ADVERTISEMENT

How will the teaching shortage effect rural schools?

northeastNebraska

All-State
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2008
Highway 30
Looking at the Nebraska Dept of Education website, there are so many openings all throughout the state at all levels of K-12. It seems like there are not nearly as many kids majoring in education as the past. Here are some schools with quite a few openings...

Gordon-Rushville has 9 openings
Perkins County has 7 openings (a bunch of 1/2 time teacher 1/2 combo)
Lexington has 16 openings
Dundy County has 6 openings
Hyannis has 3 openings (that is a lot of Hyannis in the are they are located)
Shickley has 3 openings

What is also crazy is Hartington, Wausa, and Laurel-Concord-Coleridge all have Business Teacher openings. Those schools are all within 30 miles of each other.

What is going to be the realistic scenario to fill these gaps? Consolidations? Staff sharing? Making current teachers take on more?

Looking at the Nebraska Dept of Education website, there are so many openings all throughout the state at all levels of K-12. It seems like there are not nearly as many kids majoring in education as the past. Here are some schools with quite a few openings...

Gordon-Rushville has 9 openings
Perkins County has 7 openings (a bunch of 1/2 time teacher 1/2 combo)
Lexington has 16 openings
Dundy County has 6 openings
Hyannis has 3 openings (that is a lot of Hyannis in the are they are located)
Shickley has 3 openings

What is also crazy is Hartington, Wausa, and Laurel-Concord-Coleridge all have Business Teacher openings. Those schools are all within 30 miles of each other.

What is going to be the realistic scenario to fill these gaps? Consolidations? Staff sharing? Making current teachers take on more?
When you can get $20 or more an hour to work a job with no college, the answer is pay but I do not see them doing that, so I will say they will just decrease the requirements for someone to become a teacher and they still will be short teachers. The answer is pay increase Coming out of college with 40K to 60K in bills for a job that still only pays a starting salary of 36K is not going to work any more

A bill proposed in the legislature would give first-year Nebraska teachers up to $5,000 a year for five years to make up for low pay. The bill is one of the priorities of the Education Committee.

According to the Nebraska Department of Education, 14% of teacher positions across 143 school districts went unfilled during the 2021-22 school year. In addition, the number of districts that reported open positions increased from 53 to 143 from 2020-21 to 2021-22.

State Sen. Lou Ann Linehan of Elkhorn says one of the reasons for the shortage is the low pay most teachers earn early in their careers, which discourages many students from pursuing a teaching career. Many teachers don't earn higher pay until later in their careers.

With a lot of other careers working from home now, teaching as a career has lost its luster. Summers off, 2 weeks for Xmas plus spring break isn't enough to lure people into teaching anymore.

Add in low pay, fear of Covid (being around a lot of people), mental health issues in children, plus now hearing horror stories of the shortage of staff, it's going to be an uphill battle...

My wife has an english degree and a masters in public administration and in her late 40's she now dearly wishes she could teach. I don't really know the system but it seems dumb to me that she can't teach because she doesn't have a certificate or something. There ought to be a process to find willing and qualified people for who there could be an alternate qualification system. I mean this as no disrespect because I say it about my own career all the time (lawyer), but it ain't rocket science.

It isn't money. They could throw another $10 grand at it. Until education improves it's leadership, the drain will become a flood. That may be a little oversimplified, but basically, despite the enormous amount of problems in education, without a dramatic (and instant) improvement in the courage, vision, and competence of public school administrators, nothing else will matter much. This may ruffle feathers, cause some butt-hurt, and whatnot, but it's true.

I just don’t see how some of these schools can financially stay open if they can’t fill jobs. Parents will opt their kids out to a neighboring district who may have a better enrollment, better staffing and a better culture.

I got my degree from UNL in 2009 for the Industrial Tech Education program, but have never used it. At the time, I really wanted to coach so it all made sense. I ended up getting into IT. Over the years I've looked back at it and I don't know that I would have wanted to deal with several things. Obviously these don't apply to all parents or all students, but they would be headaches nonetheless...

1. Parents who always blame teachers instead of taking an honest look at their child's behavior. Face it, some kids are not good students. That was me in my youth without a doubt. Others are troublemakers, but plenty of parents still point fingers at the educators.

2. Lack of student discipline.

3. Lack of support from leaders. How can you enforce discipline if the leaders don't have your back?

Ultimately, I'm glad to make 3x the salary and not have to worry about those issues. And, I get to coach youth teams so it worked out in the end.

I got my degree from UNL in 2009 for the Industrial Tech Education program, but have never used it. At the time, I really wanted to coach so it all made sense. I ended up getting into IT. Over the years I've looked back at it and I don't know that I would have wanted to deal with several things. Obviously these don't apply to all parents or all students, but they would be headaches nonetheless...

1. Parents who always blame teachers instead of taking an honest look at their child's behavior. Face it, some kids are not good students. That was me in my youth without a doubt. Others are troublemakers, but plenty of parents still point fingers at the educators.

3. Lack of support from leaders. How can you enforce discipline if the leaders don't have your back?

Ultimately, I'm glad to make 3x the salary and not have to worry about those issues. And, I get to coach youth teams so it worked out in the end.
agree 100%

There are many people that do not understand that side of teaching. I hear all the time how "easy" it is, yet no one ever wants to try it because of... 1) pay and 2) deal with kids all day ...

Reactions: northeastNebraska
There are many people that do not understand that side of teaching. I hear all the time how "easy" it is, yet no one ever wants to try it because of... 1) pay and 2) deal with kids all day ...
Yep. Plenty of good kids out there, but I personally wouldn't want to deal with headaches that come along with the others. Not sure how long I could take the punches before telling people how it really is. lol

Yep. Plenty of good kids out there, but I personally wouldn't want to deal with headaches that come along with the others. Not sure how long I could take the punches before telling people how it really is. lol
Yep! Lots of good kids. A couple bad apples and chair thrown at you can make you think twice about it though. But I suppose that is any job!

Reactions: saluno22 and 3_peat
Yep! Lots of good kids. A couple bad apples and chair thrown at you can make you think twice about it though. But I suppose that is any job!
I'll say having worked in both education and engineering management, this is very true. Like the adage: 80% of your time is spent on the 20% causing the problems (and it really makes you appreciate the people who don't cause problems).

I would agree with a lot of these comments. I got my degree in Health/PE and History with a coaching endorsement. At that time a starting salary at a class D sized school was 22-28K. I actually enjoyed my student teaching and loved the coaching part of it. Being married at the end of my college years my wife had a good job already and we decided not to move for a job unless it was something we really liked. I did some part time subbing but never pursued it more than that. Since then I have been doing some ag related stuff as well as my full time job in communications. There are days when I kind of wish I was teaching full time but with my salary, benefits, and free time It would be hard to make that switch in my 40's. I love coaching and being around the kids. I feel I would dislike the constant interaction with overbearing and unreasonable parents, working under administration that constantly changes every several years, and even having to deal with the school board as it pertains to my full time income. Right now I basically answer to one guy. Ten years ago I probably would make the switch but to give up 30-50% of my salary just isn't an option now with a couple of kids. I would be really interested to see what the numbers of kids going into education is. This will definitely affect the way small schools get their teachers. I could see a lot more provisional licenses being issued to staff these schools. These have actually been helpful to our school as two of our really good teachers have taken advantage of this to change careers. IMO this has been a good change for smaller towns.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
I agree with so many of the above statements.
1) Leadership needs to be better at all levels
Starting with elimination of parental control
Allowing teachers to teach and have the support of administration and parents
2) consolidation of smaller schools. Allows for being fiscally responsible and promotes stronger competition both academically and extracurricularly.
3) pay more!! Make it a desirable career for our youth
4) learn from other states. Allow the state to make the tough decisions on consolidation
5) use technology for distance learning
6) lastly and once again parents….. please just be a parent!!!!!!

2) consolidation of smaller schools. Allows for being fiscally responsible and promotes stronger competition both academically and extracurricularly.
4) learn from other states. Allow the state to make the tough decisions on consolidation
Are you implying that parents should just 100% trust the school with their 4, 5, 6 and 7 8 year old children when it comes to sex education? That parents shouldn't question the school if their 6 year old is taught something the parent might be morally or religously opposed to?

Are you implying that parents should just 100% trust the school with their 4, 5, 6 and 7 8 year old children when it comes to sex education? That parents shouldn't question the school if their 6 year old is taught something the parent might be morally or religously opposed to?
I think he is more implying that when Little Johnny doesn't turn in a homework assignment and gets a zero, don't come into the the school ranting and raving that it isn't the kids fault. The stuff you are talking about needs to be dealt with at the school board level, which are open to anybody to attend and voice your opinion and vote. And I totally agree with you on being against that. I think all parents with half a brain are on board with you on that one.

Don't disagree with all of that, except your parental barring. Parents simply cannot trust public schools. They can't. At all. The bigger the district the less trust you should give. It goes back to the awful, tragic, pathetic level of school "administrators". Until you fix that, none of the rest matters.

I think he is more implying that when Little Johnny doesn't turn in a homework assignment and gets a zero, don't come into the the school ranting and raving that it isn't the kids fault. The stuff you are talking about needs to be dealt with at the school board level, which are open to anybody to attend and voice your opinion and vote. And I totally agree with you on being against that. I think all parents with half a brain are on board with you on that one.
With all due respect that is nonsense. Who honestly cares if someone rants, raves, and throws a fit? BFD. "No", is, a complete sentence. If you have good rules, procedures, policies, have the courage to follow them. Again, I'm going to point DIRECTLY at school leadership. Why would any teacher enforce rules, expectations, and civilized behavior when the cowardly administration will leave them hanging either because they are scared or are trying to protect their very (VERY) lucrative position?

With all due respect that is nonsense. Who honestly cares if someone rants, raves, and throws a fit? BFD. "No", is, a complete sentence. If you have good rules, procedures, policies, have the courage to follow them. Again, I'm going to point DIRECTLY at school leadership. Why would any teacher enforce rules, expectations, and civilized behavior when the cowardly administration will leave them hanging either because they are scared or are trying to protect their very (VERY) lucrative position?
Agreed

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
I tend to agree with you about leadership. Getting a masters in administration and eventually a doctorate to be a sup., doesn't automatically make you a better leader. You're seeing a lot more average/below average teachers who didn't want to be in a classroom anymore but wanted better pay and roughly the same schedule and lifestyle. So they got admin degrees. The same qualities that made them an average/below average teacher probably make them the same quality admin. With shortages everywhere, you're seeing poor teachers make poor administrators and they are filling up those spots fast. THEN you're seeing good teachers, who have no desire to be admin, get pushed out because of poor leadership. "Back in the day" it seemed like there was a lot of good mentoring/tutelage going on where you saw good administrators seek out good teachers who they thought could become great admins. "Have you thought about becoming an administrator?" Then they pushed them to get that degree. Now some admins act like they fear more admins because they'll get replaced, and see them as competition. Everyone from different parts of the state, small and big school districts, has horror stories of poor administration in action.

To your point, if admin steps up, leads by example, and acts like they tell people to act, then others will follow. And if you get fired or pushed out for it, the real truth will come out and you'll be put in a better situation for it.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
Totally agree with what you are saying about leadership and weak administrators. If you look the post I was referring to mentioned that as well. Parents, school boards, and administrators play into all of it. I personally have had teacher friends move on to other jobs in part because of a couple of parents. They were young teachers these parents knew they could buffalo... In a small town it's not just at school they get bitched at. Its at the gas station, sporting events, grocery store, bar/restaurant, etc. It's tough to get away from if you have a couple of horses asses in town.

Reactions: saluno22
Seems as if you have had a bad experience in the education world. I guess I have been lucky enough to work for a couple different administrators who were willing to have your back in front of parents no matter if I was in the wrong or not. But tell me why is it ok for parents to come in to rant and rave again? This is alright to be happening in all businesses in town? Maybe the parent should teach their children that there can be civil conversations about issues and there is a better way to handle a situation, rather than just ranting and raving. Usually in my experience, the parents that rant and rave are always looking to blame others/complain rather than taking accountability for their own actions. I would agree that is alright to come into the school and communicate about a problem, but there's a right way to do that. Just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT