ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion: who does the best all-state football teams?

my opinion
best: Bobby Mills
Worst: huskerland preps 😋
How are All-State teams and Honorable Mention determined by the OWH? Specifically for volleyball, though I'm assuming it's the same as football.

How are All-State teams and Honorable Mention determined by the OWH? Specifically for volleyball, though I'm assuming it's the same as football.
I don’t know, I was mostly just being facetious. I’m not sure anybody watches more high school football than Bobby mills, though. I do think he does a good job.

For the OWH, LJS, and HPR the Coaches get a ballot and complete it with players they choose. If a coach only lists his/her players the ballot doesn’t mean much. I’d a coach completed it with players from teams he/she saw it tends to hold more weight. Honorable mention is usually given to any player that receives more than 1 vote. Sometimes it is taken straight off the home school ballot.

independent writers (Bobby Mills) make their own all-state teams. Huskermat/NeNext would fall into that category.

Reactions: Ruttingbuck
Depends on what city the paper is from & how many papers they want to sell on the Sunday it comes out! LJS & OWH definitely favor players from their home areas IMO.
Heads are going to explode in Lincoln sunday when OWH all nebraska comes out.

For the OWH, LJS, and HPR the Coaches get a ballot and complete it with players they choose. If a coach only lists his/her players the ballot doesn’t mean much. I’d a coach completed it with players from teams he/she saw it tends to hold more weight. Honorable mention is usually given to any player that receives more than 1 vote. Sometimes it is taken straight off the home school ballot.

independent writers (Bobby Mills) make their own all-state teams. Huskermat/NeNext would fall into that category.
Bobby gets ballots from coaches as well that help make his selections. I tend to think Huskerland Bob and Bobby Mills are the best. These two guys spend their entire fall getting out and seeing games and talking to coaches, players, and fans. They have been at it long enough I am sure they get numerous messages each week telling them they need to check out certain kids. Its pretty obvious the Journal Star and World Herald don't put a lot of effort following anything but metro area football.

Bobby gets ballots from coaches as well that help make his selections. I tend to think Huskerland Bob and Bobby Mills are the best. These two guys spend their entire fall getting out and seeing games and talking to coaches, players, and fans. They have been at it long enough I am sure they get numerous messages each week telling them they need to check out certain kids. Its pretty obvious the Journal Star and World Herald don't put a lot of effort following anything but metro area football.
Bob and bobby by far

Reactions: huskerlandfan
The reason I asked earlier about volleyball, I noticed a girl that received Honorable Mention All-State. She did not even receive HM All Conference. From that same school two of her teammates received All Conferenece and two other teammates received HM All Conference but none of those four received any All State recognition. I'm puzzled how that girl received HM All State by the OWH.

Reactions: Ruttingbuck
The reason I asked earlier about volleyball, I noticed a girl that received Honorable Mention All-State. She did not even receive HM All Conference. From that same school two of her teammates received All Conferenece and two other teammates received HM All Conference but none of those four received any All State recognition. I'm puzzled how that girl received HM All State by the OWH.
I would assume the coach nominated this girl for HM. Odd they wouldn't nominate the other ones that received the all district awards though.

Reactions: nenebskers
Softball (I know this is asking about volleyball) is likely similar to volleyball. The coaches nominate their own Honorable Mention players, and the other honors are voted on by all coaches. If a player gets enough votes to move to 1st or 2nd team, then that player moves off of the Honorable Mention list.

So, simple answer is that Honorable Mention honors are really just that player's coach putting them on the list.

Reactions: Yossarian23
Softball (I know this is asking about volleyball) is likely similar to volleyball. The coaches nominate their own Honorable Mention players, and the other honors are voted on by all coaches. If a player gets enough votes to move to 1st or 2nd team, then that player moves off of the Honorable Mention list.

So, simple answer is that Honorable Mention honors are really just that player's coach putting them on the list.
correct

Reactions: ClkTwr2011

To my knowledge, Football, at least for the big publications, works similarly.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011

How many players does a coach list? If a coach lists them are they automatically HM? Assuming not all coaches submit forms?

Always interesting to me when I see the HM kids. Some schools will have 3 or 4 kids on HM with a mediocre team. Assuming that just means their coach played homer and listed a bunch of their own kids?

How many players does a coach list? If a coach lists them are they automatically HM? Assuming not all coaches submit forms?

Always interesting to me when I see the HM kids. Some schools will have 3 or 4 kids on HM with a mediocre team. Assuming that just means their coach played homer and listed a bunch of their own kids?
I really don't know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT