ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Pender girls set state record

Games like this are why I am so opposed to the Shot Clock. At least in this scenario, the winning team COULD have just stalled it out. With a shot clock, that option goes away...unless there is something in the rules that turns off the shot clock when there is a certain point lead or something.

At what point does someone decide to just step out and guard #3? It isn't as if she was firing up a pile of contested shots. Nobody was guarding her. Imagine if a team did that against Tominaga.

I can't imagine coaching a team that beat someone by 70 points. After watching the video, I am speechless.
There is one thing that a coach CAN control……. WHO is in the game….. Let your subs and JV get in there and “pad” their stats!

There is one thing that a coach CAN control……. WHO is in the game….. Let your subs and JV get in there and “pad” their stats!
I agree with that.

However, #3 wasn't the only one shooting 3's. I am not defending anyone here, just stating an observation. With a shot clock in play, subs in the game, the outcome would have been similar. Again, not excusing how this went down.

I appreciate aksarben77 for putting this video on here because it further proves how wrong it was for Pender to do what they did. Anyone who thinks otherwise, isn't much of a sports person or care about sportsmanship. They are deliberately trying to break a record against an inferior opponent. I get playing your starters for 3 minutes in the 3rd quarter but there is ZERO reason to bring them back in the game at all!

Games like this are why I am so opposed to the Shot Clock. At least in this scenario, the winning team COULD have just stalled it out. With a shot clock, that option goes away...unless there is something in the rules that turns off the shot clock when there is a certain point lead or something.

At what point does someone decide to just step out and guard #3? It isn't as if she was firing up a pile of contested shots. Nobody was guarding her. Imagine if a team did that against Tominaga.

I can't imagine coaching a team that beat someone by 70 points. After watching the video, I am speechless.I

Good News- the shot clock is turned off when the score hits 40 points and the running clock hits.

I appreciate aksarben77 for putting this video on here because it further proves how wrong it was for Pender to do what they did. Anyone who thinks otherwise, isn't much of a sports person or care about sportsmanship. They are deliberately trying to break a record against an inferior opponent. I get playing your starters for 3 minutes in the 3rd quarter but there is ZERO reason to bring them back in the game at all!
Agree, all it takes is one nepotistic coach like this, to give other coaches working their tails off a bad rap in areas…. Coaches in our area have already been indirectly called out, having done even nothing remotely close to what we saw a couple days ago.

I agree with that.

However, #3 wasn't the only one shooting 3's. I am not defending anyone here, just stating an observation. With a shot clock in play, subs in the game, the outcome would have been similar. Again, not excusing how this went down.
But at least others would’ve gotten well earned playing time, and some stats they don’t normally see.

I watched the game on youtube after this link got posted. I have a few observations and a few questions.

1. Clearly trying to break the record that is undeniable.
2. Left starters in way too long, give the JV's the 4th qtr.
3. Pender played about 5 different defenses. (Working on things for State?)
4.. Why does the losing team sit in a 2-3 zone defense the entire game against a 3 point shooting team? Why not try some man (would make them better over time). Score probably would end up just as bad but they wouldn't just get to cast up unguarded 3's all night.
5. They'll beat McCool!

No problem! Yep- once he pulled starters in the third quarter, that should have been it.

I watched the game on youtube after this link got posted. I have a few observations and a few questions.

1. Clearly trying to break the record that is undeniable.
2. Left starters in way too long, give the JV's the 4th qtr.
3. Pender played about 5 different defenses. (Working on things for State?)
4.. Why does the losing team sit in a 2-3 zone defense the entire game against a 3 point shooting team? Why not try some man (would make them better over time). Score probably would end up just as bad but they wouldn't just get to cast up unguarded 3's all night.
5. They'll beat McCool!
#4 was my immediate reaction when I watched the video! I know this isn't the point but COME ON!!! Even a Box in 1.

But at least others would’ve gotten well earned playing time, and some stats they don’t normally see.
Oh, I don't disagree at all.

I don't want to end up on the wrong side of this thread so I am going to say it again, I am not excusing how this game went. I just really would have liked to see the losing team try to help themselves just a little bit!

Reactions: JAW20
Also, what message does it send to the younger kids in your program? Come to practice and work your tails off for the girls that get to play all the time, while in return you get rewarded nothing when the time comes. But I can already see this coach "resigning" when his daughters are done, so it won't matter to him when he's done.

Honestly through 3 quarters it wasn't terrible. Pender shot the lights out of the ball, what other girls team shoots it at the percentage that they had to have shot that game?

Where I find this to be a horrible display was running the SET PLAY coming out in the 4th quarter to get #3 a look at another 3 point shot.

Still I will die on the hill that the other team can not just sit in a 2-3 zone for 4 quarters and expect the other team to not shoot 3's on them, no coach would tell them to stop shooting shots within their offense.

The 4th quarter is not their offense it's just kids jacking up 3's chasing a record and that part is on the coach.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
As a team they shot 41 three point attempts while having a running clock since half way through the 2nd quarter.

Watch the last possession. Not to often do you see a team rushing down court up 72 with under 12 seconds on the clock so they can jack up another 3 ball.

I can't imagine coaching a team that beat someone by 70 points. After watching the video, I am speechless.
Edited as other post didn’t show up when I first posted this…FYI the shot clock will shut off when up 40 in the second half, and the current running clock rules stays in affect.

And as you said….someone could attempt to guard her…

Last edited:
Most people would say "no offense" before what I'm about to say, but personally I could care less if you're offended, but that is one of the most ludicrous, ridiculous, and innacurate posts that I've ever seen. "All" his kids? BS. Is that why it's HIS daughter allowed to embarrass other girls to set a record? Launching 23...TWENTY-FREAKING-THREE 3 pts shots in a game they win 97-23? Good Gawd. You just need to own what Pender is. Stop trying to defend the indefensible. It's too bad that clown doesn't get what he actually deserves. He's a disgusting creature, and anyone associated with Pender ought to be ashamed. The fact that they aren't speaks volumes.
I’ll also add not only was this against a 4-18 team, while up 60, they did it against a team that the day prior had a 4th grader in the school pass away. I’m sure the girls were already feeling bad enough and then this. Disgusting.

I believe once a running clock situation begins, the shot clock is turned off

In situations of similar degree (blowout games), coaches play their starters for the third quarter and sit them the entire fourth. That's what I would have done. Looks like he played them half the third and 3.5 minutes of the fourth.
Doesn't sit well with a lot of people- but I'm not sure it warrants defamation in the form of "clown" , "disgusting creature" and so on.
That was more so the point I was getting across. These message boards along with other forums get out of hand with extreme opinions based on little details.
No...When the game is as lopsided as this one, MOST coaches will play their starters sparingly in the 3rd, and not at all in the 4th. With 14 kids suited, absolutely zero reason. If you have any brains at all, and aren't frantically and desperately trying to set records for YOUR kid (which to me makes it even more sickening) why in the hell would you risk a crazy, fluke injury to a key player? There is only one reason. One. So, please keep this in mind...when every single person in this state that cares about girls basketball, or even a decent society, is cheering for your girls to lose it isn't because you're good. It won't be jealousy. So enjoy your state title. You still have to live with yourselves. Hell, just knowing that a scumbag like this is your educational "leader" should make you sick to your stomach...

Blaming the awful team for not being better, not being better coached, etc., is pretty much akin to blaming a baby seal for not attacking the Eskimos coming to club them...

Reactions: trackman77
A team down the road was up 35 after the 1st quarter. The starters didn't play the rest of the game.
I've talked to people in two different towns who told me that when they played a newly arrived 8 man football team in west central nebraska that this team while pushing out to a 50-60 point halftime lead, seemed to have played all suited kids in the first half and didn't play their top 8 at ALL after halftime. I'm guessing they wouldn't have made that up. It's isn't hard or rocket science to be decent...unless, it seems, you're from Pender.

That’s a terrible take. Don’t want a shot clock because you want varsity players to stall out a game? That’s what running clock and JV players are for.

Watching the film it is completely uncalled for. No problem letting a girl go for a record she’s close to in the third quarter from having a miraculous first half, but also playing the third quarter with a bunch of scrubs on the floor. But playing that deep into the fourth with that score and multiple starters on the floor is not acceptable.

I just don’t get how do you do this to a team in your own confrence. From what I understand it had already been a hard week at Lyons Decatur and then just make it even worst Give LD credit they continued to fight until the end. Remember their head coach is their Superintendent. What does that say about the person leading your school ? What is he teaching his players and the ones that sat on the bench when your up 60 and they could be getting some varsity experience but the record was more important then developing your program.

Again like others in this thread, and as I’ve said, I don’t like this

With that said…. Stop with the opportunity to get other kids time’. That opportunity has been there throughout the year, and will be there in the future too. The player that broke the individual record is a sophomore from what I found. Judging by the photo, it’s believed there is one senior…and watching the film, I don’t believe she’s on the floor at all. We know from other threads she’s a good players, so she much have missed the game for some reason.

We don’t have to like it or condone it, but varsity sports isn’t an everyone gets to play or everyone gets a trophy. The coach made his decision he will live with it. Maybe looking back he regrets it. Maybe not.

People calling someone a horrible person for a game. And someone they admit they don’t know. Seems like we have a lot of angry people who want something for everyone…but know nothing of the day to day situation.

Last edited:
Again like others in this thread, and as I’ve said, I don’t like this

With that said…. Stop with the opportunity to get other kids time’. That opportunity has been there throughout the year, and will be there in the future too. The player that broke the individual record is a sophomore from what I found. Judging by the photo, it’s believed there is one senior…and watching the film, I don’t believe she’s on the floor at all.

We don’t have to like it or condone it, but varsity sports isn’t an everyone gets to play or everyone gets a trophy. The coach made his decision he will live with it. Maybe looking back he regrets it. Maybe not.

People calling someone a horrible person for a game. And someone they admit they don’t know. Seems like we have a lot of angry people who want something for everyone…but know nothing of the day to day situation.
I don’t understand this post. First, you dislike what happened but then stick up for Pender and what they did. You can’t have it both ways - you either agree or disagree.

I don’t understand this post. First, you dislike what happened but then stick up for Pender and what they did. You can’t have it both ways - you either agree or disagree.
No I don’t have to agree with the record and going after it by casting in the 4th quarter. At the same time the 6-7 girls that play varsity could have stayed until the coach deemed fit making 20-30 passes before attemptikn a shot or find a way to take layups or shots in the paint.

It doesn’t have to be empty the bench. Maybe some of those girls on the bench will never play significant varsity minutes and know that. Maybe they have varsity jerseys because everyone that’s out and I injured does. I don’t know…I am not in the situation day to day.

People telling others how they should do things with their program annoys me. People thinking everything is fair and life is fair annoys me. I can believe they shouldn’t have gone after the record the way they did but also believe kids that may not be ready to play varsity minutes don’t get time they may not normally get, possibly giving them false impressions of their future laying time.

No I don’t have to agree with the record and going after it by casting in the 4th quarter. At the same time the 6-7 girls that play varsity could have stayed until the coach deemed fit making 20-30 passes before attemptikn a shot or find a way to take layups or shots in the paint.

It doesn’t have to be empty the bench. Maybe some of those girls on the bench will never play significant varsity minutes and know that. Maybe they have varsity jerseys because everyone that’s out and I injured does. I don’t know…I am not in the situation day to day.

People telling others how they should do things with their program annoys me. People thinking everything is fair and life is fair annoys me. I can believe they shouldn’t have gone after the record the way they did but also believe kids that may not be ready to play varsity minutes don’t get time they may not normally get, possibly giving them false impressions of their future laying time.
So, when a team is up by 60 points and play their bench players, it’s giving those players false impressions of playing time?! Are you serious?! Anyone can do what they want with their program but ones that do what Pender did that night - will and should get ridiculed for it!

That's simply false. There are times, situations, opponents where it HAS to be "empty the bench". You see those videos in football where a special needs kid gets a great memory? And giving up those yards and points ADDS to the glory of the defending team? That wouldn't fly with Pender! Your "educational leader" would make sure his kid was playing Mike and get a "big time highlight" out of it. Then they could brag at family gatherings how "Junior put this kid in the hospital..." Perfectly ok to light up the down syndrome kid, right? To you Pender folks it is, right? After all we wouldn't want to...annoy...you by pretending everything is fair and life is fair. If the kid had better parents he'd stick to Special Olympics, right? At least you've hired a classy winner! Not like the 95+% of schools misleading the kids #'d 10-14 by playing them in garbage time against a helpless, inferior opponent. You, your school, your entire community disrespect the game, sportsmanship, your opponent, and worse, because you know it, but won't admit it, yourselves. I don't know what's worse; That the clan of your "educational leader" has reached these positions of influence, or that ya'all are so desperate to win at something, anything, that you trade your honor to hire a slimy dude who brings in some good players. Honestly...seems like a coin flip. And feel free to invite him to get an account and PM me. I'd be THRILLED to give him my contact info and debate it with him. When you watch sports movies and see the bad sterotype of scuzzy coaches, do you see yourselves? You ought to.

Reactions: Hardwoodbeaver

You are right, coaches CAN run their program how they want…… but they can also be judged for making idiotic decisions as well….. this is exactly what that was!

There are unwritten rules in competition and sports, and everyone that plays/coaches at a high level understands them, though not everyone follows them, and hopefully karma gets sooner than later.

I think it’s already been stated ITT, but the bench players have probably spent all season getting their butts whipped in practice playing against the starters….. they’ve earned a chance to play in a damn game up 40-50 points, let alone 60-70

It just shows how arrogant the coach is having his team shooting 3 pointers at end of the game trying to reach 100 points you gotta be kidding me. It is crazy how he acts on the bench and yells constantly at the refs but the officials just put up with it because of the coaches last name. If other coaches act like they get a technical.

That’s a terrible take. Don’t want a shot clock because you want varsity players to stall out a game? That’s what running clock and JV players are for.
Come on, read my post again. And think about how a shot clock effects this game.

I clearly stated that I didn't know if the shot clock was turned off at a certain point differential. I see now that it is.

It’s ok, we get it. You are friends with the “Richard.” Just tell him to stop being a Richard.

It was classless. It comes off as premeditated and game planned

Do you think they try to beat Sandy Creek by 60 and go for some other record? Does Mr Irrelevant make an appearance in Pender?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT