ADVERTISEMENT

D1 Football Playoffs

Big Red Thoughts

Sophomore
Oct 25, 2015
Every Class seems to have a thread going except for D1 Football, what do people think so far after two rounds of playoffs? Who are the favorites and how will it shake out? I think a healthy Cross County is the favorite. Who can challenge them?

What’s the NPSP strengths? I haven’t seen them play, but I have saw EMF. Can they stop the EMF run game?
Running down their opponent's throat and not letting people run on them are probably NPSP's strengths aside from just Jackson Roberts' existence. If they can stay healthy they will go a ways.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Erickson is St Pat's best player, they have been better about getting him the ball in the passing game which I feel like probably gives them the edge on everyone moving forward in the playoffs. That and the stellar defense is what beat C-L

St Pats is massive up front and gets off the ball better than anyone left in the playoffs. Crofton or Stanton might be the other two in their class up front. There don't seem to be many weaknesses for them up front, Cross County doesn't surge consistently the way those three teams do. They're incredibly aggressive up front and that's a big part of how N-O beat them last year in the semis. Screen them to death and slow them down

Saw St Pats play once this year. Their size is really impressive. Probably better than NP High's.

NPSP has such an explosive offense. I don't know if there is a team in D1 that has as much overall team speed as NPSP. Plus Erickson's catching ability is so tough to defend.

Stanton big over AP
Cross County 42 to 20
Crofton wins only one that could be close going into the 4th quarter
NPSP 40 to 20
all could be great games for a half IMO

I really hope EV wins, because #2 NPSP is going to have to travel to Crofton for no reason. Just because EV beat someone last week, so Crofton has to go on the road this week.

So dumb. High seed should host throughout.

I really hope EV wins, because #2 NPSP is going to have to travel to Crofton for no reason. Just because EV beat someone last week, so Crofton has to go on the road this week.

So dumb. High seed should host throughout.
I dont know much about Ev or Crofton looking at scores only I would give Crofton the edge but you never know

I'll be shocked if Crofton doesn't win. But it's just nuts to me that the #2 is going to have to go on the road to the #3 because the #11 seed beat the #6 seed.
But.......think of the educational time saved!! I totally agree, it's time for an overhaul but we both know the NSAA runs through the schools and that vote to change is like pulling teeth in class D

Stanton by running clock 60-18
St. Pats is too good 42-22
Crofton they’ll be fine 48-30
Cross County gets a big scare 36-34

Looks like NPSP couldn’t stop EMF run game. EMF was just as big on both lines as NPSP. NPSP had no answer for Schluter

I'll be shocked if Crofton doesn't win. But it's just nuts to me that the #2 is going to have to go on the road to the #3 because the #11 seed beat the #6 seed.
I know this is a D2 game but south loup beats Sandhills in the regular season, earns the 4 seed and is rewarded by going on the road to Sandhills the 8 seed in the semis with state on the line. MAKE IT MAKE SENSE

Obviously there is plenty of parody in 8-man. I don't think there is a way to know who really is the top seed. There were 7 undefeated teams in D1 after the reseed. Road teams did fine this week in the playoffs. Not sure why some continually make a big deal out of who hosts in 8-man. Other than sitting on a bus, there is literally no natural advantage.

Obviously there is plenty of parody in 8-man. I don't think there is a way to know who really is the top seed. There were 7 undefeated teams in D1 after the reseed. Road teams did fine this week in the playoffs. Not sure why some continually make a big deal out of who hosts in 8-man. Other than sitting on a bus, there is literally no natural advantage.
I think people get worked up on some of these long road trips. I'm a big believer in routine and keeping things the same as much as possible. A home game allows you to do that. This SL/S-T game won't be a big deal. There will be more SL fans there then S/T.

Reactions: Ruttingbuck
Because the high seed should host. They deserve it. Just like in A, B, C1 and C2.

In what world should Stanton have to travel to Sandy Creek? Why do we even use power points to seed the playoffs if being at the top isn't rewarded with home games?

Because the high seed should host. They deserve it. Just like in A, B, C1 and C2.

In what world should Stanton have to travel to Sandy Creek? Why do we even use power points to seed the playoffs if being at the top isn't rewarded with home games?
Agreed, do away with the re-seed while you're at it. Seed them 1-32, higher seed hosts and let's play ball.

This year in D2 the 12 seed in the east would have been the 6 seed in the west. So I think it might have made a difference.
High Plains (5-3) would have beaten Twin Loup (5-3)? It's possible, but definitely not a sure thing.

Besides, HP just would've been destroyed in the 2nd round anyway. Most of the 2nd round games were just as bad as the 1st round.

I don't think a hypothetical is a good enough reason to change the east/west playoff format.

Bloomfield not having to play Howells Dodge may have been a better point to make. Either way, I am a fan of a 32 team bracket with no reseeding and higher seed hosting all games.

Bloomfield not having to play Howells Dodge may have been a better point to make. Either way, I am a fan of a 32 team bracket with no reseeding and higher seed hosting all games.
I get what you're saying, but really it effects 1, maybe 2 decent teams per year?

I don't think it effects actual state championship contenders so limit the 1st round blowout traveling to a minimum.

Elm Creek having to travel 4 hours to Wynot just to lose by 50? Hitchcock County going 5 hours to Lourdes for the same fate? Just seems unnecessary for the 1st round to me.

But a Bloomfield vs A-M match-up would've been a fun game I bet.

Teams in D1 West already travel 4 hours for round of 32 games. I mean we have Neligh-Oakdale and Elkhorn Valley as “West” schools. This year alone those teams (potentially) could have traveled to Hemingford or vise-versa. Yikes! That’s a 5 hour drive! Also, a team like Summerland this year upsets a top 6 seed overall and gets a congratulations of the reseed and getting the #1 overall seed, Woof. I’d personally just like to see it 1-32 the draw you get is what you get and it’s “fair” for all parties.

Reactions: Husker7562
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT