ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska HS Mascot thread

Anyone have an idea of what Dannebrog, Boelus, and Cairo's mascots and colors were before becoming Centura?

I think Centura had something to do with the school being in the center of the 3 towns. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe Centura is 5 miles from each town.

Cairo Red Skins colors red & white
Boelus Bears colors blue & gold
Dannebrog Eagles colors blue & white

Maybe came up with Centura since opened the year of Nebraska's Centennial?

How about the following schools?

Surprise: mascot
Magnet: both mascot & colors
Marsland: both mascot & colors
Maskell: colors
Underwood: both mascot & colors
Union Center Consolidated: both mascot & colors
Whitman: mascot
Vesta: mascot
Verdel: colors
O'Fallins: mascot
Norfolk Sacred Heart: both mascot & colors
Archer: I heard they were the Wildcats
Union: colors
Brownville: mascot
Nebraska City St. BernardBernards: both mascot & colors
Springfield: mascot
Malmo: mascot
Pleasant Dale: both mascot & colors
Hubbell: color
Hoskins: both mascot & color
Barneston Otoe Consolidated: mascot

These are schools still trying to get info on.

Page Eagles Black Gold Closed 1967
Inman Tigers Blue Gold Closed 1963

Cairo Red Skins colors red & white
Boelus Bears colors blue & gold
Dannebrog Eagles colors blue & white

Maybe came up with Centura since opened the year of Nebraska's Centennial?

Centura and Centennial both 1967!

O'Fallons Hornets Blue Gold
Magnet Eagles (colors?)
Underwood Rams (colors?) (one of 3 districts consolidated to become Omaha Westside)
Union Center Cornhuskers? (has ? on my list) (also called Orphans because they had no home court, practiced outside)
Archer Aces Green White
Union Yankees (got to like that one!) (colors?)
Barneston Otoe Consolidated Indians Cardinal Gold

Do you have Hubbell mascot? I don't have that.

few more i would like to know if anyone does
before they consolidated
Stella
Shubert
Nemaha
Dawson
Verdon
Cook
Tecumseh
Table Rock
Salem
Preston
Barada

Southeast Consolidated (Stella, Shubert and Nemaha) Blue and white Mustangs
Dawson-Verdon Jets
Humboldt- red and white Cardinals

Stella Tigers Blue White
Shubert Panthers Red Black
Nemaha Indians Green Gold
Verdon Bulldogs Blue White
Cook Cougars Black Orange
Tecumseh Indians Black Gold
Table Rock Tigers Orange Black
Salem Bobcats Red Black

I have nothing on
Preston
Barada

Stella Tigers Blue White
Salem Bobcats Red Black

I have nothing on
Preston
Barada
wow Thanks thats awesome

O'Fallons Hornets Blue Gold
Magnet Eagles (colors?)
Underwood Rams (colors?) (one of 3 districts consolidated to become Omaha Westside)
Union Center Cornhuskers? (has ? on my list) (also called Orphans because they had no home court, practiced outside)
Archer Aces Green White
Union Yankees (got to like that one!) (colors?)
Barneston Otoe Consolidated Indians Cardinal Gold

Do you have Hubbell mascot? I don't have that.

Stella Tigers Blue White
Salem Bobcats Red Black

I have nothing on
Preston
Barada
Found out Preston never had a school
but a couple that did I dont know are
Barada
Bratton union
Rulo
Honey Creek
Dawson
Talmage
last I can think of in southeast corner of the state

Barada (not on my list) (not in basketball districts 1931)
Bratton Union Bulldogs Blue White Closed 1966
Rulo Eagles Red White Closed 1951
Honey Creek Wildcats (colors?) Closed 1960
Dawson Lions Red White Closed 1959
Talmage Bulldogs Purple White Closed 1968

I know Elkhorn North will be the wolves. But surely one of the new OPS high schools will be the Polar Bears or Skunks, right? I mean we already have the Benson Bunnies.

We need to start pushing Polar Bears for the new OPS on the old Bishop Ryan campus! That's not far from the zoo, which shipped its lonely polar bear to Kansas City last year because he needed a freind, but I think the plan is a new polar bear enclosure in the next building cycle. I see synergy! Hell, name the school for Henry Doorly!

BTW the Lon Pine Polar Bears wore green and white.

Does anyone from Norfolk have any info on the old schools that now make up the Norfolk Catholic school? Sacred Heart, Nazarene, and Burns I think were their names. Along with an all girl school in there also. I know I have seen these names mentioned in their Hall of Fame inductions.

We need to start pushing Polar Bears for the new OPS on the old Bishop Ryan campus! That's not far from the zoo, which shipped its lonely polar bear to Kansas City last year because he needed a freind, but I think the plan is a new polar bear enclosure in the next building cycle. I see synergy! Hell, name the school for Henry Doorly!

BTW the Lon Pine Polar Bears wore green and white.
North Central should have had their mascot be the Polar Bears. Close to Long Pine.

Does anyone from Norfolk have any info on the old schools that now make up the Norfolk Catholic school? Sacred Heart, Nazarene, and Burns I think were their names. Along with an all girl school in there also. I know I have seen these names mentioned in their Hall of Fame inductions.

It seems to me that Sacred Heart became Burns which became Catholic. I'm sure there were some consolidations of other parochial schools, but in the athletic sphere I never see two Norfolk Catholic schools competing at the same time. No idea on colors and nicknames on those.

Does anyone have mascots and colors for these towns? Or if some of these town even had a school? These are the remaining towns in my northeast region.

Tarnov
Cornlea
Duncan
Platte Center
Rogers?
Nickerson?
Kennard?
Foster
Hadar
Hoskins
Thurston
Dakota City
Jackson
Dixon
Laurel
Santee
Center

Duncan Blue Jays Blue White Closed 1967
Platte Center Explorers Blue Gold Closed 1969
Kennard Tigers Orange Black Closed 1960
Thurston Bluehawks Blue White Closed 1967
Dakota City Wildcats Blue White Closed 1962
Lincoln Jackson Cardinals Red White Closed 1941
Dixon Fighting Irish Green Gray Closed 1958
Laurel Bears Black Orange Closed 1962
Santee Warriors Blue Gold
Center Panthers Orange Black Closed ???

I assume you were talking about another Jackson, but I put Lincoln Jackson from 27th and Adams on just in case.

Not on my list:
Foster
Hadar
Hoskins
Rogers?
Nickerson?
Tarnov
Cornlea

Reactions: northeastNebraska
fyQbkNty90Az299cp0iDfxh_ZUeIMvwqJYkLUPuhrDaud0_FaVxrl3Cg0ZF7UGXa1cYiNCOdfy7FwPSpWI76r9v5EGpxS0FGmE8vKGfWAgVqPqZdS1I=w874

Reactions: northeastNebraska
The above is the list of teams playing in basketball districts in 1931. This was the only year Nebraska had an Indiana-style one-class tournament. Schools under 100 students had to play districts. Winners and runners-up advanced to regionals where the 100+ schools joined. This is a list I use a lot to decide if schools ever competed athletically. That and the NSAA basketball state tourney history file.

Anyone have an idea of what Dannebrog, Boelus, and Cairo's mascots and colors were before becoming Centura?

Cairo Red Skins Red White Closed 1967
Dannebrog Eagles Blue White Closed 1967
Boelus Bears Blue Gold Closed 1967

We are down a lot of our Bears: Callaway, Boelus, Hebron. What do we have left? LCC, Blair and Bryan?

Duncan Blue Jays Blue White Closed 1967
Platte Center Explorers Blue Gold Closed 1969
Kennard Tigers Orange Black Closed 1960
Thurston Bluehawks Blue White Closed 1967
Dakota City Wildcats Blue White Closed 1962
Lincoln Jackson Cardinals Red White Closed 1941
Dixon Fighting Irish Green Gray Closed 1958
Laurel Bears Black Orange Closed 1962
Santee Warriors Blue Gold
Center Panthers Orange Black Closed ???

I assume you were talking about another Jackson, but I put Lincoln Jackson from 27th and Adams on just in case.

Not on my list:
Foster
Hadar
Hoskins
Rogers?
Nickerson?
Tarnov
Cornlea
Thank you! That’s a start. And the Jackson I meant is Jackson, NE. But I’m not sure they’ve ever had a school.

Projects like this are key for gathering information before it falls into the memory hole. I'd like to see a crowd-sourcing program for archiving the history of different schools put together in one place. Even things that happened in the 1990s are in danger because as the world was changing from paper to the Internet, some things didn't get saved as they should have! Sometimes the toughest things to find for me are questions about 1996-2001.

Wynot used to be the Wildcats before they were Blue Devils. It happened around 1946. I don't know why the change was made, Might have to do with the St James Public school ( that had high school thru 10th grade) had closed in recent years. For those that have passed through St James, that is not the old concrete school on the west side of the main drag through town. That was a parochial school. Incidently the town of St Helena, also had a public school that went thru the 10th grade for a time before WW2.
Incidentally, I know many of these smaller schools didn't compete at the state level. But I do find it interesting how much consolidation has already gone on in our past. And quite successfully I might add. And one can appreciate it when people are concerned about the death of a town when a school closes. If things had gone differently it is pretty easy to imagine the Belden Braves squaring off with the Magnet Eagles in sub-districts, for the right to play the Hubbard Broncos in the C-1 7 district final. What if . . . ? ? ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT