ADVERTISEMENT

2022-2023 11 Man Football Declarations/Classifications Discussion

northeastNebraska

All-State
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2008
Highway 30
So I saw @nenebskers post in the 8 man thread, decided to start an 11 man thread.

From @nenebskers....

I'm assuming Gretna and Gretna East will be B along with the new LPS schools. Also, won't the new OPS schools be B too likely? Does any of the other OPS schools, such as Benson, drop because of lower enrollment with the new schools. Does Platteview move up into class B?

Moving on down many traditional class B programs appear they could fall below the 160 mark and move into C1 if you just purely go off the 8th-10th grade enrollments from last year, though this is tough to figure as some of these cities have small parochial schools that end in 8th grade and they are so close to the line that a new kid or two moving into or out of the district could effect it. It appears York, Alliance, Mc Cook, and Aurora all have potential to be below 160 and in C1. If so, do any opt up? I've always thought C1 is a really good competitive class and if those traditional B schools fall into C1, man that will be a fun class.

On to C2 where there will likely be a ton of change. northeastNebraska commented that they are splitting C evenly this year, into C1 and C2. If so there could be 5-8, if not more current C1 teams that will drop into C2. This potentially includes two teams in the C1 Semifinals tonight in Battle Creek and Kearney Catholic as well as potentially North Bend, Malcolm, Fillmore Central, Louisville, Mitchell, Milford, O'Neil, etc.. C2 is gaining a couple from D1 but are also losing more in Crofton, Twin River, Sutton, BRLD, and potentially more. It would be great to see Lutheran High in C2 again. Regardless, if C is split evenly then there will be a major shake up.

How do you guys think we see Classes B, C1 and C2 end up? Have the NSAA member schools decided they are going to split C2 and C1 down the middle? I don't know what other choice they have?

If McCook, York and Aurora end up in C1 that could be interesting and maybe better in the long run for Class C1?

So I saw @nenebskers post in the 8 man thread, decided to start an 11 man thread.

From @nenebskers....

I'm assuming Gretna and Gretna East will be B along with the new LPS schools. Also, won't the new OPS schools be B too likely? Does any of the other OPS schools, such as Benson, drop because of lower enrollment with the new schools. Does Platteview move up into class B?

Moving on down many traditional class B programs appear they could fall below the 160 mark and move into C1 if you just purely go off the 8th-10th grade enrollments from last year, though this is tough to figure as some of these cities have small parochial schools that end in 8th grade and they are so close to the line that a new kid or two moving into or out of the district could effect it. It appears York, Alliance, Mc Cook, and Aurora all have potential to be below 160 and in C1. If so, do any opt up? I've always thought C1 is a really good competitive class and if those traditional B schools fall into C1, man that will be a fun class.

On to C2 where there will likely be a ton of change. northeastNebraska commented that they are splitting C evenly this year, into C1 and C2. If so there could be 5-8, if not more current C1 teams that will drop into C2. This potentially includes two teams in the C1 Semifinals tonight in Battle Creek and Kearney Catholic as well as potentially North Bend, Malcolm, Fillmore Central, Louisville, Mitchell, Milford, O'Neil, etc.. C2 is gaining a couple from D1 but are also losing more in Crofton, Twin River, Sutton, BRLD, and potentially more. It would be great to see Lutheran High in C2 again. Regardless, if C is split evenly then there will be a major shake up.

How do you guys think we see Classes B, C1 and C2 end up? Have the NSAA member schools decided they are going to split C2 and C1 down the middle? I don't know what other choice they have?

If McCook, York and Aurora end up in C1 that could be interesting and maybe better in the long run for Class C1?
I think they should bump the c-2 level up 10-15 kids and the B number down 10-15. Keep some semblance of a western B district and the road trips of 5 plus hours to occasional and playoffs.

What is the Gretna East plan? Are they opening with all four grades? Are kids being forced there by where they live or is it open?

As asked earlier, what is the opening plan for Gretna East? Which grades will they have their first year?

Also, in a World Herald preview article for the Class B Championship, it was mentioned that Aurora very well might be C1 next cycle and it could be Bennington's last in Class B. In other words they are predicting that Bennington is Class A in football as early as 2024. I'm surprised but then again I'm not. For the current cycle they are about 100 short of the 425 mark. While that seems a long ways off it's only an increase of 33 boys per class and the current data is from 2019 and the next data will be in 2023.

As asked earlier, what is the opening plan for Gretna East? Which grades will they have their first year?

Also, in a World Herald preview article for the Class B Championship, it was mentioned that Aurora very well might be C1 next cycle and it could be Bennington's last in Class B. In other words they are predicting that Bennington is Class A in football as early as 2024. I'm surprised but then again I'm not. For the current cycle they are about 100 short of the 425 mark. While that seems a long ways off it's only an increase of 33 boys per class and the current data is from 2019 and the next data will be in 2023.
Seems like Aurora will be C1 next year. If Bennington moves up that quickly that will be nuts, but again, I wouldn't be shocked.

Omaha Gross and Roncalli both have decisions to make for football to opt up to Class B or go down to Class C-1.

Pius's number may drop them back down to Class B levels, as they were the smallest A school. Expect them to play Class B football but opt up for everything else because of their conference affiliation with the HAC who only wants Class A members. Conferences for football obviously don't matter since the state sets up the schedules.

Reactions: saluno22
Omaha Gross and Roncalli both have decisions to make for football to opt up to Class B or go down to Class C-1.

Pius's number may drop them back down to Class B levels, as they were the smallest A school. Expect them to play Class B football but opt up for everything else because of their conference affiliation with the HAC who only wants Class A members. Conferences for football obviously don't matter since the state sets up the schedules.
Roncalli has true C1 numbers. I think they would thrive in C1. Gross I thought would be towards to bottom of B. Do you think Gross could be C1 in everything in the next 5-10 years with the way their enrollment is trending?

Roncalli has true C1 numbers. I think they would thrive in C1. Gross I thought would be towards to bottom of B. Do you think Gross could be C1 in everything in the next 5-10 years with the way their enrollment is trending?

Gross has been able to get about 100 incoming students every year, which puts them towards the bottom third of B. I think the COVID year they took a big hit with people on the fence fearful of remote learning and paying tuition for it. Lots of private schools faced that as they couldn't close in person with students in the spring of 2020 and then all the COVID protocols for the Fall of 2020. About 20 years ago Gross was getting around 160-200 per class and was double the size of Skutt. In the late 80s they were 1300+ and Class A.

If it's me in the driver's seat, I'm going 5 districts of 6, with one district of 7.
District 1: Falls City, Syracuse, Fairbury, Lincoln Christian, Auburn and Nebraska City.

East of Highway 81 is where it kind of gets sideways...
How do you separate...Platteview, Ashland-Greenwood, Omaha Roncalli, DC West, Omaha Concordia, Boys Town, Wahoo, Raymond Central, Schuyler, Columbus Lakeview, Columbus Scotus, Wayne, WPB, Schuyler and Pierce?

Could there be a district of Boone, Pierce, Schuyler, Wayne, Scotus and Lakeview?

The western district could be...

Chadron, Alliance, McCook, Sidney, Ogallala, Cozad, Gothenburg
(or could be six and Gberg goes east with Broken Bow, St. Paul, O'Neill, Minden, Cozad, Holdrege.)

For that reason, you will probably get 7 districts of 5-5-5-5-5-6-6. Could be wrong though.
If we did that...

District 1: Nebraska City, Auburn, Lincoln Christian, Fairbury, Syracuse, Falls City
District 2: Omaha Roncalli, DC West, Omaha Concordia, Ft. Calhoun, Boys Town
District 3: Schuyler, Platteview, Wahoo, Ashland-Greenwood, Raymond Central
District 4: Aurora, Adams Central, Scotus, Central City, St. Paul
District 5: Wayne, Lakeview, Boone, Pierce, WPB
District 6: Holdrege, Cozad, Minden, O'Neill, Gothenburg, Broken Bow
District 7: Chadron, Ogallala, Sidney, McCook, Alliance

If we did that...

District 1: Nebraska City, Auburn, Lincoln Christian, Fairbury, Syracuse, Falls City
District 2: Omaha Roncalli, DC West, Omaha Concordia, Ft. Calhoun, Boys Town
District 3: Schuyler, Platteview, Wahoo, Ashland-Greenwood, Raymond Central
District 4: Aurora, Adams Central, Scotus, Central City, St. Paul
District 5: Wayne, Lakeview, Boone, Pierce, WPB
District 6: Holdrege, Cozad, Minden, O'Neill, Gothenburg, Broken Bow
District 7: Chadron, Ogallala, Sidney, McCook, Alliance
I would be stunned if this happened. 1- They aren't going to split Scotus and Lakeview. 2- They aren't going to put O'Neill and Holdrege in the same district. Districts are assigned from west to east with some north south consideration.

My best guess at C1 is this

Falls City-Auburn-Nebraska City-Syracuse-Platteview
Fairbury-Lincoln Christian-Raymond Central-Ashland Greenwood-Wahoo
DC West-Boys Town-Concordia-Roncalli-Fort Calhoun
Lakeview-Scotus-Schuyler-West Point-Wayne-Pierce
O'Neill-Boone Central-St Paul-Central City-Aurora
Broken Bow-Gothenburg-Cozad-Holdrege-Minden-Adams Central
Chadron-Sidney-McCook-Alliance-Ogallala

Reactions: northeastNebraska

My example was just one example. West Point and Wayne make this hard because of their proximity to other C1 schools. O'Neill to Aurora is pretty wild but again, O'Neill doesn't really have a choice either due to geography.

My example was just one example. West Point and Wayne make this hard because of their proximity to other C1 schools. O'Neill to Aurora is pretty wild but again, O'Neill doesn't really have a choice either due to geography.
There are definitely some "map stretchers" that make this complicated.

McCook is not close to Chadron at all, and honestly it makes more sense for Gothenburg and Cozad to get pulled west (with Chadron, Alliance, Sidney, Ogallala) because they are already on the interstate. The problem with doing that is now where do you send McCook? Through Cozad and Gothenburg to Broken Bow...? That tells me the western district is pretty much a lock Chadron-Sidney-Alliance-Ogallala-McCook

The next west district could be Gothenburg-Cozad-Holdrege-Minden-Adams Central

That would leave Broken Bow to go north with O'Neill, St Paul, Central City, and Pierce....but Bow to Pierce is a long way. They just did it for playoffs, but that is playoffs.

Falls City is as far southeast as it gets. You have to put them with Auburn, Neb City, and Syracuse...but do you extend west to Fairbury, northwest to Lincoln Christian, or north to Ashland or Platteview?

O'Neill causes all sorts of problems in the north. Closest schools to them are Broken Bow, St Paul, Pierce, Wayne, Scotus/Lakeview.

There are definitely some "map stretchers" that make this complicated.

McCook is not close to Chadron at all, and honestly it makes more sense for Gothenburg and Cozad to get pulled west (with Chadron, Alliance, Sidney, Ogallala) because they are already on the interstate. The problem with doing that is now where do you send McCook? Through Cozad and Gothenburg to Broken Bow...? That tells me the western district is pretty much a lock Chadron-Sidney-Alliance-Ogallala-McCook

The next west district could be Gothenburg-Cozad-Holdrege-Minden-Adams Central

That would leave Broken Bow to go north with O'Neill, St Paul, Central City, and Pierce....but Bow to Pierce is a long way. They just did it for playoffs, but that is playoffs.

Falls City is as far southeast as it gets. You have to put them with Auburn, Neb City, and Syracuse...but do you extend west to Fairbury, northwest to Lincoln Christian, or north to Ashland or Platteview?

O'Neill causes all sorts of problems in the north. Closest schools to them are Broken Bow, St Paul, Pierce, Wayne, Scotus/Lakeview.
Speaking of “map stretchers”, What happens with gering and Scottsbluff. Obviously Lex, but that’s a 4 hour drive…then what? Do you schedule neutral site, north platte or kearney, on a Saturday?

Speaking of “map stretchers”, What happens with gering and Scottsbluff. Obviously Lex, but that’s a 4 hour drive…then what? Do you schedule neutral site, north platte or kearney, on a Saturday?
Northwest (GINW) is probably the 4th team. Then it gets pretty crazy. Seward? Hastings is going up to A I think. That's pretty like 3/4 of the state geographically in 1 district.

This helps the Scottsbluff/Gering/Lex problem. Not ideal, but Hastings and GINW would make 5.

Reactions: balsy

My best guess at C1 is this if they decide to do the 6 team districts out west to make it easier to schedule non-district games...just a thought?? They split Gothenburg and Cozad this year.

Falls City-Auburn-Nebraska City-Syracuse-Fairbury
Raymond Central-Ashland Greenwood-Platteview-Wahoo-Lincoln Christian
Lakeview-Scotus-Schuyler-Aurora-Central City
West Point-Wayne-Pierce-Boone-Oneill
Adams Central-St Paul-Broken Bow-Cozad-Holdrege-Minden
Chadron-Sidney-McCook-Alliance-Ogallala-Gothenburg

Anyone have any idea on C2 potential districts?
I’d be lying if I said I was super familiar with c-2, but it looks like it depends on what they do with Valentine. If they keep them out west like last cycle:
valentine, Gordon/rushville, Mitchell, chase county, Hershey

Amherst, kchs, gibbon, ord, centrura
-Gicc, donophan/trumble, hastings st Cecilia, wood river, centennial

just spit balling. There are a lot of schools clustered around Kearney and GI. Might see a couple 6 team districts.

Just a shot in the dark.

District 1: Ponca, Norfolk Catholic, Battle Creek, West Holt, Cedar Catholic

District 2: OC, Tekamah, LVSS, Arlington, Bergan, North Bend

District 3: Aquinas, David City, Yutan, Neumann, Louisville

District 4: Tri County, Wilber, Lincoln Lutheran, Malcolm, Milford

District 5: Centennial, Fillmore Central, GICC, Doniphan-Trumbull, HSC

District 6: Centura, Gibbon, KC, Ord, Amherst, Wood River

District 7: County, Hershey, Gordon, Mitchell, Valentine

Reactions: balsy
Both Arlington and West Point-Beemer will be C1. 74 total teams in class C, but Neb City and Schuyler don’t count towards the 50/50 split. That makes 38-36 for split. I’d bet 4 districts of 5 and 3 districts of 6 in C1. Maybe six districts of 6 in C2?

Both Arlington and West Point-Beemer will be C1. 74 total teams in class C, but Neb City and Schuyler don’t count towards the 50/50 split. That makes 38-36 for split. I’d bet 4 districts of 5 and 3 districts of 6 in C1. Maybe six districts of 6 in C2?
When do the district assignments come out?

Makes NO sense to go with 7 districts in C2

My guess is they go 6 districts with 6 schools. I worked West to East and North/South considered.

Dist 6
Chase Co
Mitchell
Valentine
Gordon Rushville
Amherst
Hershey

Dist 5
GICC
Kearney Cath
Centura
Gibbon
Wood River
Doniphan Trumbull

Dist 4
Hastings SC
Wilber Clatonia
Fillmore Central
Tri County
Milford
Lincoln Lutheran

Dist 3
Ord
West Holt
Norfolk Catholic
Battle Creek
Hartington CC
Centennial

Dist 2
Logan View
Bergan
Ponca
North Bend
Oakland
Tekamah Herman

Dist 1
Louisville
Malcolm
David City
Aquinas
Yutan
Bishop Neumann

Last edited:

My guess is they go 6 districts with 6 schools. I worked West to East and North/South considered.

Dist 6
Chase Co
Mitchell
Valentine
Gordon Rushville
Amherst

Dist 5
GICC
Kearney Cath
Centura
Gibbon
Wood River
Doniphan Trumbull

Dist 4
Hastings SC
Wilber Clatonia
Fillmore Central
Tri County
Milford
Lincoln Lutheran

Dist 3
Ord
West Holt
Norfolk Catholic
Battle Creek
Hartington CC
Centennial

Dist 2
Logan View
Bergan
Ponca
North Bend
Oakland
Tekamah Herman

Dist 1
Louisville
Malcolm
David City
Aquinas
Yutan
Bishop Neumann
Add in Hershey to district 6 and that makes a lot of sense. I know you meant to have them there.

Dist 6
Chase Co
Mitchell
Valentine
Gordon Rushville
Amherst

Dist 5
GICC
Kearney Cath
Centura
Gibbon
Wood River
Doniphan Trumbull

Dist 4
Hastings SC
Wilber Clatonia
Fillmore Central
Tri County
Milford
Lincoln Lutheran

Dist 3
Ord
West Holt
Norfolk Catholic
Battle Creek
Hartington CC
Centennial

Dist 2
Logan View
Bergan
Ponca
North Bend
Oakland
Tekamah Herman

Dist 1
Louisville
Malcolm
David City
Aquinas
Yutan
Bishop Neumann
Why doesn’t it make sense to have 7? Why is 6 better? Centennial to Atkinson for a district game? Amherst to Mitchell?

There are 36 teams. Six districts of six makes sense. I don't think 7 districts is out of the question, though

Malcom going east and Lincoln Lutheran going west doesn't make much sense, but other than that the 6 districts of 6 makes sense. The west is used to travel but holy smokes that's a lot of miles.

Dist 6
Chase Co
Mitchell
Valentine
Gordon Rushville
Amherst

Dist 5
GICC
Kearney Cath
Centura
Gibbon
Wood River