ADVERTISEMENT

Football ****Re-Seeded Second Round D1 & D2 Playoff Brackets****

Alum-Ni

All-State
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
The playoff brackets for the re-seeded second rounds in Classes D1 and D2. These games will take place next Friday with the high seed hosting this round.

CLASS D1
#1 North Platte St. Patrick's (9-0)
#16 Sandy Creek (6-3)

#8 Elmwood-Murdock (8-1)
#9 Hi-Line (8-1)

#4 Riverside (8-1)
#13 Summerland (6-3)

#5 Neligh-Oakdale (8-1)
#12 Heartland (7-2)

#3 Stanton (9-0)
#14 Ravenna (7-2)

#6 Thayer Central (8-1)
#11 Nebraska Christian (7-2)

#7 Clarkson/Leigh (8-1)
#10 Crofton (6-3)

#2 Laurel-Concord-Coleridge (9-0)
#15 Weeping Water (5-4)

CLASS D2
#1 Howells-Dodge (9-0)
#16 South Loup (6-3)

#8 Dundy County-Stratton (8-1)
#9 Johnson-Brock (8-1)

#4 Bruning-Davenport/Shickley (9-0)
#13 Lawrence-Nelson (8-1)

#5 Sandhills/Thedford (8-1)
#12 Central Valley (8-1)

#3 Wynot (8-1)
#14 Twin Loup (7-2)

#6 Bloomfield (8-1)
#11 Osceola (8-1)

#7 Ainsworth (9-0)
#10 Elm Creek (8-1)

#2 Hitchcock County (9-0)
#15 Humphrey St. Francis (6-3)

Going to probably send this thread down a rabbit hole. But want to mention to all the haters that it is better to have too many qualifiers than not enough.

If D1 was only 16 qualifiers then we wouldn't have Sandy Creek, Summerland, Ravenna, or Weeping Water. And in D2 we wouldn't have either Humphrey St. Francis or South Loup depending on the tie breaker.

Just FYI I have always been a supporter of 24 qualifiers for 8man with first round bye weeks, but with that always getting voted down 32 is better than 16.

Going to probably send this thread down a rabbit hole. But want to mention to all the haters that it is better to have too many qualifiers than not enough.

If D1 was only 16 qualifiers then we wouldn't have Sandy Creek, Summerland, Ravenna, or Weeping Water. And in D2 we wouldn't have either Humphrey St. Francis or South Loup depending on the tie breaker.

Just FYI I have always been a supporter of 24 qualifiers for 8man with first round bye weeks, but with that always getting voted down 32 is better than 16.
Have to agree

I'd agree with you. Are there a lot of blowouts? Yes, but you do get some really good games too. Most teams have a lack of depth so having a kid out a week or two and taking a lose because of it can really skew the W-L record for the middle seeded teams. One kid can make that big of a difference. Every year people whine about 3-5 teams making the playoffs. The teams that beat them don't really care that much I feel. Just a few years ago a 3-5 Mullen team knocked off 8-0 S/T. S/T probably would have come out of the west that year too. For most its a tune up game for the down the road. As a coach, I wouldn't like that 1st round by with 24. I'd want to keep my kids in routine of playing a game. High School boys are usually too dumb to stay out of trouble if you give them idle time! I myself love seeing some upsets. That's what makes it great

Last edited:

I enjoy the chance the teams that limp into the playoffs have. 24 teams would get rid of many of the blowouts and historically there are not many upsets outside of those teams also. A first round bye used to be glorified because you earned a break by winning. Hitchcock County already had 2 forfeits during the season, so a first round bye would have meant 3 weeks between playing actual football games. Howells-Dodge would have been in the same boat this year with the forfeit for the last game of the season. That is a long time to go without playing football. This bracket is one of the most exciting ones I have ever witnessed as I think there are chances for "upsets" in every game. Lets hope all the teams live up to the hype. Can next week be here already!!????!

I don't fully agree with the argument that because a lower seeded team wins a ball game that having a larger bracket is necessary. It's sports, of course there will be upsets. One of the examples given is a 9 seed beating an 8.

We also forget that with a 16 team playoff there is an additional regular season game which helps the cream rise to the top. This would also give all teams a 9th game. Too me playing 8 regular season games and having over 50% of the teams get it just waters down the regular season. Another positive would be keeping a Friday night schedule.

32 is still too many for the playoffs. The playoffs should be a reward, that doesn't change because of a few scores last night. I don't think the round of 32 goes away, but it should be labeled as substate and not the playoffs.

24 is the ideal number to let the best teams heal up.

32 is still too many for the playoffs. The playoffs should be a reward, that doesn't change because of a few scores last night. I don't think the round of 32 goes away, but it should be labeled as substate and not the playoffs.

24 is the ideal number to let the best teams heal up.
Agreed. I've taught boys on teams who've been the super low seeds playing the high seeds. They don't look forward to it. It's not a reward to them. I like this idea of "substate."

I always get a kick out of this argument. Many beers have been sacrificed trying to win it! Here is how I see it. Not every team plays in said "playoff." There is a cut line involved. Teams below the line have their season ended. The remained teams are seeded, winners advance and losers go home. I guess to me that is literally the definition of a playoff game. You can call it what you like but it is what it is. Like I said before, if I've got my team clicking at playoff time, I'd rather not have a by week the first week of the playoffs. Now if you are beat up, ya a week would help you. Either way I like it the way it is or go back to 16.

play·off
/ˈplāˌôf/
Learn to pronounce

noun

1. an additional game or period of play that decides the outcome of a tied contest.
    "a sudden-death playoff was required to settle the tournament"
    • a series of contests played to determine the winner of a championship, as between the leading teams in different divisions or leagues.
      "Chandler was credited with taking his team to the playoffs"

Can we stop focusing on how many teams make the playoffs and focus on the remaining games?? How does everyone think the bracket looks? who will make it to Lincoln? Any more upsets in the making??
I'm not saying they will upset but watch that South Loup/Howells matchup. South Loup goes about 245 across the Dline/Interior Line with speed to burn on the backend. MLB is a dude. They run a really tough defense to block. Their speed in the backfield is legit too. I know Howells is Howells and SL will have to play out of their minds to win but I'm not sure there is a scarier matchup in 8man right now than SL. I'd probably favor them in any game other than this one next week. I think them and HC in a rematch would be a 50/50 toss up.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
So what you are saying is there is to many teams in playoffs in Class A and B also then correct ?
This is about D1 and D2, who cares about Class A and B in this. Keep it the way it is and the best teams will shake out in the end, teams that are borderline 24-32 can say they made the playoffs and played against a team in the semis or finals, lets focus on the remaining games.

This is about D1 and D2, who cares about Class A and B in this. Keep it the way it is and the best teams will shake out in the end, teams that are borderline 24-32 can say they made the playoffs and played against a team in the semis or finals, lets focus on the remaining games.
That logic makes zero sense sorry but what percentage of teams are in the playoffs that you feel is needed, should then be across all classes

Yeah I think the lopsided blowouts are ridiculous. There is a time to call off the dogs. I don't want to hear the argument that the defense needs to stop the offense. Bloomfield 88-0? Kuchar does this time and time again. I can't wait for the shoe to get reversed. This is why we should only have 16 teams in all classes. Go ahead and bash me, I can take it.

Reactions: runningback43
Yeah I think the lopsided blowouts are ridiculous. There is a time to call off the dogs. I don't want to hear the argument that the defense needs to stop the offense. Bloomfield 88-0? Kuchar does this time and time again. I can't wait for the shoe to get reversed. This is why we should only have 16 teams in all classes. Go ahead and bash me, I can take it.
No bashing, just your opinion, some coaches don't handle things correctly and they should be called out. Younger kids should play in the blowouts on both sides, get them more time and they can tell everyone they played in a playoff game. Most likely the team would get blown out anyway if the regular season was extended one more game. What games are you excited about next week.

The playoff brackets for the re-seeded second rounds in Classes D1 and D2. These games will take place next Friday with the high seed hosting this round.

CLASS D1
#1 North Platte St. Patrick's (9-0)
#16 Sandy Creek (6-3)

#8 Elmwood-Murdock (8-1)
#9 Hi-Line (8-1)

#4 Riverside (8-1)
#13 Summerland (6-3)

#5 Neligh-Oakdale (8-1)
#12 Heartland (7-2)

#3 Stanton (9-0)
#14 Ravenna (7-2)

#6 Thayer Central (8-1)
#11 Nebraska Christian (7-2)

#7 Clarkson/Leigh (8-1)
#10 Crofton (6-3)

#2 Laurel-Concord-Coleridge (9-0)
#15 Weeping Water (5-4)
My Predictions
#1 NPSP by 40 over Sandy Creek
#8 Elmwood over Hi Line 68 to 48
#4 Riverside over Summerland in a close game 42 to 38
# 5 Neligh over Heartland 56 to 20
#3 Stanton over Ravenna 60 to 14
#6 Thayer Central over Nebraska Christian in a tight game 40 to 38
#10 Crofton over Clarkson 18 to 16 in a low defensive battles
# 2 LCC over Weeping Water 22 to 18 in a better game than people would think. WW is battle tested.

CLASS D2
#1 Howells-Dodge (9-0)
#16 South Loup (6-3)

#8 Dundy County-Stratton (8-1)
#9 Johnson-Brock (8-1)

#4 Bruning-Davenport/Shickley (9-0)
#13 Lawrence-Nelson (8-1)

#5 Sandhills/Thedford (8-1)
#12 Central Valley (8-1)

#3 Wynot (8-1)
#14 Twin Loup (7-2)

#6 Bloomfield (8-1)
#11 Osceola (8-1)

#7 Ainsworth (9-0)
#10 Elm Creek (8-1)

#2 Hitchcock County (9-0)
#15 Humphrey St. Francis (6-3)
I think D-2 besides Howells Dodge is the most even competitive class this year.
#1 HD over SL 48 to 12
#8 DCS over JB in a high scoring affair 58 to 54. Both teams lost against the best competition
#4 BDS over LN in a close game. BDS offense wins out 56 to 40
#12 Central Valley over ST. 44 to 40 in a close highly contested battle
#3 Wynot over Twin Loup. 54 to 30 both offense will be successful in this game
#6 Bloomfield over Osceola. 48 to 36 Who ever can pass the ball a little and be successful wins the game.
#7 Ainsworth over Elm Creek in a coin flip game 48 to 46. Both teams can score.
#2 HC over HSF 48 to 36 in a tighter game than many people expected.

As long as the NsAA sets the schedules, it should be 32. 16 is way too low for 8 man. Plus, as long as they allow opt downs to affect power points from teams who dont even belong in the class, it should be 32.
I beleve burwell would not have made the playoffs with 16 one year they won it.
16 is just too few when schedules are so varied and different.

As long as the NsAA sets the schedules, it should be 32. 16 is way too low for 8 man. Plus, as long as they allow opt downs to affect power points from teams who dont even belong in the class, it should be 32.
I beleve burwell would not have made the playoffs with 16 one year they won it.
16 is just too few when schedules are so varied and different.
That was 2016. They were a 10 seed in the West

What is considered calling off the dogs? Should the winning team make their JV kids take knees and let them score? No starters played in the second half of that game, just like most other games around the state.

I think D-2 besides Howells Dodge is the most even competitive class this year.
#1 HD over SL 48 to 12
#8 DCS over JB in a high scoring affair 58 to 54. Both teams lost against the best competition
#4 BDS over LN in a close game. BDS offense wins out 56 to 40
#12 Central Valley over ST. 44 to 40 in a close highly contested battle
#3 Wynot over Twin Loup. 54 to 30 both offense will be successful in this game
#6 Bloomfield over Osceola. 48 to 36 Who ever can pass the ball a little and be successful wins the game.
#7 Ainsworth over Elm Creek in a coin flip game 48 to 46. Both teams can score.
#2 HC over HSF 48 to 36 in a tighter game than many people expected.
Good picks, I think Osceola and Elm creek pull off the wins though. Like you said there will be some good competition

CLASS D2
#1 Howells-Dodge (9-0) 48

#16 South Loup (6-3) 24

#8 Dundy County-Stratton (8-1) 42
#9 Johnson-Brock (8-1) 40

#4 Bruning-Davenport/Shickley (9-0) 32
#13 Lawrence-Nelson (8-1) 36

#5 Sandhills/Thedford (8-1) 28
#12 Central Valley (8-1) 48

#3 Wynot (8-1) 56

#14 Twin Loup (7-2) 20

#6 Bloomfield (8-1) 56
#11 Osceola (8-1) 54

#7 Ainsworth (9-0) 48
#10 Elm Creek (8-1) 32

#2 Hitchcock County (9-0) 44
#15 Humphrey St. Francis (6-3) 16

CLASS D2

#16 South Loup (6-3) 12

#8 Dundy County-Stratton (8-1) 36
#9 Johnson-Brock (8-1) 54

#4 Bruning-Davenport/Shickley (9-0) 40

#13 Lawrence-Nelson (8-1) 26

#12 Central Valley (8-1) 38

#3 Wynot (8-1) 56

#14 Twin Loup (7-2) 14

#6 Bloomfield (8-1) 48
#11 Osceola (8-1) 36

#7 Ainsworth (9-0) 44
#10 Elm Creek (8-1) 42

#2 Hitchcock County (9-0) 44
#15 Humphrey St. Francis (6-3) 32
FIFY

• Angry
Reactions: C-Bearsfan
What is considered calling off the dogs? Should the winning team make their JV kids take knees and let them score? No starters played in the second half of that game, just like most other games around the state.
Yes! I’ve seen it more than not over the years. Prime example is howells. Bloomfield beat elkhorn valley 112-7 a couple years ago. Get a clue as a coach. I watched Stanton come out and run 9 minutes off the clock in the second half. They get it. Kudos to them.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Where? Bloomfield plays there starters until 4th quarter. Only worried about stats

Where? Bloomfield plays there starters until 4th quarter. Only worried about stats
Hitchcock County subbed in JV a series before halftime and the HC coach walked over the the MHC coach at half and asked if it was ok to run his starters for one series after halftime, to which the MHC coach said yes.

By the 4th quarter, it was only freshmen playing for HC vs MHC's JV.

Can't argue against what Bloomfield does though. Anyone that puts up 112 points is showing poor sportsmanship. There are definitely ways to take your time on offense and run the clock down quickly once there is a running clock.

Last year in the semi-final, Cross County left their starters in when up 50ish-20 in the 4th quarter when their big starting running back got injured.

The game was basically over and there was no reason to have him in still due to the possibility of injuries, unless the coach was trying to get the back more stats.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
I don't fully agree with the argument that because a lower seeded team wins a ball game that having a larger bracket is necessary. It's sports, of course there will be upsets. One of the examples given is a 9 seed beating an 8.

We also forget that with a 16 team playoff there is an additional regular season game which helps the cream rise to the top. This would also give all teams a 9th game. Too me playing 8 regular season games and having over 50% of the teams get it just waters down the regular season. Another positive would be keeping a Friday night schedule.
That 9th Game is a huge factor in the 16 Team Playoff model. You are right, we can't forget about that.

Many of those "bubble" teams in a 32 team model will no longer be on that bubble after Game 9.

Excellent point.

That 9th Game is a huge factor in the 16 Team Playoff model. You are right, we can't forget about that.

Many of those "bubble" teams in a 32 team model will no longer be on that bubble after Game 9.

Excellent point.
But your are good with Class B and A having 16 teams in correct ?

Last edited:
Reactions: ClkTwr2011
Not sure if you're saying Howells plays starters excessively or not (I assume not), but when I was there 20 years ago, the 2nd string and beyond played almost all of the 2nd half in a lot of games. We could have 45'ed teams, but instead gave the younger kids a chance to play and learn. That was, in my opinion, a huge factor in the success of the program.

But your are good with Class B and A having 16 teams in correct ?
I don't mind the A-B system. I also don't hate the D1-D2 system. My point is that a 9 game season with 16 making the playoffs would give everyone that 9th game, not just 32 teams. I could see that being beneficial.

What any of us like or dislike is good conversation, but the people closest to these things apparently like the way things are or they would vote to change them.

I'm not saying they will upset but watch that South Loup/Howells matchup. South Loup goes about 245 across the Dline/Interior Line with speed to burn on the backend. MLB is a dude. They run a really tough defense to block. Their speed in the backfield is legit too. I know Howells is Howells and SL will have to play out of their minds to win but I'm not sure there is a scarier matchup in 8man right now than SL. I'd probably favor them in any game other than this one next week. I think them and HC in a rematch would be a 50/50 toss up.
South Loup was definitely the worst game Hitchcock County had, as I was told they didn't show up to play that day and were sluggish.

Didn't see the game myself, so hard saying for sure that they played sluggish vs South Loup just being that good.

Hoping to be able to somewhat compare HC to HD, based on this game. Guessing HD wins by a lot though.

I could see Hitchcock getting upset by HSF this week. Every game should be tough and fun to watch for the next few weeks.

CLASS D2

#16 South Loup (6-3) 24

#8 Dundy County-Stratton (8-1) 42
#9 Johnson-Brock (8-1) 40

#4 Bruning-Davenport/Shickley (9-0) 32
#13 Lawrence-Nelson (8-1) 36

#12 Central Valley (8-1) 48

#3 Wynot (8-1) 56

#14 Twin Loup (7-2) 20

#6 Bloomfield (8-1) 56