ADVERTISEMENT

Osmond-Randolph Co-op Update

GrizzzlyPanda

Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2021
Per the Osmond Community Schools Facebook Page:
"The Board of Education from both the Osmond and Randolph Public Schools met for their April board meetings on the evening of April 11. Both boards voted on a co-op involving junior high: football, girls basketball, and boys basketball as well as varsity girls and boys basketball for two years. The Osmond board of education and the Randolph board of education both approved the co-op."

"The administration of both schools will now begin the process of assigning activity sponsors to these activities while the athletic directors of both schools will begin building practice and game schedules. The student councils of both schools will meet in the near future to discuss options for mascot and uniform colors which will be voted on by both student bodies."

Reactions: nenebskers
This is great! We need more of this happening across our state. I really hope it continues after two years. Two small schools 12 miles from each other should be together.

Let's hope that catches on!

Can someone elaborate on why the coop is just in basketball at varsity level
I know participation numbers in basketball have been low for both schools. I also truly think that the pulse of the communities involved believe this is going to actually be a two year deal and then they will be back to how it was pre co-op. I know Randolph has large numbers in their elementary and middle school and they saw this as just a temporary mend for the time being.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
I know participation numbers in basketball have been low for both schools. I also truly think that the pulse of the communities involved believe this is going to actually be a two year deal and then they will be back to how it was pre co-op. I know Randolph has large numbers in their elementary and middle school and they saw this as just a temporary mend for the time being.
Can you define "large?" for Randolph? Just curious. Does that mean 35 per class in elementary? Or 25 per class? Or less?

large for Randolph we are talking
K- 21
1st- 24
2nd- 22
3rd- 22
4th- 12
5th- 20
6th- 21
In comparison to current numbers in the high school being
9th-15
10th- 22
11th- 14
12th- 13
So definitely trending to larger class sizes for Randolph as the younger kids move up they will be able to have their own team again (although I agree they shouldn't) Osmond on the other hand is definitely going to have to figure something out if this "temporary co-op" doesn't last, as you can see by the numbers below.

Osmond
K-13
1st-8
2nd-12
3rd-15
4th-9
5th-9
6th-7
9th-13
10th-19
11th-17
12th-19

Reactions: northeastNebraska
K- 21
1st- 24
2nd- 22
3rd- 22
4th- 12
5th- 20
6th- 21
9th-15
10th- 22
11th- 14
12th- 13
So definitely trending to larger class sizes for Randolph as the younger kids move up they will be able to have their own team again (although I agree they shouldn't) Osmond on the other hand is definitely going to have to figure something out if this "temporary co-op" doesn't last, as you can see by the numbers below.

Osmond
K-13
1st-8
2nd-12
3rd-15
4th-9
5th-9
6th-7
9th-13
10th-19
11th-17
12th-19
Interesting thank you for the breakdown. Could you see the majority of Randolph stakeholders wanting the co-op to continue after 2 years? Looks like most their classes would be between 28-36. That is pretty good size. Heck that was probably normal for both schools in the mid 90's.

Osmond lately seems open to co-oping with someone (wasn't there talks of them co-oping with Wausa in JH sports recently?). I remember during the 5 school merger talks in 2013-2014 between Osmond, Plainview, Bloomfield, Wausa and Creighton they were never "negative" about the discussions.

I'm not super familiar with either community, are/were they rivals? Is there bad blood? I know they've played each other forever. But Randolph doesn't have another travel partner, unless LCC wanted to do something down the road.

Interesting thank you for the breakdown. Could you see the majority of Randolph stakeholders wanting the co-op to continue after 2 years? Looks like most their classes would be between 28-36. That is pretty good size. Heck that was probably normal for both schools in the mid 90's.

Osmond lately seems open to co-oping with someone (wasn't there talks of them co-oping with Wausa in JH sports recently?). I remember during the 5 school merger talks in 2013-2014 between Osmond, Plainview, Bloomfield, Wausa and Creighton they were never "negative" about the discussions.

I'm not super familiar with either community, are/were they rivals? Is there bad blood? I know they've played each other forever. But Randolph doesn't have another travel partner, unless LCC wanted to do something down the road.
I think a lot of stake holders in Randolph don't want to see it past two years. They definitely see it as a part time fix. Now that being said, if it leads to any sort of success that is going to change some opinions you would think. Osmond and Randolph are rivals and have been for quite a long time from what I understand. I don't know that I would say there is any bad blood, but the people that are against the co-op are older members of each community. If it doesn't continue after two years, I could definitely see Osmond and Wasau moving forward with something.

K- 21
1st- 24
2nd- 22
3rd- 22
4th- 12
5th- 20
6th- 21
9th-15
10th- 22
11th- 14
12th- 13

Osmond
K-13
1st-8
2nd-12
3rd-15
4th-9
5th-9
6th-7
9th-13
10th-19
11th-17
12th-19
Doesn't Osmond have an elementary parochial school in town?

I don't think those elementary numbers at Randolph exactly scream large.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT