ADVERTISEMENT

New Coop - Wakefield - Allen - Emerson Hubbard

Guys,

It's not on the list because it's not being talked about for the co-op that would begin next year.

Their reasoning for waiting on basketball is because they believe they will have 60 boys basketball players between the 3 schools during the next 2 year cycle. The boards thought this might be one sport to hold off on until a later date.
I believe you have this right and I can follow their reasoning. Three smaller schools, have probably 5 players or so per grades 9 thru 12, would be about 60 athletes. What will happen, just like it happens at larger schools, is the whittling down process will begin much sooner. Assuming there is a 12 man freshman roster, a 12 man JV roster, and a 12 man varsity roster, that leaves room for about 48 kids. And there will undoubtedly be overlap, a freshman or sophomore, that will be on then JV and maybe even the varsity. Kids will see the writing on the wall, and decide not to go out. Fewer opportunities, means fewer kids on the floor. If you were trying to sell this to the communities, maybe it would be easier to sell it for football first, get the kids playing together, and maybe they can help sell it to the parents. But mark my words, some parent will be upset because their kid is not get the chance to be the 12th man on a D-1 team because the combined school is now C1 or C2.

Link: http://waynedailynews.com/local-spo...vember-1-other-sport-opportunities-discussed/

- The three schools need to decide at least on football soon as the deadline for the next two-year NSAA cycle to submit new coops is November 1

- As mentioned by others, boys basketball is currently not being included in coop discussions, but all other sports are

- Seems quite a few Wakefield residents would like to start with just football, see how that goes, and then move from there.

Deadline for Three-School Football Cooperative Agreement Is Needed by November 1, Other Sport Opportunities Discussed
by Aaron Scheffler, WayneDailyNews.com

WAKEFIELD - Several questions came about from Wakefield community members on the possibility of a cooperative agreement among Allen and Emerson-Hubbard.

From the main gymnasium, the Wakefield Community School Board of Education opened their first agenda item being a sports coop meeting Tuesday evening.

For the next hour and a half superintendent of Wakefield, Mark Bejot; head football coach Mike Hassler and several board members would answer questions from a notecard and address questions from the crowd.

Mr. Bejot said the coop board would have to meet and put together their agreement between the schools with a deadline approaching within a couple of months for football.

"Then onc we put the agreement together then it's going to need to come to the boards for approval," said Bejot. "Then it has to be submitted to the NSAA by November 1; so we've got some work to do."

The main focus of the coop would be for the fall football season next season (2020) and in two years (2021) as Wakefield is currently on the second-year of a two-year cycle. After next season, the team will see a sharp decline in football players to around 16 and would need the assistance from other schools. Discussion began in late May, early June with a three-team football program then proposed.

With football numbers in the upper 40s, the three-school team would compete in 11-man football at the Class C1 level. A coop can be created from up to four schools as football is the only Nebraska sport with a two-year cycle.

The possibility of adding other sports was also mentioned. Currently, Wakefield and Allen coop for high school volleyball, girls basketball, wrestling, and boys golf as well as junior high sports. The possibility of adding Allen and Emerson-Hubbard to the occasion would bring forth new sports such as softball, cross country, and girls golf along with cheerleading and dance. The three schools would coop in all sports except boys basketball. Many of the community members voiced their opinion of starting with football and going from there.

"We continue to work on coop components," Bejot added. "Looking at where are we're going to go down the road with the other sports and the other parts of the programs. And we'll those discussions."

More items that still need to be discussed will be the possibility of a name, mascot, and color change. Three board members from each school (Wakefield, Allen and Emerson-Hubbard) along with each school's superintendent have attended their coop meetings and will next come together in Allen on Wednesday, August 28.

From what I have heard the Allen school board passed the go ahead with the coop at their meeting. Emerson has their meeting next week I believe and was also expected to pass. However, Wakefield had their board meeting last night and for whatever reason now the coop did not pass. Hopefully they can get whatever issue they were having about it resolved and at least get the football cooping passed before the November deadline.

From what I have heard the Allen school board passed the go ahead with the coop at their meeting. Emerson has their meeting next week I believe and was also expected to pass. However, Wakefield had their board meeting last night and for whatever reason now the coop did not pass. Hopefully they can get whatever issue they were having about it resolved and at least get the football cooping passed before the November deadline.

From their September 11 board meeting (Wakefield):

Wakefield / Emerson-Hubbard / Allen Consolidated Cooperative
- The committee met in Allen on Aug. 28

- The student, staff and community meetings in Wakefield were discussed. There was good discussions at all three meetings. A common question was regarding identity with the changing of mascot, name and school colors. Questions were raised about other opportunities outside athletics. Staff was concerned about position elimination if consolidation happens in the future. The committee felt communication is very important. This is all new and will take time to adjust.

- The Wakefield committee members expressed concern about moving too fast with the mascot and color change when the final decision to move forward has not been officially made.

- Since Wakefield and Allen has been cooping wrestling and girls athletics, Allen did not feel it was reasonable to have a two-year "trial run" before changing mascot and name. Allen and Emerson understand the concern over losing identity, but why should they be the only one's changing?

- Allen asked Wakefield if they would feel more comfortable waiting two more years to coop football. In the meantime, Allen and Emerson would coop football. The coaching staff at Wakefield is not comfortable waiting to coop due to low participation numbers.

- The committee felt a full coop is more equal with a new name, color and mascot.

- Mr. Bejot felt the Wakefield board members want to slow down and just take care of immediate needs. Emerson's girls have an immediate need.

- Allen and Emerson felt Wakefield is not considering the needs of the other two schools

- Allen felt that if Wakefield is not willing to move forward with the full coop including name and mascot change, they need to make other decisions, such as cooping their athletics with Emerson.

- The NSAA agreement needs to be filled out with all components, including name, color and mascot. Therefore the decision needs to be made now if we are moving forward with the football coop.

- Can the location of certain sports be negotiated?

- All three schools have the same threats and realities should a consolidation happen -- there will be the possibility of students and staff leaving

- Allen will not vote upon an incomplete timeline. It must be a full coop. If it doesn't include name and mascot at this time, they will concede that point for now, but it is strongly suggested to be the next vote

- Wakefield board members posed the question of playing under "Trojans" for a two-year cycle with new name and colors. Allen and Emerson did not agree

- Wakefield members would like to slow down on adding more fall girls sports

- Administration will meet to form a timeline that all three boards will vote on at the September board meetings

Wakefield member: "That guy from Allen kissed my girlfriend back in '92"
E/H member: "Wait a minute, that was my sister!"
Allen member: "I just wanted a date to go to prom"

Fight ensues....

I guarantee most of the kids could give 2 craps less & want to move forward . Parents with grudges & "by gosh that was my mascot & we're keeping it" screw everything up. I'm within driving distance of these schools. Might be fun to go watch the circus at future meetings!

Fight ensues....

I guarantee most of the kids could give 2 craps less & want to move forward . Parents with grudges & "by gosh that was my mascot & we're keeping it" screw everything up. I'm within driving distance of these schools. Might be fun to go watch the circus at future meetings!
What an embarrassing scene by Wakefield. Wake up, you don’t need “time”, you’ve had “time”. Consolidation is not new to northeast Nebraska. Studies have been done, you’ve done your research, parents and others need to look at 10 years down the road, not 10 days ahead. Allen and E-H have a good point, they shouldn’t be the ones having to cater to Wakefield.

How about this. Just call the new co-op Wakefield-Allen-Emerson Hubbard Trojans. I still have no idea why they come up with these crazy names and then nobody across the state knows who in the heck they are.

Every one cool their jets on here. The Co-op is not dead. From what I know the Wakefield Board is revoting on Monday. This is a case of School Board Members doing their jobs too and making sure all the "i's" and "t's" are dotted and crossed as we cross the "Co-op" bridge.

As for the name, come to the school runningback43 and tell the kids their name/mascot/colors are dumb. The student councils of 3 schools put their heads together, came up with ideas, and the 3 student bodies voted on it.

Easy to throw around opinions on a message board when you really truly have ZERO clue of what is happening behind the scenes fellas.

Last edited:
Every one cool their jets on here. The Co-op is not dead. From what I know the Wakefield Board is revoting on Monday. This is a case of School Board Members doing their jobs too and making sure all the "i's" and "t's" are doted and crossed as we cross the "Co-op" bridge.

As for the name, come to the school runningback43 and tell the kids their name/mascot/colors are dumb. The student councils of 3 schools put their heads together, came up with ideas, and the 3 student bodies voted on it.

Easy to throw around opinions on a message board when you really truly have ZERO clue of what is happening behind the scenes fellas.

I never said the name was dumb. Just asked a question of why co-ops come up with crazy names. Sorry if I struck a nerve, didn't mean to offend anybody.

Sorry, everything on here is in the context you read it in your head, I probably could have chosen a better word then "dumb". Quad County is probably a little Generic. Students just felt Wakefield-Allen-Emerson-Hubbard was too long. They played with initials... didn't work. The schools cover such a wide expanse of land they felt Quad County was their best option. Really wasn't a landmark in the the school districts that stood out either.

I never said the name was dumb. Just asked a question of why co-ops come up with crazy names. Sorry if I struck a nerve, didn't mean to offend anybody.

Jeez, that got Buffalo riled up. Understandably as it's his school that were discussing and after all it's a Buffalo mascot! Ultimately this is a message board and people are free to give opinions.

Jeez, that got Buffalo riled up. Understandably as it's his school that were discussing and after all it's a Buffalo mascot! Ultimately this is a message board and people are free to give opinions.
Know they are entitled to their opinions.... but assumptions that Wakefield "needs to wake up" and that this co-op isn't happening because of old grudges is a bunch of b.s. I know for a fact that all three school boards have worked their rear ends off, have done their homework, and are trying to make sure that this is a successful co-op. This has not been easy for anyone. A lot of PRIDE in these small towns, but Wakefield, Allen, and Emerson-Hubbard understand that this is about the kids and what's best for them. They are working towards that. Still not November 1st yet (when football co-op paperwork is due). They still have time to iron some wrinkles out and hopefully make this thing happen. They are fully aware of the Nov. 1st deadline.

Reactions: runningback43
So you want to use the 9-syllable town names before you even mention the mascot?
I agree. It’s a mouthful. I personally like the new co-ops like Summerland and Hi-Line. As long as the schools do a good job of communicating the new name on social media and radio stations, newspapers should do it to.

Reactions: Ruttingbuck
So you want to use the 9-syllable town names before you even mention the mascot?
It's better then 90 percent of the state having no idea who you are when they see your team in scores or ratings. I guess I'm pry in the minority but I could care less about the mascot. I just get frustrated when I look at ratings, or point standings,or see something in the paper and it list Summerland, Hi-line, Blue River, etc. and I have no clues who it is?

It's better then 90 percent of the state having no idea who you are when they see your team in scores or ratings. I guess I'm pry in the minority but I could care less about the mascot. I just get frustrated when I look at ratings, or point standings,or see something in the paper and it list Summerland, Hi-line, Blue River, etc. and I have no clues who it is?
That’s why the schools, NSAA, and media need to do a better job of promoting the new schools name, who is part of the co-op or consolidation, etc. All schools should do something like High Plains has in their gym.

I do not like the crazy co-op names or crazy consolidated school names at all. I'd much rather have a 9 syllable name. At least then you know what towns the school represents. Wauneta-Palisade comes to mind. They probably could have came up with a name like Frenchman Valley, but nobody outside of that part of the state would know where in the heck Frenchman Valley is located.

Reactions: sportscabbie
The three school coop between Allen-Emerson’-Hubbard-Wakefield is NOT happening.

That is all I plan to post on the subject. In my opinion, thus is a very disappointing development.

As of now it looks like Wednesday’s vote was final. I have been one of the biggest supporters of this football Co-op. Unfortunately I need to “eat some crow” for my previous comments in this post as I had faith this was going to happen. I have no insight as to what went down. I too am extremely disappointed. So as for “the Wakefield needs to wake up” by NortheastNebraska, I’m sorry I jumped on you for that comment. I have no ground to stand on in defense of this decision. Assume away fellas, you are all entitled to your opinions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Llama57
As of now it looks like Wednesday’s vote was final. I have been one of the biggest supporters of this football Co-op. Unfortunately I need to “eat a some crow” for my previous comments in this post as I had faith this was going to happen. I have no insight as to what went down. I too am extremely disappointed. So as for “the Wakefield needs to wake up” by NortheastNebraska, I’m sorry I jumped on you for that comment. I have no ground to stand on in defense of this decision. Assume away fellas, you are all entitled to your opinions.
That’s is disappointing. Sorry you are the expense of it @Buff-alo.

The three school coop between Allen-Emerson’-Hubbard-Wakefield is NOT happening.

That is all I plan to post on the subject. In my opinion, thus is a very disappointing development.
So is Allen and EH? What happens with Wakefield-Allen’s co-op for girls sports?

I thought this was going to go up for a "revote" in the coming week(s).

So is the mascot/name issue what's holding this up for Wakefield? How'd it get so far along only to fail now?

As of now it looks like Wednesday’s vote was final. I have been one of the biggest supporters of this football Co-op. Unfortunately I need to “eat some crow” for my previous comments in this post as I had faith this was going to happen. I have no insight as to what went down. I too am extremely disappointed. So as for “the Wakefield needs to wake up” by NortheastNebraska, I’m sorry I jumped on you for that comment. I have no ground to stand on in defense of this decision. Assume away fellas, you are all entitled to your opinions.
I'm sorry to hear this. You've done a great job there.

It's Wakefield being Wakefield. They came to a 3-3 vote and have decided not to revote, but if I've heard right told Allen they would like to continue with the coop they already have with them? If true, Wakefield has now put Allen in a position to decide if they want to continue with just Wakefield and give Emerson no consideration at all now like Wakefield seems to be doing (I would hope Allen has more integrity than that) or go with E-H without Wakefield. I think if Allen and E-H decide to coop together they would still struggle for girls numbers so that would not be a good thing. And if Allen discontinues with Wakefield then Wakefield is going to struggle with numbers in football and that is not a good thing. I guess Allen could always look at other schools as options (and I wouldn't blame them at this point), but who knows what either Allen and Emerson are going to decide. This whole thing has just turned into a fiasco. If some of Wakefield's board members had doubts about the coop or knew they weren't planning on passing this three way coop, why let it get this far? Or if some of their board members thought their kids wouldn't get playing time with the new coop then tell your kid to get their butts out there and look at ways to improve. The three schools already had a new name and mascot all picked out and approved and ready to go. Heck, they all even started cooping all Jr. High sports with each other this school year already and apparently it's going good so far. I guess it was even in both the Ponca and Wakefield papers that this coop was pretty much going to happen. Unfortunately sometimes school board members DO NOT know what is best for their own students and school. I think this gives Wakefield a huge black eye. Hopefully Wakefield comes to their senses and will do a revote.

too bad for all involved, someones ego probably got hurt and now the towns and communities and athletes will be the ones who suffer. guess it's time to move along. I do have a question though, will this hurt the coop between allan and wakefield girls on the hardwood.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
The timeframe on this, thanks to Wakefield, just stinks. With the football declaration date approaching all three schools are in a tough spot.

Emerson in a way got a taste of their own medicine again. Two years ago Pender approached them about cooping football but EH said no. Then when realizing their girls numbers would be low EH began talks with Allen about cooping. EH passed a vote to coop all but football with Allen. Next, Allen board passed a vote to coop girls sports only. EH then backed out and began talks with Pender about cooping all sports just months after turning them down on football. Allen began talks with Wakefield and ended up cooping volleyball and girls basketball. Pender turned EH down and EH has competed alone the past two years.

The leadership at these schools involved can't seem to think ahead one bit. They are all having the same problems but yet can't work together to find a solution for everyone.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
The timeframe on this, thanks to Wakefield, just stinks. With the football declaration date approaching all three schools are in a tough spot.

Emerson in a way got a taste of their own medicine again. Two years ago Pender approached them about cooping football but EH said no. Then when realizing their girls numbers would be low EH began talks with Allen about cooping. EH passed a vote to coop all but football with Allen. Next, Allen board passed a vote to coop girls sports only. EH then backed out and began talks with Pender about cooping all sports just months after turning them down on football. Allen began talks with Wakefield and ended up cooping volleyball and girls basketball. Pender turned EH down and EH has competed alone the past two years.

The leadership at these schools involved can't seem to think ahead one bit. They are all having the same problems but yet can't work together to find a solution for everyone.
Exactly. Think 10 years ahead. Not 10 days.

Any word on the future of Allen and Wakefield? How about football next year for the two?

Why did Wakefield back out but still interested in cooping with Allen? What was it about EH that made Wakefield changed their minds?

Fight ensues....

Wakefield/Allen play Emerson-Hubbard in volleyball at Allen Thursday night!

source.gif

Exactly. Think 10 yea
Any word on the future of Allen and Wakefield? How about football next year for the two?

Why did Wakefield back out but still interested in cooping with Allen? What was it about EH that made Wakefield changed their minds?
I don't think it had anything to do with E-H. The speculation that's going around is that it might be more like some of the Wakefield board members are being selfish? As in not wanting to change mascot, name and colors and worried about their kid's playing time. If Allen continues with them (it's still just the girls that are doing HS in vb and bball at this point, boys are JH coop only) then there would probably be no change of colors, name or mascot. If that is why they voted no, then shame on them. If Allen decides to no longer co-op with Wakefield and they go with someone else, then of course Wakefield and Allen cooping boys will no longer be a choice and Wakefield will more than likely have to worry about football numbers. This no vote by the Wakefield board has blindsided everyone, including their own community. The Wakefield board members nor their administration are answering any questions (refusing is a good word) that people are asking, and apparently there are a lot of people that are asking too. I've heard they didn't even give E-H or Allen board or administration a reason why all of a sudden the no vote. Not that they have to, but it probably would be nice.
If you all think you will see harsh feelings between the citizens of the 3 communities Thurs night, I don't know if it will happen. I think everyone understands it was the Wakefield school boards decision and not any of the community members or students of the 3 school districts.

I don't think it had anything to do with E-H. The speculation that's going around is that it might be more like some of the Wakefield board members are being selfish? As in not wanting to change mascot, name and colors and worried about their kid's playing time. If Allen continues with them (it's still just the girls that are doing HS in vb and bball at this point, boys are JH coop only) then there would probably be no change of colors, name or mascot. If that is why they voted no, then shame on them. If Allen decides to no longer co-op with Wakefield and they go with someone else, then of course Wakefield and Allen cooping boys will no longer be a choice and Wakefield will more than likely have to worry about football numbers. This no vote by the Wakefield board has blindsided everyone, including their own community. The Wakefield board members nor their administration are answering any questions (refusing is a good word) that people are asking, and apparently there are a lot of people that are asking too. I've heard they didn't even give E-H or Allen board or administration a reason why all of a sudden the no vote. Not that they have to, but it probably would be nice.

If you all think you will see harsh feelings between the citizens of the 3 communities Thurs night, I don't know if it will happen. I think everyone understands it was the Wakefield school boards decision and not any of the community members or students of the 3 school districts.
So embarrassing on all accounts for Wakefield.

Was the inclusion of boys basketball into the coop the downfall?

Originally boys BB was not going to be a part of the coop because of the participation numbers, particularly at Wakefield.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT