ADVERTISEMENT

Class C Baseball

GrizzzlyPanda

Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2021
With the passing of Class C Baseball for next spring, has anyone heard any rumbling of possible new teams or co-ops that are being put in place to create a team?

Reactions: baseball31ne
With the passing of Class C Baseball for next spring, has anyone heard any rumbling of possible new teams or co-ops that are being put in place to create a team?
( rumor) kearney catholic wants to field their own team. They currently coop with Kearney high. Maybe a coop with gibbon. I think they coop with gibbon for soccer.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClkTwr2011
( rumor) kearney catholic wants to field their own team. They currently coop with Kearney high. Maybe a coop with gibbon. I think they coop with gibbon for soccer.
Coop with Gibbon and Amherst for soccer.

Have heard rumors of Gacc pulling away from West Point Beemer
Would not be shocked by that at all. Surprised they came together to begin with. You could make the argument out of all the towns that have a private and public school, West Point and CC have the most tension with each other.

Have heard rumors of Gacc pulling away from West Point Beemer
Not saying this isn't happening but it really wouldn't make sense for them to dissolve the coop... I'm fairly certain they would still be C. But maybe that would open the door for another team to add baseball. Interesting either way.

Not saying this isn't happening but it really wouldn't make sense for them to dissolve the coop... I'm fairly certain they would still be C. But maybe that would open the door for another team to add baseball. Interesting either way.
There's no chance they'd be on the low end of class B if they stay together? I wasn't sure where they were at currently on the numbers. Obviously from a competition view they definitely belong in C. Aside from that, you know how small towns are - they almost never do what makes the most rational sense and instead are ruled by their emotions.

Would not be shocked by that at all. Surprised they came together to begin with. You could make the argument out of all the towns that have a private and public school, West Point and CC have the most tension with each other.
You are right about the tension. Throw a coach/dad from each school on the staff makes it even better. my guess is they will stay together because of summer legion ball.

There's no chance they'd be on the low end of class B if they stay together? I wasn't sure where they were at currently on the numbers. Obviously from a competition view they definitely belong in C. Aside from that, you know how small towns are - they almost never do what makes the most rational sense and instead are ruled by their emotions.
I did look into that situation with them possibly being B - I'm fairly certain they would still be C but very close to the low end of B. Maybe they did it to make sure they would be C.

I have a hard time thinking that it would be west. You see a lot of cooperatives for baseball and that is easier for teams in the northeast to do due to how many schools in relative location there are. The travel as well would be much easier on teams in that part of the state. Currently west of GI you have only Kearney and MSP. That is an absolute nightmare for travel.

I know I'll get killed for this, but I really wish baseball was played in the summer and got away from the spring. With track, soccer and golf, do we really need spring baseball? Especially outside of Omaha/Lincoln and GI?

Reactions: Charger83
I know I'll get killed for this, but I really wish baseball was played in the summer and got away from the spring. With track, soccer and golf, do we really need spring baseball? Especially outside of Omaha/Lincoln and GI?
For some communities, I think you are right. Schools only have so many students and have to make choices.

For a while there was class C before and schools made choices then and it went away for a while.

Absolutely it should be played in summer!!
Well it's not gonna be. What, we want to join weird Iowa as the only state in the country that has a HS summer season? It will never happen. The NSAA is not going to kill legion baseball in Nebraska and besides, the spring championships are fantastic. With the addition of Class C and the revised tourney format to allow TV coverage of the title games there is zero chance of moving the season. Thankfully.

Summer baseball is a lot more popular amongst football and baseball coaches than spring baseball is for golf and track coaches
In the successful Class B baseball community that my sons play in (not Omaha or Lincoln), I've never heard one peep of discord from golf/track coaches about spring baseball. I think they know by 7th grade which boys are baseball players and they don't lose sleep over it. In comparison, there are annual scuffles over time dedication to football vs baseball and basketball vs baseball. So to even put the words "summer baseball" and "popular" with the words "football and basketball" (I think you meant to type basketball?) simply does not compute in my experience.

Reactions: GoSkers3
In the successful Class B baseball community that my sons play in (not Omaha or Lincoln), I've never heard one peep of discord from golf/track coaches about spring baseball. I think they know by 7th grade which boys are baseball players and they don't lose sleep over it. In comparison, there are annual scuffles over time dedication to football vs baseball and basketball vs baseball. So to even put the words "summer baseball" and "popular" with the words "football and basketball" (I think you meant to type basketball?) simply does not compute in my experience.
I love baseball as much as anybody, but you also need to consider that the majority of the football coaches in Class C and below are also either coaching track or golf in the spring. As a coach I would prefer baseball in the summer over spring baseball every day of the week. Easy to work around a summer baseball schedule for your football players.

Reactions: Charger83
I love baseball as much as anybody, but you also need to consider that the majority of the football coaches in Class C and below are also either coaching track or golf in the spring. As a coach I would prefer baseball in the summer over spring baseball every day of the week. Easy to work around a summer baseball schedule for your football players.
understand all agreements but we will never get summer baseball in Nebraska that is school sponsored. Reasons: 1) they will not step on legion Baseball 2) now you have extended contracts for ADs and maintenance added duties in summer as well as transportation. 3) not very many states do it, so Nebraska is not about to be one of the few. 4) change is hard a true change happens rarely and its to 50/50 or if it is a good change or not

Last edited:
understand all agreements but we never get summer baseball in Nebraska that is school sponsored. Reasons: 1) they will not step on legion Baseball 2) now you have extended contracts for ADs and maintenance added duties in summer as well as transportation. 3) not very many states do it, so Nebraska is not about to be one of the few. 4) change is hard a true change happens rarely and its to 50/50 or if it is a good change or not
Thank you. Like I said (and you), it's 100% obvious it will never happen but people love to debate it.

South Dakota has a unique (or at least I think it is) way of approaching this. They have a baseball association that is separate from their school activities association. They have two classes for spring baseball complete with a state tournament the weekend after their state track meet. It's club ball in the spring and many kids also participate in track and/or golf. I'm not sure how the coaches of the various sports feel about this but they have been using it for a number of years.

I would be surprised if legion baseball is around in 5-10 years. To many kids concentrate on different sport in summer, work, or if real good go play for a select team. Sad but it is about getting like college football bowl games.

I would be surprised if legion baseball is around in 5-10 years. To many kids concentrate on different sport in summer, work, or if real good go play for a select team. Sad but it is about getting like college football bowl games.
That's a bet I'll take. No doubt legion baseball looks different but it will definitely be around in 10+ years. Tons and tons of kids are playing legion baseball while a very small percentage play Prospects, etc. Many of the best players in Omaha and Lincoln are still playing legion ball.

Saw the Louisville/Weeping Water is official. Any other schools announce yet? Know the new OPS and LPS teams but any others, any classes?

Saw the Louisville/Weeping Water is official. Any other schools announce yet? Know the new OPS and LPS teams but any others, any classes?
I heard that Wahoo might be splitting up their co-op, but I don't actually know that for sure. It seems like getting smaller to get in Class C could be attractive for some co-ops.

I heard that Wahoo might be splitting up their co-op, but I don't actually know that for sure. It seems like getting smaller to get in Class C could be attractive for some co-ops.
That coop can't break up until after this season due to the 2 year commitment for coops, and all 3 schools not agreeing to end it early. In the future Wahoo and Lincoln Lutheran will each have teams. Not sure how Neumann will play in that Wahoo team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT