Hastings (11-12) at Omaha Skutt (16-6)

B-5 (Feb. 24)
Omaha Gross (10-12) at Elkhorn (16-4)

B-6 (Feb. 24)
Gering (8-15) at Omaha Roncalli (16-8)

B-7 (Feb. 24)
Waverly (10-12) at Bennington (16-8)

B-8 (Feb. 24)
Platteview (13-10) at Elkhorn North (13-7)

===============================

CLASS C1

C1-1 (Feb. 26)

Columbus Scotus (11-13) at Omaha Concordia (23-2)

C1-2 (Feb. 24)
Minden (10-12) at Ashland-Greenwood (23-2)

C1-3 (Feb. 27 at Seward)
Battle Creek (11-11) vs. Auburn (25-0)

C1-4 (Feb. 24 at Gothenburg)
Malcolm (18-7) vs. Sidney (21-2)

C1-5 (Feb. 26 at Kearney)
Conestoga (21-3) vs. Ogallala (21-4)

C1-6 (Feb. 26)
Wayne (21-5) at Wahoo (19-5)

C1-7 (Feb. 26 at Central City)
Cozad (22-4) vs. Douglas County West (21-3)

C1-8 (Feb. 24)
Fillmore Central (20-3) at Doniphan-Trumbull (21-2)

CLASS C2

C2-1 (Feb. 27)

Mead (17-8) at Amherst (22-2)

C2-2 (Feb. 26 at Albion)
Hastings St. Cecilia (13-10) vs. Ponca (21-2)

C2-3 (Feb. 27)
Lutheran High Northeast (19-5) at Hartington Cedar Catholic (18-6)

C2-4 (Feb. 26)
Tri County (17-5) at Lincoln Lutheran (16-8)

C2-5 (Feb. 26)
North Bend Central (17-6) at Cross County (21-5)

C2-6 (Feb. 27 at Kearney Catholic)
Perkins County (19-6) vs. Summerland (20-3)

C2-7 (Feb. 24 at Kearney)
Bridgeport (20-5) vs. Freeman (17-6)

C2-8 (Feb. 26)
Norfolk Catholic (16-8) vs. Sandy Creek (20-5)

CLASS D1

D1-1 (Feb. 26)

Overton (13-11) at North Platte St. Patrick's (20-3)

D1-2 (Feb. 24)
Elmwood-Murdock (11-13) at Johnson-Brock (24-0)

D1-3 (Feb. 24)
Cambridge (15-10) at Ansley/Litchfield (19-3)

D1-4 (Feb. 24)
Riverside (18-7) at McCool Junction (19-3)

D1-5 (Feb. 27)
Guardian Angels Central Catholic (12-13) at Howells-Dodge (18-6)

D1-6 (Feb. 24)
Axtell (18-6) at Ainsworth (17-7)

D1-7 (Feb. 27 at Southern Valley)
Sutton (14-10) vs. Dundy County-Stratton (21-5)

D1-8 (Feb. 27)
Plainview (16-7) at South Loup (16-5)

CLASS D2

D2-1 (Feb. 27)

Anselmo-Merna (8-16) at Shelton (22-1)

D2-2 (Feb. 24)
Potter-Dix (11-11) at Maywood/Hayes Center (21-3)

D2-3 (Feb. 24)
Lawrence-Nelson (14-10) at Sumner-Eddyville-Miller (16-7)

D2-4 (Feb. 24)
High Plains (16-7) at Walthill (17-4)

D2-5 (Feb. 26)
Paxton (15-9) at Elm Creek (15-8)

D2-6 (Feb. 26 at Ainsworth)
Hay Springs (17-6) vs. Wynot (16-7)

D2-7 (Feb. 26 at Burwell)
Humphrey St. Francis (16-7) vs. Hyannis (20-3)

D2-8 (Feb. 26 at Madison)
Parkview Christian (18-5) vs. O'Neill St. Mary's (17-6)

Last edited:
Only one of the eight District Finals matchups in Class B is between two teams with winning records.

Last edited:
my prediction for C-2 is to go chalk except Tri County and Norfolk Catholic.

That LL/TC draw is tough luck. I could see it going either way. A darn good team is gonna get left at home.

One one of the eight District Finals matchups in Class B is between two teams with winning records.
They need to expand Class B. It’s ridiculous how many good C1 teams will be left out for a chance to play for a district title and how many under .500 teams are playing for one.

Wahoo, AG, Ogallala, Concordia, Cozad, Auburn, DC West could hold their own in B.

Reactions: saluno22
They need to expand Class B. It’s ridiculous how many good C1 teams will be left out for a chance to play for a district title and how many under .500 teams are playing for one.

Wahoo, AG, Ogallala, Concordia, Cozad, Auburn, DC West could hold their own in B.
100% agree. Maybe it's just a collective down year in B, but it's embarrassing to see so few teams with a winning record. The class needs more teams.

Thoughts on consolidating back to four classes in basketball like exists in wrestling and track?

Maybe have Class A with a threshold of combined boys and girls enrollment, then equally divide the rest of the schools into however many classes? The current arrangement where the 60 largest schools make up A and B but then schools with enrollment above the threshold are in A (and opt ups?) has contributed to this situation.

100% agree. Maybe it's just a collective down year in B, but it's embarrassing to see so few teams with a winning record. The class needs more teams.

Thoughts on consolidating back to four classes in basketball like exists in wrestling and track?

Maybe have Class A with a threshold of combined boys and girls enrollment, then equally divide the rest of the schools into however many classes? The current arrangement where the 60 largest schools make up A and B but then schools with enrollment above the threshold are in A (and opt ups?) has contributed to this situation.

You both make some good points, but the bigger issue is how many Class B programs are just atrocious when it comes to the sport of basketball.

Ralston is a perfect example. They have the biggest boys enrollment in the class, and should always be competitive solely due to numbers alone.

You both make some good points, but the bigger issue is how many Class B programs are just atrocious when it comes to the sport of basketball.

Ralston is a perfect example. They have the biggest boys enrollment in the class, and should always be competitive solely due to numbers alone.
To pile on...

The two largest schools in B by boys enrollment (2023-24) are South Sioux City (438) and Ralston (428). They went a combined 4-42 (Ralston 4-19, SSC 0-23). Ralston won a 45-44 pillow fight at home against SSC.

Other Ralston wins were 73-57 at home against B Nebraska City (3-20), 48-46 neutral site over C1 Louisville (10-13), and 51-32 at home against B Schuyler (0-20).

As an alum of another B school who had an atrocious season and follow them casually through having friends working at the school, it was miserable seeing how bad B was in general and to think the team I want to support still couldn't get it together enough times.

Reactions: Cornicator
i don't see LHNE beating HCC, HCC has the size advantage and has played a much tougher schedule.

Maybe have Class A with a threshold of combined boys and girls enrollment, then equally divide the rest of the schools into however many classes? The current arrangement where the 60 largest schools make up A and B but then schools with enrollment above the threshold are in A (and opt ups?) has contributed to this s4 Classes for Basketball makes sense ituation.
4 Classes makes sense to me.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Is D1 really wide open?

Johnson-Brock has won 32 straight games and they're the reigning state champs. They've also won their last 50 games vs class D schools. 50 straight!
they are definitely the favorite! I think there are a couple dark horse teams that could make a deep run

First big upset of district finals
Riverside beats McCool Junction

D1 is wide open this year
C1 is brutally competitive from 1-5
C2 is down this year
I think Elmwood Murdock played JB tough in the district final. What about Ainsworth? Half the field is already set in Lincoln for D1. Who will be joining the other 4?

Reactions: Hardwoodbeaver
I think Elmwood Murdock played JB tough in the district final. What about Ainsworth? Half the field is already set in Lincoln for D1. Who will be joining the other 4?
JB is in a league of their own it seems like....but Ainsworth is quite the wildcard. They will be underseeded due to losing while CN was absent at AA football stuff.

JB is in a league of their own it seems like....but Ainsworth is quite the wildcard. They will be underseeded due to losing while CN was absent at AA football stuff.
Ainsworth is very interesting. On any given night Nelson is their 3rd best player. They have the least depth of any team in the field, and it's not close. If the Appelt kid can stay out of foul trouble they will be right in the hunt. My question is do we put St. Pats up there with JB? If so, you have to put Ainsworth in that tier as well looking at one set of scores particularly.

-St. Pats 50 vs. Bridgeport 54 (state qualifier in C2)
-Bridgeport 63 vs. Ainsworth 71

Ainsworth is very interesting. On any given night Nelson is their 3rd best player. They have the least depth of any team in the field, and it's not close. If the Appelt kid can stay out of foul trouble they will be right in the hunt. My question is do we put St. Pats up there with JB? If so, you have to put Ainsworth in that tier as well looking at one set of scores particularly.

-St. Pats 50 vs. Bridgeport 54 (state qualifier in C2)
-Bridgeport 63 vs. Ainsworth 71
NPSP also beat Bridgeport the first time they played on the road by 6.

NPSP also beat Cozad by 15 (holding them to 40 points), while Ainsworth lost to them by 6.

Besides Nelson, I don't think there is a more dynamic post player in D1 than Brecken Erickson at St. Pat's. Kid is a double double machine and very hard to defend.

For me, NPSP and Ainsworth are 2a and 2b behind JB. I do think the ceiling for Ainsworth is maybe a little higher than NPSP, but NPSP is probably more consistent.

Erickson is a dude.

NPSP also beat Bridgeport the first time they played on the road by 6.

NPSP also beat Cozad by 15 (holding them to 40 points), while Ainsworth lost to them by 6.

Besides Nelson, I don't think there is a more dynamic post player in D1 than Brecken Erickson at St. Pat's. Kid is a double double machine and very hard to defend.

Nelson isn't really a post player. If he played for a Class A school, he would be their starting point guard.

Ainsworth is a matchup nightmare for a team that depends on needed production from a post player. Why? Because Nelson is 6'5 with a 40 inch vertical and can block shots without making any contact. That's just not something teams ever see in Class D basketball.

Appelt, who is also just a hair under 6'5 is also a matchup nightmare because he's actually a very skilled true post who can throw it down like he did vs. Bridgeport.

Axtell had a 6'5 senior who came into that game averaging nearly a double double at 13 and 10 per game. Ainsworth held him to 5 points, 5 rebounds, and he nearly fouled out.

Teams that are guard heavy and can run will be Kryptonite for Ainsworth. I think a team like Johnson-Brock where every player on the floor can shoot the ball well from the perimeter could give them fits.

Speaking of Bridgeport.. Did anyone see the Bridgeport vs. Freeman game? I'm not necessarily surprised that Bridgeport won the game, but I am surprised by the scoring margin and the box score. Bridgeport dominated the game and their top two scorers only combined for 13 points. What the hell happened in that game?

Nelson isn't really a post player. If he played for a Class A school, he would be their starting point guard.

Ainsworth is a matchup nightmare for a team that depends on needed production from a post player. Why? Because Nelson is 6'5 with a 40 inch vertical and can block shots without making any contact. That's just not something teams ever see in Class D basketball.

Appelt, who is also just a hair under 6'5 is also a matchup nightmare because he's actually a very skilled true post who can throw it down like he did vs. Bridgeport.

Axtell had a 6'5 senior who came into that game averaging nearly a double double at 13 and 10 per game. Ainsworth held him to 5 points, 5 rebounds, and he nearly fouled out.

Teams that are guard heavy and can run will be Kryptonite for Ainsworth. I think a team like Johnson-Brock where every player on the floor can shoot the ball well from the perimeter could give them fits.

Speaking of Bridgeport.. Did anyone see the Bridgeport vs. Freeman game? I'm not necessarily surprised that Bridgeport won the game, but I am surprised by the scoring margin and the box score. Bridgeport dominated the game and their top two scorers only combined for 13 points. What the hell happened in that game?
Bridgeport played a sort of unique 1-2-2 zone in the half court, and I truly don't think Freeman ever figured out how to attack it with any sort of success. Freeman scored 1 point in the final 10 minutes of the game. Bridgeport was fantastic defensively, and truly their effort and energy for extra possessions and loose balls throughout the game was impressive. They looked like the better team, and definitely weren't intimidated by the name on the front of the jersey of the opposing team, which can be a big deal with how young the core of Bridgeport's team is.

Reactions: Cornicator
Bridgeport played a sort of unique 1-2-2 zone in the half court, and I truly don't think Freeman ever figured out how to attack it with any sort of success. Freeman scored 1 point in the final 10 minutes of the game. Bridgeport was fantastic defensively, and truly their effort and energy for extra possessions and loose balls throughout the game was impressive. They looked like the better team, and definitely weren't intimidated by the name on the front of the jersey of the opposing team, which can be a big deal with how young the core of Bridgeport's team is.

Yeah Bridgeport is going to be good for a long time.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Huskerland Preps won't be the same without the annual Parkview Christian hate thread.

In honor of this tradition, should a new hated team be adopted, let it slide this year, or pile on even though they lost in their District Final.

What is the proper protocol here?

Yep, Freeman had no answer for the zone and just plain had a bad day shooting (Bridgeport defense deserves a lot of credit for that). Freeman doesn’t really have a post presence and was an outside shooting team. Sometimes the shots just don’t fall.

Numbers are nowhere near the top factor in basketball success. Basketball success is built around opportunity and ability to take advantage of opportunity. Look at wealth levels, not enrollment numbers. You will see much greater correlation with basketball success. I haven't followed this season closely, but I would wager that few of these teams played in district finals, and still fewer won:
HARVARD HIGH SCHOOL
OMAHA CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL
OMAHA STREET SCHOOL
BUENA VISTA HIGH SCHOOL
THEDFORD HIGH SCHOOL
LEXINGTON HIGH SCHOOL
ELBA SECONDARY SCHOOL
ANSLEY HIGH SCHOOL
BAYARD SECONDARY SCHOOL
ST EDWARD HIGH SCHOOL
DUNDY CO STRATTON HIGH SCHOOL
SOUTH SIOUX HIGH SCHOOL
BANCROFT-ROSALIE JR/SR HIGH SCHOOL
GRAND ISLAND SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
WAUNETA-PALISADE HIGH SCHOOL
LINCOLN HIGH SCHOOL
BRIDGEPORT HIGH SCHOOL
SUPERIOR SR HIGH SCHOOL
FRANKLIN HIGH SCHOOL
LINCOLN NORTHEAST HIGH SCHOOL
MORRILL HIGH SCHOOL
GORDON-RUSHVILLE HIGH SCHOOL
BURKE HIGH SCHOOL
MADISON HIGH SCHOOL
LOUP COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL
SCRIBNER-SNYDER SECONDARY SCH
SCHUYLER CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL
CRAWFORD HIGH SCHOOL
FREMONT SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
WAKEFIELD HIGH SCHOOL
SOUTHERN JR-SR HIGH SCHOOL
CENTRAL VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL
LOUP CITY HIGH SCHOOL
CREEK VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL
PAWNEE CITY SECONDARY SCHOOL

Numbers are nowhere near the top factor in basketball success. Basketball success is built around opportunity and ability to take advantage of opportunity. Look at wealth levels, not enrollment numbers. You will see much greater correlation with basketball success. I haven't followed this season closely, but I would wager that few of these teams played in district finals, and still fewer won:
HARVARD HIGH SCHOOL
OMAHA STREET SCHOOL
BUENA VISTA HIGH SCHOOL
THEDFORD HIGH SCHOOL
LEXINGTON HIGH SCHOOL
ELBA SECONDARY SCHOOL
ANSLEY HIGH SCHOOL
BAYARD SECONDARY SCHOOL
ST EDWARD HIGH SCHOOL
SOUTH SIOUX HIGH SCHOOL
LINCOLN HIGH SCHOOL
BRIDGEPORT HIGH SCHOOL
SUPERIOR SR HIGH SCHOOL
FRANKLIN HIGH SCHOOL
MORRILL HIGH SCHOOL
BURKE HIGH SCHOOL
MADISON HIGH SCHOOL
LOUP COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL
CRAWFORD HIGH SCHOOL
WAKEFIELD HIGH SCHOOL
LOUP CITY HIGH SCHOOL
CREEK VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL
be interesting to see free and reduce percentages of consistent bottom schools compared to the top winning schools as well as the ELL percentages

Huskerland Preps won't be the same without the annual Parkview Christian hate thread.

In honor of this tradition, should a new hated team be adopted, let it slide this year, or pile on even though they lost in their District Final.

What is the proper protocol here?

They lost to another Private school. We can allow it as they both eat their own.

• Haha
Reactions: ClkTwr2011
HARVARD HIGH SCHOOL
OMAHA STREET SCHOOL
BUENA VISTA HIGH SCHOOL
THEDFORD HIGH SCHOOL
LEXINGTON HIGH SCHOOL
ELBA SECONDARY SCHOOL
ANSLEY HIGH SCHOOL
BAYARD SECONDARY SCHOOL
ST EDWARD HIGH SCHOOL
SOUTH SIOUX HIGH SCHOOL
LINCOLN HIGH SCHOOL
BRIDGEPORT HIGH SCHOOL
SUPERIOR SR HIGH SCHOOL
FRANKLIN HIGH SCHOOL
MORRILL HIGH SCHOOL
BURKE HIGH SCHOOL
MADISON HIGH SCHOOL
LOUP COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL
CRAWFORD HIGH SCHOOL
WAKEFIELD HIGH SCHOOL
LOUP CITY HIGH SCHOOL
CREEK VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL
A pretty quick glance shows a few qualifiers in that group, not to mention a couple of others that have been really, really good at other sports recently. Not the best group maybe for the "poor kids can't do sports" argument. I'll give you the keys for the success but nobody will touch them, the fact of which, totally invalidates any pseudo science "competitiveness committees". First, it's about CULTURE. Not race, not income, whatever. The second factor? Look at the number of nuclear families. Secondary is the number of two parent families, even if not nuclear.

I'd love to see the stats on NBA players, MLB players, and NFL players relating to how many grew up below the poverty line, or did qualify for free/reduced lunch if they grew up in the US or would have qualified for free/reduced lunch had they been in the US. I would bet my life savings it is well over 50%.

GACC trailed Howells-Dodge tonight for all but the final 2 seconds, forcing overtime. They then took control of the game to win in Overtime.

I doubt very few teams have ever had to beat a team twice in a week, on that opponent's home court to earn a trip to the State tournament.

Hell, that might have been the first time ever.

GACC trailed Howells-Dodge tonight for all but the final 2 seconds, forcing overtime. They then took control of the game to win in Overtime.

I doubt very few teams have ever had to beat a team twice in a week, on that opponent's home court to earn a trip to the State tournament.

Hell, that might have been the first time ever.
The favorite won handily, but Bridgeport defeated Gordon-Rushville 3 times in February. Final game of regular season, in sub-districts, and in the district final.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT