ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Boys State Tournament On as Schedule / Recommended only immediate family attend

The city of Lincoln and the Health Dept made the recommendation to proceed with games with only immediate family present. Sounds like the NSAA is going to make way for the media. Schools will provide a list of family members to the NSAA or event center and admission will be granted off of that.

Side note: If I am a player in this tournament I would much rather play in front of my best friend that isn't on the team than play in front of the guy from the local newspaper or radio team.

Reactions: Ruttingbuck
I feel sorry for the kids that are playing in the tournament this weekend. It's not going to be a great experience for them. Palmyra goes to state for the first time in 30 years and the community can't go and support them. Just don't see how this is going to solve any issues with this virus as well.

The city of Lincoln and the Health Dept made the recommendation to proceed with games with only immediate family present. Sounds like the NSAA is going to make way for the media. Schools will provide a list of family members to the NSAA or event center and admission will be granted off of that.

Side note: If I am a player in this tournament I would much rather play in front of my best friend that isn't on the team than play in front of the guy from the local newspaper or radio team.
I understand your point. But the newspaper tv, and radio guys need to go to keep those who now have to stay home informed of how the game is progressing. It’s crucial that media, (across all platforms) are at the tournament.

Reactions: nenebskers
Let me get this right, the mayor says no fans are allowed but yet they can hold a concert the night before in the best venue in town with all sorts of people in the PBA, then the very next day they go on as usual except without much fan fare, what if i'm from alliance and I am half way to Lincoln only to be told u must turn around and go home cause you are not on the list, what about the officials who are reffing these contests, who is to say one of them isn't sick, heard last week of of the stripes couldn't do a final cause he was up chucking in the can, this just seems to me that it is a over reaction to a virus, if your sick stay home, poor teams are going to be playing with no atmosphere whatsoever, what about cheerleaders are they allowed. lot's of if's and but's here. with that said the NSAA is going to lose a shitton of money so next year they will have to make it up, you know who is going to pay for that, I do it's the fans and the officials who do the games, look for a rise in admission from here on out.

Reactions: runningback43
NCAA is banning spectators from all of its men's and women's championships, including the men's and women's basketball tournaments.

The Ivy League is taking it even a step further

There is simply no precedence for anything like this. I'm speechless. I've been waiting all week I just KNEW the HS tourney was going to get screwed. Pisses me off they drag out the sub-district district girls/boys schedule a full week too long IMHO.

NBA just suspended season, i think this getting real boys and the NSAA didnt have a choice after what the mayor did and said
The NSAA made a huge mistake when they decided to let the media in (beyond the immediate family) but decided NOT to let the JV team in. That is poor judgment.

Last edited:
you think they should let jv in ? that sounds a bit unsafe
I hope you are being sarcastic. Immediate family, school admin, trainers, NSAA media which is 1,600 people....but the NSAA won't let in the 7 kids that practiced against these teams the entire season. I don't think that is a good decision.

your talking about 100 to 140 per a team and 50 media each game will have under 400 at it, then you want the jv team and that would be around 12 to 20 per a school, and that would be inviting around 800 more students to the games, not smart at all

Gentlemen, we are in uncharted water here. The choice to err on the side of caution, is always the "politically correct" thing to do. It doesn't have to make sense. We get mixed messages every day. People are over reacting, people aren't taking this serious. No one gets sued for being overly cautious. Could the NSAA have said " you all know as much as we do about corona virus, so if you are feeling sick, or in a high risk group, use good judgement and don't come to the games. And by the way, there is hand sanitizer by all the doors, and cover your mouth when you cough." Sure they could have. And it probably would have been just as successful in preventing the spread. Over reaction to crisis has become the new norm. Whether deserved or not, it has been determined that the general public is not smart enough to isolate themselves. I can tell you if I had a son playing in the tournament, and I was healthy, I would still make the trip to Lincoln with other parents, and hang out at a local restaurant or watering hole, and support my son between games. Would there be a risk? You bet. But it is my decision.

Gentlemen, we are in uncharted water here. The choice to err on the side of caution, is always the "politically correct" thing to do. It doesn't have to make sense. We get mixed messages every day. People are over reacting, people aren't taking this serious. No one gets sued for being overly cautious. Could the NSAA have said " you all know as much as we do about corona virus, so if you are feeling sick, or in a high risk group, use good judgement and don't come to the games. And by the way, there is hand sanitizer by all the doors, and cover your mouth when you cough." Sure they could have. And it probably would have been just as successful in preventing the spread. Over reaction to crisis has become the new norm. Whether deserved or not, it has been determined that the general public is not smart enough to isolate themselves. I can tell you if I had a son playing in the tournament, and I was healthy, I would still make the trip to Lincoln with other parents, and hang out at a local restaurant or watering hole, and support my son between games. Would there be a risk? You bet. But it is my decision.
problem is enough people dont care what i mean by that is if they are young or very healthy they just dont care if there actions causes them to get the virus and then cause a change reaction in their community and that in turn kills someone, its all about me and that is why some people are mad they just dont care if its a risk as long as its not them who dies

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT