ADVERTISEMENT

D1 Football Playoffs

Teams in D1 West already travel 4 hours for round of 32 games. I mean we have Neligh-Oakdale and Elkhorn Valley as “West” schools. This year alone those teams (potentially) could have traveled to Hemingford or vise-versa. Yikes! That’s a 5 hour drive! Also, a team like Summerland this year upsets a top 6 seed overall and gets a congratulations of the reseed and getting the #1 overall seed, Woof. I’d personally just like to see it 1-32 the draw you get is what you get and it’s “fair” for all parties.
N-O had to go 2 hours to Ravenna and Riverside 1 hour to Elkhorn Valley.

Right, at some point the distance will be crazy, but for the most part, it really isn't in the 1st round.

I totally agree on the reseeding. Makes no sense for the higher seed to not maintain home field advantage.

The round of 32 games to me is what it is. I don't hate it, but if the east/west split went away for that I would be fine with it.

Just have to fix the high seed issue.

Reactions: HuskerO
For what it is worth...I was doing some random searching to find some highlights of the remaining teams in D1....found Crofton's Hudl account, which already has Stanton added to their schedule with the time and date of November 20th at 10:45am (State Championship).

I do think this will be the final but found that a little interesting!

So what I'm reading is that we should go to the 9 game regular season and 16 team post season in class D. I believe that proposal is on the table this session already so maybe that can solve the round of 32 blowouts. Then we can just have the high seed host. Seems to work great in class C and 6 man (minus high seed hosting) for 16 team playoffs.

Proposal on the table for 8-man to go to 9 games and 16-team playoffs involves the creation of a third class of 8-man football.

Those classes would mirror the 11-man and 6-man classes in size (about 35-36 teams each).

Reactions: Jrpdd
There were some blowouts Friday, two of them seemed like they could have been way worse if the winning coaches had wanted them to be.

Proposal on the table for 8-man to go to 9 games and 16-team playoffs involves the creation of a third class of 8-man football.

Those classes would mirror the 11-man and 6-man classes in size (about 35-36 teams each).
Yes, but this will not be put in play until the 26-27 football season correct? Next cycle is the same?

Reactions: Ruttingbuck
So what I'm reading is that we should go to the 9 game regular season and 16 team post season in class D. I believe that proposal is on the table this session already so maybe that can solve the round of 32 blowouts. Then we can just have the high seed host. Seems to work great in class C and 6 man (minus high seed hosting) for 16 team playoffs.
This is exactly what is being said....without saying it.

I am a FIRM believer that 8 man needs to go to a 9 game schedule and 16 team playoff. The teams that really need that extra game and week of practice are the teams that are in the bottom 30% of the class. It is really unfair to exclude the struggling teams.

Some great semi final matchups with each game being a toss up. Rooting for Sandy Creek, didn't think anyone would knock off Cross County

This is exactly what is being said....without saying it.

I am a FIRM believer that 8 man needs to go to a 9 game schedule and 16 team playoff. The teams that really need that extra game and week of practice are the teams that are in the bottom 30% of the class. It is really unfair to exclude the struggling teams
stop after your first sentence!
3 more practices and an extra 60 pt loss isnt changin the culture and direction of the bottom 20 teams n 8man 1 and 2

they need better football players

3 more practices and an extra 60 pt loss isnt changin the culture and direction of the bottom 20 teams n 8man 1 and 2

So does this also hold true for Classes A, B, C1, and C2? The bottom, bad teams should not play in week 9? Or does this only hold true for the 8-man players in D1 and D2?

So does this also hold true for Classes A, B, C1, and C2? The bottom, bad teams should not play in week 9? Or does this only hold true for the 8-man players in D1 and D2?
Exactly. And what about Basketball, Volleyball, etc.? Should we throw out the bottom half before District play begins? Or seed up the top 16,1 District game and off to State?

This is so ignorant. South Loup 2020 (0-8), 2021 (1-7), 2022 (6-4), 2023 (11-0 and counting) and looking like they can win it all... Looks like the culture changed there? I think not! The culture was there! When you got the DUDES you got the DUDES they could've benefited tremendously from another game their freshmen and sophomore seasons. SMH

This is so ignorant. South Loup 2020 (0-8), 2021 (1-7), 2022 (6-4), 2023 (11-0 and counting) and looking like they can win it all... Looks like the culture changed there? I think not! The culture was there! When you got the DUDES you got the DUDES they could've benefited tremendously from another game their freshmen and sophomore seasons. SMH
Thank you!

i feel like the south Loup example 100% proves my point maybe you’re misunderstanding me.
south loup could very well win a state title this yr w/out having 9th game in 2020/2021 and 3 extra practices.
if they don’t win a state title in 2023, was that the difference?

I’m guessing the difference between 2020/2021 south loup and 2023 south loup is they have way better football players or the players on the field in 20/21 were freshman/ so

I could care less if we have 8 or 9 games but to say it’s unfair to exclude 20 struggling teams from a 9th game doesnt make sense to me

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
i feel like the south Loup example 100% proves my point maybe you’re misunderstanding me.
south loup could very well win a state title this yr w/out having 9th game in 2020/2021 and 3 extra practices.
if they don’t win a state title in 2023, was that the difference?

I’m guessing the difference between 2020/2021 south loup and 2023 south loup is they have way better football players or the players on the field in 20/21 were freshman/ so

I could care less if we have 8 or 9 games but to say it’s unfair to exclude 20 struggling teams from a 9th game doesnt make sense to me
I think you are missing the point. The point is that struggling Class D football teams are punished by not being allowed to play a 9th game. What other sport does this? None that I know of.

What about quarterfinal blowouts in other classes?

I think you are missing the point. The point is that struggling Class D football teams are punished by not being allowed to play a 9th game. What other sport does this? None that I know of.
here’s the difference
Class A 16/31 make playoffs
Class B 16/25
Class c1 16/36
Class c2 16/36
Class d1 32/54
Class d2 32/54
Class d3 16/32

Nsaa has 50-65% of ea class in playoff field
if 8man went to 16 theyd be at 29% which im guessin they feel a handful of teams could be left out that are on the bubble
32 secures that doubt

i think youre makin way to big a deal about a 9th game
most 0-8 1-7 2-6 teams that I know need about 30 more practices and 0 more games
they fit one of two categories -
theyre either juniors and seniors that need more blocking drills, tackling drills, route running , qb camp, couldnt find the weight room at their school, maybe should actually watch a football game and put their phone away etc
Or
theyre teams w a lot of fr and so that have probably played 8 varsity games in addition to a full jv schedule and they too need to do the above
or theyre just bad athletes and already shut down week 4

i think youre makin way to big a deal about a 9th game
most 0-8 1-7 2-6 teams that I know need about 30 more practices and 0 more games
they fit one of two categories -
theyre either juniors and seniors that need more blocking drills, tackling drills, route running , qb camp, couldnt find the weight room at their school, maybe should actually watch a football game and put their phone away etc
Or
theyre teams w a lot of fr and so that have probably played 8 varsity games in addition to a full jv schedule and they too need to do the above
or theyre just bad athletes and already shut down week 4

Just my two cents on this whole 8-9 topic. I'm looking at it from a little differant perspective, the rich getting richer. In 8 man football the teams that advance all the way have 5 additional games and weeks of practice. That's 40% longer of a schedule. I'll probably blow some minds here but I'd be ok with all classes going to a 10 game regular season schedule and 8 man playoff fields. The longer the season the more the cream rises.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
Just my two cents on this whole 8-9 topic. I'm looking at it from a little differant perspective, the rich getting richer. In 8 man football the teams that advance all the way have 5 additional games and weeks of practice. That's 40% longer of a schedule. I'll probably blow some minds here but I'd be ok with all classes going to a 10 game regular season schedule and 8 man playoff fields. The longer the season the more the cream rises.
I agree with the ten games, this something you see in states like Missouri, Texas, Alabama and so on,

here’s the difference
Class A 16/31 make playoffs
Class B 16/25
Class c1 16/36
Class c2 16/36
Class d1 32/54
Class d2 32/54
Class d3 16/32

Nsaa has 50-65% of ea class in playoff field
if 8man went to 16 theyd be at 29% which im guessin they feel a handful of teams could be left out that are on the bubble
32 secures that doubt
I guess I don't see how a field of 32 secures any doubt. What secures the doubt is winning 1 more game. There would be a bubble if we took 40 teams.....well what about that 41st team that gets left out.

The teams from 16-32 are possibly winning their first game in a round of 32 but how many of those won a round of 16 game? Just give everyone the 9th game and cut the playoffs to 16. If anyone is dead set on the 50% total then go to 24 with a first round bye for the top 8 seeds.

I guess I don't see how a field of 32 secures any doubt. What secures the doubt is winning 1 more game. There would be a bubble if we took 40 teams.....well what about that 41st team that gets left out.

The teams from 16-32 are possibly winning their first game in a round of 32 but how many of those won a round of 16 game? Just give everyone the 9th game and cut the playoffs to 16. If anyone is dead set on the 50% total then go to 24 with a first round bye for the top 8 seeds.
nice idea but nsaa wont go with it
the bubble is a lot closer at 16/17 than 32/33

Howells dodge is 14 this year
Last yr weeping water was outside top 16 and made quarters in a game they were competitive in

nice idea but nsaa wont go with it
the bubble is a lot closer at 16/17 than 32/33

Howells dodge is 14 this year
Last yr weeping water was outside top 16 and made quarters in a game they were competitive in
Howells and Weeping Water would pick up more points with a 9th game / win. Would another win have put Weeping Water in the top 16 last year? I have no idea. And it's not the NSAA, they don't care. It is the schools that have a vote at the NSAA meetings.

A couple of things about this topic.
1. In some schools kids just don’t care for football. I’ve seen athletic kids do very well in other sports but put together a poor football season. After about the 3rd game of the season they’re checked out, and don’t care if they make playoffs or not. I know a lot of that is culture, but making them play a 9th game isn’t going to suddenly make them a better team. It adds the risk of them getting hurt and missing some or all of the winter and/or spring sports seasons. We have to realize that this is 8 man, these aren’t schools where kids just do 1 sport…the majority of them do 2-3 sports.

2. I remember a season when a 3-5 St Ed team who played in a loaded district made it all the way to the semifinals and was competitive in that semifinal game. If you go to a 16 team bracket that team doesn’t qualify for playoffs. With the current system yes you have teams qualifying for the playoffs and getting blown out in game 1. But the change to reseed after the first round is the best thing the state has done.

3. It all comes down to this: coaches need to coach better and change the teams culture, kids need to live in the weight room and actually go to camps over the summer, and parents need to get out of little Johnny’s ear and quit telling him that he’s a star basketball player and not to get hurt during football

Blowouts yesterday in A, B, and C2 playoffs.

I can get behind it if you go to 16 teams with a 9th game in 8 man, but "blowouts in round of 32" is a bad argument. There are many blowouts in every class each round.

Burwell doesn't win a state championship a few years back either if there were 16 team playoffs.

There's a load of teams in 8 man, there are drop-downs affecting power points, and each team is ultimately at the mercy of the NSAA scheduling.

Blowouts yesterday in A, B, and C2 playoffs.

I can get behind it if you go to 16 teams with a 9th game in 8 man, but "blowouts in round of 32" is a bad argument. There are many blowouts in every class each round.

Burwell doesn't win a state championship a few years back either if there were 16 team playoffs.

There's a load of teams in 8 man, there are drop-downs affecting power points, and each team is ultimately at the mercy of the NSAA scheduling.
Burwell (also) would have picked up points in the 9th game.

Now that the final is set, what are the thoughts? Will it be a game of who can get a stop when needed? looking at EMF schedule they have had a couple tight games, where Stanton has basically had one competitive game.

For what it is worth...I was doing some random searching to find some highlights of the remaining teams in D1....found Crofton's Hudl account, which already has Stanton added to their schedule with the time and date of November 20th at 10:45am (State Championship).

I do think this will be the final but found that a little interesting!
Whoever did that needs kicked in the nuts then

Reactions: footballguy61
Not always. What it their 9th game is a 1-7 or 2-6 team? They get bottom division points (40) and actually drop from what I would assume they were.
Actually, in 2016 Burwell was at 40.125 points after the regular season. Even a win against a 0-8 team would have improved their Wildcard points.

Actually, in 2016 Burwell was at 40.125 points after the regular season. Even a win against a 0-8 team would have improved their Wildcard points.
To clarify, In 2016 a win against an 0-8 team was worth 40 points. You are correct if applying that to the 41 they would receive now.

Now that the final is set, what are the thoughts? Will it be a game of who can get a stop when needed? looking at EMF schedule they have had a couple tight games, where Stanton has basically had one competitive game.
Should be a battle of similar styles, both want to run the ball. Stanton has to stop Schluter and EMF had to stop Wilke. I don’t think either has been stopped yet this year.

Stanton isn't just a one man show... They have weapons all over the place on offense. Not to mention that defense they have is so fast and athletic. I'll be honest I don't know much about EMF, but what I do know that RB sounds like the real deal. My guess is that it'll be a fast game in real time with a lot of running the ball. Either way it should be a great game! I pick Stanton 42-36

Reactions: elbens01
To clarify, In 2016 a win against an 0-8 team was worth 40 points. You are correct if applying that to the 41 they would receive now.
Good catch! I missed that. I stand corrected. Statistically, the odds are that that 9th game would have been against a division 2 or 3 team, but you are correct.

Reactions: Power_I_82
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT