ADVERTISEMENT

Your C-2 Quarterfinal Picks

Aug 16, 2014
#8 Bergan @ #1 Battle Creek
If Bergan played its best game of the year it still wouldn't be enough.

#5 Aquinas @ #4 Hastings SC
Choose with my heart or choose with my head. Heart wins out. Go Monarchs!

#3 Freeman @ #11 Hartington CC
Can HCC avoid a letdown? Yes.

#7 Oakland-Craig @ #2 North Platte SP
2 hardnosed playoff tested teams. Team that travels comes up oh so short.
This post was edited on 11/1 5:07 AM by fairmontnation

Battle Creek over Bergan

HSC over Aquinas

HCC has an emotional let down and Freeman squeaks by

O-C over NPSP

Ron Mimick vs. Carl Tesmer, over 500 wins combined. Should be a good one.

BC is the class of this Class. But Ron Mimick will have his kids ready for them in semi final. DCA will have to make mistakes not to get to semis but that's why they play the game. St. Cecilia is solid, and will keep the score low so one mistake could be the difference. St. Cecilia is a year away.

HCC is the real deal when you consider their losses. DCA lost to Scotus by 3 who beat Pierce bad. Pierce is not typical Pierce but C-1 is just that much better than C-2 (depth). DCA beat HCC 7-0 first game of the year. HCC also lost to BC by 22. Beating Sutton was a really nice win so I believe the Trojans will be in Lincoln.

NPSP vs. OC will be a good one. Long trip may be the difference. The west flies under the radar most of the year. OC is healthy now and confident.

Glad to have second round great games.

I've watched Battle Creek twice this year and DCA twice this year. Both should win their quarterfinal games by double digits.

HCC lost to DCA in the opening game of the year in OT, one of the DCA games I saw this year. It was a sloppy field but watching the HCC defense they are the real deal, so HCC by double digits as well.

Haven't seen either St. Pats or OC so as a total guess and remembering the OC at Battle Creek game was tight at the half of their game I will pick OC in a tight one.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Nut on all 4 games... but I am... all the NE teams win... and I don't think any of them will be particularly close... 10 pts or more.

I think all 4 of these games have the potential to be double digit margins of victory.

I am not overly familiar with Battle Creek (outside of what I have read), but I am doubting they have seen a passing offense like that of Archbishop Bergan. That passing offense is the only way Bergan plays with Battle Creek. Aquinas shut Bergan down completely, but Aquinas probably has the best (at least top 3) defense in the state. I don't think Battle Creek will have much trouble with Bergan, but like I said, if Bergan can get their passing game going it might be interesting. I'll take Battle Creek by 28.

Aquinas-St Cecilia sounds good on paper and with name brands. I think if you look at their strength of schedule they look close at first glance based off of W-L records of opponents, but in my opinion Aquinas has played a far tougher schedule. Hartington CC, Lutheran High NE, Yutan, Bergan, and Gibbon are the quality wins for Aquinas right now with their lone loss to Scotus. St Cecilia has wins over Hershey, Ravenna, Doniphan-Trumbull, Southern Valley, Fillmore Central, and Southern that are of quality. I just think the teams Aquinas has beat are better than the teams St Cecilia has beat. I will take Aquinas by 14.

Hartington CC-Freeman has the potential to get ugly. Freeman has done a great job coming up from 8-man, but they haven't seen a team that is anything like Hartington CC. With all due respect to Freeman (because I don't think there are many teams that can keep it close with HCC), I will take Hartington CC by 35 or more.

Oakland-Craig vs St Pats is the most interesting game for me. St Pat's hasn't had a close game since their opener with Doniphan-Trumbull and I think that will hurt them. What St Pat's has over Oakland-Craig is a history of deep runs in the playoffs. I also think the travel could be an issue for O-C. My opinion is that the talent is higher on the Oakland-Craig side, but the intangibles are in favor of St. Pats. I'll take OC by 11.

BC is focused, will overcome some early jitters and win, HCC is a solid team that is very athletic, they advance due to pure athletism
OC goes on to the next round because they have all the studs they need and are healthy, they were banged up early and now they get all those final ingredients back to make a run deep into November,could you imagine HUSKERS without AA, TA111 AND KENNY BELL, it's a close comparison maybe a bit off but they are there to make a run, as far as the other game it's Osborne via switzer ,take your pick plenty of trickery to go around in this contest, I actually have no clue but know that each coach has been a winner for quite some time. I will pass on this contest but rest assured it will be a doozy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT