ADVERTISEMENT

Reclassification

Some bad data included. Didn't even look very closely, but the distance factor has at least 3 glaring errors. Kenesaw isn't with 15 miles of anyone bigger than C1 and Maxwell and Hershey are both omitted. Not sure how forcing 8 man schools to play C1 benefits anybody except for the schools that can't compete (and still likely won't be able to) I think we also need to look at scholarships. A kid living in Hartington gets a full ride going to play for Hartington-Newcastle. Giving free education has to be an advantage, right? Or are you saying public education is that embarrassingly bad that schools can't give it away?

Data from 2016, I believe. Kenesaw was 13.6 miles from Class B Adams Central. There is nothing in that presentation about 8-man schools being forced into C1. The presentation tried to point out that a system designed just around numbers in school is not the best system. Minnesota and Iowa have both recently approved classification changes that factor in poverty (thru free/reduced lunch numbers. Kansas is considering one. To me, the most impressive data I saw was that free/reduce numbers matter much more than whether you are biggest or smallest school in the class.

EDIT: Add the state of Washington to the list of state associations now using free/reduce numbers as one factor in classification. I made this presentation to NSAA classification committee in 2016 or 2017, if I remember. They didn't even want to discuss possible changes, though no one in the room would dispute the facts.

• Love
Reactions: saluno22
Mapquest says 14.8 school to school. AC was C1 in 2016. Enrollment numbers show an enrollment of 230. 3 year average of 235. Regardless, flawed data at a cursory glance means, to me, all sorts of issues when it actually gets dig into. Whether sloppy or cherry picked...I'm out. And, Free-Reduced being something that has to be asked for might indicate all sorts of things other than simply the wealth of a community.

Mapquest says 14.8 school to school. AC was C1 in 2016. Enrollment numbers show an enrollment of 230. 3 year average of 235. Regardless, flawed data at a cursory glance means, to me, all sorts of issues when it actually gets dig into. Whether sloppy or cherry picked...I'm out. And, Free-Reduced being something that has to be asked for might indicate all sorts of things other than simply the wealth of a community.
Dear God, total dismissal of the proposal because the person who put it together probably as a side project had a few errors? If it was implemented, everything would be combed over much more thoroughly and reviewed by so many stakeholders.

On the merits of the ideas and concepts, how do you feel about it?

Reactions: hailvictors2
Data from 2016, I believe. Kenesaw was 13.6 miles from Class B Adams Central. There is nothing in that presentation about 8-man schools being forced into C1. The presentation tried to point out that a system designed just around numbers in school is not the best system. Minnesota and Iowa have both recently approved classification changes that factor in poverty (thru free/reduced lunch numbers. Kansas is considering one. To me, the most impressive data I saw was that free/reduce numbers matter much more than whether you are biggest or smallest school in the class.

EDIT: Add the state of Washington to the list of state associations now using free/reduce numbers as one factor in classification. I made this presentation to NSAA classification committee in 2016 or 2017, if I remember. They didn't even want to discuss possible changes, though no one in the room would dispute the facts.
Without a doubt social economics has more to do with winning and losing than any other factor, and as you have pointed out with facts it still stands true BUT no one really cares about a real fair classification processes, each only wants what favors them the best

amazing how quickly this topic and the facts shutdown conversation and how quickly no one will discuss it Just look at this thread. Like I said they most do not want a fair system they just want a system that helps only the schools they care about

Would like to see this come to Nebraska, might be the fairest system I have seen
Interesting for sure. I'll try & crunch #s and see who'd fall where. Reduced/free % is on NE Dept of Ed site.
Initial hunch says Bennington, E North, Elkhorn, etc. would become class A. SSC, N Platte, Norfolk would move down to B.
Wahoo, DC West, Concordia, etc. may move to B
KC, Malcolm, Linc Lutheran, etc. may be C1

I believe Colorado uses socio-economic status as one of their classification factors, along with success rate.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
I believe Colorado uses socio-economic status as one of their classification factors, along with success rate.
You are correct. I don't know that the numbers they consider are Free/Reduced lunch, but they do use some type of socio-economic factors.

Does anyone know the % of NCAA D1 / FCS football and basketball players that were free/reduced?
I have tried to search for this data in the past. There is some pretty involved research out there, but it is tough reading and doesn't really address your question directly.

Most black athletes come from areas that are significantly disadvantaged when compared to white athletes. Black population in the US is about 15% and about 50% of NCAA D1 football players are black, 40% are white, and 10% are other.

About 70% of NFL players are black.

Deductive reasoning tells us that the % of D1 athletes that come from disadvantaged areas is pretty high. Maybe as high as 50%.

Where the issue lies is that the densely populated areas are where most of these athletes come from. If you have 2 Division 1 prospects on a Class C1 football team, you can do some damage. When you have the same 2 on a Class A team, they likely don't move the needle.

I know that you are good with numbers and analytics @HighPlainsCoach , scrub through some of that research paper I linked and see what you think.

Someone else posted these links a while ago, but I can't find the thread. I thought they were interesting.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1a-g4f6RlR70L7qF3_R7-BvJAna8zNCDXwvLjtTZgymU/edit#slide=id.p
I said it the first time I saw this slide presentation, and I will say it again.

This is an absolutely fantastic presentation. This is eye opening to say the very least. I believe that many of us suspected the things that this presentation supports, but never had a way to really dig into the numbers the way that this does.

Whomever put this together (I can't remember) you did a great job.

Reactions: saluno22
I said it the first time I saw this slide presentation, and I will say it again.

This is an absolutely fantastic presentation. This is eye opening to say the very least. I believe that many of us suspected the things that this presentation supports, but never had a way to really dig into the numbers the way that this does.

Whomever put this together (I can't remember) you did a great job.
Some great information but lol it just like free and reduce talk will kill this thread Nobody wants to actually look at facts

The most obvious of all. If poor kids aren't athletes, then maybe you can use an arbitrary milepost as a guide. If they can be athletic, a different metric is obviously called for.
you know its not if the are athletic You know its an issue. you know the facts have been around for awhile and in every state they show this, you know this but you will fight it because it may effect your school It will effect mine also but it is the fairest system used for classification

The most obvious of all. If poor kids aren't athletes, then maybe you can use an arbitrary milepost as a guide. If they can be athletic, a different metric is obviously called for.
Disadvantaged kids have poorer nutrition, less opportunities that cost $, less paid lessons, have less $ to purchase equipment, etc.
That's a fact, if you argue, you're blowing hot air.
Do those equal success in all cases, no. I've seen plenty of disillusioned parents burn $ trying to make their kids stars when there's no chance it will happen. But paying for the opportunities to get better isn't an option for a large portion of the population of some districts.
But I'd also guess that you subscribe to the thought that it's just kids working hard & better coaching.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
As a reference, here's the schools with free/reduced % less than 15%
Skutt, Elkhorn South, Omaha Duschene, Linc Lutheran, St Cecilia, Lutheran High NE, Marian, Gretna, Elkhorn North, Kearney Cath, Cedar Catholic, Norris, Pius, Scotus, Millard West, Bennington, Humphrey, Malcolm.
There are 41 schools that aren't listed as well.

Disadvantaged kids have poorer nutrition, less opportunities that cost $, less paid lessons, have less $ to purchase equipment, etc.
That's a fact, if you argue, you're blowing hot air.
Do those equal success in all cases, no. I've seen plenty of disillusioned parents burn $ trying to make their kids stars when there's no chance it will happen. But paying for the opportunities to get better isn't an option for a large portion of the population of some districts.
But I'd also guess that you subscribe to the thought that it's just kids working hard & better coaching.
If that is true, the number would HAVE to bear out at the level past High School as well. Prove to me that poor kids are less represented at the D1 level and then we'll talk. Using tired, old sterotypes to excuse awful culture and hideous coaching doesn't cut it, just because you say so. I would argue a LOT of factors affect those things far more than SIMPLY (in every sense of the word) using income status.

you know its not if the are athletic You know its an issue. you know the facts have been around for awhile and in every state they show this, you know this but you will fight it because it may effect your school It will effect mine also but it is the fairest system used for classification
So...just poor, UNATHLETIC kids are at a disadvantage in sports? Poor ATHLETIC kids aren't? Got it.

If that is true, the number would HAVE to bear out at the level past High School as well. Prove to me that poor kids are less represented at the D1 level and then we'll talk. Using tired, old sterotypes to excuse awful culture and hideous coaching doesn't cut it, just because you say so. I would argue a LOT of factors affect those things far more than SIMPLY (in every sense of the word) using income status.
I believe that research paper I posted above does prove that "poor kids" are less represented at the D1 Level.

The factor that must be considered is that a resounding % of the D1 level players come from areas of socio-economic disadvantage, and these areas are the most densely populated. In other words, there is a much larger pool of kids in these areas. Take a random Class A school in Nebraska. 3 of their players take D1 offers. That is 3 players from a roster of maybe 200 kids. Remember that these schools have Freshmen Teams, JV Teams, and Varsity Teams. In addition, they have players that may otherwise be participating that get cut. We could be looking at 3 kids out of a potential pool of 300 or 400 if we go all the way back to middle school. So even more D1 players come from these geographical areas, the percentage is extremely low.

Another factor worth throwing in here is that we aren't really talking about D1 Athletes in this thread. We are talking about team success at the HS level. There can be really good players on really bad teams, and they move on to the D1 level. Ernest Hausman would be a great example of this. 1 kid from Columbus gets a D1 offer last year. He played on a .500 team that did not even make the playoffs. He got that offer because of his raw athleticism, not because of his superior understanding and seasoning as it relates to football.

You and I typically see things in a similar way. You obviously are a bit more direct in your communication style 😂 but your message is typically one that I clearly understand even if I don't agree. If you see this data differently, please tell me and tell me why. This stuff is really interesting to me, and we can all learn a lot from one another.

Sure.. Take 2% of the HS athletes who move on to play D1 and use that data point, sounds reasonable.
A quick search online (2012 was the year I found) showed 18% of D1 athletes received Pell grants.

Sure.. Take 2% of the HS athletes who move on to play D1 and use that data point, sounds reasonable.
A quick search online (2012 was the year I found) showed 18% of D1 athletes received Pell grants.
I like the logic, but the Pell Grant data is a rough one to use (in my opinion). Volleyball, Baseball, Softball, Basketball (to a degree), Tennis, Bowling, Golf, Gymnastics ...... these are all "sports of the rich". These sports will really tug that Pell Grant number down.

I could be wrong about this. Just my opinion.

I like the logic, but the Pell Grant data is a rough one to use (in my opinion). Volleyball, Baseball, Softball, Basketball (to a degree), Tennis, Bowling, Golf, Gymnastics ...... these are all "sports of the rich". These sports will really tug that Pell Grant number down.

I could be wrong about this. Just my opinion.
Agreed, just going with the #s I found.

I believe that research paper I posted above does prove that "poor kids" are less represented at the D1 Level.

The factor that must be considered is that a resounding % of the D1 level players come from areas of socio-economic disadvantage, and these areas are the most densely populated. In other words, there is a much larger pool of kids in these areas. Take a random Class A school in Nebraska. 3 of their players take D1 offers. That is 3 players from a roster of maybe 200 kids. Remember that these schools have Freshmen Teams, JV Teams, and Varsity Teams. In addition, they have players that may otherwise be participating that get cut. We could be looking at 3 kids out of a potential pool of 300 or 400 if we go all the way back to middle school. So even more D1 players come from these geographical areas, the percentage is extremely low.

Another factor worth throwing in here is that we aren't really talking about D1 Athletes in this thread. We are talking about team success at the HS level. There can be really good players on really bad teams, and they move on to the D1 level. Ernest Hausman would be a great example of this. 1 kid from Columbus gets a D1 offer last year. He played on a .500 team that did not even make the playoffs. He got that offer because of his raw athleticism, not because of his superior understanding and seasoning as it relates to football.

You and I typically see things in a similar way. You obviously are a bit more direct in your communication style 😂 but your message is typically one that I clearly understand even if I don't agree. If you see this data differently, please tell me and tell me why. This stuff is really interesting to me, and we can all learn a lot from one another.
very well put. they wont stay on topic because they have no case, no matter what facts you show people some will never except it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT