ADVERTISEMENT

Does NSAA set sports schedules? Do Nebraska teams ever travel out of state?

Dec 2, 2001
I think I've heard before that NSAA sets football schedules for schools, is that right? Do they set their whole schedule or just a portion? Do they schedule other sports for the schools as well?

As someone who lived in Nebraska a long time and was a casual high school sports observer, I very rarely see teams play schools from other states. As I missing it? Are there rules against it?

Where we are in California now, it is very common to travel for high school sports. My daughter's high school cross country team was just in Boise, ID this weekend and the volleyball team was in Oregon. The football team often plays Oregon and Nevada teams. The basketball teams are going to Hawaii this year and have been to Alaska and Hawaii in the past. Baseball often goes to Arizona. This is all fairly common for teams around here. Why don't Nebraska schools take advantage of the opportunity sports provide to experience different things, which can often be very educational?

State sets the schedule. Schools supply a "wish list". If Nebraska schools want to play out of state, those games go on the wish list with the week they are to be played.

Reactions: cougar15
I know DCS plays Sedgwick county Colorado in football. They also play Wray co and Rawlins County Ks in Basketball

Reactions: dchpt
I think I've heard before that NSAA sets football schedules for schools, is that right? Do they set their whole schedule or just a portion? Do they schedule other sports for the schools as well?

As someone who lived in Nebraska a long time and was a casual high school sports observer, I very rarely see teams play schools from other states. As I missing it? Are there rules against it?

Where we are in California now, it is very common to travel for high school sports. My daughter's high school cross country team was just in Boise, ID this weekend and the volleyball team was in Oregon. The football team often plays Oregon and Nevada teams. The basketball teams are going to Hawaii this year and have been to Alaska and Hawaii in the past. Baseball often goes to Arizona. This is all fairly common for teams around here. Why don't Nebraska schools take advantage of the opportunity sports provide to experience different things, which can often be very educational?
The NSAA only sets the schedules for football.....in all other sports, schools set their own schedules.

As far as competition vs. other states, those schools that are in close proximity to the border regularly compete against neighboring states. A few schools do travel further for basketball, wrestling, volleyball competitions over extended breaks.

Reactions: cougar15

For class D football, I have been told that the NSAA schedules 5 games (basically your district games) and the athletic director of the school schedules the other 3 games.

Those other 3 games could be the wishlist mentioned above by someone else.

In other sports today (high school and junior high: volleyball, basketball, track), we play local Kansas teams all the time, just not recently in football.

When I was in high school in the late 90's, we started some seasons against a Kansas team.

As far as your questions on taking trips for sports, maybe money is the issue.

For class D football, I have been told that the NSAA schedules 5 games (basically your district games) and the athletic director of the school schedules the other 3 games.

In other sports today (high school and junior high: volleyball, basketball, track), we play local Kansas teams all the time, just not recently in football.

When I was in high school in the late 90's, we started some seasons against a Kansas team.

In all classes of football the each school submits a wish list of non district games they would like to play. The NSAA schedules the entire season and all games for football, the try to get that school a team or two on wish list but often you get none.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
In all classes of football the each school submits a wish list of non district games they would like to play. The NSAA schedules the entire season and all games for football, the try to get that school a team or two on wish list but often you get none.
The key is to get the other team to put you #1 on the list. Those are virtually guaranteed.

The key is to get the other team to put you #1 on the list. Those are virtually guaranteed.
They try for sure, wish Nebraska would just expand districts to at least 7 teams and then use cross districts to schedule the other games Would be so much easier, I can not imagine the nightmare of scheduling 250+ teams games That is insane and why Nebraska is the only state that does it

This. If AD's work together, you get at least two teams you want most years.

For example, Aquinas and Scotus have been playing every year since the 60's (except the first year state took over scheduling in 2001) and they have pretty much been in separate classes most of the time. Late 90's Aquinas was C1 when Scotus dropped down to C1 so they were in the same district together.

Football it's hard to do, but I'd like to see more of it in basketball and volleyball.

This. If AD's work together, you get at least two teams you want most years.

For example, Aquinas and Scotus have been playing every year since the 60's (except the first year state took over scheduling in 2001) and they have pretty much been in separate classes most of the time. Late 90's Aquinas was C1 when Scotus dropped down to C1 so they were in the same district together.

Football it's hard to do, but I'd like to see more of it in basketball and volleyball.
Exactly. If both teams SAY they requested each other #1 and don't get the game...somebody is "inaccurate".

Exactly. If both teams SAY they requested each other #1 and don't get the game...somebody is "inaccurate".
agree with all that but still how crazy is it the state schedules the entire season for 250+ teams That is nuts and why Nebraska is the only state that does it and still I hear people complain about it and that its for two years If you went to district of at least seven, that takes up 6 games leaving only 2 or 3 games to schedule and if you auto cross district problem solved. This is what other states do mostly and you could then do a one year cycle as well

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
Schools made their own schedule up until 2001 maybe? Then the state went to districts. Many teams were having trouble filling schedules. And, conference football went away when small school conferences had a mix of 11 man and 8 man teams.

As a former AD, I can tell you that organizing one's own schedule would be a nightmare. Especially if you have a good team as no one will would volunteer to play you.

Schools made their own schedule up until 2001 maybe? Then the state went to districts. Many teams were having trouble filling schedules. And, conference football went away when small school conferences had a mix of 11 man and 8 man teams.

As a former AD, I can tell you that organizing one's own schedule would be a nightmare. Especially if you have a good team as no one will would volunteer to play you.
still think its an easy fix, make districts 7 or 8 teams and then you are only looking for one or two games and make it mandatory cross district 1 cross with 2 and so on

This. Not many schools are putting Pierce down on their request lists. Same with Aurora, NPSP, Norfolk Catholic, etc.

still think its an easy fix, make districts 7 or 8 teams and then you are only looking for one or two games and make it mandatory cross district, 1 cross with 2 and so on

Interesting. Here our teams are in a league, where they play 5 or 6 games, and also a section, where they play their playoff games. They schedule their other 3 or 4 games themselves. My brother is a high school AD. It takes some work, but they're able to work out schedules. It seems weird to me that teams don't want to play good teams. Our teams, from a somewhat small (100,000 pop) area regularly go play some of the bigger and better schools, from the big cities, often knowing it's going to be an uphill battle.

Last edited:
Interesting. Here our teams are in a league, where they play 5 or 6 games, and also a section, where they play their playoff games. They schedule their other 3 or 4 games themselves. My brother is a high school AD. It takes some work, but they're able to work out schedules. It seems weird to me that teams don't want to play good teams. Our teams, from a somewhat small (100,000 pop) area regularly go play some of the bigger and better schools, from the big cities, often knowing it's going to be an uphill
Seems strange to me. Let schools put their own schedules together, IMO.
Good luck if your Gering, Scottsbluff, north platte, etc. I highly doubt Pius put Scottsbluff at no 1. Just looking at Scottsbluff scheduled road games. Lincoln, waverly, york, and Lexington. Yikes, I’m sure they are used to it, though.

Last edited:
Good luck if your Gering, Scottsbluff, north platte, etc. I highly doubt Pius put Scottsbluff at no 1. Just looking at Scottsbluff scheduled road games. Lincoln, waverly, york, and Lexington. Yikes, I’m sure they are used to it, though.
no system can make up or adjust for the fact some teams can only play the few handful they have around them, I will bet that NFC didn't write in Mitchell as their 1st or 2nd choice There just is not much you can do about it.

I am a former AD and the state does set the schedule for ALL games. If a school wants to play an out of state team....they can provide the school and the date and the NSAA will TRY to accommodate playing one out of state school.

no system can make up or adjust for the fact some teams can only play the few handful they have around them, I will bet that NFC didn't write in Mitchell as their 1st or 2nd choice There just is not much you can do about it.
I agree with you. I was responding to the ‘teams should make their own schedule’. Letting the state do it, with some input, is fine in my opinion. My post kind of wandered around there 🤪. I’m glad Pius is on their schedule, but without the state would they be…I doubt it. I think they’d play more Colorado, Wyoming and maybe even South Dakota. Then people would whine about their points 😜

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
It seems weird to me that teams don't want to play good teams. Our teams, from a somewhat small (100,000 pop) area regularly go play some of the bigger and better schools, from the big cities, often knowing it's going to be an uphill battle.
I don't know how playoff points are done in other states. Here in Nebraska, it can really hurt a team to schedule that sure loss just to go play some better competition. You could move yourself down several seeding slots in a hurry.

I have often thought that rather than all of the bonus points and such for playing up a class, we should simply drop the out of class games when it comes time to calculate wild card points. This way, there are benefits for teams wanting to play larger schools for development purposes.

Reactions: saluno22
There is no consistency to scheduling, many coaches put wish list teams that are 25-30 minutes away and the state sends them hours away, makes no sense, kids are busy enough, no need to send the 2-3 hours away when there are several options within 30 minutes

There is no consistency to scheduling, many coaches put wish list teams that are 25-30 minutes away and the state sends them hours away, makes no sense, kids are busy enough, no need to send the 2-3 hours away when there are several options within 30 minutes
again I say, why not make districts 7 or 8 teams and cross district or leave schools to just find one or two teams ??

Or the NSAA could actually listen to schools and accept more of the wish list teams, but I don't think the NSAA has their ears open very much.
I think there are 313 member schools. There are 280 football teams among those 313 member schools. If you asked the 280 football teams if they would prefer to make their own schedule or be at the mercy of the NSAA it would be an overwhelming majority that would prefer to make their own schedule. The whole reason the NSAA makes the schedules is because teams didn't want to play the juggernauts at the time like Prep, Lincoln Southeast, Elkhorn, Pius, Howells, Cambridge, etc. The schools need to take scheduling back. We shouldn't be seeing non-district match-ups like Norfolk Catholic vs Louisville. That is absolutely insane. Neither team listed that on their wish list. There will be a handful of teams in each class that have trouble filling their 9 game schedule, but that's their problem. There is a reason teams don't want to play them. The NSAA needs to quit protecting those teams. Maybe they run it up, maybe they play dirty, maybe their coach is arrogant, whatever..... all of those are the team's problem. There will be 0 teams that can't fill a schedule because they are just too dominant that anyone wants to play them.

The NSAA can continue to make the districts if they want. They do that in every other sport. They should not have a hand in the non-district.

I think there are 313 member schools. There are 280 football teams among those 313 member schools. If you asked the 280 football teams if they would prefer to make their own schedule or be at the mercy of the NSAA it would be an overwhelming majority that would prefer to make their own schedule. The whole reason the NSAA makes the schedules is because teams didn't want to play the juggernauts at the time like Prep, Lincoln Southeast, Elkhorn, Pius, Howells, Cambridge, etc. The schools need to take scheduling back. We shouldn't be seeing non-district match-ups like Norfolk Catholic vs Louisville. That is absolutely insane. Neither team listed that on their wish list. There will be a handful of teams in each class that have trouble filling their 9 game schedule, but that's their problem. There is a reason teams don't want to play them. The NSAA needs to quit protecting those teams. Maybe they run it up, maybe they play dirty, maybe their coach is arrogant, whatever..... all of those are the team's problem. There will be 0 teams that can't fill a schedule because they are just too dominant that anyone wants to play them.
wrong the NSAA did not decide to do every schedule in the state the schools voted to have the NSAA do every schedule in the state and if the ADs want to overwhelming do the schedule, all they would have to do is write a proposal and vote it in and they would

From Stu Pospisil's latest article......he notes that Saturday is the deadline for schools to submit proposals for changes in NSAA regulations. He has some suggestions:

- Increase the varsity ineligibility period from 90 days to 180 days for transfers after the May 1 deadline who are not covered by a change in domicile

- Require all schools to use MaxPreps for reporting statistics -- promptly -- in all team sports and Athletic.net for track results

- Modify the serpentine assignment method for Class A football districts for better distribution of teams

- Make the State Track Meet three days, run the four classes together and hold distance events in the morning

- Eliminate home-course advantage in state golf

- Move the state softball tournament up a day to avoid conflicting with Friday football (this is already proposed)

From Stu Pospisil's latest article......he notes that Saturday is the deadline for schools to submit proposals for changes in NSAA regulations. He has some suggestions:

- Increase the varsity ineligibility period from 90 days to 180 days for transfers after the May 1 deadline who are not covered by a change in domicile

- Require all schools to use MaxPreps for reporting statistics -- promptly -- in all team sports and Athletic.net for track results

- Modify the serpentine assignment method for Class A football districts for better distribution of teams

- Make the State Track Meet three days, run the four classes together and hold distance events in the morning

- Move the state softball tournament up a day to avoid conflicting with Friday football (this is already proposed)
That second one seems self-serving.

The second one is very self serving in my opinion. I also wonder if he realizes that 180 days would cover the entire school year? Kids that miss the May 1 deadline are already out for a semester.

again I can not imagine trying to do 250 schools schedules AND get everyone a full schedule and get everyone the game they want. come on that is not possible.
I agree it is tough, but I spoke with one coach a couple of weeks ago and he has not gotten a wish list game for quite some time and there are more than enough opportunities. I just think the NSAA could do a little better, but I understand it s a difficult task

I agree it is tough, but I spoke with one coach a couple of weeks ago and he has not gotten a wish list game for quite some time and there are more than enough opportunities. I just think the NSAA could do a little better, but I understand it s a difficult task
why dont they just expand district to 7 or 8 teams and give schedules back to schools to find the other two?

The NSAA can continue to make the districts if they want. They do that in every other sport. They should not have a hand in the non-district.
It amazing me how many people do not understand how the NSAA works The schools control it and the NSAA does what they vote on

Eliminate home course advantage in state golf? So where will they play?

People realize there are only a few courses in this state that can handle and get enough volunteers for state golf right? That is not an easy event to run. It needs to be in communities like Columbus, Kearney, Omaha, Lincoln, Norfolk etc. Lodging plays a factor in that too.

Some teams have an advantage so be it. You can't play Class B state golf in Broken Bow. Or Class D state golf in Pierce.

Here are the 4 sites the NSAA chose this year:
Columbus, Gering, Norfolk, North Platte

You can play Class A golf at Gering.

You can play Class B golf at Norfolk.

You can play Class C golf at North Platte.

You can play Class D golf at Columbus.

York (Class A, C, & D) & Kearney (Class B & D) would be nice hosts for state as well.

Now, each of those communities would have to put in a bid, but why not give it a shot? It's a big home-field advantage to golf on your home course.

Eliminate home course advantage in state golf? So where will they play?

People realize there are only a few courses in this state that can handle and get enough volunteers for state golf right? That is not an easy event to run. It needs to be in communities like Columbus, Kearney, Omaha, Lincoln, Norfolk etc. Lodging plays a factor in that too.

Some teams have an advantage so be it. You can't play Class B state golf in Broken Bow. Or Class D state golf in Pierce.
It’s actually not as hard as you would think. North Platte hosts class D, move Class D to Columbus and Class C to North Platte.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT