ADVERTISEMENT

Possible New Coops

nenebskers

All-Conference
Oct 18, 2013
http://penderthurston.com/main.asp?SectionID=5&SubSectionID=23&ArticleID=2465

Attached is a link to a news article about a recent town hall meeting in Pender. The meeting was held to have public discussion about cooping with Emerson Hubbard. The foresight that some of these communities and school boards lack is absolutely astounding to me. The fiasco that Emerson Hubbard and Allen have put themselves in is ridiculous. Why does it take struggling schools so long to see the writing on the wall that is staring right at them? I know it's never easy to go down the coop road, but how about a little pro-active management from leadership?

Reactions: northeastNebraska
I think what a lot of people also don't realize is that schools know they need to be looking at doing a co-op, but often times their are not any schools around them that want to/need to co-op also.

I think what a lot of people also don't realize is that schools know they need to be looking at doing a co-op, but often times their are not any schools around them that want to/need to co-op also.

Agreed that is sometimes the case. Unfortunately too often though the struggling schools wait way to long and put themselves in such a position that they lose all bargaining power.

For example, Pender and Emerson Hubbard have been cooping track and Jhigh sports for a number of years. Pender approaches EH about cooping for football in 18 and 19. EH drags the decision out till the deadline and declines putting Pender in a tough spot the next two years. Then two weeks later someone at EH finally realizes that "oh shoot, we wont be able to field a volleyball or girls basketball team next year and the following years look bleak as well. Let's contact our good friends south of us at Pender and see if they will coop. Hopefully they forget about that whole football thing". Really? What a disaster. Talk about having egg on your face. From there EH has talks with Homer, Pender, Wakefield, and Allen, another school with major issues going on. Homer and Wakefield are ruled out pretty quickly. Allen, desperate for help as well looks like a possibility. At this point EH is still embarrassed about the Pender ordeal. The EH school board votes a day before Allen's school board does. EH's school board says yes to Allen. The next day Allen, who also talked with Wakefield and Ponca, votes for EH as their first choice as well but just for girls sports only not boys. The EH community, not impressed with the board's decision to go with Allen and coupled with Allen's decision to do girls only, creates a stir and the board backtracks. They end up approaching Pender more seriously again, this point basically out of options almost begging them to coop. Now Pender is in a position where if they don't they know that there will be no EH girl's athletics next year. This puts Pender in a really tough spot as well. If Pender says no, which I dont think they will, would the relationship between Pender and EH be beyond repair for good? EH has lost all bargaining power. If they would have worked with Pender back in November, or better yet during the past few years, they would have been able to negotiate coop name, nickname, colors, where practices will be and how often, where games will be played and how often, who the coaches will be, and maybe most importantly what confernece they would compete in. EH is in the Lewis and Clark and Pender in the East Husker. Both are on the outskirts of the conferences, thus someone potentially would be traveling a lot further in the opposite directiom for games than what their used to.

As previously mentioned Allen had talks with Ponca, Wakefield, and EH. At the meeting night where the board was to decide a number of parents show up and raise a fuss about the boys cooping as the boys enrollment and particpation is fine to a degree. This year their boys basketball team only had 11 players but all were underclassman. They managed to go 7-12 with the teams they beat having a combined record of 25-122 with two of the seven wins against 7-15 Santee. But the parents of these boys are convinced that their sons will lead them to the promise land that is the state tournament and they should do so in an Allen uniform. Side note-with the newly passed girls/boys only enrollments being used it appears the Allen boys will jump up to D1 the next two years. Wonder if the parents still feel as strong? The bottom 2/3 of D2 is so poor because so mamy schools struggle with just fielding teams, D1 while still having small schools is much more competitive top to bottom. The board ends up voting to go with EH but for girls only. They concede that all practice and games would be at EH. From my view point your creating division in your school by doing this. How much support from the community would the girls from Allen get for a Friday night basketball game in EH when the boys are playing at home in Allen? What the school and town needs is pride and a sense of community and all they would be doing is creating less of it. So EH backs out, partly cause of Allen's decision to do girls only. Allen is also back at the drawing board and now has to go back to Wakefield and Ponca. Now it appears that Allen and Wakefield will coop, girls only. In talking to someone close to the situation this winter they made the comment that Allen has a lot to offer. No, you really dont because your at a complete disadvantage but if you would have started the process 3-4 years ago then yes you would have had more to offer.

In the flipside I agree with finch63 that the neighboring schools often arent fond of cooping. From my perspective if your C2 or smaller your foolish for not seriously considering. How long will it be till your school is in the same position and need to coop? Will there be any cooping partners left? For example Ponca is landlocked by the Missouri River. Newcastle to the west went with Hartington, South Sioux City is to the east, and Allen to the south. Sure Ponca is fine now but things can change quickly and Allen is their last chance for a partner. Probably most importantly outside of enrollment is that cooping often leads to consolidation. Consolidation is where you have a chance to increase your taxbase

There are two silly issues I see over and over in coop discussions. First off is the thought that little Johnny or Susie might not play if two schools coop. Instead parents want little Johnny to be guarenteed his starting spot on varsity as an undersized sophomore on a sub .500 team. This isnt always just the case for the struggling school though. The larger better off school also has parents with the mindset that a kid from another school may take little Susie's spot on the team. Secondly, schools are so dang worried about jumping up a classification. Sorry but nutt up and play! I think one of the biggest benefits we would see if C1-D2 became two or three classes would be some of these struggling schools that barely fill out a roster and even forefeiting games at times cooping sooner. A lot of potential coops are between a class D2 and D1 or C2 school which often puts them at the very bottom of C1. Mentally thats just too much for many to handle, from both schools, and talks stop.

Lastly because of the uncertainty created by the botched process this winter option enrollments out of the districts start to increase. In the past few months EH has seen it to Homer, Pender, and Wakefield and Allen to Ponca.

Last edited:
Damn I had no idea E-H was such a disaster. And I agree, the parents are the ones who screw this up. Forced consolidations need to be taking place east of Grand Island IMO. We have too many schools now with no kids. Sorry but Allen should be with Wakefield or Ponca. Emerson should be with Pender. Oakland should be with Tekamah. Randolph should be with Osmond, Plainview with Creighton, Wausa with Bloomfield, etc.

This shouldn’t be this hard. It’s not the 1970’s and 1980’s when these parents grew up in the small towns they still live in. A lot has changed. They need to be proactive.

If I were a HS kid I’d rather be the 6th man on team that can actually practice with two sets of 5 on 5. Than be on a team with 8 kids and you can’t even practice.

Damn I had no idea E-H was such a disaster. And I agree, the parents are the ones who screw this up. Forced consolidations need to be taking place east of Grand Island IMO. We have too many schools now with no kids. Sorry but Allen should be with Wakefield or Ponca. Emerson should be with Pender. Oakland should be with Tekamah. Randolph should be with Osmond, Plainview with Creighton, Wausa with Bloomfield, etc.

This shouldn’t be this hard. It’s not the 1970’s and 1980’s when these parents grew up in the small towns they still live in. A lot has changed. They need to be proactive.

If I were a HS kid I’d rather be the 6th man on team that can actually practice with two sets of 5 on 5. Than be on a team with 8 kids and you can’t even practice.
The key word being “consolidations”. Why is it good enough to coop so kids can play sports, but not to consolidate so kids can have more opportunities to be educated?

The key word being “consolidations”. Why is it good enough to coop so kids can play sports, but not to consolidate so kids can have more opportunities to be educated?

The big difference is that during a coop both schools can still keep a little bit of their own identity. During a consolidations someone is most likely going to lose a school which is a hard thing to sell.

Losing identity is always used when talking about consolidations. It's also the biggest lie. No one is losing their identity, instead it's a change of identity. Usually leads to bigger and better things for everyone involved. Also, I can't think of a single consolidation where one school is completely lost. More times than not both schools or more are still used in some capacity.

Losing identity is always used when talking about consolidations. It's also the biggest lie. No one is losing their identity, instead it's a change of identity. Usually leads to bigger and better things for everyone involved. Also, I can't think of a single consolidation where one school is completely lost. More times than not both schools or more are still used in some capacity.
Losing school happens a lot just look at the southeast corner of the state, several schools sitting empty and some really nice buildings, also the city or town that doesnt get the high school also losses population and businesses, it is very hard for people to admit that a 100 plus years of their school is gone and their town is dead

Not a lie, just a reality of the situation and the way that people feel about closing a school within their community.

Losing school happens a lot just look at the southeast corner of the state, several schools sitting empty and some really nice buildings, also the city or town that doesnt get the high school also losses population and businesses, it is very hard for people to admit that a 100 plus years of their school is gone and their town is dead

I think the reverse case can be made in most instances. Losing the school doesn't make the town/businesses decline it's the losing town/businesses that make the school decline.

There is a reason Pender is doing ok and seeing an increase in their elementary enrollment and EH is not. Pender has done some tremendous things in the last few years for a small town; attracting a Subway restaurant, new medical facility, new community center, to go with a 9 hole golf course, Blue Ox manufacturing, etc. What has Emerson done in the last 40 years to improve and attract residents and businesses?

Same can be said for Wakefield and Ponca are why Allen is not. Wakefield community has done an unbelievable job with baseball/softball complex, swimming pool, park, and new businesses on south side of town. In addition they have a larger employer with Michael Foods. Ponca in the last 25 years has added a 9 hole golf course, unbelievable updates to the State Park, housing development outside the statepark, and new aquatics center last year. Allen has done what?

Drive through the towns and surrounding area and take a look at the houses and businesses and you'll get a real good idea of where the school is heading.

Last edited:
I think the reverse case can be made in most instances Losing the school doesn't make the town/businesses decline it's the losing town/businesses that make the school decline.

There is a reason Pender is doing ok and seeing an increase in their elementary enrollment and EH is not. Pender has done some tremendous things in the last few years for a small town; attracting a subway, new medical facility, new community center, to go with a 9 hole golf course, Blue Ox manufacturing, etc. What has Emerson done to improve in the last 40 years to improve and attract residents and businesses?

Same can be said for Wakefield and Ponca are why Allen is not. Wakefield community has done an unbelievable job with baseball/softball complex, swimming pool, park, and new businesses on south side of town. In addition they have a larger employer with Michael Foods. Ponca in the last 25 years has added a 9 hole golf course, unbelievable updates to the State Park, housing development outside the statepark, and new aquatics center last year. Allen has done what?

Drive through the towns and surrounding area and take a look at the houses and businesses and you'll get a real good idea of where the school is heading.
Exactly.

Reactions: Llama57
Consolidations provide more classes & opportunities for students. Plus you’re not paying double the administration & teachers. Easiest way to lower property taxes in a large part of the state. But that’s a logical conversation that not many folks want to have.
I’d like to see the legislature step in & say that if you coop for sports, you have to consolidate. Good enough for Kids to make a b-ball team, probably more than good for English, history, science, etc.
And I graduated from a small rural school that is in desperate need of consolidation. The amount they spend per student to educate them is astonishing. And no, the small class size doesn’t equal a better education. My kids have 5x the kids in their class than I did, and have many more opportunities & classes than I ever did. Way more educated than I could have ever dreamed of.

Consolidations provide more classes & opportunities for students. Plus you’re not paying double the administration & teachers. Easiest way to lower property taxes in a large part of the state. But that’s a logical conversation that not many folks want to have.
I’d like to see the legislature step in & say that if you coop for sports, you have to consolidate. Good enough for Kids to make a b-ball team, probably more than good for English, history, science, etc.
And I graduated from a small rural school that is in desperate need of consolidation. The amount they spend per student to educate them is astonishing. And no, the small class size doesn’t equal a better education. My kids have 5x the kids in their class than I did, and have many more opportunities & classes than I ever did. Way more educated than I could have ever dreamed of.
Totally agree. It’s just amazing how some of the people don’t see the future. It sucks a lot towns are dying. But it’s not because of the school. Small towns need to be proactive and work to get businesses to come to their town like Pender has. A lot of towns don’t want to do it and will just complain why they don’t have nice things.

I look at the Neligh-Oakdale and Clearwater issue. Clearwater doesn’t have a bargaining chip to me. Neligh is in the middle of Oakdale and Clearwater. Neligh is the county seat, it has 3x population as Clearwater. They have the nice school already. It’s 10 miles to Neligh from Clearwater. It’s not far, don’t burn your bridge with Neligh-Oakdale when you’ll probably need them in 3-5 years down the road.

If the schools left and went to N-O, what would the community of Clearwater lose? Not a lot because there isn’t much there right now to begin with. Antelope County High School would be a large C2? That’s not a big deal either.

Last edited:
Curious why you say Oakland-Craig should be with Tekamah? You are talking about 2 class C schools that have a steady enrollment. Oakland-Craig has more than enough kids out for sports. Tekmah-Herman has a participation issue that isn't solved by the two schools going together. From everything I hear, the coaches at T-H work hard to build programs, and numbers are improving in some sports.

Curious why you say Oakland-Craig should be with Tekamah? You are talking about 2 class C schools that have a steady enrollment. Oakland-Craig has more than enough kids out for sports. Tekmah-Herman has a participation issue that isn't solved by the two schools going together. From everything I hear, the coaches at T-H work hard to build programs, and numbers are improving in some sports.

Im not real familiar with Tekamah-Herman. I thought I remember hearing that they and Oakland-Craig both had issues with aging facilities. Isnt that one of the main reasons they we're having conaolidation discussions. Haven't heard anything in a while. Did either school pass a bond on their own?

Im not real familiar with Tekamah-Herman. I thought I remember hearing that they and Oakland-Craig both had issues with aging facilities. Isnt that one of the main reasons they we're having conaolidation discussions. Haven't heard anything in a while. Did either school pass a bond on their own?
Tekamah has a need for a new school and gym. T-H is kind of out on an island by themselves if they don’t go with OC.

Both schools have very old school buildings. O-C's is the high school building. Thier elementary just had an addition 4 or 5 years ago I believe. They have an excellent gym, the track is only a couple years old, and it's a great facility for football games from the 2 I've been to. They have a newer press box and skybox, along with a concession stand.

I was told T-H is building a new track now. They've done some work to their gym. Not sure about their football field.

Are there any other potential coops yet this year around the state?

Interesting as both Pender-Emerson Hubbard and Wakefield-Allen will result in C1 teams. Wakefield and Allen in girls and Pender-Emerson Hubbard in both if it passes. This knocks two girls teams and one boys down from C1 to C2 in basketball. In boys I believe it would be Tekamah Herman and girls Winnebago and Fillmore Central, assuming classifications are set the same as last year. The trickle down effect would be in D1 and D2.

Wakefield - Allen girls would solidly be in C1 (71 girls total)

Pender & Emerson Hubbard coop would be C2 (if it even happens) 55 Boys and 53 girls

These are according to boy/girl enrollments for next year.

Wakefield - Allen girls would solidly be in C1 (71 girls total)

Pender & Emerson Hubbard coop would be C2 (if it even happens) 55 Boys and 53 girls

These are according to boy/girl enrollments for next year.

I assumed Pender and EH would be very bottom of C1 without even looking. Never assume!

Winside and Randolph considering a co-op for basketball.
Wow..... It would be closer for them to go to Laurel or Pierce.... or Wayne, but obviously Wayne is out, because that would guarantee being Class B.
How the heck can they each have 8 man football teams, but not make a b-ball team? I know wrestling is big in Winside, but geez....

Reactions: nenebskers
Wow..... It would be closer for them to go to Laurel or Pierce.... or Wayne, but obviously Wayne is out, because that would guarantee being Class B.
How the heck can they each have 8 man football teams, but not make a b-ball team? I know wrestling is big in Winside, but geez....

Winside is in an odd spot geographically speaking. The two nearest schools via highway are Class A Norfolk and C1 Wayne who is always close to being pushed into B. Alumni, where is most of the rural enrollment at Winside coming from? Up near Carroll?

The Lewis & Clark could start looking quite differant pretty soon. Most of the Knox County schools have talked coop or consolidation ar some point in the last 5 years. Wynot has had a good run for the last 15 years but I always wonder how long they can keep it going before needing to latch on with Hartington or Crofton.

Schools are very prideful, especially when it comes to football. Unfortunately football is the one sport that teams and individuals really benefit from program depth but parents and community members dont seem to agree. Heck there is no shame in little Johnny playing JV his Freshman and Sophomore years!

I believe I heard that Winside and Randolph have already been co-oping jr. high sports for a year or two, at least football. I don't think Randolph's enrollment is doing too great at the moment either.

I think the two talked last year about co-oping for varsity football, but I believe the fear was the co-op could jump then into 11 man (I think this was discussed before the "boys-only" classification was passed....I'm not sure.) Winside really should probably be 6-man in this period, but passed on that option too for some reason.

I honestly thought if Winside ever did any co-oping and it wasn't with Wayne, that it would be with Stanton.

Winside is in an odd spot geographically speaking. The two nearest schools via highway are Class A Norfolk and C1 Wayne who is always close to being pushed into B. Alumni, where is most of the rural enrollment at Winside coming from? Up near Carroll?

The Lewis & Clark could start looking quite differant pretty soon. Most of the Knox County schools have talked coop or consolidation ar some point in the last 5 years. Wynot has had a good run for the last 15 years but I always wonder how long they can keep it going before needing to latch on with Hartington or Crofton.

Schools are very prideful, especially when it comes to football. Unfortunately football is the one sport that teams and individuals really benefit from program depth but parents and community members dont seem to agree. Heck there is no shame in little Johnny playing JV his Freshman and Sophomore years!

I don't know where most of Winside's enrollment comes from.....if I had to guess, I'd venture a majority of it comes from closer to the Hoskins/Woodland Park/Norfolk area.

A lot of people I knew from Carroll went to Wayne. Winside is in a tough spot geography wise. I wonder if Randolph sees them as the best option because Osmond and Plainview May go together someday?

I believe I heard that Winside and Randolph have already been co-oping jr. high sports for a year or two, at least football. I don't think Randolph's enrollment is doing too great at the moment either.
A lot of people I knew from Carroll went to Wayne. Winside is in a tough spot geography wise. I wonder if Randolph sees them as the best option because Osmond and Plainview May go together someday?

I believe Carroll is in the Wayne district. Used to be called Wayne-Carroll Schools

Winside has struggled for years with boys and girls sports, their girls basketball program is in shambles and after this cycle the boys teams will be as well. they will be lucky to get 10-12 kids out for football, it's a shame because they had a tradition of being a pretty good athletic school, i know wrestling was always big but that too has not been what it used to be either. time to coop with someone.

Wow, sad for EH but very self inflicted in my opinion. Your relying on five girls and families who just weeks earlier had decided to transfer to field your teams for next year? Amazing that just two years ago EH girls were conference champs in volleyball and basketball and also made state tournament in volleyball and won the championship for Class D1 in girls basketball. Man how things can change.

If your EH dont you almost have to look hard elsewhere after this?

Pender Superintendent cited taking away spots from there kids. While I believe this to be slightly true I think their larger concern is jumping up a classification. I cant imagine that many, if any, of the EH girls would take away playing time from the Pender girls. IMO it's all about the fear of jumping up a classification. I've said it many times in this board that so many coops and consolidations stall due to classification changes. C1-D2 combining into two or at least classes would change things quite a bit.

Last edited:
Wow, sad for EH but very self inflicted in my opinion. Your relying on five girls and families who just weeks earlier had decided to transfer to field your teams for next year? Amazing that just two years ago EH girls were conference champs in volleyball and basketball and also made state tournament in volleyball and won the championship for Class D1 in girls basketball. Man how things can change.

If your EH dont you almost have to look hard elsewhere after this?

Pender Superintendent cited taking away spots from there kids. While I believe this to be slightly true I think their larger concern is jumping up a classification. I cant imagine that many, if any, of the EH girls would take away playing time from the Pender girls. IMO it's all about the fear of jumping up a classification. I've said it many times in this board that so many coops and consolidations stall due to classification changes. C1-D2 combining into two or at least classes would change things quite a bit.

It is very interesting and intriguing, that's for sure. Here's KTIC's story on the Town Hall Meeting. The whole meeting was recorded, and you can listen to it if you like. Citizen's comments and everything.

http://kticradio.com/regional-news/...ial-co-op-between-pender-and-emerson-hubbard/

sometimes being stubborn hurts kids. EH may not have a volleyball or a girls bb team. too bad for the kids. some parents just cost their own child a chance to play highschool sports. sad in so ways.

Shame on Pender. Adding 2 for volleyball and 5 for basketball wouldn't hurt a thing. Sure they could move up to C2. Guess what? Pender was 5-25 in volleyball last year. Now if they had this legit title contender coming back and moving up to C2 would put all that hard work in jeopardy then I would see their point. Also, too bad for the leadership on Dolliver's part. Saying there's only 5 varsity positions. Come on, so if you aren't starting varsity then it's pointless to be on the team? That's a tremendous message to be sending the kids!

This is an interesting read I cant believe these schools play baseball and softball. I would look at those decisions as killers to the other programs.
Does anyone know how long before EH just closes?

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Shame on Pender. Adding 2 for volleyball and 5 for basketball wouldn't hurt a thing. Sure they could move up to C2. Guess what? Pender was 5-25 in volleyball last year. Now if they had this legit title contender coming back and moving up to C2 would put all that hard work in jeopardy then I would see their point. Also, too bad for the leadership on Dolliver's part. Saying there's only 5 varsity positions. Come on, so if you aren't starting varsity then it's pointless to be on the team? That's a tremendous message to be sending the kids!

I agree but this is much more on EH than Pender. When Pender approached them last fall about cooping football and EH declined it they dug their own grave IMO for the girls sports programs. On the flip side I think Pender is silly to not be welcoming to EH. EH will in all likely need to consolidate eventually and Pender may lose out in the long run. Unless they don't care about increasing their land area and tax base.

loveD2football, I can't see how these two communities move forward with track and field and etc....I believe EH's best hope this point going forward is Homer. They burnt a bridge with Allen, probably burnt the bridge with Pender, and now are in a real tough spot. When the leadership fails like this (administration and school board) students and families that live on the outskirts of the school district start option enrolling out rather quickly. Because of the botched leadership it may lead to the school ultimately being forced into consolidation sooner than they would have because of enrollment. From what I've heard some have already option enrolled out to Homer, Pender, and Wakefield over the past few months.

Honestly Pender should look at Wakefield at this point. 18 miles apart, not that far. EH is in a terrible spot. BR told them no a few years ago (which would have been the most natural fit in school consolidations ever in my opinion.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT