ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Shot Clock in Classes C1, C2, D1 and D2

Hardwood, why is it long overdue?
Because compared to other states our smaller class basketball game is SLOW, there is something to be said about teams being patient but our kids are behind in the game of basketball. A lot of team that are fully SLOW IT DOWN actually have the athletes and players to play fast and more up tempo the coaching staffs just don't need to implement the faster pace of play because of no shot clock. It is also hard for kids adjusting to playing at the next level. It doesnt need to be a fast shot clock off the bat but a team holding a possesion for 3-4 minutes is just a snooz fest. I know, I know the defense needs to apply pressure to take that stall game away.

Exactly my thoughts!!

Biggest thing is to keep advancing th game. Sure there will be some hiccups along the way but in the long run it will improve the quality of the game

Reactions: northeastNebraska
I personally believe it will be a mistake. The bottom end of the smaller classes will struggle horribly with this. It will be an overall failure but will look really good in Lincoln in March.

If a team wants to put the ball up every 10 seconds, they can do that now. @Center Panthers already said it, but if you want the ball back so bad then go take it.

basketball in the smaller classes is not very good, it's almost like they don't pick up a basketball until practice starts, this is in both boys and girls, a shot clock is not going to remedy that situation. bad idea

basketball in the smaller classes is not very good, it's almost like they don't pick up a basketball until practice starts, this is in both boys and girls, a shot clock is not going to remedy that situation. bad idea
Have you ever heard the phrase in golf: If you are going to play bad, play bad fast!

Serious question, What will be better with a shot clock?
If you want scoring, there hasn't been any teams in the last 20 years finish in the top 20 of scoring PPG average. Many of the teams on that top 20 didn't have the 3 point line either. I think the rules & physicality of the game now is what hurts it, not getting a shot up every 35 seconds. Just my .02

Reactions: GoSkers3
If you want scoring, there hasn't been any teams in the last 20 years finish in the top 20 of scoring PPG average. Many of the teams on that top 20 didn't have the 3 point line either. I think the rules & physicality of the game now is what hurts it, not getting a shot up every 35 seconds. Just my .02
Thats a fair assessment, if you are refering to calling too many little fouls I can agree. Some of the best games I watched a year ago were ones where very few fouls were called and they let the physicality go up without letting it turn into a football game. I dont think the shot clock will create better basketball across the board, but when you get kids like John Mitchell from creighton who could drop 60 in a night in class D and the gameplan against him is lets hold the ball for 80% of the game and make it so he only gets a few possesions so the scores look better thats what I am hoping it gets rid of. The stall ball aspect. Lot of guys like that over the last 10 years have suffered not just from not being able to have possesions but also the transition to the college game where its WAY faster.

Reactions: Hardwoodbeaver
I was going to comment similarly......part of the reason scoring is down over the last 20+ years is due to how much more physical and aggressive defenses have allowed to become. A shot clock won't overcome that.

I was going to comment similarly......part of the reason scoring is down over the last 20+ years is due to how much more physical and aggressive defenses have allowed to become. A shot clock won't overcome that.
This is also true compared to how I talked about there not being so many calls for physicality when its both teams. However when it is just one team being hyper physical on defense especially with trap defenses getting away with a mugging every possesion that is also ruining things. I specifically remember a threaed last year that dealt with officiating and the inconsistency of that (as well as how fans have seemed to grow nastier since pre covid haha). Physicality in both ends of the spectrum is for sure hurting the scoring. I do however think that games where a team refuses to shoot outside and only wants an inside look so will stall till they get it playing a team sitting back in a 2-3 zone daring them to shoot for 3 minutes also is not helping inflate the scoring. Why develop a shooter if you arent forced to actually get a shot up in a set amount of time. Good point with the agressive defenses though I agree with that hurting scoring and impacting the game.

To unify the game in all classes. It’s the same reason I’m not a fan of 8 man football. It’s hard for those kids to adapt at next level.
It will make the kids better over time by having to “play the game” rather than be forced to run a system.
Make sense!

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
To unify the game in all classes. It’s the same reason I’m not a fan of 8 man football. It’s hard for those kids to adapt at next level.
It will make the kids better over time by having to “play the game” rather than be forced to run a system.
Make sense!
There is no Next Level for 99% of these kids. I don't believe game unification really matters when 99% of the players are done after HS graduation.

Thats a fair assessment, if you are refering to calling too many little fouls I can agree. Some of the best games I watched a year ago were ones where very few fouls were called and they let the physicality go up without letting it turn into a football game. I dont think the shot clock will create better basketball across the board, but when you get kids like John Mitchell from creighton who could drop 60 in a night in class D and the gameplan against him is lets hold the ball for 80% of the game and make it so he only gets a few possesions so the scores look better thats what I am hoping it gets rid of. The stall ball aspect. Lot of guys like that over the last 10 years have suffered not just from not being able to have possesions but also the transition to the college game where its WAY faster.
The lower Class kids that are of the skill level to move up to the college game are getting their prep work done in the Summer via Club or AAU type teams. No Shot Clock in the HS Class has no bearing on this. These kids are getting found in the Summer Programs.

I would rather see a more enforced Closely Guarded rule. This would prevent the Game Planning of the Stall, and also force teams to come out and play defense rather than just sit back.

Reactions: CenterPanthers57
The lower Class kids that are of the skill level to move up to the college game are getting their prep work done in the Summer via Club or AAU type teams. No Shot Clock in the HS Class has no bearing on this. These kids are getting found in the Summer Programs.

I would rather see a more enforced Closely Guarded rule. This would prevent the Game Planning of the Stall, and also force teams to come out and play defense rather than just sit back.
I do agree this would be a better step in the right direction, but that’s not the rule being proposed unfortunately

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT