ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska HS Mascot thread

northeastNebraska

All-State
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2008
Highway 30
So I saw this tweet from Suiting Up Varsity. Who has a great podcast everyone should check out. They tweeted this out.

Elmwood was the Pirates (Blue and White) before consolidating with Murdock (who was the Bulldogs and they were purple and white). They are now the Elmwood-Murdock Knights and are black and silver.

He also mentioned Atkinson was the Haybalers, Clarks was the Blue Bombers.

What are a few other past mascots before co-ops and consolidations? A few from my neck of the woods.

Snyder Warriors (red and white)
Pilger Cardinals (red and white)
Craig Wolves (purple and white)
Hooper Cardinals (purple and white)
Uehling Bobcats (Orange and White? Brown and white maybe?)

Reactions: nenebskers
Beemer Bobcats
Newcastle Red Raiders
Coleridge Bulldogs
Clarkson Red Devils
Bancroft Rosalie Panthers
Niobrara Lions
Verdigre Hawks
Orchard Orioles
Butte Wildcats
Clearwater Cardinals
Butte Wildcats
Lindsey Goly Family Bulldogs
Humphrey Bulldogs
Howells Bobcats
Dodge Pirates
Lynch Eagles
Petersburg Pirates
Spencer-Naper Pirates
Elgin Eagles

That's a lot of Wildcats, Bobcats, Bulldogs, Eagles and Pirates!

Can anyone remember the following? I'll send you an atta boy ;)

Leigh
Elgin Pope John
Oakland
Tekamah
Herman
Emerson
Hubbard
Emerson Sacred Heart
Randolph St. Francis
Obert/Maskell (I believe they were apart at one time too???)
Bancroft
Rosalie
Concord
Newman Grove
Lyons
Decateur
Spencer
Naper
Neleigh
Oakdale

I can't believe I dont remember Leigh, Newman Grove, or Pope John, wasn't too many years ago.

Also, an air high five to anyone who can inform me of other private schools that have come and gone in Northeast Nebraska, or anywhere for that matter. Give your beat guess of when they closed also.

Last edited:
Reactions: northeastNebraska
Beemer Bobcats
Newcastle Red Raiders
Coleridge Bulldogs
Clarkson Red Devils
Niobrara Lions
Verdigre Hawks
Orchard Orioles
Butte Wildcats
Clearwater Cardinals
Butte Wildcats
Humphrey Bulldogs
Howells Bobcats
Dodge Pirates
Lynch Eagles
Petersburg Pirates
Spencer-Naper Pirates
Elgin Eagles

That's a lot of Wildcats, Bobcats, and Pirates!

Leigh
Elgin Pope John
Oakland
Tekamah
Herman
Emerson
Hubbard
Emerson Sacred Heart
Randolph St. Francis
Bancroft
Rosalie
Concord
Newman Grove
Lyons
Decateur
Spencer
Naper
Neleigh
Oakdale

I can't believe I dont remember Leigh, Newman Grove, or Pope John, wasn't too many years ago.

Also, an air high five to anyone who can inform me of other private schools that have come and gone in Northeast Nebraska, or anywhere for that matter. Give your beat guess of when they closed also.
Oakland Vikings
Leigh Panthers
Elgin PJ Crusaders

-I’ve always wanted to know what Bancroft and Rosalie were.
-Had no idea Emerson and Randolph had Catholic schools.

If I had to guess of a few towns in Northeast NE that at one time may have had a Catholic school...
Dodge, Howells, Ponca, Bloomfield

Ponca and Bloomfield have not. I could see the other two potentially.

Randolph St Francis closed down around the mid 60's. Randolph, maybe even one in Laurel, and other small town Catholic grade schools combined to form Hartington Cedar Catholic. Prior to that the Catholic high school in Hartington was known as Holy Trinity which is still the name of the elementary and grade school. At its peak Hartington CC was a Class B program with a few state titles at that level even. They've had some great boys basketball players and teams over the years but have shifted to more of a football school the past 20 years. Sad but now they are middle of the pack C2 and dropping. May be looking at a D1 school in 10 years.

Dont know for sure but I'm guessing Emerson Sacred Heart was around the 70's. One of my neighbors attended there, otherwise would have had no clue.

Last edited:
Here in Creighton, St. Ludger's is still our Catholic elementary school. Not sure exactly how long ago it was when the high school closed, but they used to compete as the Comets. Think they had some pretty successful basketball teams too.

I know driving through Belden on Highway 20 there stands an old brick school that I heard was a high school. And yes Obert and Maskell both had schools at one time. I have heard of the combined school referred to as Kellbert School. I am not sure of the year or mascots but I can do some digging.

I don't think it was ever a high school, but before the one-room schoolhouse in Manley closed, they were known as the Manley Mustangs.

Randolph St. Frances Blue Jays Blue Gold
Leigh Panthers Blue White
Elgin Pope John Crusaders Blue White
Tekamah Tigers Purple Gold
Herman Cardinals Red White
Emerson Pirates Purple Gold
Hubbard (Don't have that one) Orange Black
Emerson Sacred Heart (don't have them on HS list)
Obert (Don't have that one) Green White
Maskell (Don't have them on my list
Bancroft Bulldogs Orange Black
Rosalie Bulldogs Black Gold
Concord Vikings Red Black
Meadow Grove Trojans Red White
Lyons Lions Maroon White
Decatur Bulldogs Red White
Spencer Pirates Purple Gold
Naper Bears Red White
Neligh Warriors Maroon White
Oakdale Antelopes Maroon White

My brother started building us a list about ten years ago. There is a great Nebraska History of Schools book-- anyone know the title of the top of their head? Most of them came from there. Add ones we find. Just found Archer High-- which is northwest of Central City-- today:
Archer Aces

I can't get our list top link right.

And here's my list of school consolidations where I try to track mergers and combinations of districts. So far it is just the schools that ever played in state basketball. If you see anything there that looks wrong, let me know.

Thanks for the shout out about the podcast. Hope to be posting new episodes again soon. Working on the giant 1926 state basketball tournament but the story keeps sprawling on me.

Last edited:
Spencer Pirates
Naper Bears
Oakdale Antelopes( I think)
Gresham Blackbirds

Private Schools
Dwight Assumption
Sidney St Pats
Alliance St Ann’s

Beemer Bobcats
Newcastle Red Raiders
Coleridge Bulldogs
Clarkson Red Devils
Niobrara Lions
Verdigre Hawks
Orchard Orioles
Butte Wildcats
Clearwater Cardinals
Butte Wildcats
Humphrey Bulldogs
Howells Bobcats
Dodge Pirates
Lynch Eagles
Petersburg Pirates
Spencer-Naper Pirates
Elgin Eagles

That's a lot of Wildcats, Bobcats, Bulldogs, Eagles and Pirates!

Leigh
Elgin Pope John
Oakland
Tekamah
Herman
Emerson
Hubbard
Emerson Sacred Heart
Randolph St. Francis
Bancroft
Rosalie
Concord
Newman Grove
Lyons
Decateur
Spencer
Naper
Neleigh
Oakdale

Naper Bears

Atkinson (St. Joe's maybe) and Greeley St Pat's both had HS back in the day I believe.

Years ago, there used to be an old school mascot thread on here. Maybe 6-7 years ago. Not sure if you can still view it or not.

My hometown, Keystone, had a high school up until the 1940's but I was never aware of them competing in sports or having a mascot. It remained a K-8 school until the mid 2000's. In the early 70's they had a junior high football team nicknamed the Mustangs

My hometown, Keystone, had a high school up until the 1940's but I was never aware of them competing in sports or having a mascot. It remained a K-8 school until the mid 2000's. In the early 70's they had a junior high football team nicknamed the Mustangs

I was unaware that Keystone had a high school and had no idea they had jr. high football in the 70's. Thanks for that bit of information.

Lyons Lions Maroon White
Naper Bears Red White

My brother started building us a list about ten years ago. There is a great Nebraska History of Schools book-- anyone know the title of the top of their head? Most of them came from there. Add ones we find. Just found Archer High-- which is northwest of Central City-- today:
Archer Aces

And here's my list of school consolidations where I try to track mergers and combinations of districts. So far it is just the schools that ever played in state basketball. If you see anything there that looks wrong, let me know.

Thanks for the shout out about the podcast. Hope to be posting new episodes again soon. Working on the giant 1926 state basketball tournament but the story keeps sprawling on me.[/QUOTI belive in
Lyons Lions Maroon White
Naper Bears Red White

Archer Aces

Thanks for the shout out about the podcast. Hope to be posting new episodes again soon. Working on the giant 1926 state basketball tournament but the story keeps sprawling on me.
I believe it was titled Pages of History: Past and Present High Schools of Nebraska. Something like that any way.

Big Springs Trojans?
Eustis Tigers?
Venango Panthers?

My list says you are right, right, right on your question marks.

Lyons Lions Maroon White
Naper Bears Red White

Archer Aces

Looking through your list of school consolidations, is what you have listed as Cedar Bluffs suppose to be Cedar Rapids?

Hubbard was the Warriors and Orange and Black is correct. Sacred Heart Catholic School in Emerson was the Crusaders and they were red and white; Old 3 story brick building right on North end of town as you rolled into the town. High School closed in 1969 I believe and the Elementary/Middle School made it to 2000. Had an auditorium on Main Street were E-H and Sacred Heart played some heated High School Basketball games. Only sport I believe Sacred Heart did was basketball, may have had some football squads pre-WWII but not for sure on that one.

Here's a good one, and I dont know the answer. Wayne used to have Hahn Prep School. Does anyone know what they're mascot was? Believe it closed in the early 60s.

Here's a good one, and I dont know the answer. Wayne used to have Hahn Prep School. Does anyone know what they're mascot was? Believe it closed in the early 60s.
I did some work for a guy from Wayne and I think he talked about Panthers. Maybe?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT