ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Boys Class B, C and D District Finals Matchups

GACC trailed Howells-Dodge tonight for all but the final 2 seconds, forcing overtime. They then took control of the game to win in Overtime.

I doubt very few teams have ever had to beat a team twice in a week, on that opponent's home court to earn a trip to the State tournament.

Hell, that might have been the first time ever.
I wouldn’t want to play GACC next week.
Been playing well and have the best player in D1

The favorite won handily, but Bridgeport defeated Gordon-Rushville 3 times in February. Final game of regular season, in sub-districts, and in the district final.

Lol, that's not the same thing at all.

1. Gordon-Rushville was terrible this season.

2. I meant GACC had to beat a good HD team, on their home court, twice in one week, in back to back games, in lose or go home scenarios for a chance at state.

Last edited:
I'd love to see the stats on NBA players, MLB players, and NFL players relating to how many grew up below the poverty line, or did qualify for free/reduced lunch if they grew up in the US or would have qualified for free/reduced lunch had they been in the US. I would bet my life savings it is well over 50%.
I was not making a case either way, just wanted to see the facts and see if either way had an connection or those schools had a common statistic. Why are so many scared to review the information ?

2. I meant GACC had to beat a good HD team, on their home court, twice in one week, in back to back games, in lose or go home scenarios for a chance at state.
I do think that scenario has happened before, though rare. The teams involved previously however are escaping my mind at the moment. I'll do some digging.....................

Reactions: Cornicator
I wouldn’t want to play GACC next week.
Been playing well and have the best player in D1
Oh boy, this again. He's like Bigfoot, no stats on MaxPreps. If he's so good, I'd be upset if I were his parents that the coach is too lazy to post stats. Just looked at NDN & he had 9 last night. 38% from the field & 50% at the line...
Also, if he is the best player in D1, the coach should be fired. He had 9 shots. One would assume there would be more sets to get the best player in D1 opportunities in a win or go home game.

Last edited:
That list has about 35 schools on it (not the 35 highest F/R rates, by the way, but close;the lowest have such high poverty rates that the feds won't publish them because it would ID almost every student at that school personally as a child of poverty). That's roughly 10% of the schools in the state. Do you see 10% of the successful schools in the state on the list? Even 5%? You can argue about all those other factors and try to make this about some fluffy concept of culture. All of those factors are unmeasurable and unneeded. The F/R rate gives us a very good look. It gives us the data we need to make the two largest classes in the state bigger by bringing up the schools from smaller classes that can and will compete. And that would allow us to get to fewer classes in the fairest and most competitive way.

I don't know the numbers for pros, but that's a very different conversation. Parents can 'buy' high school success for average and above average athletes through youth sports opportunities, extra training, and facilities, but they can't buy the exceptional physical gifts it takes to be a pro.

Oh boy, this again. He's like Bigfoot, no stats on MaxPreps. If he's so good, I'd be upset if I were his parents that the coach is too lazy to post stats. Just looked at NDN & he had 9 last night. 38% from the field & 50% at the line...
Also, if he is the best player in D1, the coach should be fired. He had 9 shots. One would assume there would be more sets to get the best player in D1 opportunities in a win or go home game.
I would agree with you on almost all of that. I wouldn’t post stats only because of scouting. But I would post stats to benefit the kids recruiting.
they don’t run sets it’s quite mind boggling. I’ve seen 4 or 5 of there games this year. I was there last night and Howell’s box and 1 him and nothing was done to get him any looks. Not sure where you’re getting your stats but I saw last night he was 75% from the line. Not sure what he was from the field

I would agree with you on almost all of that. I wouldn’t post stats only because of scouting. But I would post stats to benefit the kids recruiting.
they don’t run sets it’s quite mind boggling. I’ve seen 4 or 5 of there games this year. I was there last night and Howell’s box and 1 him and nothing was done to get him any looks. Not sure where you’re getting your stats but I saw last night he was 75% from the line. Not sure what he was from the field
From Norfolk Daily News. I understand it's a newspaper, not a stasticiian.
Konnor Kralik 3-8 2-4 9

As far as scouting, that's a joke. With Striv, YouTube, & Hudl that's a weak excuse. Hudl even does stats for you. Hell, I'm not a coach & I can watch warmups & tell you who you need to put your best defender on.
I get not publishing stats 5 years ago & making people work for it, but nowadays, you're only hurting your kids. The only negative is seeing how little someone scores, poor shooting/FT %, etc. which once again, can be found on streaming devices.

A pretty quick glance shows a few qualifiers in that group, not to mention a couple of others that have been really, really good at other sports recently. Not the best group maybe for the "poor kids can't do sports" argument. I'll give you the keys for the success but nobody will touch them, the fact of which, totally invalidates any pseudo science "competitiveness committees". First, it's about CULTURE. Not race, not income, whatever. The second factor? Look at the number of nuclear families. Secondary is the number of two parent families, even if not nuclear.
A you expand on what a “nuclear” family is? I’ve never heard that expression…. My mind goes to 2 different,polar opposite places when thinking what that could mean.

From Norfolk Daily News. I understand it's a newspaper, not a stasticiian.
Konnor Kralik 3-8 2-4 9

As far as scouting, that's a joke. With Striv, YouTube, & Hudl that's a weak excuse. Hudl even does stats for you. Hell, I'm not a coach & I can watch warmups & tell you who you need to put your best defender on.
I get not publishing stats 5 years ago & making people work for it, but nowadays, you're only hurting your kids. The only negative is seeing how little someone scores, poor shooting/FT %, etc. which once again, can be found on streaming devices.
This. There is absolutely no reason to not post stats in 2024. Everybody can watch the game. Nearly every game is live streamed now. Hudl stats it all.

Reactions: Hardwoodbeaver
How many of the other possible D1 kids have you watched in person this season?

Erickson @ NPSP, Bailey @ A/L, all three kids at Ainsworth, Kerchal @ DCS? (Just picking some names that will be in Lincoln)

I’ve seen ainsworth. Will be a very difficult team to beat. Nelson is there 3rd best player. Other 2 are nice players.

Haven’t seen Erickson. The others you mentioned are nice players as well some of the best.

Most of my evaluation comes from AAU and college coaches in the GPAC along with a few division II

I’ve seen ainsworth. Will be a very difficult team to beat. Nelson is there 3rd best player. Other 2 are nice players.

Haven’t seen Erickson. The others you mentioned are nice players as well some of the best.

Most of my evaluation comes from AAU and college coaches in the GPAC along with a few division II
Please enlighten me with the GPAC coaches that are talking about this kid? I can about guarantee you I could text a certain GPAC coach right now and he would have no clue who I am even talking about. And division 2 coaches, this is laughable.

Was just curious, nothing against the GACC kid.

I've seen the 6 I mentioned and all are impressive (as I'm sure the GACC kid might be). Looking forward to them all being in Lincoln, along with others.

Please enlighten me with the GPAC coaches that are talking about this kid? I can about guarantee you I could text a certain GPAC coach right now and he would have no clue who I am even talking about. And division 2 coaches, this is laughable.
Who do you coach? Or just a jealous fan?

Who do you coach? Or just a jealous fan?
Not a coach, and not a fan. Just can't stand when people throw around "evaluations" of a kid that has played a 16U season for the D-League, and has played on a 5-19 team, 4-17 team, and now a 13-13 team. I have seen him play, and he didn't stand out in those games. You should be able to easily recognize a GPAC or D2 basketball player on the court at that level and that wasn't the case. Now maybe he goes to Lincoln next week and pops off and shuts me up, and all the GPAC programs will be singing his praises....but I don't see it.

A pretty quick glance shows a few qualifiers in that group, not to mention a couple of others that have been really, really good at other sports recently. Not the best group maybe for the "poor kids can't do sports" argument. I'll give you the keys for the success but nobody will touch them, the fact of which, totally invalidates any pseudo science "competitiveness committees". First, it's about CULTURE. Not race, not income, whatever. The second factor? Look at the number of nuclear families. Secondary is the number of two parent families, even if not nuclear.
I agree with the part about Family Structure. This is a huge factor.

While not aligned with your point about of "poor kids can't do sports", 2 parent families (nuclear or otherwise) have a proven higher household income. In addition, 2 parent households just have more time to focus on their children and their extracurricular activities.

Culture is much more attainable when there are parents supporting that overall Culture goal.

This is a good post.

I'd love to see the stats on NBA players, MLB players, and NFL players relating to how many grew up below the poverty line, or did qualify for free/reduced lunch if they grew up in the US or would have qualified for free/reduced lunch had they been in the US. I would bet my life savings it is well over 50%.
That data is out there. It is a large percentage. I will see if I can find the study for you. I will forewarn you that it is really tough reading.

Yeah I should have included…another rarity. Your post was 100% spot on as something g that’s maybe happened 3-4 times.

Reactions: Cornicator
When will they post boys state basketball brackets?
Unsure of when they will officially be released, but here is what I have as the matchups:
A
(1) Bellevue West vs. (8) Creighton Prep
(2) Millard North vs. (7) Gretna
(3) Omaha Westside vs. (6) Lincoln Southeast
(4) Omaha North vs. (5) Omaha Central

B
(1) Crete vs. (8) Platteview
(2) Norris vs. (7) Bennington
(3) Scottsbluff vs. (6) Roncalli
(4) Skutt vs. (5) Elkhorn

C1
(1) Omaha Concordia vs. (8) Malcolm
(2) Ashland Greenwood vs. (7) Doniphan Trumbull
(3) Auburn vs (6) DC West
(4) Ogallala vs. (5) Wahoo

C2
(1) Amherst vs. (8) Bridgeport
(2) Ponca vs. (7) Norfolk Catholic
(3) Cedar Catholic vs. (6) Lincoln Lutheran
(4) Summerland vs. (5) Cross County

D1
(1) St. Pats vs. (8) GACC
(2) Johnson Brock vs. (7) Riverside
(3) Ansley Litchfield vs. (6) Plainview
(4) Ainsworth vs. (5) DCS

D2
(1) Shelton vs. (8) St. Francis
(2) Maywood Hayes Center vs. (7) Elm Creek
(3) Walthill vs. (6) SEM
(4) Wynot vs. (5) St. Marys

Reactions: saluno22
Unsure of when they will officially be released, but here is what I have as the matchups:
A

B

C1

C2

D1

D2
(3) Walthill vs. (6) SEM

Last edited:

While not aligned with your point about of "poor kids can't do sports", 2 parent families (nuclear or otherwise) have a proven higher household income. In addition, 2 parent households just have more time to focus on their children and their extracurricular activities.

Culture is much more attainable when there are parents supporting that overall Culture goal.

This is a good post.
I agree completely. F/R lunch should absolutely be part of the equation when it comes to classifications. Other states take demographics into account. No reason Nebraska shouldn't be.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
I agree completely. F/R lunch should absolutely be part of the equation when it comes to classifications. Other states take demographics into account. No reason Nebraska shouldn't be.
Firm disagree. Traditionally those kids are 10 times the athletes that the soft rich kids are. Again, look in the NBA, MLB, and NFL and see how many dudes grew up on F/R. I bet it is more than half of every league. I bet in MLB it is close to 80-90%

Firm disagree. Traditionally those kids are 10 times the athletes that the soft rich kids are. Again, look in the NBA, MLB, and NFL and see how many dudes grew up on F/R. I bet it is more than half of every league. I bet in MLB it is close to 80-90%
Pretty small number of athletes make it to that level. I would surmise the kids that come from better financial environments consistently perform better athletically due to access to development, resources, coaching, etc.

Pretty small number of athletes make it to that level. I would surmise the kids that come from better financial environments consistently perform better athletically due to access to development, resources, coaching, etc.
That is probably accurate, but I think this narrative that schools with a high F/R rates are at this massive disadvantage is hogwash. Scottsbluff is something like 55% F/R. They have traditionally had very strong athletic programs. That is school wide. The same can be said for Grand Island. There are other schools with a high F/R rate that have individual programs that are traditionally very successful. Om. South soccer, Columbus wrestling....South Sioux girls basketball had one of the greatest runs in Nebraska high school sports history.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
A

B

C1

C2

D1

D2
(3) Walthill vs. (6) SEM
If GACC was #12, and Riverside #13 how did Riverside jump them to the #7 spot in the points when they were locked after subs? Any tiebreaker should still be the same, right?

If GACC was #12, and Riverside #13 how did Riverside jump them to the #7 spot in the points when they were locked after subs? Any tiebreaker should still be the same, right?
Points aren't locked after subs. They are recalculated after district finals.
H-D dropped to a division 2, so minus 6 points from their previous 2 games.

A you expand on what a “nuclear” family is? I’ve never heard that expression…. My mind goes to 2 different,polar opposite places when thinking what that could mean.
Sorry. We can argue the rest later, but might be threadjacking. My "nuclear" I mean, Mom, Dad, and THEIR children. As opposed to blended, step, or all the various other permeations that life brings. Two parent families give kids the second best chance, statistically.

That is probably accurate, but I think this narrative that schools with a high F/R rates are at this massive disadvantage is hogwash. Scottsbluff is something like 55% F/R. They have traditionally had very strong athletic programs. That is school wide. The same can be said for Grand Island. There are other schools with a high F/R rate that have individual programs that are traditionally very successful. Om. South soccer, Columbus wrestling....South Sioux girls basketball had one of the greatest runs in Nebraska high school sports history.
Statistically nationwide, 52% of kids in grades 6-12 from low income families (less than $50,000 annually) participate in some sport. That number jumps to 66% in middle to high income families. Sports are a numbers game at times. This shows up more the smaller the school most likely. Participation rates matter, and it really doesn't seem debatable that a kid from a better off family has more opportunity to participate and dedicate their time than one in a low income family who may not have a parent in the house that often.

Huskerland Preps won't be the same without the annual Parkview Christian hate thread.

In honor of this tradition, should a new hated team be adopted, let it slide this year, or pile on even though they lost in their District Final.

What is the proper protocol here?
Even though Parkview Christian still had a really good season, losing their head coach after last season is really going to hurt imo. He was a good one.

You've also listed large school districts that have large (or larger) student enrollments. At the Class C and D level,
Really? Didn't know that, or think that even made sense. OK. Thanks! Wait, they aren't recalculated after subs, though?
Points are recalculated after subdistricts for the District Finals round.....they are recalculated again after District Finals to determine seedings for the state tournament.

personally i think the success that GAAC is having has to do with the coaching family, the fighting Mendlics of father and son.

Statistically nationwide, 52% of kids in grades 6-12 from low income families (less than $50,000 annually) participate in some sport. That number jumps to 66% in middle to high income families. Sports are a numbers game at times. This shows up more the smaller the school most likely. Participation rates matter, and it really doesn't seem debatable that a kid from a better off family has more opportunity to participate and dedicate their time than one in a low income family who may not have a parent in the house that often.

Your thesis is mostly correct, but we need to be careful about how the income related data can skew a few things when looking at rural Nebraska:

1. The vast majority of Nebraskans residing outside of Lincoln, Omaha, Grand Island, Hastings, and Kearney work in Agriculture or an Ag related field.

2. We need to remember there is a significant distinction between "Wealth" and "Income."

3. There are thousands of farmers and ranchers in Nebraska who are WORTH Millions and often might bring in less than $50k per year. Farmers and Ranchers can write off damn near everything and if cattle or grain prices take a hit, they can claim a loss even in years where they might pay cash for an $95,000 GMC 3500 Denali.

Where your data really hits correctly is in Urban or Suburban areas. Kids in Gretna, Bennington, and Elkhorn win a lot. That's not just a coincidence. Its because their parents care and their parents have money. Hell, you can even see it on a smaller scale in communities like Pierce, Aurora, and Amherst.

Your thesis is mostly correct, but we need to be careful about how the income related data can skew a few things when looking at rural Nebraska:

1. The vast majority of Nebraskans residing outside of Lincoln, Omaha, Grand Island, Hastings, and Kearney work in Agriculture or an Ag related field.

2. We need to remember there is a significant distinction between "Wealth" and "Income."

3. There are thousands of farmers and ranchers in Nebraska who are WORTH Millions and often might bring in less than $50k per year. Farmers and Ranchers can write off damn near everything and if cattle or grain prices take a hit, they can claim a loss even in years where they might pay cash for an $95,000 GMC 3500 Denali.

Where your data really hits correctly is in Urban or Suburban areas. Kids in Gretna, Bennington, and Elkhorn win a lot. That's not just a coincidence. Its because their parents care and their parents have money. Hell, you can even see it on a smaller scale in communities like Pierce, Aurora, and Amherst.
Great points and I think we agree for the most part. According to the NDE, In Nebraska 333,001 students have access to meals through the NSLP. On a typical day, about 68 percent of the school children to whom the lunch program is available participate. I would say that the number to use would be the participation numbers as I would guess most farm families if eligible don't use it. Also, I agree that the tax laws do open the door for hiding income but the median farm income in Nebraska last year was above $99k.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
Sorry. We can argue the rest later, but might be threadjacking. My "nuclear" I mean, Mom, Dad, and THEIR children. As opposed to blended, step, or all the various other permeations that life brings. Two parent families give kids the second best chance, statistically.
No, thank you. I just had never heard that term before…. My initial thought was kids with poor “parental involvement” and having to many of those parents/families create poor culture….. a nuclear explosion, if you will…. But then I thought, with how it was used in a sentence, that nuclear could also mean nucleus…. Centric families. So like I said, my mind went to 2 completely different directions. Thanks.

This is a good post.
great post

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT