ADVERTISEMENT

Boys hoops

How good are the Maywood boys? Has anyone seen them play?

1. Their depth is exceptional for Class D1. They can play 8 or 9 guys with very little drop off.
2. They have a lot of length and use it out on the perimeter. They give much smaller guards fits in the back court which leads to a bunch of buckets in transition.

3. Jeremiah Ingison is an exceptional player. He looks like a kid who will go on to a program like UNK and have a major impact at the NCAA D2 level.

Really fun team to watch after checking out their highlights.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
This guy is giving DT dad energy
Not here to defend HD, but shouldn't all that "way better than anybody, and it isn't close" athleticism show up in some other sports? They were bad at football, and neither Med Valley (for the transfers) or Maywood scored any points at state track, near as i can tell. I think they're a really good bb team. In fact, they're the biggest wild card in D1 imo, when looking at how different their schedule is, compared to the other top 4/5 teams. But to say no other teams athleticism is "even close" seems a bit of that DT energy in its own right, doesn't it? And, for the record, DT was right on about them!

I personally don’t think HD is the team to beat in D1. I like NPSP. The question was about athletes. So agree belongs in another thread. If we want to talk BB let’s just take a look at schedules of the teams in D1 and then I think we can have a good conversation?

Not here to defend HD, but shouldn't all that "way better than anybody, and it isn't close" athleticism show up in some other sports? They were bad at football, and neither Med Valley (for the transfers) or Maywood scored any points at state track, near as i can tell. I think they're a really good bb team. In fact, they're the biggest wild card in D1 imo, when looking at how different their schedule is, compared to the other top 4/5 teams. But to say no other teams athleticism is "even close" seems a bit of that DT energy in its own right, doesn't it? And, for the record, DT was right on about them!
Yeah I wish the DT guy would come back just to gloat honestly. He earned that. I'm not saying Maywood is full of the most athletic specimens of all time. I just said that I hadn't seen HD yet and that the question was about Maywood-HC, which I provided what I knew in regards to what I've seen I guess. IT had devolved from there.

Let’s talk schedule and book of business then. I like Johnson-Brock a lot as well. Solid team and some good quality games.

Ainsworth might be on the verge of peaking at the right time of the season??? If Nelson is interested they become dangerous.

I’ve seen HD play several times this year. They have some very nice athletes but not a lot of basketball players. Make them shoot from the outside and they can be beat. They always work hard and give maximum effort

Ainsworth might be on the verge of peaking at the right time of the season??? If Nelson is interested they become dangerous.

I'm not sure they're "peaking" as much they're getting Carter Nelson back to full strength.

Ainsworth had a miserable stretch of games for roughly 3 weeks right after Nelson suffered a high ankle sprain early vs. Norfolk Catholic.

They played Freeman pretty close that week, that's a better team then they will see here on out.
Johnson-Brock will be a very tough out in D-1. I was at the Freeman game and was quite impressed by them. JB led by 11 or 12 in the first half, but Freeman was just too much for them in the end.

Reactions: NeNebraskaGuru
MHC is hard for me to figure out. I have watched them play numerous times this year and night to night they will have the best athletes on the floor in Southwest Nebraska and it's not even close except for Dundy County. However the quality of boy's basketball here this year is not great.

Their wins against Paxton (2x) and Dundy (3x) are impressive. Those are 2 quality basketball teams.

Their loss to Bertrand and close games with Hitchcock County just can't happen as these are at best average basketball teams nowhere near state tournament quality.

If they get through their sub which is absolutely loaded then that will give a better picture of who they are. They have the athletes to match up with anyone, I think a lot will depend on their draw once they reach the state tournament as they could make a deep run or could also be first round upset. Such an unknown here but definitely a talented group of kids.

MHC is hard for me to figure out. I have watched them play numerous times this year and night to night they will have the best athletes on the floor in Southwest Nebraska and it's not even close except for Dundy County. However the quality of boy's basketball here this year is not great.

Their wins against Paxton (2x) and Dundy (3x) are impressive. Those are 2 quality basketball teams.

Their loss to Bertrand and close games with Hitchcock County just can't happen as these are at best average basketball teams nowhere near state tournament quality.

If they get through their sub which is absolutely loaded then that will give a better picture of who they are. They have the athletes to match up with anyone, I think a lot will depend on their draw once they reach the state tournament as they could make a deep run or could also be first round upset. Such an unknown here but definitely a talented group of kids.
I would agree, no fault to them they just didnt face much competition this year and maybe a great team for sure but a lot of unanswered questions at this point The great thing is we will all know for sure in a few weeks, so just a little more patience before blowing that horn would be wise

I would agree, no fault to them they just didnt face much competition this year and maybe a great team for sure but a lot of unanswered questions at this point The great thing is we will all know for sure in a few weeks, so just a little more patience before blowing that horn would be wise
That is why it is fun to engage in some back and forth. In the end it all plays out. D1 has lots of mystery. Should be fun watching the subs/district finals as much as state!

Yeah I wish the DT guy would come back just to gloat honestly. He earned that. I'm not saying Maywood is full of the most athletic specimens of all time. I just said that I hadn't seen HD yet and that the question was about Maywood-HC, which I provided what I knew in regards to what I've seen I guess. IT had devolved from there.
He can gloat, but if I were him I'd wait a bit. That schedule is not full of state tourney level tests. Feel free to review the record, but I don't remember anyone telling him that DT wouldn't be good. I remember thinking he was super-cringey with his "who's your team?" in your face BS. People around here enjoy good HS basketball and no one was in his face with any "my team is better" talk. It was "they graduated everyone so they might be good so let's wait and see." He's the one that was in everyone's face. They can win state 10 years in a row and it won't change the fact that DT Dad is a tool.

He can gloat, but if I were him I'd wait a bit. That schedule is not full of state tourney level tests. Feel free to review the record, but I don't remember anyone telling him that DT wouldn't be good. I remember thinking he was super-cringey with his "who's your team?" in your face BS. People around here enjoy good HS basketball and no one was in his face with any "my team is better" talk. It was "they graduated everyone so they might be good so let's wait and see." He's the one that was in everyone's face. They can win state 10 years in a row and it won't change the fact that DT Dad is a tool.
agree with that

Might be a tool but he was right lol. And I’m not saying I agreed with him at the time but i to hope he comes back for a victory lap if DT does damage at state. I do wonder what happened over in central city the other weekend between those 2 teams as well.

Might be a tool but he was right lol. And I’m not saying I agreed with him at the time but i to hope he comes back for a victory lap if DT does damage at state. I do wonder what happened over in central city the other weekend between those 2 teams as well.
He was right to get in everyone's face with the "who's your team" nonsense? Maybe I'm not doing a good job of making my point - I don't care whether he was right about DT being good. Him saying that DT would be good is not why he was laughed off this board. It had nothing to do with basketball, it had to do with him. What happened in CC? Was there a scuffle?

I would be very curious what Maywood's record would be with NPSP's schedule. North Platte to Maywood is 36 miles, yet, Maywood and NPSP have four common opponents. Dundy, Maxwell, Paxton and Perkins County.

Bridgeport, Kearney Catholic, Hershey, Ogallala, Gothenburg, Maxwell and Elm Creek all before Christmas for NPSP. I know Hershey, KC and Maxwell aren't great but going against C2 and C1 teams night in and night out is different then playing Wallace, Southwest, Oberlin, Hitchcock, Dundy (good opponent), and Brady.

Can Maywood-Hayes Center handle this stage? They didn't get out of their sub last year after having a good season, winning 17 games.

Reactions: NeNebraskaGuru
Can May-Hay handle this stage is a huge question. No doubt they are athletic, but if they were one of the top basketball teams in D1, they would not have struggled with anybody in southwest Nebraska. The key to beating May-Hay is to pressure the heck out of their guards and don't allow transition baskets. I'm guessing there are at least half a dozen teams in the east that have faced, on a weekly basis, the basketball talent level of May-Hay. The difference is they may not have faced the athleticism that May-Hay possesses. Because of this it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't even qualify for state and it would't surprise me, with the right draw if they played for a state title.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Can May-Hay handle this stage is a huge question. No doubt they are athletic, but if they were one of the top basketball teams in D1, they would not have struggled with anybody in southwest Nebraska. The key to beating May-Hay is to pressure the heck out of their guards and don't allow transition baskets. I'm guessing there are at least half a dozen teams in the east that have faced, on a weekly basis, the basketball talent level of May-Hay. The difference is they may not have faced the athleticism that May-Hay possesses. Because of this it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't even qualify for state and it would't surprise me, with the right draw if they played for a state title.
Maywood-Hayes Center hasn't played teams at the level of say, Howells-Dodge schedule. Pierce, Humphrey-LHF, Fort Calhoun, HSF, Wisner-Pilger, Mead, is a lot different than playing Hitchcock County, Garden County, Bertrand, Grant, Paxton, Wallace, etc.

Maywood-Hayes Center hasn't played teams at the level of say, Howells-Dodge schedule. Pierce, Humphrey-LHF, Fort Calhoun, HSF, Wisner-Pilger, Mead, is a lot different than playing Hitchcock County, Garden County, Bertrand, Grant, Paxton, Wallace, etc.
I think we can agree the part that is making it hard on Maywood is the fact the do not schedule much competition year in and year out, it is what cost them last year and maybe the problem this year as well. Only time will tell

Reactions: northeastNebraska
I think we can agree the part that is making it hard on Maywood is the fact the do not schedule much competition year in and year out, it is what cost them last year and maybe the problem this year as well. Only time will tell
I don't know how MHC schedules, but I can't imagine they called Cozad, Gothenburg, Elm Creek, Hershey or Imperial to get them on the schedule.

I understand tournaments and what not, but they have played Dundy three times, Hitchcock three times, Paxton twice, and Bertrand twice. Need to branch out a little bit. They have five division 1 wins, but only over two teams.

Last edited:
Now we're speaking the same language. My money on D1 is on Johnson-Brock or Howells-Dodge, those teams are tested regularly against tough, tough competition. Dark horse is B-R, they've been gradually improving all season, very well coached, and those kids grew up around big games.

Now we're speaking the same language. My money on D1 is on Johnson-Brock or Howells-Dodge, those teams are tested regularly against tough, tough competition. Dark horse is B-R, they've been gradually improving all season, very well coached, and those kids grew up around big games.
Hard for me to pick against the D1 returning state champs with most of the entire team back. Please do not misunderstand me, I expect maywood to make the state tourney and I believe Johnson Brock has a great shot to make the state tourney also Because this year in my opinion you get past the top 8 to 10 teams in each class, the bottom falls out, just doesnt seem to be any middle of the road teams this year. Appears you are really good or bad

Last edited:
I'll be very interested in that HD vs BR matchup next Thursday.

I can't pick a state champion right now, but I still like NPSP a lot. Their guards put the clamp down on defense, they can shoot well and Brecken Erickson is a beast on offense and defense.

They have a great core of players who have done it and played a C1-C2 schedule for being in Class D1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT