ADVERTISEMENT

New Coop - Wakefield - Allen - Emerson Hubbard

Wakefield is holding a special School Board Meeting on October 22nd at 7 pm with one item on the agenda:

1) Discussion and any necessary action concerning the proposed co-op of primarily athletics between Wakefield, Allen and Emerson-Hubbard High Schools.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
good job coach sloup for signing that petition. you are a great visionary hats off to you lad for helping the cause

Wakefield is holding a special School Board Meeting on October 22nd at 7 pm with one item on the agenda:

1) Discussion and any necessary action concerning the proposed co-op of primarily athletics between Wakefield, Allen and Emerson-Hubbard High Schools.
I hope the adults look for what’s best for the current and future students. This section of Nebraska isn’t growing, they need to be ready.

Wakefield board sticks with their 3-3 deadlock on the co-op

Link: http://waynedailynews.com/local-news/wakefield-special-school-board-meeting/

Wakefield Board of Education Keeps 3-3 Vote for Co-Op With Allen & Emerson-Hubbard; Discussion Will Continue Among Co-Op Meetings

WAKEFIELD - For the third time community members, teachers, students, staff members, coaches and everyone interested in the topic of Wakefield, Allen and Emerson-Hubbard coming together for a cooperative agreement met Tuesday evening.

It has been about two months since the last school board hearing was called that invited Wakefield community members about a possible sports cooperative agreement. After two months of discussion and voting on names and mascots were had, another special board meeting was held in the main gym at Wakefield Community School Tuesday evening lasting approximately 30 minutes.

The third meeting was different than the previous where the Board was going to listen to the patrons and take appropriate action on their 3-3 split.

Mark Victor is the current board president and has been a member of the Wakefield Board of Education for 18 years. He talked about the evening.

"I was pleased with our turnout," said Victor. "I was pleased with the way the meeting was very civil and was very impressed with our community and our school and our entire community."

Four individuals signed up to speak and instead of addressing the board each turned the microphone to the crowd while thanking the board members for their hard work. Each speaker had an opportunity to talk for up to 15 minutes where all four didn't need their allotted time to address the community.

The reason for the mascot and team selection was to get a decision made even before everything was finalized with the November deadline quickly approaching for football. If those items would have waited and the motion was approved, there would have been a tight window.

At the end, the Wakefield Community School Board of Education remained at a 3-3 split and with no majority decision, the motion to co-op with Allen and Emerson-Hubbard for 2020 failed to pass.

"We're meeting with our co-op group again," Victor added. "Just trying to decide how we will proceed now with our decision and that we'll work together."

It was also stated during the meeting that there will be a NASB Community Engagement Program being held in November.

Wakefield board sticks with their 3-3 deadlock on the co-op

Link: http://waynedailynews.com/local-news/wakefield-special-school-board-meeting/

Wakefield Board of Education Keeps 3-3 Vote for Co-Op With Allen & Emerson-Hubbard; Discussion Will Continue Among Co-Op Meetings

WAKEFIELD - For the third time community members, teachers, students, staff members, coaches and everyone interested in the topic of Wakefield, Allen and Emerson-Hubbard coming together for a cooperative agreement met Tuesday evening.

It has been about two months since the last school board hearing was called that invited Wakefield community members about a possible sports cooperative agreement. After two months of discussion and voting on names and mascots were had, another special board meeting was held in the main gym at Wakefield Community School Tuesday evening lasting approximately 30 minutes.

The third meeting was different than the previous where the Board was going to listen to the patrons and take appropriate action on their 3-3 split.

Mark Victor is the current board president and has been a member of the Wakefield Board of Education for 18 years. He talked about the evening.

"I was pleased with our turnout," said Victor. "I was pleased with the way the meeting was very civil and was very impressed with our community and our school and our entire community."

Four individuals signed up to speak and instead of addressing the board each turned the microphone to the crowd while thanking the board members for their hard work. Each speaker had an opportunity to talk for up to 15 minutes where all four didn't need their allotted time to address the community.

The reason for the mascot and team selection was to get a decision made even before everything was finalized with the November deadline quickly approaching for football. If those items would have waited and the motion was approved, there would have been a tight window.

At the end, the Wakefield Community School Board of Education remained at a 3-3 split and with no majority decision, the motion to co-op with Allen and Emerson-Hubbard for 2020 failed to pass.

"We're meeting with our co-op group again," Victor added. "Just trying to decide how we will proceed now with our decision and that we'll work together."

It was also stated during the meeting that there will be a NASB Community Engagement Program being held in November.
So nothing major was accomplished? They have 8 days to figure this out for football next year. I really feel for the juniors and sophomores at all three schools.

So nothing major was accomplished? They have 8 days to figure this out for football next year. I really feel for the juniors and sophomores at all three schools.

That article was not real informative on why the vote remained as is.........but I get the impression that there will not be a coop in place for 2020 between the three schools.

Now this is ridiculous: http://mywaynenews.com/news/after-s...382WBY13zgiCW97vhWvr2qrbZWNphMNtAW_N-yCjgGP3g

School board president Mark Victor thanked the public for coming and set the rules for the meeting. Rather than passing out cards for questions, as had been done at the previous meeting, the board asked those who wanted to speak to sign up at the beginning of the meeting. Victor also made it clear that those wondering why the vote didn't pass, would continue to wonder.

"We are not here to explain our votes, nor are we here to answer questions regarding why we voted the way we did," Victor said.

Four speakers, two urging the board to reconsider their decision, and two praising the board for the work they put into considering the co-op.

After the four members of the public spoke, the board closed the meeting by thanking the public, students and parents for attending.

Now this is ridiculous: http://mywaynenews.com/news/after-s...382WBY13zgiCW97vhWvr2qrbZWNphMNtAW_N-yCjgGP3g

School board president Mark Victor thanked the public for coming and set the rules for the meeting. Rather than passing out cards for questions, as had been done at the previous meeting, the board asked those who wanted to speak to sign up at the beginning of the meeting. Victor also made it clear that those wondering why the vote didn't pass, would continue to wonder.

"We are not here to explain our votes, nor are we here to answer questions regarding why we voted the way we did," Victor said.

Four speakers, two urging the board to reconsider their decision, and two praising the board for the work they put into considering the co-op.

After the four members of the public spoke, the board closed the meeting by thanking the public, students and parents for attending.
Wow. Just wow.

I wouldn’t be surprised if more families opted their kids into Wayne and Pender. Depending on where they live.

Not voted on by school boards yet but it sounds like this will be the final year between Allen and Wakefield. Next year Allen and Emerson Hubbard plan to coop all sports, outside of football due to two year cycle. Sounds like Allen will no longer do FFA or any other activity with Wakefield either. Who knows though, these things are like a good soap opera with never ending twists.

this is like a soap opra who is in, who is out, do what's best for the kid's, of course not being from these towns i'm not sure what is best for the kids, either your all in or don't do it. way too many if's and but's here to make this work. probably time for each school to go their separate ways. and I have a hard time believing that this is all over a mascot and colors, just my opinion though

Not voted on by school boards yet but it sounds like this will be the final year between Allen and Wakefield. Next year Allen and Emerson Hubbard plan to coop all sports, outside of football due to two year cycle. Sounds like Allen will no longer do FFA or any other activity with Wakefield either. Who knows though, these things are like a good soap opera with never ending twists.
Good for Allen and EH.

it isn't like those two towns are growing, this really isn't going to solve the problem in my opinion. it may help for short term but at the end of the day is this what is best for the kids. if it is then it's a great idea.

I heard just 2 or 3 weeks ago the Wakefield board voted 6-0 to continue the co-op they already currently have in place with Allen now.......sharing HS girl's vb and bball, golf, wrestling, Jr High sports and FFA. Are they fine with that because Allen goes over using their mascot and colors so therefore Wakefield doesn't have to change them? Good question. Three of the board members voted no to the 3 way co-op that if happened, would've had a new mascot and colors. Was the changing of their mascot and colors the problem for Wakefield? Could very well have been or not at all....who knows. One thing I have heard though, is that the girls from Wakefield and Allen have a really good thing going together and get along very well from all accounts. Next year and the following they were supposedly supposed to be way better in volleyball and this year and next 2 years in basketball maybe more years after that. I don't think Wakefield nor the Allen girls programs have had great success in past years and now when they could potentially have some success the coop might be dissolved. Would hate to hear they may have to be torn apart since they've been together for 5 or 6 years has it been now? Gotta feel bad for them. Of course some people could care less about what this does to the kids. Apparently some adults can't see past the nose on their face. Really sad.

I think just Allen and Emerson cooping alone together would not be the greatest thing for the two schools. Maybe those two could or should just wait and not coop and continue how it is now (Emerson starting sharing Jr High sports with Wakefield and Allen so maybe Emerson will not want to do that no matter what happens). In 2 years when the football cycle is over and Wakefield will potentially have completely different board members, they try the 3 way co-op again and could have a very different outcome than the "no" vote Wakefield had the first time? Or Allen could just stay with Wakefield how it is now and eventually those two coop HS boys too? They coop everything but HS boys basketball and football right? And maybe HS track? Regardless, It will be a very difficult decision for sure.

I heard just 2 or 3 weeks ago the Wakefield board voted 6-0 to continue the co-op they already currently have in place with Allen now.......sharing HS girl's vb and bball, golf, wrestling, Jr High sports and FFA. Are they fine with that because Allen goes over using their mascot and colors so therefore Wakefield doesn't have to change them? Good question. Three of the board members voted no to the 3 way co-op that if happened, would've had a new mascot and colors. Was the changing of their mascot and colors the problem for Wakefield? Could very well have been or not at all....who knows. One thing I have heard though, is that the girls from Wakefield and Allen have a really good thing going together and get along very well from all accounts. Next year and the following they were supposedly supposed to be way better in volleyball and this year and next 2 years in basketball maybe more years after that. I don't think Wakefield nor the Allen girls programs have had great success in past years and now when they could potentially have some success the coop might be dissolved. Would hate to hear they may have to be torn apart since they've been together for 5 or 6 years has it been now? Gotta feel bad for them. Of course some people could care less about what this does to the kids. Apparently some adults can't see past the nose on their face. Really sad.

I think just Allen and Emerson cooping alone together would not be the greatest thing for the two schools. Maybe those two could or should just wait and not coop and continue how it is now (Emerson starting sharing Jr High sports with Wakefield and Allen so maybe Emerson will not want to do that no matter what happens). In 2 years when the football cycle is over and Wakefield will potentially have completely different board members, they try the 3 way co-op again and could have a very different outcome than the "no" vote Wakefield had the first time? Or Allen could just stay with Wakefield how it is now and eventually those two coop HS boys too? They coop everything but HS boys basketball and football right? And maybe HS track? Regardless, It will be a very difficult decision for sure.
Allen doesn’t feel like they can wait in my opinion. Wakefield and Allen are natural fits. It’s interesting that Wakefield and Allen didn’t tell EH “no we are fine, but thanks.” They could have co-opted everything or just had a complete merger.

Allen seems like they just want to be with someone. I can’t imagine that school staying open much longer.

In a world where people don't have such a bias towards their communities and their history, the best thing that could happen is for these three schools to consolidate, not just form a sports cooperative. There is going to come a time in the near future where the legislators in our state are going to realize that our best option is to begin forced consolidations, much like Iowa, to help be more fiscally responsible.

Allen-Emerson-Hubbard-Wakefield had the chance to at least get off on the right foot by forming a co-op. At the end of the day, one community voted 3-3 and killed the thing. I'd imagine that the other two feel a little bit burned, and they are now going to work together to move forward. I don't blame them at all for deciding to try and make a two-school co-op work if they have willing partners.

That co-op will not be the answer forever............that's clear based on enrollment. But, at least they're trying to do something........not all communities are even willing to consider that.

Yes Wakefield voted to continue discussions but Allen and EH appear, from what I've heard, pretty ticked off and are moving on after the last second change of heart Wakefield had.

There won't be anything Wakefield-Allen after this school year from what my sources tell me. Wakefield wants to keep things going, but they have a ticked off partner in this dance.

Reactions: nenebskers
It wouldn't surprise me if there were to be some open enrolling over this now. If so that would be a sad thing, kids shouldn't have to be put in a position to even contemplate it. But to some, especially maybe the girls that have been together so long, this could be a very big deal to them what is about to happen.

The coop's best athlete by far is from Allen & a sophomore. I guess now some girl from Wakefield will get to play ;)

The coop's best athlete by far is from Allen & a sophomore. I guess now some girl from Wakefield will get to play ;)

The majority of the "best" athletes on the volleyball team were from Allen this year. Same will be the case for basketball. Not likely to see any of them transfer to Wakefield.

Well I guess then if they would've stayed together think of what the Allen girl and the Freshman that Wakefield has now could have done together then for the next couple years playing with each other. I've seen her play and she's really pretty darn good herself. Wakefield has other good athletes also. What gets me though is how far Emerson girls have fallen, not very long ago they were playing for state titles and now they can hardly get girls to go out for sports. Don't know what's up with that.

Well I guess then if they would've stayed together think of what the Allen girl and the Freshman that Wakefield has now could have done together then for the next couple years playing with each other. I've seen her play and she's really pretty darn good herself. Wakefield has other good athletes also. What gets me though is how far Emerson girls have fallen, not very long ago they were playing for state titles and now they can hardly get girls to go out for sports. Don't know what's up with that.

Part of EH's issue is very low girl enrollment, the same thing Allen is struggling with. Also factor in a few girls that transferred out two years ago when things started to diminish. The middle school at EH right now has decent numbers, not great but decent enough where they can field teams. Fast forward 3-5 years and Allen will not be able to fill a roster for any sport, regardless of gender. From about 7th grade down a class with double digit kids is few and far between.

In a world where people don't have such a bias towards their communities and their history, the best thing that could happen is for these three schools to consolidate, not just form a sports cooperative. There is going to come a time in the near future where the legislators in our state are going to realize that our best option is to begin forced consolidations, much like Iowa, to help be more fiscally responsible.

Allen-Emerson-Hubbard-Wakefield had the chance to at least get off on the right foot by forming a co-op. At the end of the day, one community voted 3-3 and killed the thing. I'd imagine that the other two feel a little bit burned, and they are now going to work together to move forward. I don't blame them at all for deciding to try and make a two-school co-op work if they have willing partners.

That co-op will not be the answer forever............that's clear based on enrollment. But, at least they're trying to do something........not all communities are even willing to consider that.
This. Would love to see these three consolidate. It won’t happen right now but it should.

The other thing that kind of stinks about this deal is coaches for the Wakefield-Allen coop had to reapply for the jobs this last year. I believe neither former Wakefield coach got the jobs. I'd have a hard time believing either will want the jobs back after the coop is done after unofficially being let go. I'm sure there's a parent or school board member who's perfect for the position though....(sarcasm font)

Last edited:
The other thing that kind of stinks about this deal is coaches for the Wakefield-Allen coop had to reapply for the jobs this last year. I believe neither former Wakefield coach got the jobs. I'd have a hard time believing either will want the jobs back after the coop is done after unofficially being let go. I'm sure there's a parent or school board member who's perfect for the position though....(sarcasm font)
I looked it up and the former head basketball coach's record there was something like 44-111, so it could be they just felt it was time for a change. Maybe same with volleyball as it looks like under their new head coach they had the best record they've had in a few years. I would think the coaching change happened at least a couple months before this mess came about, so could it have been done with the thought that this coop was going to continue to be long term and was done with what they thought would be best for the Wakefield-Allen girls to have some success? It's a possibility.

Reactions: Llama57
I looked it up and the former head basketball coach's record there was something like 44-111, so it could be they just felt it was time for a change. Maybe same with volleyball as it looks like under their new head coach they had the best record they've had in a few years. I would think the coaching change happened at least a couple months before this mess came about, so could it have been done with the thought that this coop was going to continue to be long term and was done with what they thought would be best for the Wakefield-Allen girls to have some success? It's a possibility.
Agreed, but it's really crappy timing.

It's very interesting about Iowa. I went on the Iowa Preps board and very seldom do they have discussions about schools cooping, schools about to coop, communities having problems with their current coop, communities not wanting to coop or actually anything that pertains to cooping at all. Is it because it's just the norm in Iowa and they know it has to happen at some point, or the probability it's probably going to happen and therefore communities just accept it? It seems like there are lots of coops without anyone blinking an eye.

It's very interesting about Iowa. I went on the Iowa Preps board and very seldom do they have discussions about schools cooping, schools about to coop, communities having problems with their current coop, communities not wanting to coop or actually anything that pertains to cooping at all. Is it because it's just the norm in Iowa and they know it has to happen at some point, or the probability it's probably going to happen and therefore communities just accept it? It seems like there are lots of coops without anyone blinking an eye.
Iowa also doesnt allow opting down Which in my opinion delays what needs to happen, they also have larger classification by the numbers

Iowa also doesnt allow opting down Which in my opinion delays what needs to happen, they also have larger classification by the numbers
Iowa
8-player enrollments:
The enrollment cap to participate in 8-player football is the BEDS Document Certified Enrollment in grades 9-11 of 120 or less. The following exception was recommended by the Football Play-Off Committee and approved by the IHSAA Board of Control. EXCEPTION: An 8-player football school whose current enrollment is 115 or less, and whose enrollment increases above 115 following the 2017 season, will be allowed 8-player football status for an additional 2 years. 11-player enrollments: If the 9-11 enrollment is larger than 120, schools must play 11-player football.

I believe the state stepped in years and years ago and forced consolidations. Could be wrong, but that's what I've always heard.

Man it should. There are so many schools that should be together. Change is difficult, but it’s a part of life.
A couple of good quotes from schools about cooping and consolidation.

"They were more scared that they were going to lose something they had in the past - a voice, a history, a building. We're not consolidating to get rid of a building. We're consolidating to continue to exist."

"There was a time when these school districts were always competing with each other, competing for students, but it's really flipped. Now these school districts have realized that we all need to work together if we want to survive."

There are many rational reasons why co-ops makes sense. Unfortunately, the rational reasons don't always win out over the emotional reasons.

A couple of good quotes from schools about cooping and consolidation.

"They were more scared that they were going to lose something they had in the past - a voice, a history, a building. We're not consolidating to get rid of a building. We're consolidating to continue to exist."

"There was a time when these school districts were always competing with each other, competing for students, but it's really flipped. Now these school districts have realized that we all need to work together if we want to survive."

There are many rational reasons why co-ops makes sense. Unfortunately, the rational reasons don't always win out over the emotional reasons.
again allowing teams to opt down only delays what should happen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT