ADVERTISEMENT

Possible conference shakeup?

- the GNAC no longer exists, so it won't be merging with anyone. McCook went SWC; Lex to Central; Hastings to EMC; Scottsbluff and Gering are already Western, and doesn't North Platte have some affiliate arrangement with them?
Is McCook a full member of the SWC now? I thought they double dipped in the GNAC and SWC.

Would like to see Lex go back to the SWC.

Last edited:
What does the future of the Grand Island school district hold? That school is getting huge with their 3 year enrollment being 2,050 this year. In 02/03 it was 1,362. In 12/13 it was 1,608. How much can that school hold? Any talk of a second high school?
I've always thought another high school would be in the works, but doesn't seem on the radar.

GIPS will get a little relief when the GICC elementary school opens next fall.

Reactions: TC53
Any other high schools expecting to see significant growth in the next 20 years?Obviously Bennington, Elkhorn, Papio LV, Gretna, Bennington, Lincoln will continue to see growth. Norris, Waverly, and Bellevue seem to not have grown much but their population is growing. How long till they grow? Seems like the Norfolk, Columbus, Fremont, type cities are seeing housing increases. Guessing their school systems will grow as a result. A lot of talk locally about a housing boom in South Sioux City happening in the next 10 years as they are expecting 2,400 new units by 2030.
I will be shocked if Bennington doesn't have a second high school by 2028 or so. They are bursting, they need another high school off State street.

What I hear from Bennington is that they have a good old school/new school clash going on and that has second high school on hold even though the demographics seem to make that a must. Sounds like some of the old school people are counting on the nearness to Omaha Westview to handle some of the growth if they just don't do anything.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
What I hear from Bennington is that they have a good old school/new school clash going on and that has second high school on hold even though the demographics seem to make that a must. Sounds like some of the old school people are counting on the nearness to Omaha Westview to handle some of the growth if they just don't do anything.
Which could happen, I still think Westview will take some kids from Burke and Northwest as well.

Within Bennington's district lines, it seems like they better build another school before houses take over. 186th and State or Rainwood would be an ideal location for a new campus.

Eastern Midlands currently sits with

Bennington
Blair
Elkhorn
Elkhorn North
Gretna
Gretna East
Hastings
Lincoln Northwest
Lincoln Standing Bear
Norris
Waverly

Pius makes an awful lot of sense there, getting to an even 12.

Trailblazer makes no sense. Pius coming from A with Malcolm who is often times C2. It would also make 9 teams.

Eastern Midlands currently sits with

Bennington
Blair
Elkhorn
Elkhorn North
Gretna
Gretna East
Hastings
Lincoln Northwest
Lincoln Standing Bear
Norris
Waverly

Pius makes an awful lot of sense there, getting to an even 12.

Trailblazer makes no sense. Pius coming from A with Malcolm who is often times C2. It would also make 9 teams.
Agree that EMC makes sense if they want them, and more so that the Trailblazer. Malcolm hasn't been C2 though in anything other than football in 5-10 years. They play Pius in some lower level games.

There is no way the Trailblazer will ever add a private school. Just will not happen.

EMC makes the most sense for Pius. EMC makes sense for Skutt as well. Disband the RCC.

There is no way the Trailblazer will ever add a private school. Just will not happen.

EMC makes the most sense for Pius. EMC makes sense for Skutt as well. Disband the RCC.
Oh man, I'd HATE to see the River Cities Conference go away. Some legendary battles in the RCC tournament, and some really strong athletic schools. Mt Michael, Skutt Catholic, Gross Catholic, Roncalli. Pius makes a lot of sense in that conference, too. Nebraska doesn't want to get into this super conference junk that is happening in college football. Keep as many conferences as sustainable.

I'd think River Cities is the only option. EMC has said no to Skutt at least once and maybe more than that; I can't imagine them seeing Pius differently. Really, they are in a demo crunch. When they go B, they suddenly have only one peer school, Skutt. Roncalli and Gross are closer to the Centennial Conference demo. SSC is in the River Cities because their best demo matches are Hastings and Scottsbluff and that's not a good conference geographical fit. That gives the RCC a catch-all feel that might make them willing to take in the Bolts. Especially with Ralston and Beatrice out of there now, that's two fewer veto points. Beatrice might have been open to it, but I don't see Ralston liking that.

I see Pius returning to Independent status until they return to A. Interested what their long-term plan is. I was told by Pius coaches a decade or so ago that the move to Class A was part of the school's business plan. They felt they had to be Class A to make the school model work. Do they still think that, and this is just a blip? Are they re-sizing back to B on purpose?

Really, in the old days, independent status only caused them problems in football where they were stuck with 7-game schedules and out-of-state games in several years. Now, the state takes care of that. Now, they don't have some of their old rivalries, like Seward, Norris, and Lexington to anchor the basketball schedule. Will they be able to get similar games back?

Oh man, I'd HATE to see the River Cities Conference go away. Some legendary battles in the RCC tournament, and some really strong athletic schools. Mt Michael, Skutt Catholic, Gross Catholic, Roncalli. Pius makes a lot of sense in that conference, too. Nebraska doesn't want to get into this super conference junk that is happening in college football. Keep as many conferences as sustainable.
I liked how the RCC used to be, it's just not that anymore.

I'd be interested in a merger or scheduling partnership of sorts between the Centennial and the RCC. Skutt and Pius are more similar than Skutt and Roncalli/Gross. So they can go Indy or attempt to join the EMC.

Have two conferences. East teams can still schedule west teams if they wish. Play your division tourney and the winners of each division play each other for the conference title. Something like that.

East league:
Roncalli
Gross
Mt. Michael (boys only)
Boys Town (boys only)
Mercy (girls only)
Duchesne (girls only)
Concordia
Bergan

West League:
Aquinas
Scotus
GICC
St. Cecilia
Lincoln Christian
Lincoln Lutheran
Bishop Neumann
Kearney Catholic

• Love
Reactions: saluno22
I really don't get this move by Pius? They are competitive in every sport for the most part in Class A. They are 20 kids less a grade from being a true A school, which is nothing when you consider they have private school numbers. They can still play Class B football. Why would you want to leave a sure thing like th HAC, where they have been very good? Why cause that type of travel on families? I don't get what they are running from. They can play Class B football and compete still more than fine in the other sports within the HAC. Very few Class B schools are going to be fired up to schedule them.

To me, it's more about boys basketball. They can probably win Class B basketball, but in Class A they are a fringe top 10 team. I was told the admin made this call on their own, and the meeting scheduled to discuss it was canceled this week. I can't imagine this is sitting well with everyone there. The EMC has already turned them away this year. The RCC is their only option at this point, and that league now has two Class C-1 schools in Gross and Roncalli who have only 70 to 100 kids per grade. Pius class sizes are close to 280 per grade.

Reactions: saluno22
You got that right. No chance. Zero.

When I see things like this, I have zero idea why they would leave this conference. They are more than competitive in everything else, and football can still play Class B. Now what championships will their athletes get to compete for during the regular season if they don't get into a new league?

When I see things like this, I have zero idea why they would leave this conference. They are more than competitive in everything else, and football can still play Class B. Now what championships will their athletes get to compete for during the regular season if they don't get into a new league?

I could be wrong, but I thought there was something written in the HAC by laws that doesn't allow teams that are class B to have membership in the conference.

I could be wrong, but I thought there was something written in the HAC by laws that doesn't allow teams that are class B to have membership in the conference.
Correct. To be a member in the HAC, schools must be Class A in everything except football. Pius has been opting up to Class A in everything the last few years. Enrollment didn't seem to grow like they thought it would.

They are building new areas at Pius left and right, so they are trying to get more students.

Interesting take out of Bennington. When I first read it, I assumed the first vote was at the polls and they were hoping a mail-in ballot would do the trick (the belief is that in mail-ins you get only the people who really care and avoid a lot no's who just don't feel strongly but vote against paying). But, the first vote was mail-in too, so the drop in size is going to have to carry the questions.

Correct, they have to opt up, other than in football, where they can play B since there is no conference set-up for football. They more than hold their own in the Class A level in everything. Basketball is the main sport they are going to have a heck of a time getting games.

https://norfolkdailynews.com/select...cle_00986f52-b997-11ee-b24d-1b589fba4828.html

New conference will showcase area teams
by Mike Renning, Norfolk Daily News

In the day and age where bigger conferences are better, at least for college sports, eight Northeast Nebraska high schools have decided to forego their bigger conferences and start a brand-new venture for the 2025-26 school year.

Three schools presently in the Lewis & Clark Conference (Laurel-Concord-Coleridge, Hartington-Newcastle and Plainview), four schools from the Niobrara Valley Conference (Neligh-Oakdale, West Holt, Summerland and Elkhorn Valley) and previously independent Lutheran High Northeast will join up in a couple of years to join a conference that is not named at the moment for high school activities.

"There's a lot to take care of at the moment without worrying about a name," Hartington-Newcastle principal Corey Uldrich said. "Each school had to approve the move which is kind of where we are at."

Ironically, none of the conference-affiliated schools were looking to move, Lutheran High has been looking for a conference for the past few years, but what was a pipedream is becoming a reality.

"We were just looking for more opportunities for our students and thought we would just feel out the landscape," Uldrich said. "We looked at some schools in the area that were around the same enrollment and would keep an enrollment to match everyone we had asked to attend the first meeting."

Uldrich did his homework, put together some figures and made a case for the new venture.

"It's all about additional opportunities for our activities," Uldrich said. "It's not just about sports -- that's part of it -- but it's about music, drama, speech, football, basketball, track, wrestling and maybe some new adventures."

Lutheran High has been looking for a conference affiliation for the past couple of years and welcomed the opportunity to join.

"Getting into this conference allows us some scheduling stability, and not just for athletics," LHNE activities director Preston Sunderman said. "It will expand opportunities for our students, athletically and in other aspects pertaining to other activities."

Laurel-Concord-Coleridge is looking forward to the new conference for basically the same reasons.

"We weren't looking to go anywhere, but you always need to listen to new ideas and something different," LCC activities director Quin Conner said. "Our administration saw this as a better fit for us. We weren't looking to get out of the Lewis & Clark, but this will be better for all of our students."

Conner noted the size of the schools in the new conference.

"The schools in the new conference are more in line with our school," he said. "We will hopefully have more opportunities for everyone in both sports and activities."

Thew Lewis & Clark Conference involves 17 schools from Class D2 up to C1 and geographically goes from Winnebago to Creighton.

The Niobrara Valley Conference is currently comprised of a dozen teams and geographically runs from Elkhorn Valley to Keya Paha in Springview.

The change would diminish the Lewis & Clark to 14 teams and the NVC to eight.

"The geography was part of it," Uldrich said. "But in the end, it was more about opportunities for our students."

All eight school boards involved have approved the conference change with the task of conference bylaws and everything that goes with that to be determined.......including a name.

Last edited:
Ponca is joining the Mid-State Conference in 2024-2025.

norfolkdailynews.com

Ponca, Wakefield switching conferences

After eight schools recently formed a new conference, other schools are moving from existing conferences to enhance experiences for their students and to find a better fit elsewhere.
norfolkdailynews.com
norfolkdailynews.com

Ponca, Wakefield Switching Conferences
by Mike Renning, Norfolk Daily News

After eight schools recently formed a new conference, other schools are moving from existing conferences to enhance experiences for their students and to find a better fit elsewhere.

Wakefield recently voted to accept an invitation to the East Husker Conference and the Ponca school board recently accepted an invitation to compete in the Mid-State Conference beginning in the 2024-25 school year.

"It just made sense for us," Wakefield superintendent Matt Farup said. "We didn't go out looking for a new conference, but with the schools leaving the Lewis & Clark Conference, we thought it was a good time to check around and see what's out there and what fits best for our students."

Hartington-Newcastle, Laurel-Concord-Coleridge, and Plainview recently voted to leave the Lewis & Clark Conference in the 2025-26 school year to join four Niobrara Valley Conference schools -- Neligh-Oakdale, West Holt, Elkhorn Valley and Summerland -- along with former independent Lutheran High Northeast to form a yet unnamed conference.

"We felt we needed to get to a conference with schools that are more our size," Farup said. "We didn't set out to leave the Lewis & Clark. We just felt like this was the right time, and we're excited to get into the East Husker."

Ditto for Ponca.

"We have mixed feelings here at Ponca," longtime athletic director and coach Bob Hayes said. "I've played and coached in the Lewis & Clark Conference for longer than I care to admit, but there are a lot of relationships and memories from that conference."

At the same time, Hayes realizes there is a new opportunity.

"We're very excited to get into the Mid-State," he said. "The schools are more our size, and the talent in all aspects of extra-curricular activities is really good. The fine arts, speech, drama and music is really, really good. The athletics, we all know about."

Wakefield was one of the founding members of the East Husker Conference back in the 1940s according to Farup, and left there to join the Lewis & Clark n the '70s.

"We're excited for our students for sure," Farup said. "The East Husker will give us opportunities and, for us, it's kind of going back home."

Ponca is also looking forward to its new opportunities.

"There are no ill feelings towards the Lewis & Clark or any of its members," Hayes said. "We'll miss a lot of people we have developed relationships with over the years. This was just too good of an opportunity to pass up for our kids and the school."

Existing members of the Mid-State are excited to have Ponca join as well.

"They will fit into our conference," Norfolk Catholic athletic director and football coach Jeff Bellar said. "We've been a nine-member conference for a while, and 10 is just a better number. I really think this will be better for us all."

* Ainsworth withdraws from Southwest Conference

(Posted 7 a.m. Feb. 13 from KBRB in Ainsworth)

The Ainsworth Community Schools Board of Education voted unanimously Monday to officially exit the Southwest Conference following the 2023-24 school year.

The board has discussed its conference affiliation for the past several meetings, weighing the size and distance of a majority of the conference schools against the opportunities provided by remaining in the conference.

Superintendent Dale Hafer said he attended the Southwest Conference Superintendents meeting in January. He said all of the schools were supportive and voted to allow Ainsworth to withdraw its membership from the conference if the board chose that route.

“I think we’ve done the right thing,” Hafer said. “We have taken our time with this, and we have received a lot of input. I think there will be an opportunity for us to be in a conference in the future.”

Hafer said Activities Director Luke Wroblewski was working to add games to next year’s basketball schedule against O’Neill St. Mary’s, Neligh-Oakdale, Anselmo-Merna and others with the goal of replacing some of the Southwest Conference Schools currently on the basketball schedule.

Hafer said the school plans to keep playing against Valentine, Broken Bow and Cozad, but will likely drop games against other SWC members Ogallala, McCook, Holdrege, Minden and Gothenburg.

He said the school was actively working on additional opportunities in the fine arts as well.

Ainsworth joined the Southwest Conference during the 2005-06 school year following the dissolution of the Rangeland Conference and will complete its 20th and final year in the SWC this year.

I the late 60s, the Rangeland was:
Ainsworth
Chadron
Crawford
Gordon
O'Neill
Rushville
Valentine

At one point, it was big enough to have divisions and play a football playoff.

Reactions: DonlugoQ
So..........

Are Ainsworth and Pius X planning to compete as independents in 2024-25?

Will the new Archangels Catholic (Humphrey St. Francis/Holy Family) compete in the Goldenrod? Will Humphrey/Lindsay Academy stay in East Husker?

So..........

Are Ainsworth and Pius X planning to compete as independents in 2024-25?

Will the new Archangels Catholic (Humphrey St. Francis/Holy Family) compete in the Goldenrod? Will Humphrey/Lindsay Academy stay in East Husker?
Ainsworth for sure.

Have to imagine Pius will but can’t see them doing that for long. Ideal situation would be Pius and Skutt join the EMC.

Not sure on the Humphrey schools but I cant see them changing. Even though Humphrey/Lindsay would be a good fit in the Goldenrod, the Goldenrod is at 10 playing schools now with Spalding Academy co-opting all sports with Riverside.

Goldenrod Conference
Burwell
Central Valley
Elba
Fullerton
Heartland Lutheran
Humphrey St. Francis
Nebraska Christian
Palmer
Riverside
St. Edward/Newman Grove

Skutt is in the River Cities Conference, which is an awesome league. Doesn't make sense for them to leave. Skutt-Roncalli-South Sioux-Gross-Mt Michael. Bring Pius to them and now you have 6. EMC has no reason to expand, especially considering Bennington and Gretna will have more schools at some point (assuming Bennington finally passes a bond).

The EMC rejected Pius' attempt to join, apparently. No interest in bringing them in. No official effort by either Pius or the RCC to have them join, although there are plenty of conversation. Looks like Pius has the choice between a very unlikely membership in the RCC or going independent.

Reactions: Alum-Ni
The EMC rejected Pius' attempt to join, apparently. No interest in bringing them in. No official effort by either Pius or the RCC to have them join, although there are plenty of conversation. Looks like Pius has the choice between a very unlikely membership in the RCC or going independent.
Would be odd if the RCC said no to Pius.

I just wonder if Roncalli will be in the RCC if they are C1 in everything moving forward.

Did some checking on that Greater Nebraska Conference swim meet that Hastings hosts. It is called that because it needed a name. It is a 'conference' meet for all the swim co-ops that don't have a conference meet. I think that means the Trailblazer, EMC, RCC, and old GNAC teams (Western maybe you could say) that have swimming. It is a creature of swimming's particular structure. For example, Beatrice and Norris swim together (maybe with Fairbury?) even though they are Trailblazer and EMC schools, respectively. Because of the co-ops some teams wouldn't know which to conference meet to go to, and there would be very few teams (bc of things like all three Elkhorn schools combining for one team).

Reactions: Alum-Ni
Would be odd if the RCC said no to Pius.

I just wonder if Roncalli will be in the RCC if they are C1 in everything moving forward.

Pius is far bigger than Skutt. For example, Pius has 272 freshmen this year alone compared to 180 for Skutt, 127 for Gross and 77 for Roncalli. They are far bigger than all of those schools.

Three year numbers 9-11

Gross - 127-96-75
Roncalli - 77-94-68
Skutt - 180-185-193
Pius - 272-280-240

Once that class of 240 is out of Pius, they will be more like a three-year number of 825 and 850 is the number to be Class A.

Did some checking on that Greater Nebraska Conference swim meet that Hastings hosts. It is called that because it needed a name. It is a 'conference' meet for all the swim co-ops that don't have a conference meet. I think that means the Trailblazer, EMC, RCC, and old GNAC teams (Western maybe you could say) that have swimming. It is a creature of swimming's particular structure. For example, Beatrice and Norris swim together (maybe with Fairbury?) even though they are Trailblazer and EMC schools, respectively. Because of the co-ops some teams wouldn't know which to conference meet to go to, and there would be very few teams (bc of things like all three Elkhorn schools combining for one team).
The RCC has its own conference swim meet, for whatever that is worth. Trailblazer (Beatrice and Co-op schools) go out to the GNC meet I believe. Swimming is just a weird piece of Nebraska sports since so few schools have it, and msot that have it co-op with someone else.

Source: Kid that swims.

The RCC has its own conference swim meet, for whatever that is worth. Trailblazer (Beatrice and Co-op schools) go out to the GNC meet I believe. Swimming is just a weird piece of Nebraska sports since so few schools have it, and msot that have it co-op with someone else.

Source: Kid that swims.
Thanks. I went back and put River Cities in, thinking it must be involved. I think I also confused myself thinking Beatrice was still there!

large_3c3ac9c6-51e4-433d-8fee-1546df8d02b4.jpeg

Greater Northeast Activities Conference (GNAC) Formed by Eight Nebraska Schools

April 19, 2024 - In an exciting development for high school athletics and activities in Northeast Nebraska, eight schools have announced the formation of the Greater Northeast Activities Conference (GNAC). The participating schools include Elkhorn Valley, Hartington-Newcastle, Laurel-Concord-Coleridge, Lutheran High Northeast, Neligh-Oakdale, Plainview, Summerland and West Holt for the 2024-2025 school year.

The decision to establish the GNAC comes as a testament to the shared commitment of these schools to enhance student opportunities and elevate the level of competition in the region. By joining forces, the member schools aim to create a dynamic platform that fosters athletic excellence, academic achievement and personal growth among students.

While the formation of the GNAC represents a new chapter in Northeast Nebraska's high school sports landscape, it was not a decision taken lightly. Departing from the Lewis & Clark Conference and Niobrara Valley Conference was a difficult choice, reflective of the dedication these schools have towards providing the best possible experiences for their student-athletes.

As the GNAC takes shape, the member schools are excited about the prospects of expanding their offerings and providing even more avenues for student involvement and achievement. Through a diverse range of athletic competitions, academic events and extracurricular activities, the GNAC aims to empower students to reach their full potential and make lasting contributions to their communities.

The Greater Northeast Activities Conference is poised to compete at high levels in athletics and activities, serving as a source of pride for the communities it represents. The member schools eagerly anticipate the inaugural season of the GNAC and the countless opportunities it will provide for their students.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT