ADVERTISEMENT

Closed School Information

hailvictors2

All-District
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2009
Looking for some information on the following schools that have been closed for a while. I'd appreciate it if anyone had any insight they would be willing to share

Amelia Mallards- What where the school colors? Opened in 1924, when did it close?
Anoka- School colors red/white, what was the mascot?
Bellwood-Marietta Cardinals- Where they red/blue?
Blackbird Rural in Burt County- Red/Black school colors. Open from 1917-1942. What was the mascot?
Bruno- Wore blue, was the other color white? Open from 1898-1948. What was the mascot?
Cedar Rapid's St Anthony's Academy- Royal/White colors, what was the mascot? Open from 1912-1933
Clinton Cubs- Open from 1916-1945. What were the colors?
Davey- School colors gold/blue. Open from 1920-1942. What was the mascot? Ended up consolidating to be part of Raymond Central
Denton- School colors orange/black, open from 1909-1949. What was the mascot?
Garrison- Maroon and Gold school colors. What was the mascot? Open from 1922-1942.
Genoa US Indian Industrial School- What were the school colors? Mascot was Indians. Open from 1884-1934
Goodview Consolidated- Blue and white, but was the mascot really the Gorillas? Someone mentioned that at one point.
High Prairie- School colors were blue/gold, what was mascot?
Liberty Consolidated- Purple and gold school colors. What was mascot?
Lincoln Military Academy- Cadets was mascot. What were school colors?
Magnet- Eagles was mascot, what were school colors?
Malmo- Blue/Gold school colors, what was mascot?
Marietta- Cardinals was mascot, what were school colors?
Marion (Not Omaha Marion, this is in Red Willow County)- Blue/White school colors, need mascot. Absorbed by McCook and Beaver Valley
Martinsburg- Orioles mascot, need school colors
Maskell- Panthers mascot, need school colors. Consolidated with Obert to form Kelbert in 1954
Mason City- Black/Gold colors, what was mascot?
McClean- Red/Black colors, what was mascot?
Nickerson- Blue/White school colors, what was mascot?
Nora- Crimson/Gold school colors, what was mascot?
Norman- Orange/Black school colors, what was mascot?
Omaha Notre Dame Academy- Blue/White colors, what was mascot?
Omaha St Marys- Blue/Gold colors, what was mascot?
Platte Valley- Red/White school colors, what was mascot?
Stockham- Red/White school colors, need mascot
Strang- Cougars mascot, what were school colors?
The Ruby- Purple/White school colors, what was mascot?
Underwood- Rams mascot, what were school colors?
Union- Yankees mascot, what were school colors?
Union Center Consolidated- Orphans was mascot, what were school colors?
Univ. Nebraska School of Ag- Scarlet/Cream colors, what was mascot?
Vesta- Blue/White school colors, what was mascot?
Wheatland- Spartans mascot, what were school colors?
York St Joseph- Green/White colors, what was mascot?

Need Mascot and School Colors
Cottonwood (1907-1940)- Part of Sandhills with Brewster, Dunning, Halsey
Crab Orchard (1885-1947)- Consolidated with Lewiston
Franklin Academy (1881-1922)
Gilead (1904-1957)- Land became part of Hebron in 1992
Gross (1900-1945) Absorbed by Spencer in Boyd County
Hartington Holy Trinity (1900-1963)- Joined 9 other parishes to form Cedar Catholic
Hastings College Academy (1882-1935)
Havana (1921-1943)
Hendley (1904-1942)
Immaculate Conception (1909-1932)
Imperial (1895-1915)
Inland (1893-1943)
Loma (1923-1942)
Lorton (1864-1943)- Consolidated with Cook, Burr, Talmage to form Nemaha Valley
Lowell (1912-1934)
Manley (1897-1951)- Part of Conestoga now
Marsland (1922-1952)
Millard (1900-1981)....eventually became Millard South. What were original colors and mascot?
Monowi (1900-1940)
Murray (1869-1950)
Nebraska City St Bernard's (1908-1959)- Closed and Lourdes opened
Norfolk Sacred Heart/Burns (1927-1967)
Octavia (1888-1946)
Omaha Commerce (1912-1922)
Parks (1910-1964)- Became part of Benkleman
Pauline (1907-1947)
Petersburg St John the Baptist (1912-1967)- One of 6 parishes that formed Pope John in Elgin
Pleasant View (near Nehawka) (1930-1944)
Pleasant View (1917-1946)- Absorbed by Lynch in Boyd County
Princeton (closed in 1965, unsure when opened)
Prosser (1908-1937)
Purdum (1919-1949)
Raeville St John Berchman's (1928-1953)
Riverside Rural (1918-1942)
Verdel (1904-1955)

It was 6 miles east of Blue Springs and seven miles northwest of liberty in Gage county. The boys worked for area farmers in 1939 so they could earn money to buy basketball uniforms.

Reactions: runningback43
I grew up just a few miles from Anoka. I have searched far and wide for their mascot and haven't found anything. They did win the Boyd County basketball tournament in 1938. The school closed about 1940. I know a number of schools started to adopt mascots at about that time. Is it possible that they never had a mascot? All the articles I have read just referred to them as Anoka.

I grew up just a few miles from Anoka. I have searched far and wide for their mascot and haven't found anything. They did win the Boyd County basketball tournament in 1938. The school closed about 1940. I know a number of schools started to adopt mascots at about that time. Is it possible that they never had a mascot? All the articles I have read just referred to them as Anoka.
Boyd County had several small gems that I want to know more about.

This website might help with a lot of it. Also Suiting up Varsity is a great follow on Twitter if you have one.

This website might help with a lot of it. Also Suiting up Varsity is a great follow on Twitter if you have one.

Oh I follow that for sure. Mays is awesome.

Anyone have anything more on Gates Academy in Neligh? It was open from 1899-1914 but I think it was a church affiliated college before that. I can't find many Northeast Nebraska football programs that go back further than Neligh High and Gates.

Anyone have anything more on Gates Academy in Neligh? It was open from 1899-1914 but I think it was a church affiliated college before that. I can't find many Northeast Nebraska football programs that go back further than Neligh High and Gates.
I can tell you that my house currently sits on top of what used to be part of Gates Academy.

Reactions: hailvictors2
Wow, what a great link to the history of Neligh! I think Gates probably played a key role in making football popular in the Northeast part of the state during that era.. My research indicates they had good rivalries with Neligh High and O'Neill High...back when teams would travel to games by rail.

I cant tell you much about the athletics of it, but I can tell you it was a sister school of Doane, so yes church affiliated. The only remaining building is the old gymnasium, which then became the county jail for 64 years before becoming a museum and now an antique store.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
What about "West Kearney"? I've ran across that several times. Guessing the YRTC (Or whatever it's called now) had sports for the juvenile inmates????

What about "West Kearney"? I've ran across that several times. Guessing the YRTC (Or whatever it's called now) had sports for the juvenile inmates????
West Kearney is YRTC, correct. For a while Kearney West was turning enrollment numbers into the NSAA for classification, so I assume they were part of a cooperative of some sort? Maybe they send kids to Kearney High? As an example, my records indicate an enrollment number of 116 for Kearney West in the fall of 2009.

West Kearney is YRTC, correct. For a while Kearney West was turning enrollment numbers into the NSAA for classification, so I assume they were part of a cooperative of some sort? Maybe they send kids to Kearney High? As an example, my records indicate an enrollment number of 116 for Kearney West in the fall of 2009.
Wow. That is unusual. I am pretty sure they haven't fielded sports since at least the 80's. Probably earlier. Don't recall any sort of coop either. Unless it was a very quiet deal with KPS?

Wow. That is unusual. I am pretty sure they haven't fielded sports since at least the 80's. Probably earlier. Don't recall any sort of coop either. Unless it was a very quiet deal with KPS?
I'm not sure if they actually did coop with Kearney. I just know they turned in enrollment numbers. At times those numbers were added to Kearney High's enrollment number. Whether any YRTC kid actually played...I don't know

2009- 116
2011- ???
2013- 86
2015 - 67

I don't have anything from 2017, 2019, or 2021

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
I'm not sure if they actually did coop with Kearney. I just know they turned in enrollment numbers. At times those numbers were added to Kearney High's enrollment number. Whether any YRTC kid actually played...I don't know

2009- 116
2011- ???
2013- 86
2015 - 67

I don't have anything from 2017, 2019, or 2021
In the late 2000s, Boys Ranch kids would sometimes earn the chance to go into town and attend Alliance.

I presume their numbers may have been reported in a similar way. The way I recall it, it was pretty fluid...them in and out of the public school. Not sure any participated in sports at that point, but I know some had in the past

In the late 2000s, Boys Ranch kids would sometimes earn the chance to go into town and attend Alliance.

I presume their numbers may have been reported in a similar way. The way I recall it, it was pretty fluid...them in and out of the public school. Not sure any participated in sports at that point, but I know some had in the past
Interesting. Someone was also telling me that Job Corps (Chadron?) has had hs sports at some points... Dunno.

2 more closed high schools: Loup City Central Catholic operated until 1969
Wiggle Creek was about 5 miles south of Loup City on what is current day Hwy 10. I don’t know when it closed, building was opened in 1921.

Interesting. Someone was also telling me that Job Corps (Chadron?) has had hs sports at some points... Dunno.
I played against Job Corps back in the 80's. I believe they only had boys at that time and only played basketball (Not football for sure and can not remember them in track). They had some very talented teams back then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT