ADVERTISEMENT

"Could have been powerhouses"

northeastNebraska

All-State
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2008
Highway 30
So I was thinking about back to my time in High School and how different the landscape now is compared to it was 10 years ago.

Many schools are consolidated with another or at least co-opting sports. When I was in HS the thought of co-opting major sports (football/basketball) was unheard of.

Granted many of my friends had friends outside of our High School and talked to other kids from neighboring towns. We would talk multiple times about if we were together in football or basketball how much fun it would have been.

So that brings me to this. As I'm trying to bring more conversations to the board. Here is a list of my powerhouses that could have been. (I'm using this as schools near where I grew up that are pretty close to one another/have talked about consolidating in the past/are consolidated now.)

1. Scribner-Snyder-Dodge: Scribner to Dodge is a short 15 mile drive on Highway 91. Snyder is right in the middle of both communities. Back when Snyder joined Scribner in 1987, there was talk about bringing Dodge along. Having a school on the outside of Snyder. Eventually the talks would die and nothing came about it.

But what could have been? Let's say the merger started in 2000. Dodge had plenty of success in the 90's winning four straight titles and another in 1999 and their last title in 2006.

Scribner-Snyder would have success during the 2000's, a few first round exits but most of those teams were 6-2 going in to the playoffs and lost close. They also went 11-1 in 2005 with a 14-20 loss to Plainview in the semi-finals of C2. Their 2006 team that lost in the first round of the playoffs would have made a run with Dodge kids.

Basketball would have been great as well. Both teams were pretty good from 2003-2010 (multiple state births by both teams and a lot of good teams that would lose in a district final and not make it too.)

The school would have probably one of the largest C2's.

I'll post some others when I have more time, to look up scores and facts.

I was thinking of like Cambridge/Arapahoe, Pender/Bancroft-Rosalie, Dodge/Howells (before the merger) Creighton/Plainview.

If you have any others that you thought would have dominated the landscape post them! Just trying to start conversations. This board needs it!

Not sure if this fits or not, but what if Wahoo only had 1 school? BB in Saunders County is really good, and has been for a long time. That would put them in B. I think combined, thy'd be just fine, but maybe not.
Of course that's hoops on a fb thread...

Last edited:
Reactions: northeastNebraska
Laurel Concord and Coleridge in the 90s before they combined. Both had some great teams and won a state title or two. They would have been bumped up to C1 at the time but probably able to compete just fine.

Clay County, mid 80's.
Harvard reached the C2 semis in 84, quarters in 85, runner-up in 86, qualified in 87.
Clay Center (9 miles away) Won the title in 86 (Over Harvard) and qualified in 87 and 88.

A pretty nice run. Combined it could have been wicked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT