ADVERTISEMENT

Defunct Cooperatives

hailvictors2

All-District
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2009
Thought it might be fun to go down this rabbit hole. We have discussed some of these types of things before, but it has been a minute. What are some cooperative agreements that are no longer going? Not consolidations....cooperatives, meaning both schools (or all 3 or 4 schools) were operating on an individual basis at the academic level, but collectively with each other for a specific sport.
As an example- Chambers-Wheeler Central-Ewing was a cooperative for a little while. Chambers and Wheeler Central are still a cooperative, but Ewing is now part of Summerland consolidation.

I'm interested in the following information.....schools involved, who was the lead school, what was their mascot, what sports did they play, what years did the cooperative exist, what were their colors?

Wakefield and Allen for girl's sports. About 2 seasons around 2020.
Emerson-Hubbard and Pender for track and field. About 5 years around 2015-2020.
Ponca and Newcastle for all but football. Two years about 2010.

Reactions: hailvictors2
Thought it might be fun to go down this rabbit hole. We have discussed some of these types of things before, but it has been a minute. What are some cooperative agreements that are no longer going? Not consolidations....cooperatives, meaning both schools (or all 3 or 4 schools) were operating on an individual basis at the academic level, but collectively with each other for a specific sport.
As an example- Chambers-Wheeler Central-Ewing was a cooperative for a little while. Chambers and Wheeler Central are still a cooperative, but Ewing is now part of Summerland consolidation.

I'm interested in the following information.....schools involved, who was the lead school, what was their mascot, what sports did they play, what years did the cooperative exist, what were their colors?

Woodriver-Shelton in football. Black and silver gorillas. Sweet uniforms, terrible football team. 20-21.

Some old football cooperatives
Wood River-Shelton Silverbacks in football 2020-2021, SIlver/Black
Milford-Dorchester in football from 2014-2017. Eagles, purple/white
Elba-North Loup Scotia Bluejays, 2011-2012 purple/gold
Chambers-Wheeler Central-Ewing wore black/orange/white from 2016-2017. I don't know their mascot
Cedar Valley was in Cedar Rapids, but I don't know who all was involved. 2012-2013. Blue/White

Osceola-High Plains (love the Stormdog name)
Was Trenton and Stratton a coop? (Lakeside Central?)

Osceola-High Plains (love the Stormdog name)
Was Trenton and Stratton a coop? (Lakeside Central?)
1999-2007 Lakeside Central- Culbertson, Trenton, Stratton. It was a school unification, not a cooperative or consolidation. Whatever that means.

BRLD Wolverines: now just B-R & Lyons Decatur NE all sports I believe
O'Neill & Ewing actually co-oped football in early 2000s. Still the Eagles, but had Tiger paws on middle stripe of helmet
Wayne & Wakefield in baseball in 2010's
Ponca & S Sioux had a softball co-op up until 5-6 years ago.
High Plains & Osceola co-op football for 2 years maybe. The StormDogs..great mascot

Battle Creek & Elkhorn Valley had a softball coop in 2000s
Cass County Central Crush. Louisville & Weeping Water. Broke up, 2 were separate. Now Cass is Louisville & Conestoga. Believe Weeping Water is on their own

1999-2007 Lakeside Central- Culbertson, Trenton, Stratton. It was a school unification, not a cooperative or consolidation. Whatever that means.
Lakeside Central was only Trenton and Stratton until at least 2004-2005. Culbertson was by itself until 2004-2005. Trenton and Stratton were also co-oped previously as Southwest Thunder.

Bruning and Davenport in football only and started in late 80's. Not sure how many years it went before they consolidated . They were the Bearcats (Bruning Bears & Davenport Tigers) and lost to East Butler in 1989 D-1 state championship.

Reactions: hailvictors2
I’m a Maywood grad and would have loved to see this coop have a chance to develop. Unfortunately, there has never been much patience or cooperation between these two communities that are 6 miles apart. I figured it would fail, but I knew it was doomed when the NSAA released the first schedule. NP St. Pat’s, Cambridge, and Grant to open with. 3 blowout losses and I’m sure parents on both sides threw up their arms and said, “See? I told you it wouldn’t work!”

I’m a Maywood grad and would have loved to see this coop have a chance to develop. Unfortunately, there has never been much patience or cooperation between these two communities that are 6 miles apart. I figured it would fail, but I knew it was doomed when the NSAA released the first schedule. NP St. Pat’s, Cambridge, and Grant to open with. 3 blowout losses and I’m sure parents on both sides threw up their arms and said, “See? I told you it wouldn’t work!”
It’s absolutely ridiculous that Maywood is still open. Wish that co-op would have worked.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
Lakeside Central was only Trenton and Stratton until at least 2004-2005. Culbertson was by itself until 2004-2005. Trenton and Stratton were also co-oped previously as Southwest Thunder.
Looking at the 2000 HuskerlandPrep Report, there is a team in District D2-9 called Twin Valley. In the district was Hayes Center, Stapleton, Wallace, Twin Valley and Wheatland. Was that Medicine Valley? I don’t see them listed. Lakeside Central was already established as well.

Looking at the 2000 HuskerlandPrep Report, there is a team in District D2-9 called Twin Valley. In the district was Hayes Center, Stapleton, Wallace, Twin Valley and Wheatland. Was that Medicine Valley? I don’t see them listed. Lakeside Central was already established as well.
Twin Valley (Rebels) was Bartley (Bombers) and Beaver Valley (Panthers). Beaver Valley was a consolidation between Danbury and Lebanon. Twin Valley went on to consolidate with Republican Valley to make present day Southwest.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Twin Valley (Rebels) was Bartley (Bombers) and Beaver Valley (Panthers). Beaver Valley was a consolidation between Danbury and Lebanon. Twin Valley went on to consolidate with Republican Valley to make present day Southwest.
The Southwest consolidation is so detailed. A lot of different names and towns before becoming what they are now. Love their school now, it’s super nice.

Quick summary of Southwest consolidation

1958- Danbury and Lebanon consolidate to form Beaver Valley
1969- Indianola and Red Willow consolidate to form Republican Valley
1981- Wilsonville joins Beaver Valley consolidation
1997- Bartley and Beaver Valley consolidate to form Twin Valley
2004- Republican Valley and Twin Valley consolidate to form Southwest

Chambers-Wheeler Central-Ewing wore black/orange/white from 2016-2017. I don't know their mascot
Cedar Valley was in Cedar Rapids, but I don't know who all was involved. 2012-2013. Blue/White
Cedar Valley Mavericks. dark green and white. Greeley-Wolbach-Cedar Rapids

It’s absolutely ridiculous that Maywood is still open. Wish that co-op would have worked.
It's not ridiculous that its open. Maywood has a nice school. Would it be nice if they co-op with the school over the hill? Yes. If the co-op did exist it would only make sense that either grade school or high school was still in Maywood. That's way too nice of a facility to leave sitting. I'm not real sure why you are so opinionated on small towns trying to keep their schools and towns alive. Is it expensive, Hell yes, but if you close down the school, half the business's in town will be gone if 5 years. I will never fault people for trying as long as they can to make it work. We have a ton of towns in this situation right now. It does make more sense to either offer DL classes with other schools and work around teacher shortage and salary that way. It's no different than the enrollment situation schools find themselves in with sports. Be proactive and come up with a plan that will work for your situation.

It's not ridiculous that its open. Maywood has a nice school. Would it be nice if they co-op with the school over the hill? Yes. If the co-op did exist it would only make sense that either grade school or high school was still in Maywood. That's way too nice of a facility to leave sitting. I'm not real sure why you are so opinionated on small towns trying to keep their schools and towns alive. Is it expensive, Hell yes, but if you close down the school, half the business's in town will be gone if 5 years. I will never fault people for trying as long as they can to make it work. We have a ton of towns in this situation right now. It does make more sense to either offer DL classes with other schools and work around teacher shortage and salary that way. It's no different than the enrollment situation schools find themselves in with sports. Be proactive and come up with a plan that will work for your situation.
It's just an opinion and I respect yours. I don't believe all small towns should close their schools. Some definitely should because of the teaching shortage, poor/old buildings, declining enrollment and the declining rural population. I shouldn't have brought it up in this thread, as there is another thread dedicated to that topic.

Cedar Valley was Cedar Rapids and Greeley-Wolbach

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT