ADVERTISEMENT

Traveling Teams

How many points do you think home field advantage is worth?

• Total voters
A 2 - 3 hour bus ride might not make that big of a difference...

But a 4 - 5.5 hour bus ride could make a big difference, especially depending on how early the bus gets to the game for the players to get out of the bus ride funk.

Reactions: EndzoneView
A 2 - 3 hour bus ride might not make that big of a difference...

But a 4 - 5.5 hour bus ride could make a big difference, especially depending on how early the bus gets to the game for the players to get out of the bus ride funk.
Honestly I don't think it's that big of a deal. I've seen several schools drive a long way for a game and come home with a huge victory. When you have a long road trip it's just the players, coaches and managers. It's a great team bonding time and all of the outside distractions are gone.

Plattsmouth traveling to ScoBlo affects the Blue Devils. Have to leave the day before. Stay in a hotel, stop for a walk through, all the things you don't do if you are at home.

Cedar Catholic has the worst road trip. 408 miles on a two lane highway to Mitchell. But I do think Cedar is the better team and they will win today.

In high school ball, I think it's an easy touchdown difference, particularly in playoffs when teams that are used to traveling 30-60 min for a game are suddenly going up to 4 or 5 hours for a game.
I think this is a key factor. Teams that travel a lot aren't terribly affected, IMO. Teams that don't are at a much bigger disadvantage. I remember hearing a few years back that St Pat's closest road game was Gibbon. Also had trips to Gordon, Mitchell, and Sutton, iirc. a 4 hour trip wouldn't have fazed those guys. Teams that don't travel much tend to arrive too early and it's just a new experience. And we all know how coaches LOVE "new"...

Plattsmouth traveling to ScoBlo affects the Blue Devils. Have to leave the day before. Stay in a hotel, stop for a walk through, all the things you don't do if you are at home.

Cedar Catholic has the worst road trip. 408 miles on a two lane highway to Mitchell. But I do think Cedar is the better team and they will win today.
Speaking of Mitchell, did some injuries happen out there? Noticed the OT think with Valentine, and then getting mauled by Gordon-Rushville. None of that jives with the first 7 weeks.

Why did they leave the day before? They had all day. Stop and have a walk through somewhere in the middle and get back on the bus.

Last edited:

Yeah, that is a brutal road trip. but the gauntlet that is northeast Nebraska C-2 tends to prepare those teams well to face their western foes.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Well, this is the 2nd week in a row that they’ve been mauled.
Crazy, I did not expect a 44-14 game. Just a few short weeks ago some were speculating Mitchell being a number one seed. Injuries are definitely a part of the game. But so is depth, and having a regular season schedule where you are tempered by fire

I expected at least a two score game after watching some of Mitchell’s game last week against Gordon Rushville. I just didn’t think Mitchell had the athletes to play with Cedar Catholic.

I expected at least a two score game after watching some of Mitchell’s game last week against Gordon Rushville. I just didn’t think Mitchell had the athletes to play with Cedar Catholic.
I hear your 43. So what does your crystal ball say about Bergan and Malcolm?

I think Malcolm wins by 2 scores.
Battle Creek is up big late in the 2nd quarter. Might have 3 schools from the same district playing in the quarter finals next week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT