ADVERTISEMENT

Possible conference shakeup?

If GACC reamins in the Mid-State, and I don't see any reason why not, I've always thought Lutheran High Northeast would make a good 10th team in the Mid-State, beings that they are independent now.
I wonder if they have approached the Mid-State? Or are they content with their independence?

Because most of the EHC schools don’t want them because they got their butts handed to them in the 2000’s and they are still bitter.

I bet if their were a vote, 5-6 would vote for them. But classification wise and geography wise, they fit great.
If they dont like the conference they are in I bet they can get in the Centennial Conference

If they dont like the conference they are in I bet they can get in the Centennial Conference
I think they like the Mid-State, I just feel like from an enrollment/geographical standpoint they fit in better with the EHC compared to the Mid-State. West Point-Beemer does not fit in to the East Husker anymore when it comes to enrollment.

The Centennial isn't looking to add schools right now. That conference is tough enough as it is.

Gretna East will be in the Metro Conference when it opens in the fall of 2023. The school district had considered placing Gretna East in the Eastern Midlands Conference but changed course and Gretna East will join Gretna in the Metro as the league's 22nd school. Both schools are likely to be Class B next year but are in a high growth area.

The Eastern Midlands will expand, however, to nine schools. Lincoln Standing Bear will join when it opens next fall and Hastings will also join, becoming the league's westernmost member.

===============================

There are also some proposals to change the cutoffs in Classes A and B at the January legislative meetings. The proposals would raise the cutoffs from 425 boys to 500 for football and from 850 students to 1,000 students in all other activities for Class A.

Another proposal will be to expand the use of the shot clock to Class B in basketball and to raise the enrollment limit for 8-man football playoff eligibility from 47 boys to 55.
This might be a good thread/topic in itself, but do Gretna East and Standing Bear have AD's/coaches getting lined up yet?

Thanks Alum.

Has anyone heard if Exeter-Milligan and Friend will be co-oping all sports and joining Mudecas/Pioneers?
I know there was discussion of it between the schools, even for combining the schools completely as well. I have family that go to both so I should be able to find out a little bit more when we get together for Christmas.

I know there was discussion of it between the schools, even for combining the schools completely as well. I have family that go to both so I should be able to find out a little bit more when we get together for Christmas.
From what I heard they will be coop all sports at all levels next year and have joined the pioneer conference

Just a few insights............

EHC won't vote in a parochial school. When Humphrey joined, and then co-oped with LHF, there was even some contention about letting that go. Eventually it did, but in anything where LHF is on their own, they are not a member of the EHC (One-Act, Music, Speech, etc....).

Lutheran High Northeast will not get voted into the Mid-State. I know too much, but let's just say there are some serious relationship issues between the two sides.

Reactions: Llama57
Just a few insights............

EHC won't vote in a parochial school. When Humphrey joined, and then co-oped with LHF, there was even some contention about letting that go. Eventually it did, but in anything where LHF is on their own, they are not a member of the EHC (One-Act, Music, Speech, etc....).

Lutheran High Northeast will not get voted into the Mid-State. I know too much, but let's just say there are some serious relationship issues between the two sides.
Which is silly by the East Husker Conference, but that won't change.

Humphrey-LHF and Twin River should be in the GoldenRod Conference.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
Thanks Alum.

Has anyone heard if Exeter-Milligan and Friend will be co-oping all sports and joining Mudecas/Pioneers?
Yes they will be cooping all sports for next year (2023-24) the. Crossroads voted against allowing them into the conference. Basically they voted out one of the founding member of the conference (exeter-Milligan) Friend left the CRC in mid 2000’s. They have tried to get back in a couple times but keep getting voted out. This last vote the conference apparently let the team leaving the conference vote and a handful of teams that were not even in the conference when friend was in it in the 90’s voted against allowing EMF into conference.

That’s a smart idea. Wait a year. Don’t make the same mistakes Lincoln northwest made this year.
Agreed. In fact, I'd argue two years. Year 1 Frosh and Reserves, Year 2 Add JV, then roll out a fully developed, culture instilled program. Watching these new schools, when they played, and the bloodbaths that entailed shows the dangers of stupidity and hubris. All they did, besides getting butchered, was affect every other team in their class.

Any insight here? Will EMF co-op everything in 2023-2024? Maybe even consolidate down the road? Few articles in 2020 and 2021 seemed like it was going down that road of consolidation. Some statements from the article from the York News Times...

At the height of the discussions with Friend close to 100 community members attended the July 2020 school board meeting urging the board to explore other options including the feasibility of consolidation with Fillmore Central.

Fisher began with a discussion on population and enrollment numbers. The bottom line is that both numbers are decreasing in each community and the increase in average age reflects fewer school aged children.

Their predictions show that Exeter-Milligan would lose about 11 students over the next 10 years. While Fillmore Central would lose some, approximately 54, it would not be as significant. Ten years down the road they estimate EM enrollment at 132 and FC at 520.

The study showed where a consolidation could save money, in curriculum, more specifically in teachers.

Using the Exeter-Milligan average teacher salary, including benefits, the estimates of savings for teacher and staff with a merged district would be $1.24 million.

Deitz and Fisher also discussed facilities maintenance and repair and replacement projections. Using numbers from each superintendent the estimates are that Exeter-Milligan looks to spend $1.386 million on both campuses and Fillmore Central estimates $672,000. Both districts have an ADA accessible playground on their plan.

Any insight here? Will EMF co-op everything in 2023-2024? Maybe even consolidate down the road? Few articles in 2020 and 2021 seemed like it was going down that road of consolidation. Some statements from the article from the York News Times...

At the height of the discussions with Friend close to 100 community members attended the July 2020 school board meeting urging the board to explore other options including the feasibility of consolidation with Fillmore Central.

Fisher began with a discussion on population and enrollment numbers. The bottom line is that both numbers are decreasing in each community and the increase in average age reflects fewer school aged children.

Their predictions show that Exeter-Milligan would lose about 11 students over the next 10 years. While Fillmore Central would lose some, approximately 54, it would not be as significant. Ten years down the road they estimate EM enrollment at 132 and FC at 520.

The study showed where a consolidation could save money, in curriculum, more specifically in teachers.

Using the Exeter-Milligan average teacher salary, including benefits, the estimates of savings for teacher and staff with a merged district would be $1.24 million.

Deitz and Fisher also discussed facilities maintenance and repair and replacement projections. Using numbers from each superintendent the estimates are that Exeter-Milligan looks to spend $1.386 million on both campuses and Fillmore Central estimates $672,000. Both districts have an ADA accessible playground on their plan.
EMF is coop all sports in High school and JH next year and seem to be a great fit going forward

Not sure this is the correct thread, but looking through conference tournaments it appears to me Hi-Line would be a much more natural fit with the RPAC instead of FKC. Were both Elwood and Eustis-Farnam in the FKC originally? Did RPAC not want them? Guess I'm curious as to how that all worked out.

Not sure this is the correct thread, but looking through conference tournaments it appears to me Hi-Line would be a much more natural fit with the RPAC instead of FKC. Were both Elwood and Eustis-Farnam in the FKC originally? Did RPAC not want them? Guess I'm curious as to how that all worked out.
RPAC has formally invited Hi-Line this school year. Not sure what the decision on that is going to be, or when it is going to be made.

RPAC has formally invited Hi-Line this school year. Not sure what the decision on that is going to be, or when it is going to be made.
Thanks. I'm not even sure why it attracted my attention. Maybe that's an advantage of the state scheduling football districts? People look around and see how similar they fit into other groups. Interesting.

I thought the RPAC was trying to be balanced at 7 in the east and 7 in the west, which is why they brought Maxwell in when Maywood-Hayes Center became a thing. Is someone leaving or cooping? Or are they trying to entice another school (Loomis?) to join also?

If Hi-Line joins and more FKC or MNAC schools follow, at some point Paxton is going to get tired of being as isolated and having to travel out of MTN time. I could see a new conference form out there with some local schools such as Perkins County (Declining population in relation to SPVA), Wallace, Dundy Co, Wa-Pa, and possibly South Platte, Garden Co, and Creek Valley.

I thought the RPAC was trying to be balanced at 7 in the east and 7 in the west, which is why they brought Maxwell in when Maywood-Hayes Center became a thing. Is someone leaving or cooping? Or are they trying to entice another school (Loomis?) to join also?

If Hi-Line joins and more FKC or MNAC schools follow, at some point Paxton is going to get tired of being as isolated and having to travel out of MTN time. I could see a new conference form out there with some local schools such as Perkins County (Declining population in relation to SPVA), Wallace, Dundy Co, Wa-Pa, and possibly South Platte, Garden Co, and Creek Valley.
The RPAC also sent invites to Sutherland and Perkins County. Not sure the conference is worried about balance, they would just push a team to the west, or push a team to the east.

The RPAC also sent invites to Sutherland and Perkins County. Not sure the conference is worried about balance, they would just push a team to the west, or push a team to the east.
I had no idea where they were sending invites. If you don't mind me asking, what is your source? Not calling you out just curious because I hadn't seen or heard this anywhere yet.

Also, if they want/take Sutherland and PC......why not take the low-hanging fruit to make the conference an even better basketball conference with NPSP?

Also, if they want/take Sutherland and PC......why not take the low-hanging fruit to make the conference an even better basketball conference with NPSP?
Also considering that NPSP is smaller, enrollment wise than either of the other two, that's a good question.

Really hope Perkins County and Sutherland stay in SPVA. SPVA needs an 8th team. It’ll never happen but I’d like to see a Brady-Maxwell co-op.
I would say confidently that Brady would close and go to Gothenburg before they ever co-oped with Maxwell. Maxwell has capped enrollments in most of their grades, so having enough kids for them is not really an issue.

I would say confidently that Brady would close and go to Gothenburg before they ever co-oped with Maxwell. Maxwell has capped enrollments in most of their grades, so having enough kids for them is not really an issue.
Yeah it would be interesting to know the percentage of kids in the NPPS district that go to Maxwell. Good for Maxwell though for being able to attract those students.

Yeah it would be interesting to know the percentage of kids in the NPPS district that go to Maxwell. Good for Maxwell though for being able to attract those students.
I've HEARD that 80% (+?) of the students at Maxwell come from outside the District. Would imagine that, whatever the actual number is, the lions share of them would come from the North Platte District. If I was a landowner there, I'd want the District dissolved. Brady-Maxwell has always seemed the height of hubris and vindictive short-sightedness. I've heard a lot about different neighboring districts in the NE or south of NP, but these two...connected by a straight, flat stretch of both HWY 30 and I 80 seems like the most natural and obvious of partnerships. ...Get over yourself people,

Reactions: northeastNebraska
I've HEARD that 80% (+?) of the students at Maxwell come from outside the District. Would imagine that, whatever the actual number is, the lions share of them would come from the North Platte District. If I was a landowner there, I'd want the District dissolved. Brady-Maxwell has always seemed the height of hubris and vindictive short-sightedness. I've heard a lot about different neighboring districts in the NE or south of NP, but these two...connected by a straight, flat stretch of both HWY 30 and I 80 seems like the most natural and obvious of partnerships. ...Get over yourself people,
Maxwell's Levy is 1.01 Brady is 1.05, and NP is 1.08. Not sure very many would vote for dissolving and agree to pay more.

I just can't believe the passed a bond in Maxwell. There is hardly anything in Maxwell. No Co-op, no restaurants, no bank. That town would look the same right now if it didn't have a K-12 school.

Brady enrollment numbers:
7th grade-14
8th grade-17
9th grade-18
10th grade-21
11th grade-11
12th grade-15

Maxwell enrollment numbers:
7th grade-25
8th grade-25
9th grade-28
10th grade-24
11th grade-26
12th grade-34

Total enrollment if consolidated...
7th grade-39
8th grade-42
9th grade-46
10th grade-45
11th grade-37
12th grade-34

Having 35-50 kids per grade is not a bad thing. It would help the teaching shortage, would help with overall facilities. It would be Hershey 2.0 when it comes to enrollment.

Looks like Sutherland is having a public meeting to discuss their move to the RPAC.

This would put SPVA back to six. NPSP, Hersey, Perkins County, Chase County, Bridgeport, and Kimball.

Looks like Sutherland is having a public meeting to discuss their move to the RPAC.

This would put SPVA back to six. NPSP, Hersey, Perkins County, Chase County, Bridgeport, and Kimball.

What should happen: The SPVA dissolves

RPAC adds Sutherland, PC, and NPSP (and Hi-Line) to bring that conference to 16, have to move NPSP to the east just to keep some sanity for that basketball tournament
Kimball and Bridgeport stay with whatever menagerie of conferences that they are in out in the Panhandle (Minuteman, Western, Panhandle)
Hershey and Chase County join the SWC

What should happen: The SPVA dissolves

RPAC adds Sutherland, PC, and NPSP (and Hi-Line) to bring that conference to 16, have to move NPSP to the east just to keep some sanity for that basketball tournament
Kimball and Bridgeport stay with whatever menagerie of conferences that they are in out in the Panhandle (Minuteman, Western, Panhandle)
Hershey and Chase County join the SWC
I love SPVA. One of the states oldest conferences, but the time has come to an end. I'd like that to happen except bring NPSP to the Southwest with Hershey and Chase. NPSP already plays Gothenburg, Cozad, Ogallala and used to play Bow year in and year out too until a few years ago. They fit more in that league versus the RPAC.

NEW SOUTHWEST CONFERENCE (12)
Chase County*
NPSP*
Hershey*

Gothenburg
Cozad
McCook
Holdrege
Ogallala
Broken Bow
Minden
(Can keep Valentine or Ainsworth to be at 12 or they can move on to the NVC) This would be a solid league.

Kimball and Bport stay in the their western conferences.

Perkins County and Sutherland join the RPAC.

NEW REPUBLICAN PLAINS ACTIVITIES CONFERENCE (16)
Alma
Arapahoe
Bertrand
Cambridge
Dundy County-Stratton
Hitchcock County
Maxwell
Maywood/Hayes Center
Medicine Valley
Paxton
Southern Valley
Southwest
Wallace
Wauneta-Palisade
Sutherland*
Perkins County*

Last edited:
Reactions: TC53
Looking at schedules. NPSP, Hershey, Chase County already play many SWC schools in hoops and volleyball. It wouldn't be that big of a change for everyone.

Chase County VB:
Ogallala, McCook, Minden, Gothenburg, and Bow
Chase County Basketball: Cozad, McCook, Ogallala, and Gothenburg.

Hershey VB: Bow, Ogallala, Holdrege, Cozad, McCook, Ainsworth, and Valentine
Hershey Basketball: Gothenburg, Cozad, Ogallala, Bow, Valentine, and Holdrege

NPSP VB: Bow, Gothenburg, and Ogallala
NPSP BB: Ogallala, Gothenburg, and Cozad, (played Bow to start the year, every year, until last year)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT