ADVERTISEMENT

Cambridge Basketball Coaches Fired

Per Seth Baumert (Hometown Family Radio) both the girls and boys head basketball coaches at Cambridge High School were removed from their positions yesterday. Anyone have any updated news on this?

https://twitter.com/sabaumert?lang=en
I have heard some wild stories, but it sounds like the Supt. (Sheppard) is taking over the boys program and the Principal (Albers) is taking over the girls program. The girls coach was also the Head Football Coach (Yates) and the boys coach was his father in law. I guess some upset parents and possibly board members on how the season has progressed so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruttingbuck
I’ve talked to a couple Cambridge employees, lines up with what rufuller is saying. That is one of the toughest, highest standards school in the state. A lot of pressure from community to repeat success from the 90’s and early 2000’s. On a much smaller scale it’s like what UNL has been dealing with since TO retired in 97. Nothing is good enough so they move on quickly to the next option. It’s a great town and full of great people but I know it’s tough there. Hope for the best for a very proud community.

Reactions: Ruttingbuck
So they made a change during the season because the teams weren't successful enough? If that's the case, I hate to see it. If you want to make a change fine, but do it after the season.

that is sad if it is true. Pretty tough to build a program when you don't have support from your administration. Also if they keep getting rid of coaches because they aren't winning enough maybe Cambridge needs to get rid of the people doing the hiring! Also what happens if they still don't win enough this year, will the Principal and Supt fire themselves?

that is sad if it is true. Pretty tough to build a program when you don't have support from your administration. Also if they keep getting rid of coaches because they aren't winning enough maybe Cambridge needs to get rid of the people doing the hiring! Also what happens if they still don't win enough this year, will the Principal and Supt fire themselves?

Or maybe bring in some parents with differant genetics! ;)

Keep in mind this is the same district that kids were placing donuts on their genitals and forcing other kids to eat them off. There is some odd stuff going on in that town.
Totally uncalled for. What is the purpose of bringing up something that happened 5 years ago?

Reactions: orafino
I have heard some wild stories, but it sounds like the Supt. (Sheppard) is taking over the boys program and the Principal (Albers) is taking over the girls program. The girls coach was also the Head Football Coach (Yates) and the boys coach was his father in law. I guess some upset parents and possibly board members on how the season has progressed so far.

Steve Kirkham, the former boys coach, won 11 Rocky Mountain Atheletic Conference championships at Colorado Mesa University. He was also the AD at University of Colorado Colorado Springs. He knows basketball, and he was good with the kids. There were a couple unhappy kids and changes were made.

Steve Kirkham, the former boys coach, won 11 Rocky Mountain Atheletic Conference championships at Colorado Mesa University. He was also the AD at University of Colorado Colorado Springs. He knows basketball, and he was good with the kids. There were a couple unhappy kids and changes were made.
I'd guess school board members kids were a couple of them...

Its not the responsibility of the school board to hire/fire coaches. The AD should be responsible for that. The Principal is responsible for his/her building and the staff, the Sup governs all building heads. The Board is responsible for district policies, budget and managing the Sup.. There should be an established chain of command and the districts should follow that. Kids need to learn how to communicate with coaches if they believe they are being treated unfairly.

It illustrated the arrogance of the town. This firing of coaches further proves my point.
How does that illustrate anything besides ignorance? Did the town have a parade over it? Did they celebrate it? Did the guilty parties participate in sports after the incident?

Its not the responsibility of the school board to hire/fire coaches. The AD should be responsible for that. The Principal is responsible for his/her building and the staff, the Sup governs all building heads. The Board is responsible for district policies, budget and managing the Sup.. There should be an established chain of command and the districts should follow that. Kids need to learn how to communicate with coaches if they believe they are being treated unfairly.
lol your right but more coaches get fired by boards than you can imagine Cambridge has a problem, they have also had a number of football coaches over the past 8 years

Wasnt Cambridge the school about 10 years ago that showed up to a district Basketball game with the wrong color of jersey and started the game with 5 technicals? I think they were the #1 seed and lost if I am correct.

Wasnt Cambridge the school about 10 years ago that showed up to a district Basketball game with the wrong color of jersey and started the game with 5 technicals? I think they were the #1 seed and lost if I am correct.
:D:D:D:D I'm not sure, sounds like it could of been

what about this donut thing, what the hell is that about, they made kid's eat donuts off of the test'es of other kids, wow, I never heard of that.

The reality is that in most C and D schools, hiring of coaches is done by the superintendent, sometimes the principal. ADs have various amounts of input, many none at all. Also keep in mind that most of these schools hire teachers first, coaches second. The exception might be when two teaching candidates are close to even, the edge would go to the one considered to make a better coach.

The reality is that in most C and D schools, hiring of coaches is done by the superintendent, sometimes the principal. ADs have various amounts of input, many none at all. Also keep in mind that most of these schools hire teachers first, coaches second. The exception might be when two teaching candidates are close to even, the edge would go to the one considered to make a better coach.
I'm guessing the retired, 11 time RMAC championship coach wasn't a teacher.
But of course, I'm sure some disgruntled parent knew more about coaching than him. ;)

A former assistant coach of mine was a senior on that team. They were playing Alma in Holdrege in the 2/3 matchup and found out shortly before warm ups they had the wrong jersey(Black instead of white). Initial idea was to wear Holdrege whites but they were already being used at their District game. They were assessed 5 technicals to start they game and they only played 7 guys that year so they subbed those 2 in right away to get the other 2 T’s out of the way. So Alma was given FOURTNEEN!!! Straight free throws to start the game and made 11 of them. Cambridge cut it to 5 or 6 but never got over the initial hump of those 11 points. Another point that I never thought of was thAt Alma right away was in the bonus for the first half so they had a ton of FT’s on top of everything. Nightmare situation for Cambridge.

I'm guessing the retired, 11 time RMAC championship coach wasn't a teacher.
But of course, I'm sure some disgruntled parent knew more about coaching than him. ;)
Oh yeah, it was like Hoosiers, but Hickory isn't ending up playing for state I don't think.

A former assistant coach of mine was a senior on that team. They were playing Alma in Holdrege in the 2/3 matchup and found out shortly before warm ups they had the wrong jersey(Black instead of white). Initial idea was to wear Holdrege whites but they were already being used at their District game. They were assessed 5 technicals to start they game and they only played 7 guys that year so they subbed those 2 in right away to get the other 2 T’s out of the way. So Alma was given FOURTNEEN!!! Straight free throws to start the game and made 11 of them. Cambridge cut it to 5 or 6 but never got over the initial hump of those 11 points. Another point that I never thought of was thAt Alma right away was in the bonus for the first half so they had a ton of FT’s on top of everything. Nightmare situation for Cambridge.

I do remember hearing about that.

Who was the coach of that team?

Who was the coach of that team?
That is a Million dollar question haha. Schoenfish had stepped down 2 years prior to that, then his assistant took over for one year, and then a guy from like the east coast was there for a short time. That would be a good trivia question!

That story illustrates the weirdness of Nebraska/NSAA jersey color traditions.

Districts:
1- wears white whole tourney
2- wears dark whole tourney
4- wears white vs. 5
3- wears white vs. 6
if you upset 1 or 2 you take over their jersey color for the rest of the bracket.

State:
Random placement on top or bottom of bracket dictates jersey color.
(Except, I don't think it's totally random. I think there are a set number of pre-set brackets that the NSAA uses but I've never been able to crack their pattern.)

I guess the best thing to do is to bring both sets of uniforms. Personally I have never understood why the higher seed isn't the home team.

Reactions: Alum-Ni
A few rule changes and policy changes have come up since that episode.

#1 -- In the NFHS officiating side of things, there is now a limit of one technical foul for administrative purposes in a basketball game. If a team shows up with the wrong uniforms, it is one technical foul and 2 free throw shots for the opposing team. That's it. There is no longer a penalty for each player that plays with the wrong uniform.

#2 -- Look at the brackets for the state tournament (I know this was a sub-district game) that are up for 2020. It was just changed by the schools so that the #1 seed plays first in every bracket, giving them the most advantageous position of rest and recovery. The bracket also ensures that the #1 seed would be the home team throughout the tournament if seeds held. It also means that the #4 seed is the home team over the #5, the #2 seed is the home team over #7 and in their second game, and the #3 seed is the home team against #6.

Reactions: TC53
Yes, they played Alma and trailed by ten points before ever getting the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT