ADVERTISEMENT

D-1 Football

Big Red Thoughts

Sophomore
Oct 25, 2015
It seems like the discussion for who is the cream of the crop in Class D-1 is all over the place. With so many top teams dropping to D-2 this year who are the favorites?? Maybe some of the teams dropping down from C-2 (St Pats?). Who are the teams and players to watch for?

I truly think St. Pats will have some growing pains moving to 8-man. Their schedule is favorable and they could go deep into the playoffs but I don't see them doing much to change their offense to fit the 8-man style. If they win it all, good job, but as it sits I think Cross County may be my favorite.

North Platte St. Pat's brings back a lot from their playoff C2 team last year. Jackson Roberts is a beast at running back, if he can stay healthy he is a first team all state guy hands down. The Irish have some big lineman as well who have played a lot of minutes. Coach Dodson is one of the best in the business, he will have his team ready to go.

I still think Cross County will be good, but new coach and lost a lot of seniors who played a lot of time over four years.

Riverside is a team to watch out for as well. With the addition of the few kids from the Academy, they could be a pretty solid team late in the year.

The Crofton Warriors Could be a sleeper that is coming down from very tough C-2 Competition. Early on they have a tough test agianst Bloomfield that will tell us a lot about how they will fair moving to 8 man

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Aiden Kuester from Neligh-Oakdale is the best player in the class. He will more than likely break Scott Frost's career yardage record this year.

Reactions: trackman77
North Platte St. Pat's brings back a lot from their playoff C2 team last year. Jackson Roberts is a beast at running back, if he can stay healthy he is a first team all state guy hands down. The Irish have some big lineman as well who have played a lot of minutes. Coach Dodson is one of the best in the business, he will have his team ready to go.

I still think Cross County will be good, but new coach and lost a lot of seniors who played a lot of time over four years.

Riverside is a team to watch out for as well. With the addition of the few kids from the Academy, they could be a pretty solid team late in the year.
The first game for Cross county is Sutton, that should be a good one. NPSP doesn't play anyone until second round of playoffs. Did anyone see anyone at any camps ?

Last edited:
It's crazy that only 1 of the 8 quarterfinal teams is back in D1 this year. Cross County.

Burwell 41, Anselmo-Merna 18
Howells-Dodge 44, Dundy County Stratton 18
Hitchcock County 58, Perkins County 6
Cross County 58, Lourdes Central Catholic 51

Looking at Bob's rankings...who is the third team? Neligh?

1. NPSP/Sutton
2. NPSP/Sutton
3. ????
4. Cross County
5. Stanton
6. Riverside
7. Elmwood
8. Weeping Water
9. Crofton
10. Pender

Last edited:
It's crazy that only 1 of the 8 quarterfinal teams is back in D1 this year. Cross County.

Burwell 41, Anselmo-Merna 18
Howells-Dodge 44, Dundy County Stratton 18
Hitchcock County 58, Perkins County 6
Cross County 58, Lourdes Central Catholic 51

Looking at Bob's rankings...who is the third team? Neligh?

1. NPSP/Sutton
2. NPSP/Sutton
3. ????
4. Cross County
5. Stanton
6. Riverside
7. Elmwood
8. Weeping Water
9. Crofton
10. Pender
What are the best early season match ups??

What are the best early season match ups??
I believe St Pats opens with Bridgeport with a week 0 game. Bridgeport will run the west district in D-1. They picked up a couple of big transfers from Leyton it sounds like. May be an intriguing game to catch in week 0

I believe St Pats opens with Bridgeport with a week 0 game. Bridgeport will run the west district in D-1. They picked up a couple of big transfers from Leyton it sounds like. May be an intriguing game to catch in week 0
No chance it is even a close game, even though its NPSP first 8-man game.

nothing different from last year Turbo clock and JV finishing the game

nothing different from last year Turbo clock and JV finishing the game
You definitely called it. NPSP got anybody on the schedule to push them? Been nice to see a game with S/T, Dundy or Hitchkock County on there. Gotta assume they see Maxwell, Valley, Sutherland in districts?

You definitely called it. NPSP got anybody on the schedule to push them? Been nice to see a game with S/T, Dundy or Hitchkock County on there. Gotta assume they see Maxwell, Valley, Sutherland in districts?
Cambridge could be a small test next week at home. But I bet it gets blown open like last night. But they’ll cruise through the regular season IMO. They have guys at every spot. This team would be good in C2 this year.

Cambridge could be a small test next week at home. But I bet it gets blown open like last night. But they’ll cruise through the regular season IMO. They have guys at every spot. This team would be good in C2 this year.
The game against Cambridge will be substantially worse than their win against Bridgeport was.

I truly think St. Pats will have some growing pains moving to 8-man. Their schedule is favorable and they could go deep into the playoffs but I don't see them doing much to change their offense to fit the 8-man style. If they win it all, good job, but as it sits I think Cross County may be my favorite.
I redact these comments. One of the most fundamentally sound teams I have watched in a while. I don't see them playing a game without running clock being until at least the quarterfinals.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
I redact these comments. One of the most fundamentally sound teams I have watched in a while. I don't see them playing a game without running clock being until at least the quarterfinals.
Not often someone changes their mind in this crowd. :) And not that I disagree about the team, but didn't they gut pushed a little by Cambridge? That wasn't a speed clock, was it?

Not surprised that Wisner-Pilger beat Lutheran High NE, but I was surprised with the margin of victory.

HD was not a surprise. The coach is phenomenal!! The kids work extremely hard and wait their turn to be called upon. Great work ethic and discipline equals results!!
Congrats to that community
The culture they have is unmatched!!
They do work hard, they have amazing dedication and culture. But N-O was ranked top 5 in a lot of publications in D1, I still think it was a pretty be surprise to see 50-12. Beacom is no joke either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT