this. The arguments that you make are not relevant in any realistic, small town scenario. There are NO schools doing this just to "take it out" on smaller enrollments. They are doing it in the best interest of their kids.
I have no dog in the fight I have not played or coached against a team who was opting down, but its not fair and have had heard from many school who do not like it at all and if I am looking for a state that doesn't allow opting down I have 40+ states to choice from young man

Wow, what a post.

Coach Hassler, I give you credit for being so open in your communication in this thread. You are setting a great example for your students in the way that you have presented this post. I would be a very proud parent if my kids were in your district. Accountability takes bravery. You are demonstrating that in your post.

The thing that most impresses me, and backs up everything you are sharing is the fact that YOU didn't decide to opt down. Your BOARD didn't decide to opt down. Your PLAYERS decided to opt down. That is admirable on their part. To give up the opportunity to maybe qualify for the playoffs in favor of being able to play a complete schedule at the Varsity and JV level.

In my opinion, the issue most take with teams opting down revolve around the number of games that team wins. If you were going 2-6 every year, nobody would have a problem with it.

I have no dog in the fight I have not played or coached against a team who was opting down, but its not fair and have had heard from many school who do not like it at all and if I am looking for a state that doesn't allow opting down I have 40+ states to choice from young man
Your 40 state argument doesn't carry any weight IMO. They can do what they want. They also have other rules that are different too. Here in Nebraska, I feel like we have always and need to do what is right FOR OUR KIDS.

Coach Frost has been pretty outspoken that he wants more kids to play football in Nebraska...... so we just start saying, "Play with low numbers in your division that risk the health of your kids with little to no development, or transfer." Just doesn't make sense.

Reactions: runningback43
Very interesting thread indeed. Thanks Buff for the inside look at the decision process. It sounds like you have your school, your team, your players, best interest at heart.
And Nut, I feel your pain, when it comes to the opting down, forfeiting games, affecting other teams playoff chances because as a school we can't make football (under the current set of rules) work for our situation.
For those of us who truly love high school football at any level, the true question is "Why are participation levels falling so dramatically?" Why ARE some schools a D-1 program in a C-2 body?
Is it a cultural thing? Are the Hispanic kids just not interested in playing football because in all reality they have never been exposed to it? Is it a lack of "junior football" programs that don't get kids involved at a younger age? Is it some jack wagon wanna be coach at the junior level, that turns kids off to the game, never to return? I don't know. I am sure every case is different. I just hate to see it happening. And every school and community has to address the problem in their own way.
And I am not a fan of throwing freshman in with seniors in any class. I have seen too any freshman injured, embarrassed, whatever, and lose their desire to play. Can some do it? Absolutely. But using freshman numbers and boosting a school up a class level does no one any good. I would rather see co-ops or consolidations so we have not only get a better brand of football, but a safer brand of football.
Great win for Wakefield last week. No doubt about it. But I also doubt Creighton is complaining about what class Wakefield should be in. One team came just a little more ready to play. If I know Creighton, this just may be enough to get them back to the finals. We will see how they respond.

Reactions: JAW20
I don't believe he is accusing you of being a coward (which you are anything but). He is of the opinion that you have given up on the debate in favor of pointing him out as a coward because he won't put his name on his posts.
He is not a coward, he is following the rules and doing what is best for his school, It is my opinion that the rule of opting is bad only favors the team with the problem and shares their problem with other teams

Last edited:
Very interesting thread indeed. Thanks Buff for the inside look at the decision process. It sounds like you have your school, your team, your players, best interest at heart.
And Nut, I feel your pain, when it comes to the opting down, forfeiting games, affecting other teams playoff chances because as a school we can't make football (under the current set of rules) work for our situation.
For those of us who truly love high school football at any level, the true question is "Why are participation levels falling so dramatically?" Why ARE some schools a D-1 program in a C-2 body?
Is it a cultural thing? Are the Hispanic kids just not interested in playing football because in all reality they have never been exposed to it? Is it a lack of "junior football" programs that don't get kids involved at a younger age? Is it some jack wagon wanna be coach at the junior level, that turns kids off to the game, never to return? I don't know. I am sure every case is different. I just hate to see it happening. And every school and community has to address the problem in their own way.
And I am not a fan of throwing freshman in with seniors in any class. I have seen too any freshman injured, embarrassed, whatever, and lose their desire to play. Can some do it? Absolutely. But using freshman numbers and boosting a school up a class level does no one any good. I would rather see co-ops or consolidations so we have not only get a better brand of football, but a safer brand of football.
Great win for Wakefield last week. No doubt about it. But I also doubt Creighton is complaining about what class Wakefield should be in. One team came just a little more ready to play. If I know Creighton, this just may be enough to get them back to the finals. We will see how they respond.
The factors are many, ELL kids that dont are usually first generation kids whose parents dont understand the benefits because they have zero exposure to it, another is lincoln and omaha schools are growing but football and sport opportunity for most kids in class A is just not reasonable due to size and athletic ability compared to Class A athletes, rural areas are shrinking in size fast and less schools means less kids out, another, what physical labor does a kid do in life, so its hard to convense them come sweat it out with us, pickup games and backyard football is played on a game station or computer or phone now in the AC, last but not least the ME generation gets harder and harder to convence to be part of a team. I am not mad at schools who opt down, its in the rules by all means do whats best for your schools but opting down is not a solution it just passes the problem on. A solutions need to take place, larger classifications or something, if we do not change it will die because passing on the problem will just cause more problems

Reactions: northeastNebraska
The factors are many, ELL kids that dont are usually first generation kids whose parents dont understand the benefits because they have zero exposure to it, another is lincoln and omaha schools are growing but football and sport opportunity for most kids in class A is just not reasonable due to size and athletic ability compared to Class A athletes, rural areas are shrinking in size fast and less schools means less kids out, another, what physical labor does a kid do in life, so its hard to convense them come sweat it out with us, pickup games and backyard football is played on a game station or computer or phone now in the AC, last but not least the ME generation gets harder and harder to convence to be part of a team. I am not mad at schools who opt down, its in the rules by all means do whats best for your schools but opting down is not a solution it just passes the problem on. A solutions need to take place, larger classifications or something, if we do not change it will die because passing on the problem will just cause more problems

Here goes nut again ranting and raving about opting down, it is about player safety, it is not safe to put kids in a varsity 11 man game that are not physically capable and subject them to unnecessary injuries. Kids need to be developed. Your argument is old and tired, districts decide what is best for their kids, Wakefield did the right thing for their kids and they have the right to do it

Here goes nut again ranting and raving about opting down, it is about player safety, it is not safe to put kids in a varsity 11 man game that are not physically capable and subject them to unnecessary injuries. Kids need to be developed. Your argument is old and tired, districts decide what is best for their kids, Wakefield did the right thing for their kids and they have the right to do it
I am not mad at schools who opt down, its in the rules by all means do whats best for your schools but opting down is not a solution it just passes the problem on. A solutions need to take place, larger classifications or something, if we do not change it will die because passing on the problem will just cause more problems

Coach Hassler,
I 100% understand your side of it and applaud what you have done for your program. I have no clue who hsfbnut is but as a former coach who has seen the struggle first hand, I get it. Completely. It’s not ideal situation but in your profession it’s impossible to keep everyone happy. I’m sure comments on here have literally caused you to lose sleep but I hope support from your school, community, and most importantly your players heavily outweigh the negative comments here. Have a great rest of your season and congrats on the big win (my first coaching stop was at Hartington Public so any win over Creighton is a great feeling!) Best time of the year!
NUT JOB IS IDIOT WHO LIKES TO STIR THE POT

Been waiting for 2 days for SPbObRT to chime in, thanks for the thoughtful insight!

Been waiting for 2 days for SPbObRT to chime in, thanks for the thoughtful insight!
I am not mad at schools who opt down, its in the rules by all means do whats best for your schools but opting down is not a solution it just passes the problem on. A solutions need to take place, larger classifications or something, if we do not change it will die because passing on the problem will just cause more problems

What exactly is the problem that you keep stating? I why will football die because of it? You’ve stated that numerous times, but never actually say what you mean by that.

What exactly is the problem that you keep stating? I why will football die because of it? You’ve stated that numerous times, but never actually say what you mean by that.
Less and less schools and less and less out, classification numbers need to rise, boy girl count was a nice step but more needs to change or in 15 years or less we will have one class of C and one class of 8-man and that will make even more of a discrepancy between top and bottom of class and result in opting which then creates a discrepancy in the opting class and passes the problem to less teams being eligible and produces less kids out and a bigger problem yet again Over the last 8 years we have seen at least 14% average of teams opting and not eligible and a huge swing in 6-man, it is right in front of our face that change is needed, opting just ignores the change and nothing happens

Nut - you keep saying that action needs to take place and people need to write up proposals - have you ever written up a proposal?

Reactions: viewfromthebooth
Nut - you keep saying that action needs to take place and people need to write up proposals - have you ever written up a proposal?

I dont believe Nutty is in a position to write up a proposal. It needs to come from the NSAA member schools.

I'll be one of the few on here to agree with the old Nut. The NSAA needs to look at root cause. Opting down is a bandaid. With a bandaid on the problem the wound is still there. Going to boy/girl enrollment was a good step. Increasing the enrollment for 8-man two years ago was also a big step though not far enough as it needs to match those of neighboring states. Just taking a stab but realistically it should be more towards 55-60.

I dont like that D1 has multiple schools that are in actuality C2. But with the enrollment cutoff where it's at they have little to no choice. The issue isn't optioning down, it's the cutoff limit.

Also, IMO the NSAA needs to seriously consider reducing the number of classes. One of the big reasons schools are often so reluctant to coop is for the fear of bumping up a class or two. Only my opinion but we should have 4 classes for all sports besides football. Football should have 5 because of 6-man. A, B, C, D, and D6. B needs to be expanded back to 32 or so schools.

I dont believe Nutty is in a position to write up a proposal. It needs to come from the NSAA member schools.

I'll be one of the few on here to agree with the old Nut. The NSAA needs to look at root cause. Opting down is a bandaid. With a bandaid on the problem the wound is still there. Going to boy/girl enrollment was a good step. Increasing the enrollment for 8-man two years ago was also a big step though not far enough as it needs to match those of neighboring states. Just taking a stab but realistically it should be more towards 55-60.

I dont like that D1 has multiple schools that are in actuality C2. But with the enrollment cutoff where it's at they have little to no choice. The issue isn't optioning down, it's the cutoff limit.

Also, IMO the NSAA needs to seriously consider reducing the number of classes. One of the big reasons schools are often so reluctant to coop is for the fear of bumping up a class or two. Only my opinion but we should have 4 classes for all sports besides football. Football should have 5 because of 6-man. A, B, C, D, and D6. B needs to be expanded back to 32 or so schools.
Agreed 100%. 5 classes for football would help a lot. Reclassifying and redoing the numbers for A, B and C.

One thing I would add to this reclassification scenario would be no opting down because we would assume the new numbers would be based on a boys only, or 3 grade moving average, or whatever the powers that be, deem as reasonable, to address the low participation numbers. But you could opt up if you end up a class D but want to stay in eleven man, or were a small Class B before and want to remain a Class B.

What do you think the numbers would look like
A--800 and up
B--799 to 199 ?
C 198 to down
D 60- down
D6 30 down
Tough part is one class has to be a large gap
So last year I made a breakout of classifications. I still have it broken out in six classes. (549-200 and so on is boy enrollment)

Class A: 550 and above (24 teams) (The only non metro or Lincoln teams would be Fremont, GI and Kearney)

Class B: 549-200 (24 teams) (Columbus, Norfolk, North Platte, Pius etc)

It gets kind of messy here, but it could be arranged pretty easy I think.

Class C1: 200-70 (51 teams)
Class C2: 69-50 (45 teams)
Class D1: 50-30 (64 teams, 8 man)
Class D2: 30-0 (68 teams, 6 man)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/14Zb...N7iOHf/edit?usp=docslist_api&filetype=msexcel

So last year I made a breakout of classifications. I still have it broken out in six classes. (549-200 and so on is boy enrollment)

Class A: 550 and above (24 teams) (The only non metro or Lincoln teams would be Fremont, GI and Kearney)

Class B: 549-200 (24 teams) (Columbus, Norfolk, North Platte, Pius etc)

It gets kind of messy here, but it could be arranged pretty easy I think.

Class C1: 200-70 (51 teams)
Class C2: 69-50 (45 teams)
Class D1: 50-30 (64 teams, 8 man)
Class D2: 30-0 (68 teams, 6 man)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/14Zb...N7iOHf/edit?usp=docslist_api&filetype=msexcel
I like the look of these

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT