ADVERTISEMENT

Great high school sports stories of the past...

coachsloup

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jul 8, 2013
One thing that has always intrigued me is a good sports story of the past, especially in Nebraska. I’ve loved meeting people from around the state and talking about their high school memories. What are some great stories that you’ve heard, been apart of, or had a chance to see unfold in person??? I’ll gladly start with one of my favorites...A good friend of mine (don’t judge me haha) Kelly Prater from Clearwater was apart of the four straight state basketball titles of the mid-late 80’s for the Cardinals and legendary coach Rick Hesse. As the story goes, some community members were very confident with the 4th trip to Lincoln and unveiled BEFORE the first round game a banner that read “Welcome to the 4th Annual Clearwater Invite”....Cocky? Yes, but if you can back it up by all means be my guest! Haha one of my favorites of all time!

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
coachsloup, i posted this recently this was my favorite memory

hey guys, was lifting with some friends last weekend and we got to talkin about our glory days on the gridiron. one topic of interest was our greatest individual moment. I remember mine was we were playing the great omaha nation, I intercepted a pass and I was running into the end zone I looked back at the ON guy trying to catch me(not likely fool!) and I put my hand over my mouth and gave the Indian call “bahbahbahbah!”

One of my favorites was Seward winning the state title in 2001, the same year several students were killed in a bus accident on Dodge Street in Omaha. If I recall correctly, they avenged an earlier season loss to Crete in the finals.

I am actually from Seward and was a freshman in the fall of 01. Very devastating to the community in October when the bus accident happened and the run that Seward went on in the playoffs was an unforgetable memory and something that helped the healing process to many. You are correct that was an avenged loss in the finals and still to this day Sewards only state title, 35-20 that night.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
coachsloupdog is a class act THEREISNOPLACE, be nice tis the season. happy holidays you scrooge.

-Hearing stories of Dodge’s 8 man squad in the early to mid 90’s. Cory Eikmeier breaking records left and right.

-Hearing stories from my parents about the Lyons-Decatur basketball teams in the late 70’s.

My favorite high school sporting event memory is watching Ogallala beat Wahoo in 1992. Ended Wahoo's 114 game winning streak. Devaney Center was sold out. Great game and a tremendous win for Etz.

One of my favorites was in 2016 when Elmwood-Murdock upset Winnebago in the C-2 semis. Devaney Center was completely sold out and EM had no business winning that game, but they did everything right and played the perfect game. Also always gotta love when an 8 seed makes a run at state too. Most recent memory is 2017 Diller-Odell girls, 2015 Norfolk girls and 2017 WPGACC boys

-Hearing stories of Dodge’s 8 man squad in the early to mid 90’s. Cory Eikmeier breaking records left and right.

-Hearing stories from my parents about the Lyons-Decatur basketball teams in the late 70’s.

My Jr. High basketball coach played on those Lyons teams. Was always cool to hear him talk about how dominant they were.

One of my favorites was in 2016 when Elmwood-Murdock upset Winnebago in the C-2 semis. Devaney Center was completely sold out and EM had no business winning that game, but they did everything right and played the perfect game. Also always gotta love when an 8 seed makes a run at state too. Most recent memory is 2017 Diller-Odell girls, 2015 Norfolk girls and 2017 WPGACC boys
I was at that Elmwood-Murdock game when they beat Winnebago and that was probably one of the better high school games I have ever seen. There wasn't enough room for standing room only.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT