ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Pender girls set state record

Impressive feat to make that many, not taking anything away from that.
But up 60 at the start of the 4th 1/4, starters in. Finally pulled them with about 4:00 left. Stay classy coach!
Have to agree with this statement. It seems to be very impressive but to do it this way, makes it less impressive for me! My only hope is that karma gets them in the end.

why is one girl wearing white and the others wearing red, did she forget her uniform?

Yikes! I'm guessing they had alot of their bench players that didn't get a ton of chances throughout the year in there hitting a bunch of those threes.....

Heard from a reliable source that his daughter and starters stayed in the game to get the individual record - get the rebound and kick out to her until she got it. How do you as the coach know what the record is? I am a coach and I have no idea what the state records are for the sports I coach. To be honest - I don't care. I'm all for records being broken but in the right way. Like someone else said - stay classy!

Heard from a reliable source that his daughter and starters stayed in the game to get the individual record - get the rebound and kick out to her until she got it. How do you as the coach know what the record is? I am a coach and I have no idea what the state records are for the sports I coach. To be honest - I don't care. I'm all for records being broken but in the right way. Like someone else said - stay classy!
Absolutely a classless act by the coach. Horrible act of sportsmanship especially considering he is not only the head coach but the Superintendent!!!

Absolutely a classless act by the coach. Horrible act of sportsmanship especially considering he is not only the head coach but the Superintendent!!!
His kid jacking up 3's until a minute left in the game and multiple 3's on several possessions in the 4th quarter. Absolutely classless by the coach and superintendent. He wants recognition for his kids and nothing wrong with that, however not against obviously inferior competition, what does this prove. Our team played Lyons Decatur this year and we benched starters for 4th quarter and had different kids in and out of lineup in the first half and won by 30. No need to humiliate the opponent. No one will be cheering for Pender as they move on this year, tough on the kids, as they just do what the coach says and don't want to be yelled at or treated poorly.

That is obviously a team photo from earlier in the year, not last night, the one senior is wearing a different color.
Yes, that is what I was referring too. Sorry, I should have specified. At the beginning of the season when they take team pics, sometimes teams have their seniors wear a different colored jersey. I've seen that done numerous times.

Reactions: Big Red Thoughts
His kid jacking up 3's until a minute left in the game and multiple 3's on several possessions in the 4th quarter. Absolutely classless by the coach and superintendent. He wants recognition for his kids and nothing wrong with that, however not against obviously inferior competition, what does this prove. Our team played Lyons Decatur this year and we benched starters for 4th quarter and had different kids in and out of lineup in the first half and won by 30. No need to humiliate the opponent. No one will be cheering for Pender as they move on this year, tough on the kids, as they just do what the coach says and don't want to be yelled at or treated poorly.
I disagree with your 3rd sentence…… from what I’ve heard about him, I’m guessing he wants recognition for HIM…… I’ve only seen him coach a couple times, and never heard of him before he got to Pender, but the way he coaches(whistling, yelling, etc) seems like he wants to be the center of attention.

I disagree with your 3rd sentence…… from what I’ve heard about him, I’m guessing he wants recognition for HIM…… I’ve only seen him coach a couple times, and never heard of him before he got to Pender, but the way he coaches(whistling, yelling, etc) seems like he wants to be the center of attention.
Yes, he believes he is a great coach and he wants people talking about him. His kids are very talented but his antics often cause a distraction. many teams could set records if they disrespect the opponent. Win the game, let everyone play and stop being selfish and attention seeking. Everyone will remember the stain on records when they are gone about the wrong way.

Yes, he believes he is a great coach and he wants people talking about him. His kids are very talented but his antics often cause a distraction. many teams could set records if they disrespect the opponent. Win the game, let everyone play and stop being selfish and attention seeking. Everyone will remember the stain on records when they are gone about the wrong way.
Exactly

Reactions: mgbreis
The tweet by Dad/Coach is hilariously cringe. Not going to name names, but there is another coach and program a few miles down the highway that had a tremendous run of success recently and a ridiculously talented player that never went out of their way to embarrass an opponent. It's a choice.

I in now way want this tied to the record that was set and how they did it. That's another debate taking place in this chain. However, I'd be curious to know how you say that his antics causes a distraction? I don't know the guy at all but have friends that do. They tell me he won a championship as a player, and did it at the FT line to win the game, so he's had his time to shine. I would say from the looks of it he wants to get attention for all his kids. From watching interviews after their state championship last year the kids all seemed to love the system. He's tweeted about many kids on his team.

Me personally, I'd rather see a coach tweet under their name than similar to a coach down the road that tweets under a pseudonym account, lumping the entire school district into his/her beliefs on things they tweet about.

And as another responder said, there have been kids down the road that have been extremely successful in the last 10-12 years. Each school and coach does things there way. It's part of what makes things great, part of what draws attention to sportsmanship, and things of that nature, and maybe something to do with a conference that has been extremely competitive in the past. Right or wrong, it doesn't seem there is any love lost among any of the schools in the East Husker.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
I in now way want this tied to the record that was set and how they did it. That's another debate taking place in this chain. However, I'd be curious to know how you say that his antics causes a distraction? I don't know the guy at all but have friends that do. They tell me he won a championship as a player, and did it at the FT line to win the game, so he's had his time to shine. I would say from the looks of it he wants to get attention for all his kids. From watching interviews after their state championship last year the kids all seemed to love the system. He's tweeted about many kids on his team.

Me personally, I'd rather see a coach tweet under their name than similar to a coach down the road that tweets under a pseudonym account, lumping the entire school district into his/her beliefs on things they tweet about.

And as another responder said, there have been kids down the road that have been extremely successful in the last 10-12 years. Each school and coach does things there way. It's part of what makes things great, part of what draws attention to sportsmanship, and things of that nature, and maybe something to do with a conference that has been extremely competitive in the past. Right or wrong, it doesn't seem there is any love lost among any of the schools in the East Husker.
What is the school down the road? why doesn't anyone name it? Not sure what this refers to or what it has to do with last night and embarrassing an opponent to get a record?

What is the school down the road? why doesn't anyone name it? Not sure what this refers to or what it has to do with last night and embarrassing an opponent to get a record?
Well Oakland-Craig and West Point-Beemer are in the conference and have had great individual players the last 10-15 years. Same goes with the BRLD coop on the boys side. I'd let anyone take their picks. I don't now many of those people, but I am friends with people who know some of them well, and I only know some of the things I've heard around tables with drinks.

Well Oakland-Craig and West Point-Beemer are in the conference and have had great individual players the last 10-15 years. Same goes with the BRLD coop on the boys side. I'd let anyone take their picks. I don't now many of those people, but I am friends with people who know some of them well, and I only know some of the things I've heard around tables with drinks.
Please provide instances of when those teams won a game by 70+ and their coaches left a son/daughter in the game well into the 4th qtr to break records…..

I love sports and love seeing kids break records, especially when competing. This isn’t competing at that point. Was at the state tournament when Cale Jacobson(sp?) scored 40+ in the semis to send his team to the finals, now THAT was special!

Please provide instances of when those teams won a game by 70+ and their coaches left a son/daughter in the game well into the 4th qtr to break records…..

I love sports and love seeing kids break records, especially when competing. This isn’t competing at that point. Was at the state tournament when Cale Jacobson(sp?) scored 40+ in the semis to send his team to the finals, now THAT was special!
Sorry for the confusion. You misunderstood my post. The area has had several great players in recent history. Don’t know that any haven’t done things the right way. And Jacobson game was a masterpiece!!

Reactions: JAW20

Most people would say "no offense" before what I'm about to say, but personally I could care less if you're offended, but that is one of the most ludicrous, ridiculous, and innacurate posts that I've ever seen. "All" his kids? BS. Is that why it's HIS daughter allowed to embarrass other girls to set a record? Launching 23...TWENTY-FREAKING-THREE 3 pts shots in a game they win 97-23? Good Gawd. You just need to own what Pender is. Stop trying to defend the indefensible. It's too bad that clown doesn't get what he actually deserves. He's a disgusting creature, and anyone associated with Pender ought to be ashamed. The fact that they aren't speaks volumes.

Most people would say "no offense" before what I'm about to say, but personally I could care less if you're offended, but that is one of the most ludicrous, ridiculous, and innacurate posts that I've ever seen. "All" his kids? BS. Is that why it's HIS daughter allowed to embarrass other girls to set a record? Launching 23...TWENTY-FREAKING-THREE 3 pts shots in a game they win 97-23? Good Gawd. You just need to own what Pender is. Stop trying to defend the indefensible. It's too bad that clown doesn't get what he actually deserves. He's a disgusting creature, and anyone associated with Pender ought to be ashamed. The fact that they aren't speaks volumes.
I agree. It’s ridiculous and unacceptable. Who would want the record that way? I would pull my kids out of that game.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClkTwr2011

I found the link to the game- as I was curious how bad it really was.
You can speed up the game with 2x playback and skip timeouts/halftime.
I think we have an overreaction on our hands from a few in this thread. Just my opinion. Watch for yourself.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs

I think we have an overreaction on our hands from a few in this thread. Just my opinion. Watch for yourself.
So what's the reason for playing your starters up 60 in the 4th? Just curious on your opinion.

So what's the reason for playing your starters up 60 in the 4th? Just curious on your opinion.
In situations of similar degree (blowout games), coaches play their starters for the third quarter and sit them the entire fourth. That's what I would have done. Looks like he played them half the third and 3.5 minutes of the fourth.
Doesn't sit well with a lot of people- but I'm not sure it warrants defamation in the form of "clown" , "disgusting creature" and so on.
That was more so the point I was getting across. These message boards along with other forums get out of hand with extreme opinions based on little details.

In situations of similar degree (blowout games), coaches play their starters for the third quarter and sit them the entire fourth. That's what I would have done. Looks like he played them half the third and 3.5 minutes of the fourth.
Doesn't sit well with a lot of people- but I'm not sure it warrants defamation in the form of "clown" , "disgusting creature" and so on.
That was more so the point I was getting across. These message boards along with other forums get out of hand with extreme opinions based on little details.
You're 1st sentence sums it up. Thanks for clarifying.

Reactions: aksarben77

Games like this are why I am so opposed to the Shot Clock. At least in this scenario, the winning team COULD have just stalled it out. With a shot clock, that option goes away...unless there is something in the rules that turns off the shot clock when there is a certain point lead or something.

At what point does someone decide to just step out and guard #3? It isn't as if she was firing up a pile of contested shots. Nobody was guarding her. Imagine if a team did that against Tominaga.

I can't imagine coaching a team that beat someone by 70 points. After watching the video, I am speechless.

Reactions: Mr. Irrelevent
After skimming through the video, I 100% agree that it reflects very poorly on Pender. Up 60 with a running clock and they have full focus on having their starters and mostly the coaches daughter shooting 3's.

I'm not a big fan of better teams having to change their style of play for poorer teams. For example not pushing tempo or changing their defensive philosophy but that was pretty damn embarrassing as they clearly changed their style of play, not to help the poorer team but to make it even worse.

Reactions: Hardwoodbeaver
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT