ADVERTISEMENT

New Coop - Wakefield - Allen - Emerson Hubbard

nenebskers

All-Conference
Oct 18, 2013
The three schools boards recently agreed to begin cooping athletics though it will be done in stages.

Fall 2019 - All three schools will begin cooping all junior high sports. Emerson Hubbard has been cooping with Pender for quite a few years for junior high sports. Wakefield and Allen currently coop all junior high sports (not sure about track).

Fall 2020 - Emerson Hubbard high school girls will join the Wakefield - Allen coop. Wakefield - Allen girls cooped this year in volleyball and basketball for the first time. Emerson Hubbard girls currently compete on their own with the exception of cooping with Pender for track. Wakefield and Allen have their own track teams this year.

Fall 2022 - All three schools will begin cooping boys sports. Currently all three compete on their own for Football, Basketball and track with the exception being Emerson Hubbard coops with Pender for track and Pender, Bancroft Rosalie, and Lyons Decateur for baseball. Wakefield and Allen currently coop wrestling. Waiting till 2022 for boys was at the request of Wakefield. No information on why waiting so long though.

These three schools combined will firmly be entrenched in the upper 1/3 of C1 enrollment. While I dont think it will be an issue it will be interesting to see if either gender in any sport gets close to class B now since we use seperate classifications based off of boy and girl enrollments.

Interesting to see this coop develop over the past year. Just last year both Allen and Emerson Hubbard school boards agreed to coop (Allen girls only and Emerson Hubbard boys and girls) but then backed out. Emerson Hubbard had Pender tell them no for girls only a few months after they did the same thing to Pender for football. This after cooping track and junior high sports for years. Homer also turned down Emerson Hubbard very early on. Allen also has had many talks with Ponca but it sounds like Ponca is pushing too hard for full consolidation right away instead of going at the pace that Allen wants to.

Will this coop stay in the ever decreasing in size Lewis & Clark Conference? Most all those schools except Winnebago and Walthill continue to get smaller. Maybe a better fit for the East Husker or even possibly the Mid-States? Mid-States I think would be a stretch. I'm guessing Allen and Emerson Hubbard will continue to see more kids option enroll into Homer, Pender, Ponca, Laurel, and Wakefield with these changes.

Its interesting to see these schools come together to form a coop this size. I commend them for working together. Many of these kids will get an opportunity to play additional sports that they never had in the past; golf, wrestling, possibly softball, baseball, and cross country down the line. So often schools get caught up on bumping up a class size and the coop talks stall. I hope this works out for them. Homer, Ponca, and Pender had opportunities but didnt make it work. Someday they may all be in the same situation with declining enrollments and without a partner due to being landlocked. Ponca is out of cooping partners. Homer is sandwiched between Winnebago and South Sioux City. Pender is seeing growth but it could flip back the other way in a few years just as quick.

Lastly, the Lewis and Clark Conference could look a lot differant in 10 years. Winside, Wynot, Wausa, Bloomfield, Plainview, Ponca, Hartington, Randolph, Osmond, etc...are all not growing. Everyone is just fighting to hold onto their current size.

Last edited:
I agree with northeast. It is good to see. These are tough decisions but inevitable ones. I believe you can be a leader in the upcoming developments, or you can be a tail ender and get left out in the cold. I also believe, starting with some consolidation or co-ops by the schools, will lead to some consolidation of classes by the state. Also not a bad thing in my opinion.

I agree with northeast. It is good to see. These are tough decisions but inevitable ones. I believe you can be a leader in the upcoming developments, or you can be a tail ender and get left out in the cold. I also believe, starting with some consolidation or co-ops by the schools, will lead to some consolidation of classes by the state. Also not a bad thing in my opinion.
It’s not a bad thing at all. Wakefield and Allen should have happened years ago.

@Alum-Ni what are your thoughts on this co-op? To me Allen should close up shop. Have kids go to Ponca, Laurel or Wakefield.

I know the BRLD co op is working pretty great, but it just seems like Pender And Bancroft-Rosalie was a natural fit. I know it’s a lot of bad blood.

@Alum-Ni what are your thoughts on this co-op? To me Allen should close up shop. Have kids go to Ponca, Laurel or Wakefield.

I know the BRLD co op is working pretty great, but it just seems like Pender And Bancroft-Rosalie was a natural fit. I know it’s a lot of bad blood.

I don't honestly know what the history is between Pender and the B-R and L-D communities.

I sympathize with these real small schools and towns. I completely understand wanting to save your school and your town's identity. And Allen, in particular, is somewhat competitive, at least on the boys side lately. With that said, it's hard to complain about high property taxes if you want to keep your small school open.......can't have it both ways.

I think its only a matter of time before these small schools around the state, especially on the eastern side, do consolidate and merge.....it's just taking longer than some want to see.

For a lot of these small schools it's an enrollment issue not a funding issue. In this situation all three schools are now benefiting from tax money generated from a recent wind farm project that was just completed. Allen is receiving most of the benefit, followed by I think Emerson then Wakefield. In Allen's case they just graduated 21 students and have ok enrollment on the high school end for another 3-5 yeara but then it falls off mightily with elementary classes in the 5-10 range. Emerson is a little opposite with the elementary having slightly higher enrollment. Both are doing the typical slow death. It's not a mass exodus by any means but every few months another family here and there option out as they see the writing on the wall. Ultimately it becomes an issue of why operate a school with such a low enrollment base and cause property taxes to be so high.

For a lot of these small schools it's an enrollment issue not a funding issue. In this situation all three schools are now benefiting from tax money generated from a recent wind farm project that was just completed. Allen is receiving most of the benefit, followed by I think Emerson then Wakefield. In Allen's case they just graduated 21 students and have ok enrollment on the high school end for another 3-5 yeara but then it falls off mightily with elementary classes in the 5-10 range. Emerson is a little opposite with the elementary having slightly higher enrollment. Both are doing the typical slow death. It's not a mass exodus by any means but every few months another family here and there option out as they see the writing on the wall. Ultimately it becomes an issue of why operate a school with such a low enrollment base and cause property taxes to be so high.

This is getting to be the case for a lot of schools in northeastern Nebraska: Allen, Winside, Wynot, Emerson-Hubbard, Wausa.........

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Agree. I’d love to see these schools utilize their tax money to build a new school in a central location, instead of keeping outdated buildings open.

Some new developments on the coop. Wakefield believes they will need to coop beginning in 2020 for football. Allen and Emerson Hubbard also both feel they will need to partner with someone for 2020. Looking more and more like 2020 will not just be the start for the girls coop but also the boys as well, likely in all sports. Looks like we'll have a new C1 football team next year and 2019 will likely be the last year for three 8-man teams in Northeast Nebraska. Again, there will likely be some kids that option out but regardless the three schools will be around the top 1/3 in C1 enrollment. Homer, Pender, Ponca, and Laurel will probably get a family or two out of this new coop.

My gut tells me that a full out consolidation isn't too far off in the future for these schools. They (Wakefield and Allen) seem to be getting along pretty good and I believe EH is just happy that someone is willing to take them in after Pender and Homer gave them the shaft in the spring of 2018.

Also, Laurel-Concord-Coleridge wants to join those three for softball. The three schools (Wakefield, EH, and Allen) plan to go back and approach Ponca about joining for softball as they originally had talks with Ponca long before Laurel. From Ponca's past dealings I cant see them wanting too. Ponca declined Laurel's wish to be cooped for softball last year so I'd be shocked if they wished to join this one. Especially since the two best facilities are in Ponca and Wakefield, the two furthest towns among the four.

Last edited:
Some new developments on the coop. Wakefield believes they will need to coop beginning in 2020 for football. Allen and Emerson Hubbard also both feel they will need to partner with someone for 2020. Looking more and more like 2020 will not just be the start for the girls coop but also the boys as well, likely in all sports. Looks like we'll have a new C1 football team next year and 2019 will likely be the last year for three 8-man teams in Northeast Nebraska. Again, there will likely be some kids that option out but regardless the three schools will be around the top 1/3 in C1 enrollment. Homer, Pender, Ponca, and Laurel will probably get a family or two out of this new coop.

My gut tells me that a full out consolidation isn't too far off in the future for these schools. They (Wakefield and Allen) seem to be getting along pretty good and I believe EH is just happy that someone is willing to take them in after Pender and Homer gave them the shaft in the spring of 2018.

Also, Laurel-Concord-Coleridge wants to join those three for softball. The three schools (Wakefield, EH, and Allen) plan to go back and approach Ponca about joining for softball as they originally had talks with Ponca long before Laurel. From Ponca's past dealings I cant see them wanting too. Ponca declined Laurel's wish to be cooped for softball last year so I'd be shocked if they wished to join this one. Especially since the two best facilities are in Ponca and Wakefield, the two furthest towns among the four.
This is great to hear for the future of these schools. It’s the best option for all EH, Allen and Wakefield. Co-op first, move towards consolidation. It’ll be interesting to see who will be on their schedule.

If the coop were to happen, it would be in their best interest to leave the L&C conference & try to get into Midstate Conf. That would make 10 in the Midstate, not sure how competitive they'd be across all sports, but it would be a better fit than the tiny schools in the L&C.

If the coop were to happen, it would be in their best interest to leave the L&C conference & try to get into Midstate Conf. That would make 10 in the Midstate, not sure how competitive they'd be across all sports, but it would be a better fit than the tiny schools in the L&C.

I agree, a differant conference would make sense but I'd first let the dust settle and see where the enrollment ends up. The elementary classes at Allen are next to nothing and I'm guessing you'll see quite a few option enrollments out for kids on the outskirts of district boundaries. IMO the East Husker would be a better fit demographically.

I do worry about the coops ability to compete at the C1 level. The positive they will have is being at the top of C1 enrollment if kids dont option out. The Wakefield Allen girls didnt do well this year but by adding in EH the depth of teams should improve, even if just slightly.

Last edited:
I agree, a differant conference would make sense but I'd first let the dust settle and see where the enrollment ends up. The elementary classes at Allen are next to nothing and I'm guessing you'll see quite a few option enrollments out for kids on the outskirts of district boundaries. IMO the East Husker would be a better fit demographically.

I do worry about the coops ability to compete at the C1 level. The positive they will have is being at the top of C1 enrollment if kids dont option out. The Wakefield Allen girls didnt do well this year but by adding in EH the depth of teams should improve, even if just slightly.

I believe Emerson-Hubbard's enrollment is drastically shrinking as well.....if the co-op is C1, I would wager it wouldn't be for very long.

I believe Emerson-Hubbard's enrollment is drastically shrinking as well.....if the co-op is C1, I would wager it wouldn't be for very long.

Wakefield is holding very steady in their class sizes, at the top of C2 on their own. Emerson is actually doing pretty good on their elementary side. If everyone were to stay enrolled theyll be in top 1/3 of C1 but I wouldn't be shocked if they drop quite a bit with transfers down to the middle of the pack if not even lower of C1 in a few years especially if consolidation happens. It would be very tough for them to get down to C2 levels.

I cant fault families for transfering out that live on the outskirts of a district and are 10-15 miles from Homer, Ponca, Pender, or Laurel and 25 miles from Wakefield (assuming that would be the high school location).

At most recent coop meeting between the 3 schools they discussed joining the Mid-States. Not sure if any discussions have been had with the Mid-States or they just plan on approaching the Confernece. In the Lewis and Clark Winnebago has been C-1 for quite a few years now but they are the lone wolf in a conference of all C2-D2 schools.

Seems like this coop is moving quickly and they are forward thinking. I agree they would not fit in the L&C any longer but personally think the East Husker would be a better fit from a competition standpoint. Also, if I was the Mid-States I'd be a little hesitant to add them as a 10th member. Though things seem to be going well what happens if the coop falls apart? The Mid-States is made up of a good group of solid schools. I'd think they'd want to see how the coop does for a year or two first.

Overall this coop is interesting. They are doing all junior high sports this year and the Wakefield and Allen girls will again do High School volleyball and basketball. Next year they plan to do all three schools for all sports including boys sports and 11-man football. They are also hoping to do softball and baseball. Between those sports and wrestling, golf, and cross country many kids will have opportunities they have never had.

At most recent coop meeting between the 3 schools they discussed joining the Mid-States. Not sure if any discussions have been had with the Mid-States or they just plan on approaching the Confernece. In the Lewis and Clark Winnebago has been C-1 for quite a few years now but they are the lone wolf in a conference of all C2-D2 schools.

Seems like this coop is moving quickly and they are forward thinking. I agree they would not fit in the L&C any longer but personally think the East Husker would be a better fit from a competition standpoint. Also, if I was the Mid-States I'd be a little hesitant to add them as a 10th member. Though things seem to be going well what happens if the coop falls apart? The Mid-States is made up of a good group of solid schools. I'd think they'd want to see how the coop does for a year or two first.

Overall this coop is interesting. They are doing all junior high sports this year and the Wakefield and Allen girls will again do High School volleyball and basketball. Next year they plan to do all three schools for all sports including boys sports and 11-man football. They are also hoping to do softball and baseball. Between those sports and wrestling, golf, and cross country many kids will have opportunities they have never had.
Wow that’s great to hear. So the time table had moved up from your post in the spring. They are looking to co-op everything next year?

I wonder what name they’ll land on. Dixon County High?

Wow that’s great to hear. So the time table had moved up from your post in the spring. They are looking to co-op everything next year?

I wonder what name they’ll land on. Dixon County High?

Yes, boys are being added to the mix earlier than originally planned. All three schools realize they may be short on numbers for football on their own in 2020.

They are looking to hire an athletic director that covers all three schools. Also looking into name, mascot, and colors as well as adding softball and baseball.

Everyone has their own opinion but we tend to agree that this is a good move. Some 140lb freshman will not see time his first two years on the varsity field but he will develop on the JV team against kids his size and ability. His junior year when he's 170bs he will be a contributor and he wont worry each season if his team will need to forfeit games or the season. In addition if he chooses he could do cross country, wrestling, golf, or baseball, all sports he never had the option too before.

Interesting and good to hear.

I agree, I think East Husker might be a better fit. Will be a bit of a blow to the L&C to all of a sudden lose three members

I think they should use something to do with Rattlesnake Creek. It's a creek between the 3, and also the name of the wind farm in the area. Something to do with the Logan Creek would make sense as well, but that's been done already.
Yes, boys are being added to the mix earlier than originally planned. All three schools realize they may be short on numbers for football on their own in 2020.

They are looking to hire an athletic director that covers all three schools. Also looking into name, mascot, and colors as well as adding softball and baseball.

Everyone has their own opinion but we tend to agree that this is a good move. Some 140lb freshman will not see time his first two years on the varsity field but he will develop on the JV team against kids his size and ability. His junior year when he's 170bs he will be a contributor and he wont worry each season if his team will need to forfeit games or the season. In addition if he chooses he could do cross country, wrestling, golf, or baseball, all sports he never had the option too before.

Interesting and good to hear.

I agree, I think East Husker might be a better fit. Will be a bit of a blow to the L&C to all of a sudden lose three members

The L&C votes at their next meeting this fall on adding Omaha Nation (Macy). Personally I don't think losing 3 schools is an issue as they were a 17 team confernece, just hate to see Wakefield go as they are one of the few schools that has been able to maintain enrollment the past 20 years. Facility wise none of the schools have a track so they are not losing a school that would host conference meets. Gymnasium wise Allen and EH both have older, but remodeled, funky gyms with bleachers on only one side. EH has a stage while Allen is just a wall on the other side.

I wish Bancroft Rosalie (now BRLD) was still part of the L&C as they would bring the competion level up. If those three coop and leave for another conference it leaves the L&C at 14 schools, a nice round number. Omaha Nation would make it 15, an odd number again. Winside has been in talks with Randolph but not sure if they are getting any closer. Alumni, you hearing anything on your old stomping grounds?

Last edited:
The L&C votes at their next meeting this fall on adding Omaha Nation (Macy). Personally I don't think losing 3 schools is an issue as they were a 17 team confernece, just hate to see Wakefield go as they are one of the few schools that has been able to maintain enrollment the past 20 years. Facility wise none of the schools have a track so they are not losing a school that would host conference meets. Gymnasium wise Allen and EH both have older, but remodeled, funky gyms with bleachers on only one side. EH has a stage while Allen is just a wall on the other side.

I wish Bancroft Rosalie (now BRLD) was still part of the L&C as they would bring the competion level up. If those three coop and leave for another conference it leaves the L&C at 14 schools, a nice round number. Omaha Nation would make it 15, an odd number again. Winside has been in talks with Randolph but not sure if they are getting any closer. Alumni, you hearing anything on your old stomping grounds?
Actually Wakefield has a very nice track and what would be a nice football field in the middle, but unfortunately there aren't any lights, bathrooms, concessions, or bleachers. Maybe when the 3 schools co-op these sports they will consider adding those so they can host track meets and possibly football games. I think Wakefield plays their football games at the baseball field? And out of the 3 schools Allen has the best and biggest gym. It may only be one sided seating but there is actually a lot of seating and can hold more fans than what you think, more than either the Emerson or Wakefield gym.

Actually Wakefield has a very nice track and what would be a nice football field in the middle, but unfortunately there aren't any lights, bathrooms, concessions, or bleachers. Maybe when the 3 schools co-op these sports they will consider adding those so they can host track meets and possibly football games. I think Wakefield plays their football games at the baseball field? And out of the 3 schools Allen has the best and biggest gym. It may only be one sided seating but there is actually a lot of seating and can hold more fans than what you think, more than either the Emerson or Wakefield gym.

Your right on Wakefield's track. I knew they had one but convinced myself they didnt when I couldn't remember any contests there.

Correct, Wakefield plays football on their baseball field.

Please just keep the town names when consolidating. Makes it so much easier.
While I agree with two towns, its fine. Four is a mouthful. Wakefield-Allen-Emerson-Hubbard.

It helps if the schools put out a statement to media and on social media so people around the state can know, that Wakefield is now apart of Logan Creek HS (example). Also that the NSAA would share the information as well.

It’s like Hi-Line High School this year. (Elwood and Eustis-Farnam) I bet everyone During volleyball and hoops seasons will be asking who they are.

While I agree with two towns, its fine. Four is a mouthful. Wakefield-Allen-Emerson-Hubbard.

It helps if the schools put out a statement to media and on social media so people around the state can know, that Wakefield is now apart of Logan Creek HS (example). Also that the NSAA would share the information as well.

It’s like Hi-Line High School this year. (Elwood and Eustis-Farnam) I bet everyone During volleyball and hoops seasons will be asking who they are.
If they decide to keep the names of the schools (towns), then going by their first letters and saying the EHWA Hawks (Hawks is an example only of course) rolls of the tongue way better then say WAEH, AWEH or EHAW. Just like the BRLD Wolverines rolls of the tongue nicely.

If they decide to keep the names of the schools (towns), then going by their first letters and saying the EHWA Hawks (Hawks is an example only of course) rolls of the tongue way better then say WAEH, AWEH or EHAW. Just like the BRLD Wolverines rolls of the tongue nicely.
Using the first letter of each town makes it way easier to remember which towns represent each school. Examples BRLD, BDS, HTRS, EMF

Reactions: viewfromthebooth

Summary:

- Allen is in favor of moving forward with all sports understanding the focus is on football right now. They are in favor of all three schools moving forward with the COOP and working together.

- Emerson-Hubbard is also interested in moving forward with the three school COOP

- Wakefield held a community meeting on July 2 that was lightly attended but overall a positive response. The participation numbers had been published in the paper to inform the community for the need to COOP in football. There had been some talk about surveying the boys for their opinions, but the committee doesn't feel that will benefit any decisions. Coach Hassler has already talked to the football players.

- List of tentative dates for Allen/Emerson-Hubbard/Wakefield:

Fall 2020-21 School Year
Volleyball
Football (11-man)
Softball
Cross Country
Girls Golf

Winter 2020-21 School Year
Wrestling
Girls Basketball

Spring 2020-21
Track & Field
Boys Golf
Baseball
- More discussion took place about hiring a full-time athletic director for all three schools. The committee felt this position should be filled this year with an Administrative degree and collecting a salary accordingly. Each site may need an assistant AD. There was also discussion if would want to move from the Lewis & Clark Conference to the Mid-State Conference.

- The next COOP committee meeting was scheduled for August 28 at 5:30 in Allen

Link: https://meeting.sparqdata.com/Documents/CustomMinutesForMeeting/Emerson-Hubbard?meeting=45774

From the August 12 meeting of the Emerson-Hubbard school board

- COOP Committee Report: The committee met in July. The following activities were discussed for a potential COOP in the 2020-21 school year:

High School Level
Football
Volleyball
Softball
Cross Country
Girls Golf
Wrestling
Girls Basketball
Track & Field
Boys Golf
Baseball (possibly)

Junior High Level
Football
Volleyball
Cross Country
Boys Basketball
Girls Basketball
Wrestling
Track & Field
- Discussion was held about a future name change, color scheme, and mascot. We talked about the best process for coming up with ideas and deciding the best option. Discussion was held about the addition of an Athletic Director position to represent all three schools, in the event of a full coop. We also discussed facility use and options for the future. Each committee is to bring back a list of their pros/cons for their football fields to the August committee meeting.

So they would Co-op in everything besides Boys Basketball starting next year? Why not just combine in everything if you're already planning to combine some boys and girls sports?

So they would Co-op in everything besides Boys Basketball starting next year? Why not just combine in everything if you're already planning to combine some boys and girls sports?

Boys basketball is included, Alumni probably just inadvertently left it off the list.

Boys basketball is included, Alumni probably just inadvertently left it off the list.
It has nothing to do with Alumni leaving it off the list. I believe he got this straight from their school board minutes and neither Emerson school board minutes nor Wakefield school board minutes has boys basketball listed as a possible co-op in 2020-2021. I don't think they would both leave that out if there were talks to co-op boys basketball too. I believe it will eventually happen, but there's a good chance it won't happen until 2021-2022

It has nothing to do with Alumni leaving it off the list. I believe he got this straight from their school board minutes and neither Emerson school board minutes nor Wakefield school board minutes has boys basketball listed as a possible co-op in 2020-2021. I don't think they would both leave that out if there were talks to co-op boys basketball too. I believe it will eventually happen, but there's a good chance it won't happen until 2021-2022

Could be wrong but I dont believe that is the case. From my understanding boys basketball is included but I agree it's odd and makes me wonder why all three have it left off.

Guys,

It's not on the list because it's not being talked about for the co-op that would begin next year.

Their reasoning for waiting on basketball is because they believe they will have 60 boys basketball players between the 3 schools during the next 2 year cycle. The boards thought this might be one sport to hold off on until a later date.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT