ADVERTISEMENT

C-2 Games

spike17

Freshman
Oct 22, 2005
I listened to the OC vs DT game on the radio! It sounded like O-C played an amazing game on defense! I was amazing how they contained the QB and RB. O-C also never really let them get their offense going! This was really close game until about 8 minutes in the 4th quarter. Hoss Smith , Ben Smith and Garrett Seagren are really good players and sounded ike they were all over the field! They also said the QB for OC QB Reenert was playing his 1st year of football sounded like a good athelete! Gotta give DT they are a very good team just couldnt come up with big play! The Mark Zesker is special RB and ond of the best! DT only had 270 yds total offense and 2 big turnovers! Also congrats to OC coach Anderson they mentioned he got 100 career win! What are your other thoughts and recaps on other C2 games

I think the most alarming score of the night was Valentine 41, Cross County 0. I'm not surprised Valentine won, but I am surprised with how dominant the performance was.

I think Crofton vs Valentine could a good good game both playing great ball right. They both play physical football! BC vs OC do you think OC can compete with BC

-Was surprised to see Crofton just maul Central City. The Warriors will give Valentine all they have.

-Yutan beating Centennial didn't really surprise me as they kept their first game between them close and Yutan wanted revenge.

-Oakland has a hell of a coach and some good athletes, I knew they would win this week. Their game at BC next week should be a dandy.

-HCC vs Wilber should be another tough low scoring game. HCC struggled with St. Pat's who is O slouch. Wilber was only winning 7-0 with 7 minutes left in the game. Cedar Catholic has a chance here next week. The winner of this game goes to Lincoln IMO.

How many C-2 teams have the depth to lose their starter and backup at the running back position. Give the Badgers of Valentine some credit for pulling it off while making it to the 2nd round.

Reactions: hailvictors2
I agree, woesbegone, but I also think RB is the easiest position on a team to replace.... take your next best athlete and put him back there. It isn't like QB where they have to understand the entire offense.

was anyone at the valentine/cross county game?? was wondering how that got out of hand, thought cross county might be able to control line of scrimmage

I think after one week of playoffs that C2 is wide open, I give a lot of credit to Stanton for putting up a fight against WC, basically played the number one points team and number one rated team two weeks in a row, after closing the season with HCC, Crofton and Ponca, brutal. I will be interested to see if HCC can take away WC run game, as they have some bigger bodies, I really think if a team can take away their run game and make them throw, they will really struggle against quality opponents week after week. Really looking forward to Crofton/Valentine and BC/OC, whoever comes out of this side of the bracket to me is the favorite.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Crazy that Yutan is the #16 seed and they have to travel this week. I get it because of the rules but I never thought I'd see that happen.

I like Yutan again this Friday to beat St. Paul and possibly get a rematch against Wilber.

Crazy that Yutan is the #16 seed and they have to travel this week. I get it because of the rules but I never thought I'd see that happen.

I like Yutan again this Friday to beat St. Paul and possibly get a rematch against Wilber.
The thing is NE, I see the other classes following A's lead and ALWAYS give the higher seed the home field. Hard to argue with that, but the way the lower classes do things makes for some real interesting quirks. Being on the road takes it's toll, not maybe the first game, but it's cumulative, at least with anything besides short trips of 2 hours or less.

The thing is NE, I see the other classes following A's lead and ALWAYS give the higher seed the home field. Hard to argue with that, but the way the lower classes do things makes for some real interesting quirks. Being on the road takes it's toll, not maybe the first game, but it's cumulative, at least with anything besides short trips of 2 hours or less.
Oh I agree with you. I just never thought I would see a 16 seed travel two weeks in a row in class C2. Luckily Yutan to St. Paul isn't a bad drive. Just drive west on 92 the whole drive haha.

I will take St Paul over Yutan, Wilber over Hartington, Battle Creek over Oakland-Craig, and Crofton over Valentine. The only game I think is a lock is Wilber over Hartington. St Pats was small and not very good up front and Hartington struggled with them big time (which shocked me)....I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilber handle HCC up front if HCC plays like they did last week..

Last edited:
I will take St Paul over Yutan, Wilber over Hartington, Battle Creek over Oakland-Craig, and Crofton over Valentine. The only game I think is a lock is Wilber over Hartington. St Pats was small and not very good up front and Hartington struggled with them big time (which shocked me)....I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilber handle HCC up front if HCC plays like they did last week..
I don't know if HCC would agree with North Platte being not very good up front. :) The way it sounded they had their hands full until momentum and field position switched. I never saw them, but outside the Valentine game there wasn't anything on their schedule to really doubt them.

Just curious why you say you think Wilber is a lock against HCC, Watching parts of Wilber game on TV, looked like they struggled with Stanton up front and HCC is definately bigger up front than Stanton, also probably more experienced, Wilber had a couple of long runs where Stanton just missed tackles and took 4 plays to score from the 1. I am not convinced that Wilber will hold up against top quality competition 4 straight weeks if they go the distance.

Just curious why you say you think Wilber is a lock against HCC, Watching parts of Wilber game on TV, looked like they struggled with Stanton up front and HCC is definately bigger up front than Stanton, also probably more experienced, Wilber had a couple of long runs where Stanton just missed tackles and took 4 plays to score from the 1. I am not convinced that Wilber will hold up against top quality competition 4 straight weeks if they go the distance.
I agree with this. It'll be interesting to see what Wilber's offense can do against HCC.

This is the toughest two game test Wilber has seen all year. Comparing each of their last five games. HCC went 4-1 against teams that finished a combined 28-17, (two of those teams are still in it, Battle Creek and Crofton.) Wilber went 5-0 against teams that finished a combined 17-28.

Just some interesting thoughts. Should be a heck of a game!

I'm curious if you mean offensively, defensively or both sides of the ball. Save for maybe one drive i thought HCC easily handled St Pats with their defense. Offensively HCC took a little longer to get going. I won't say I've even seen WC this year at all cause I haven't but out of what I have seen in C2 I'd take HCC's front seven over anyone. In the meantime I guess I better hit up striv and play catchup on WC.

I'm curious if you mean offensively, defensively or both sides of the ball. Save for maybe one drive i thought HCC easily handled St Pats with their defense. Offensively HCC took a little longer to get going. I won't say I've even seen WC this year at all cause I haven't but out of what I have seen in C2 I'd take HCC's front seven over anyone. In the meantime I guess I better hit up striv and play catchup on WC.
I would say that there is no more physical D-Line than WC, however their linebackers are not the quality of HCC. HCC linebackers make many more plays, WC linebackers are not very physical and do not have to make as many plays. I think the knock at times with HCC is that they are big up front, but not overly physical. I would say if you include the d-line and linebackers, both teams stack up fairly even, with opposite strengths.

I agree, woesbegone, but I also think RB is the easiest position on a team to replace.... take your next best athlete and put him back there. It isn't like QB where they have to understand the entire offense.

Athletic ability matters but, so does experience. It's my understanding that their handing off to a 165 pound (soaking wet) sophomore, not to mention you've just lost two of your better athletes on the defensive side of the ball.

I look for Warriors to end the Badgers run on Friday.

Last edited:
wondering
Valentine just so happens to have a very good line on both sides of the ball..The running back situation is that they had four first string running backs and just so happens that their third and fourth string are both state runner ups in wrestling..Not bad backups

I would say that there is no more physical D-Line than WC, however their linebackers are not the quality of HCC. HCC linebackers make many more plays, WC linebackers are not very physical and do not have to make as many plays. I think the knock at times with HCC is that they are big up front, but not overly physical. I would say if you include the d-line and linebackers, both teams stack up fairly even, with opposite strengths.
Good points.

I really excited to see how the Oakland Craig at Battle Creek game turns out. I think Battle Creek has a huge size advantage up front over Oakland Craig lead by Jan Loew De Jager. I think Battle Creek will use that size advantage up front and look to run the football at Oakland Craig. It will be fun to watch two of the best running backs in C-2 with Wyatt Hamer from BC and Hoss Smith from Oakland Craig go at it. They are both very good defensive players as well. I think this game will be decided by the Quarterbacks between Reeinert from OC and Schick from Battle Creek which quarterback can make the big play with with his legs or his arm. I think both guys are going to need to come up with some big throws in this game. I think whoever can make the bigger plays in the passing game will win this game. I am also think this could come down to coaching as well. Both Coach Carlson and Coach Anderson are some of the best coaches in Northeast Nebraska. It could come down to who gets more creative with their play calling and comes up with a big play or who comes up with the best game plan. I think this game goes down to end and Battle Creek wins by a touchdown! I think whoever wins this game will most likely go to Lincoln but will have a very tough semifinal vs Valentine or Crofton.

was anyone at the valentine/cross county game?? was wondering how that got out of hand, thought cross county might be able to control line of scrimmage
I was at the game, for the majority of the time Valentine RB's were not being touched till 3 yds down the field, the other thing that hurt cross county is they played a five man front, so once Valentine RB's cleared first level, they usually could out run the rest of the defense.

My predictions for C2 Games on Friday:

Battle Creek 20 Oakland Craig 13

Yutan 23 St. Paul 15

WC 27 HCC 6

Crofton 21 Valentine 14

Some good games and really they could go either way, wide open and unpredictable!!

Just looking at scores...it seems Stanton, Battle Creek, Crofton, and Hartington CC all beat up on each other. I watched Stanton play once earlier in the year, but I don't know anything about the other 3. Out of the 3 that are still alive, who has the best chance to make it to Lincoln?

I think your words "all beat up on each other" is very accurate. In the WC-Stanton game on the sidelines two starters were in street clothes with their arms in a sling. I know one was a starting lineman from talking with folks. I watched Hartington CC late in the season and they had 7 players in street cloths. I'm not sure how that will affect today's games but I do think that their district was brutal. As for the best chance to get to Lincoln I think it's Crofton. OC & BC will beat each other up tonight and because of the history between the two (this is the fourth meeting in two years) that they will both expend a lot of emotional energy in tonight's game so think peaks and valley's maybe a valley in next weeks game for either team. I talked with a parent from Crofton and they told me that they are pretty healthy. The QB has been battling a nagging injury but he's been like that since about game 3 so nothing new. They start 10 seniors so have the experience as well.

Which district would you say is the best?

Pretty hard to argue when 4 teams in the playoffs came from the same district and now one of those teams from that district will be in Lincoln.
Like to see that district win a title this decade but not doubting it was a tough district but we will see if it had the best team in it.

Very similar score with Lincoln Lutheran vs Yutan and Lincoln Lutheran vs the 5th best team from that district that didn't make the playoffs. I have no dog in the fight, just making observations.
It does look like Wilber has a very great team. I would say they are the favorite to win out.

Which district would you say is the best?

Pretty hard to argue when 4 teams in the playoffs came from the same district and now one of those teams from that district will be in Lincoln.
It's the best district for sure, but saying 4 of the best 5 teams are from that district is inaccurate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT