ADVERTISEMENT

NSAA will be looking for new Executive Director

Alum-Ni

All-State
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004

NSAA Executive Director Jay Bellar to Retire
News Channel Nebraska

LINCOLN - After more than 40 years in education, Nebraska School Activities Association (NSAA) Executive Director, Jay Bellar, will be retiring in July 2023. Bellar became the 9th Executive Director in the Association's history when he joined the NSAA staff in 2018.

Prior to his time at the NSAA, Bellar was a high school teacher, coach, activities director and principal before becoming superintendent for Battle Creek Public Schools -- a position he held for 20 years. Bellar also served as a member of the NSAA Board of Directors for 11 years from 2007 to 2018.

"I am beyond grateful for my time as the Executive Director of the NSAA," Bellar said. "I will miss all the great people involved in high school activities and the fantastic work this association does. Making this decision now allows our board to be deliberate in identifying the next executive director."

"The Board of Directors is thankful for Jay's leadership and his service-minded approach toward NSAA member schools during his tenure," said NSAA Board of Directors Chairperson Bob Drews, Superintendent of Arapahoe Public Schools. "Jay will be missed and the NSAA Board wishes him noting but the best in a well-deserved retirement."

The NSAA Board of Directors will announce the timeline for hiring the next NSAA Executive Director in early October.

There was a comment in one of the stories about Bellar being the ninth executive director in NSAA history. I looked up the nine and think I have the years right. A 1928 start seems right because the NHSAA adopted its new constitution that year and it really the start of the modern organization that we know.

Walter Black 1928-1934
O.L. 'Lee' Webb 1934-1956
C.C. 'Tommy' Thompson 1956-1970
Les Chamberlain 1970-1976
Jim Riley 1976-2001
Jim Tenopir 2001-2010 and 2015-2018
Steve Shannahan 2010-2012
Rhonda Blanford-Green 2012-2015
Jay Bellar 2018-2023

Reactions: Alum-Ni
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT