ADVERTISEMENT

Football Where do you prefer state championship games to be played?

Where do you prefer state championship games to be played?

• Memorial Stadium

Votes: 55 45.5%
  • at Highest Seed

Votes: 44 36.4%
  • Other Neutral Site

Votes: 21 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Alum-Ni

All-State
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
Curious what everyone's thoughts are.

Personally, I LOVE the finals being played on a home field. I know athletes love and look forward to playing at Memorial Stadium, but man just can't be the atmosphere at a packed local school field, IMO.

Prior to Memorial Stadium, the finals were played at home sites, but not by seed, rather it alternated every year between the finalist who was located furthest east one year, and furthest west the next year.

Reactions: Bubman86
You ask any kid that is going to play for the state championship where they want to play and they won’t have to even think a second before they say Memorial Stadium. This is the culmination of years of hard work and dedication for the kids and coaches. They should be a rewarded with a chance to play in the greatest stadium in the state.
I personally think playing at the higher seed or alternating between East and West comes with an unfair advantages. First and foremost you are playing with a home field advantage for one school than the other and in a state championship game, play it on a neutral field so both teams will be on equal footing instead of giving one team an advantage. Secondly, the driving distances weren’t that terrible for this year, but last year in Class B Skutt would’ve had to drive 6 hours and 30 minutes to play Scottsbluff. The argument can be made that all schools out West will have longer driving distances if the game is at Memorial, but I would argue back that schools and coaches would be willing to drive and play in Lincoln instead of traveling to a field without adequate seating, parking, or facilities.
Not looking to start on argument these are just my few thoughts on the topic!

Reactions: Schmidt1999
You ask any kid that is going to play for the state championship where they want to play and they won’t have to even think a second before they say Memorial Stadium. This is the culmination of years of hard work and dedication for the kids and coaches. They should be a rewarded with a chance to play in the greatest stadium in the state.
I personally think playing at the higher seed or alternating between East and West comes with an unfair advantages. First and foremost you are playing with a home field advantage for one school than the other and in a state championship game, play it on a neutral field so both teams will be on equal footing instead of giving one team an advantage. Secondly, the driving distances weren’t that terrible for this year, but last year in Class B Skutt would’ve had to drive 6 hours and 30 minutes to play Scottsbluff. The argument can be made that all schools out West will have longer driving distances if the game is at Memorial, but I would argue back that schools and coaches would be willing to drive and play in Lincoln instead of traveling to a field without adequate seating, parking, or facilities.
Not looking to start on argument these are just my few thoughts on the topic!
I Understand your thoughts, but I disagree that EVERY kid that played for a title tonight would have rather been at Memorial Stadium. In the past I’ve been scrutinized on this board for suggesting the games were better back at the home sites. I think more people would prefer to play at Memorial Stadium, but there are several kids and coaches that would prefer to play in front of their home fans, crowd, and community.

Boy this question got my attention... Always ask the kids first, all these HS sports are for the kids and their efforts for achievement. IMO - No reason neutral sites can‘t be utilized in Nebraska. I‘ve had a son in finals in BB and another son in Football over the last number of years. I believe Semi-finals up in either sport needs to happen at neutral sites (G-BB & VB as well). I’ve watched games from districts on up played in some real crap facilities, and the opponents like to exclaim it’s nostalgic to play there. “The ole field/gym was built after the big-war... it’s been good enough for me and my kids... blah blah blah”... meanwhile the dead spots in the floor/rim or the lack of drainage on the field, or grandma throws her hip out trying crawl through a lumber pile of a stand. You wanna find out what team has the players, coaches and hutzpah to be #1.... neutral sites eliminates home field excuses. I know there is the-state-is-so-big excuse. That’s where the NSAA and their $$ need to pony up... they with ADs can make it happen even if it’s Mitchell vs Auburn. This state has many excellent facilities coast to coast. Will it be perfect... nothing is. The NSAA wouldn‘t have to be held hostage to UNL’s over-charging of Memorial Stadium (yes it’s a neutral site too) and a guilt complex over Omaha and Lincoln. Other communities with facilities deemed worthy would aggressively welcome these games. Wether it’s inside sports or outdoors, I think of the many colleges; UNK, Wayne, Concordia, Neb Wes, Doane, Hastings, to name a few have what’s needed. There are many HS throughout the state with great gyms and fields, Omaha and Lincoln are littered with them. (I’m sure the new Elkhorn/Gretna facilities are good, swing by Kearney High if you want to see some major tax dollars at work -wow) Surrounding states seem to be able to manage this fluidly with their organizations....urban and rural. The NSAA can get off their throne and go make something happen. Go look at their financial statements... it’s public. They have a fairly large staff in a cool office. My years as a dad invested in HS sports is coming to a close; Ive seen a few games.... I know the Rona has messed up activities for kids. NSAA found the easy way out with highest seeds. They could have done better. Rant over

I worked the A-game tonight and to me, it's not even close. Having at Memorial is a much better experience for the players and it allows all the games to be broadcasted on TV.

The TV aspect is certainly an important aspect

The old man in me says the NSAA needs to allow the higher seed to host all rounds in all classes of the playoffs

I don't hate Memorial Stadium, but what I don't like about it is you have a championship game with even 4-5,000 fans, and the place is so large it just feels and sounds like a small crowd. The atmosphere is more intimate and intense, in my opinion, at a smaller facility.

I was at Pierce tonight, while it was unique, it didn’t feel like a state title game to me, IMO. The players deserve to play in Memorial Stadium. That’s a really cool reward for the kids. Playing on your home turf is cool, but I personally like Memorial Stadium.

My brother was also there....he said it was a good size crowd, but he's seen bigger crowds for Norfolk Catholic/Pierce games.

COVID probably had a role to play with some of that

play the finals at a school with turf. the atmosphere at Memorial is terrible, yes it's nice to get to play in the big stadium but it looks empty anyway so if Lincoln is going to host go to Seacrest or else play it at a site that has a nice field and the atmosphere will follow.

play the finals at a school with turf. the atmosphere at Memorial is terrible, yes it's nice to get to play in the big stadium but it looks empty anyway so if Lincoln is going to host go to Seacrest or else play it at a site that has a nice field and the atmosphere will follow.
Seacrest is not an award for the kids. That’s just like C2-D2 teams playing in basketball at Lincoln East. The “atmosphere” may seem better. But kids deserve to play on the big stage.

The TV aspect is certainly an important aspect

My only thing is I wish they could play on a Thursday-Friday or Friday-Saturday in Memorial vs. Monday-Tuesday. On years where Nebraska is on the road do Friday-Saturday and home game years play Thursday-Friday. I think it's much better to play these games on a Friday night than the Monday-Tuesday before Thanksgiving. So many more people would come down and maybe even get a hotel room, etc. and make a trip of it vs. the Monday-Tuesday set-up.

Reactions: nenebskers
Memorial stadium is great from a fan perspective. All games in one location if I want to go, or all games on tv. Players obviously love that one chance to play there as well.
Home fields far and away better if you’re looking for a great atmosphere.
This year I thought it would have been smart to spread the games out Thursday-Saturday, doubleheader’s each day at say 12pm or 2pm and 7pm. This would have allowed for streaming of all games with no overlapping. But hey, beggars can’t be choosers and we got a full season in and crowned 7 state champs in this wild year!

Foster Field at UNK is growing more and more appealing to me. Good facility and on a college campus which gives it somewhat of big time feel. Its great for classes C1 and smaller. Unfortunately it's too small for A and probably B. Also, with A being so much focused around Omaha and Lincoln areas it doesn't make sense as attendance would be affected.

Totally agree on getting away from the early week games. Wish it was on Thursday, Friday, or Saturdays.

It was brought up earlier about neutral sites for semifinal games. Yes, there are enough quality facilities around the state, either small college or the larger high schools, to make it work.

Watching South Dakota and Iowa, they have a great setup. Both use dome facilities, USD and UNI. They give the big game feel in a quality venue. South Dakota actually used SDSU last year as the Dakota Dome was being renovated. Good, large facilities but not gigantic like Memorial Stadium that it feels empty. They can handle the seating demands for the largest classes, almost feeling like a sellout but also small enough to make the lower classes feel like the place is pretty full.

I called the D2 game last night and while the atmosphere in Shickley was great and all things considered it was pretty well run, those sites just can't compete with Memorial from a sheer logistical standpoint. And from talking with the Sandhills/Thedford coaches there were several people on that side who were really disappointed about not getting to play on the big field. Especially the seniors for whom this was their only chance.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
When it comes to venue location, you have to ask, who are you doing this for. I would say for the student athlete that puts in all the time. If that is the case then its easy ,Memorial Stadium. If you polled ever high school football players in the state, I am betting 90% would say the same.

If it's about the NSAA making money then wouldn't they make more money by having it at home sites rather than Memorial Stadium? They wouldn't have to pay rent on facilities and other things. And I think more local people, nearby towns included, are going to attend a game at a home site rather than driving to Lincoln to watch a game.
I can see both sides but would lean more towards having the games in Lincoln. And that is primarily because if it is for the kids 99.99% would want to play at Memorial Stadium. And that percentage is probably low.

If it's about the NSAA making money then wouldn't they make more money by having it at home sites rather than Memorial Stadium? They wouldn't have to pay rent on facilities and other things. And I think more local people, nearby towns included, are going to attend a game at a home site rather than driving to Lincoln to watch a game.
I can see both sides but would lean more towards having the games in Lincoln. And that is primarily because if it is for the kids 99.99% would want to play at Memorial Stadium. And that percentage is probably low.
Lucky to have been an assistant in a couple state title games and I know for a fact the boys on those teams and myself would not trade those experiences at Memorial Stadium for an opportunity to play on our home field in front of our fans. Memorial Stadium is special and a great destination at the end of the road.

Don’t forget instant replay was added last year as well. I saw a couple plays in the DCS/Burwell game where instant replay would have been nice (for both sides). Needs to stay at UNL, just my opinion.

Lucky to have been an assistant in a couple state title games and I know for a fact the boys on those teams and myself would not trade those experiences at Memorial Stadium for an opportunity to play on our home field in front of our fans. Memorial Stadium is special and a great destination at the end of the road.

Don’t forget instant replay was added last year as well. I saw a couple plays in the DCS/Burwell game where instant replay would have been nice (for both sides). Needs to stay at UNL, just my opinion.

Good point on the replay.

Of course the counter argument is, there is no instant replay the rest of the season, why should it matter for the title games? Don't get me wrong....if you have the tools, use them IMO.

This is a fascinating discussion and poll.

Most interesting thing about this thread to me is that right now there have been 40 votes for places that are NOT Memorial Stadium (neutral, higher seed, other) and 35 votes for Memorial Stadium. The vote says more people don't want to play the final at Memorial Stadium, but the comments in the thread suggest otherwise. Seems those that are passionate about this topic are on the Memorial Stadium side.

I'd love to see at least 8 and 6 man go to UNK. I think Kearney would support the heck out of those games and pack that place. Atmosphere would be unmatched. I do understand the aspect of kids getting to play at Memorial but honestly its a state championship. I'd hope those kids would play it in a parking lot if they had too. As someone who has been fortunate to watch one be won on our home field (early 90's), watched us play in 3 more and also coached in 1 in Lincoln, at the end of the day its a state championship. I honestly was a little underwhelmed from the experience at Memorial. It's pretty cool but just a bad atmosphere for 8 man football in my honest opinion.

Most interesting thing about this thread to me is that right now there have been 40 votes for places that are NOT Memorial Stadium (neutral, higher seed, other) and 35 votes for Memorial Stadium. The vote says more people don't want to play the final at Memorial Stadium, but the comments in the thread suggest otherwise. Seems those that are passionate about this topic are on the Memorial Stadium side.
I bet people do not want it at Memorial BUT what do the players want, ask any coach they want it at Memorial

Leave it at Memorial. We don't play state volleyball finals, or state basketball finals at home sites. Why should football be any different?
Apples to Oranges here. For most of class A and B the entire state tournament for volleyball and basketball is played in the same facility that Nebraska plays in. Based on this logic, all class A and class B football playoff games should be played at Memorial Stadium. Good luck with that.

All I mentioned were the finals, I didn't say anything about the other rounds of the state tournament. Please let me know where in my post I said anything about playing all of the games in Lincoln.
I understand that, but you are referencing two tournaments that play every game (class A and B) of the state tournament in the University's Arena, then saying these sports play their finals there....why shouldn't football. Using that logic, someone could argue that because volleyball and basketball play every game of the state tournament at the Devaney or The Vault now football should be able to play every round at Memorial.

Only person drawing that logic is someone who struggles with reading comprehension. Again I did not reference the entire state basketball or volleyball tournament. Just the finals. I underlined it and put it in bold print for you.

Obviously you are against the finals being at Memorial or at a neutral site.

Only person drawing that logic is someone who struggles with reading comprehension. Again I did not reference the entire state basketball or volleyball tournament. Just the finals. I underlined it and put it in bold print for you.

Obviously you are against the finals being at Memorial or at a neutral site.
Yes, I am against it. I won a state title in 1999 at Memorial Stadium and I would have much preferred to win it on our home field. The voters agree with me.

As for the topic of you and I’s debate...I will say this. If we play the finals in Lincoln at Memorial than every game should be played there, just like basketball and volleyball. They get it, why shouldn’t football?

No...I don’t really believe that. Just because one sport gets something doesn’t mean another should. That’s a ridiculously stupid way to justify something.

Reactions: orafino
Be honest do you really think the kids dont want it at Memorial Stadium ?
I think more kids would rather play at Memorial Stadium, but I don’t think kids live and breath Nebraska football like they did when the finals originally moved there. Don’t forget they moved in 1996, which was after back to back national titles. Then we shared a title the next year and played for another title a few years later (2001). Most HS football players wanted to play at Nebraska over anywhere else, but they knew they never would. Playing in the stadium was the closest thing to it.

Reactions: Ruttingbuck
I'm with Buff-alo, I'm sure at least 90% of the kids would want to play there. Coached there in 3 finals. I wouldn't have wanted to play it anywhere else and I don't care at all about the college team that plays there.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
I've been lucky enough to coach numerous State Championship games in Memorial Stadium. I to was skeptical at first if the games should be played at the cavernous Memorial Stadium. After seeing the excitement on my players faces when we arrived I was convinced that this is where we should play all of the championship games. Ask any kid or coach that played in one of the six championships this year, would they have rather played a Pierce, Fremont, Shickley, Burwell, Westside, Elkhorn or play in Lincoln? I would bet that it would be almost unanimous to play in Memorial Stadium.

Reactions: runningback43
I totally agree.... I bet there were a lot of disappointed kids (especially Seniors) how had been working hard all year to make it to that game. Yes a State Title game is a State Title game, I get that. They kids still played hard and there were still great games with good atmospheres. Memorial Stadium just makes it a little more special is all. Would also like to point out the professional NSAA broadcast of the games in that stadium that didn't happen this year. I have DVD copies of both games from 06 and 07, it's definitely a keepsake that I'm glad to have.

I'd love to see at least 8 and 6 man go to UNK. I think Kearney would support the heck out of those games and pack that place. Atmosphere would be unmatched. I do understand the aspect of kids getting to play at Memorial but honestly its a state championship. I'd hope those kids would play it in a parking lot if they had too. As someone who has been fortunate to watch one be won on our home field (early 90's), watched us play in 3 more and also coached in 1 in Lincoln, at the end of the day its a state championship. I honestly was a little underwhelmed from the experience at Memorial. It's pretty cool but just a bad atmosphere for 8 man football in my honest opinion.
Played at Memorial 3 times and watched my brothers and cousins another 7 times. While we'd play at home, or in a parking lot if we had too, we all wanted to play in one of the greatest stadiums there is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT