ADVERTISEMENT

Possible conference shakeup?

Maxwell's Levy is 1.01 Brady is 1.05, and NP is 1.08. Not sure very many would vote for dissolving and agree to pay more.

And Brady's F/R lunch rate is 47%, Maxwell's is (*) which means it is either too high or too low to post because individual children might be identified. Assume it is low. Those are too very different districts.

I love SPVA. One of the states oldest conferences, but the time has come to an end. I'd like that to happen except bring NPSP to the Southwest with Hershey and Chase. NPSP already plays Gothenburg, Cozad, Ogallala and used to play Bow year in and year out too until a few years ago. They fit more in that league versus the RPAC.

NEW SOUTHWEST CONFERENCE (12)
Chase County*
NPSP*
Hershey*

Gothenburg
Cozad
McCook
Holdrege
Ogallala
Broken Bow
Minden
(Can keep Valentine or Ainsworth to be at 12 or they can move on to the NVC) This would be a solid league.

Kimball and Bport stay in the their western conferences.

Perkins County and Sutherland join the RPAC.

NEW REPUBLICAN PLAINS ACTIVITIES CONFERENCE (16)
Alma
Arapahoe
Bertrand
Cambridge
Dundy County-Stratton
Hitchcock County
Maxwell
Maywood/Hayes Center
Medicine Valley
Paxton
Southern Valley
Southwest
Wallace
Wauneta-Palisade
Sutherland*
Perkins County*
Not my territory of the state so i don't have a temperature on the feelings of those area teams for or against NPSP. What is the likelihood of those other two conferences and their teams wanting to exclude NPSP from joining their conference due to them being a private school? If you have them in the conference, they have to schedule them against somebody in the conference. I don't see all the teams in those two conferences being that excited about adding NPSP to the conference if you don't have to when they are a private school. Whether it is right, wrong, or indifferent, there is no rule saying you have to let a team into your conference because they are close and have no place else to go. Smaller public schools may not be able to influence change with a multiplier or classification, but they can sure try to work together and not allow them in an all public school conference. Take a look at what happened with Kearney Catholic. They were kicked out of their conference and found an eventual home in the Centennial Conference (all private school). The new Trailblazer Conference was created with one of the top qualifiers in mind being that you're not a private school.

Not my territory of the state so i don't have a temperature on the feelings of those area teams for or against NPSP. What is the likelihood of those other two conferences and their teams wanting to exclude NPSP from joining their conference due to them being a private school? If you have them in the conference, they have to schedule them against somebody in the conference. I don't see all the teams in those two conferences being that excited about adding NPSP to the conference if you don't have to when they are a private school. Whether it is right, wrong, or indifferent, there is no rule saying you have to let a team into your conference because they are close and have no place else to go. Smaller public schools may not be able to influence change with a multiplier or classification, but they can sure try to work together and not allow them in an all public school conference. Take a look at what happened with Kearney Catholic. They were kicked out of their conference and found an eventual home in the Centennial Conference (all private school). The new Trailblazer Conference was created with one of the top qualifiers in mind being that you're not a private school.

NPSP was a founding member of SPVA and has worked with the public schools in that area well for sometime. NPSP provides more depth to the conference and a logical chain link from in the line of schools in the area. I think the RPAC would say no, but I think the Southwest Conference would entertain it if they can get Hershey and Chase County too.

NPSP hasn't been winning at a high rate in all sports like Kearney Catholic was when they were in the LouPlatte. Kearney Catholic was winning state titles in volleyball, making deep playoff runs in football and had a great string of success in girls hoops during their time in the LouPlatte. It's a different situation, in my opinion.

NPSP boys basketball has done very well, as of late. This year, they had two regular season losses this year to...Ogallala and Cozad, two SWC schools. The first time the NPSP girls made state in school history was 2012. NPSP volleyball has only made state once in the last 11 years. The SWC in girls sports has been very good over the last 5 years in girls hoops. I think NPSP would bring another solid team, in the area to the conference.

Last edited:
Looking at schedules. NPSP, Hershey, Chase County already play many SWC schools in hoops and volleyball. It wouldn't be that big of a change for everyone.

Chase County VB: Ogallala, McCook, Minden, Gothenburg, and Bow
Chase County Basketball: Cozad, McCook, Ogallala, and Gothenburg.

Hershey VB: Bow, Ogallala, Holdrege, Cozad, McCook, Ainsworth, and Valentine
Hershey Basketball: Gothenburg, Cozad, Ogallala, Bow, Valentine, and Holdrege
, i
NPSP VB: Bow, Gothenburg, and Ogallala
NPSP BB: Ogallala, Gothenburg, and Cozad, (played Bow to start the year, every year, until last year)
I think that would be a non-starter for NPSP, probably Hershey, and maybe Chase County. You're talking about putting a middle of the pack D1 into pretty deep waters. Not that St Pats is afraid of that, and as you point out tries to schedule them (Keep in mind that Bow and Valentine both refused to renew contracts recently) but playing agains those schools week-in, week-out is a great way to not qualify for that sub state thing. A slip up in their sub district this year, with 4-5 more losses they don't even get the chance to be runner up.
Current Classification and enrollment:
McCook (B) 145
Holdredge (4th C1) 133
Ogallalla (5th) 129
Cozad (9th) 111
Minden (10th) 106
Gothenburg (18th) 99
Broken Bow (27th) 92
Chase County (33rd) 81
Hershey (11th C2) 53
North Platte St Pats (21st D1) 36

I can't possibly imagine ANY D1 would be interested in that repeated meat grinder.

So the new RPAC is...

Republican Plains Activities Conference: (16)
Alma
Arapahoe
Bertrand
Cambridge
Dundy County-Stratton
Hitchcock County
Maxwell
Maywood/Hayes Center
Medicine Valley
Paxton
Southern Valley
Southwest
Wallace
Wauneta-Palisade
Sutherland
Hi-Line

SPVA: (6) (Sutherland is removed)

Hershey
NPSP
Perkins County
Kimball
Bridgeport
Chase County

Fort Kearny Conference: (9) (Hi-Line is removed)
Amherst
Ansley/Litchfield
Axtell
Elm Creek
Loomis
Overton
Pleasanton
Sumner-Eddyville-Miller
Wilcox-Hildreth

So the new RPAC is...

Republican Plains Activities Conference: (16)
Alma
Arapahoe
Bertrand
Cambridge
Dundy County-Stratton
Hitchcock County
Maxwell
Maywood/Hayes Center
Medicine Valley
Paxton
Southern Valley
Southwest
Wallace
Wauneta-Palisade
Sutherland
Hi-Line

SPVA: (6) (Sutherland is removed)

Hershey
NPSP
Perkins County
Kimball
Bridgeport
Chase County

Fort Kearny Conference: (9) (Hi-Line is removed)
Amherst
Ansley/Litchfield
Axtell
Elm Creek
Loomis
Overton
Pleasanton
Sumner-Eddyville-Miller
Wilcox-Hildreth
Thanks. Does anybody know the divisions of the RPAC? I also wonder if there is a requirement to schedule (regular season) division mates, or conference wide? Not all leagues do.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Thanks. Does anybody know the divisions of the RPAC? I also wonder if there is a requirement to schedule (regular season) division mates, or conference wide? Not all leagues do.
That is what I am curious about as well. With that many teams, do schools try to rotate opponents on a yearly basis in volleyball and hoops? Or every few years?

That is what I am curious about as well. With that many teams, do schools try to rotate opponents on a yearly basis in volleyball and hoops? Or every few years?
If I had to venture a guess, it would be an expectaion/hope/requirement that you schedule those in your division and the others as practical/desired. Hopefully someone can enlighten us. I don't really get Sutherland's motives. I don't think a new conference is going to make much difference in the near future.

I believe that Sutherland will be in the West (Maxwell, MHC, Wallace, Hitchcock Co., Dundy Co.-Stratton, Paxton, and Wauneta-Palisade) and Hi-Line will be in the East (Bertrand, Alma, Arapaho, Southern Valley, Cambridge, Southwest, and Medicine Valley).

As to the scheduling commitments, I'm not sure exactly what they are, as Medicine Valley doesn't schedule Southern Valley in basketball or volleyball but yet are in the same division, but also regularly schedules Dundy County and Paxton. There is likely a certain percentage of your schedule that has to be conference games for basketball and volleyball and you can pick and choose your buddies and neighbors there. All other sports its a crapshoot.

Sutherland broke it down as being able to travel similar distances as their old conference and play competition that is more consistently of a sized school. I'm sure Hi-Line felt that they would experience something similar if not cut down on travel. Both schools already have played a pretty heavy RPAC schedule already.

The real big changes will be the elimination of the first-round byes for the tournaments. Whether or not there will need to be a division of the speech and/or track meets into east and west like the one-act contests are is still to be decided.

If I had to venture a guess, it would be an expectaion/hope/requirement that you schedule those in your division and the others as practical/desired. Hopefully someone can enlighten us. I don't really get Sutherland's motives. I don't think a new conference is going to make much difference in the near future.
I think for Sutherland a lot had to do with playing more Class D teams consistently. Pretty much everybody in the RPAC except Southern Valley and Alma are D1 or D2 in everything. SV and Alma flip flop from C2 to D1 depending on their enrollment. Also travel too.

I wonder what happens with SPVA. With only four charter members left (NPSP, Hershey, Chase County and Perkins County), Bridgeport and Kimball being so far from the other schools, and it being a conference of six, just loses it's luster.

I think for Sutherland a lot had to do with playing more Class D teams consistently. Pretty much everybody in the RPAC except Southern Valley and Alma are D1 or D2 in everything. SV and Alma flip flop from C2 to D1 depending on their enrollment. Also travel too.

I wonder what happens with SPVA. With only four charter members left (NPSP, Hershey, Chase County and Perkins County), Bridgeport and Kimball being so far from the other schools, and it being a conference of six, just loses it's luster.
I thought about travel too, but actually looking at it, assuming they play their division, the average trip is only 13 miles longer in the SPVA. And, considering the longest trip currently is all Interstate, I don't think time on the road changes much at all. If they play the other division, they're getting more travel. While Alma and Kimball are similar distance, for example, I bet I drive to Kimball 15 minutes, or more, faster than to Alma. Especially during planting or harvest. I do see the attraction of going from, exactly, middle of the pack in terms of enrollment, out of 7, to 2nd biggest out of 16. But near as I can see, it won't make a lot of difference in terms of competitiveness. Honestly.
If memory serves, the SPVA has been at 6 for much of it's tenure. Bridgeport and Kimball are recent acquisitions, and wasn't Maxwell in it, briefly, early 2000's? Early teens, maybe? I think they'll be fine. Two panhandle schools seem to like being in 2 conferences, and none of the rest really have realistic options. It will be interesting. It always is.

I believe that Sutherland will be in the West (Maxwell, MHC, Wallace, Hitchcock Co., Dundy Co.-Stratton, Paxton, and Wauneta-Palisade) and Hi-Line will be in the East (Bertrand, Alma, Arapaho, Southern Valley, Cambridge, Southwest, and Medicine Valley).

As to the scheduling commitments, I'm not sure exactly what they are, as Medicine Valley doesn't schedule Southern Valley in basketball or volleyball but yet are in the same division, but also regularly schedules Dundy County and Paxton. There is likely a certain percentage of your schedule that has to be conference games for basketball and volleyball and you can pick and choose your buddies and neighbors there. All other sports its a crapshoot.

Sutherland broke it down as being able to travel similar distances as their old conference and play competition that is more consistently of a sized school. I'm sure Hi-Line felt that they would experience something similar if not cut down on travel. Both schools already have played a pretty heavy RPAC schedule already.

The real big changes will be the elimination of the first-round byes for the tournaments. Whether or not there will need to be a division of the speech and/or track meets into east and west like the one-act contests are is still to be decided.
Hi Line is really interesting. I THINK that Elwood was in the FKC and Eustis-Farnam was in a predecessor of the RPAC. Or...vice-versa. Something like that, so for them to switch really isn't that shocking. And despite similar sized schools, year-in year-out the FKC is tough in hoops. Of course trading Amherst, Elm Creek, and Ansley-Litchfield for M-HC, DCS, and Southern Valley isn't as big a drop as it first seems, either. Thanks.

I thought about travel too, but actually looking at it, assuming they play their division, the average trip is only 13 miles longer in the SPVA. And, considering the longest trip currently is all Interstate, I don't think time on the road changes much at all. If they play the other division, they're getting more travel. While Alma and Kimball are similar distance, for example, I bet I drive to Kimball 15 minutes, or more, faster than to Alma. Especially during planting or harvest. I do see the attraction of going from, exactly, middle of the pack in terms of enrollment, out of 7, to 2nd biggest out of 16. But near as I can see, it won't make a lot of difference in terms of competitiveness. Honestly.
If memory serves, the SPVA has been at 6 for much of it's tenure. Bridgeport and Kimball are recent acquisitions, and wasn't Maxwell in it, briefly, early 2000's? Early teens, maybe? I think they'll be fine. Two panhandle schools seem to like being in 2 conferences, and none of the rest really have realistic options. It will be interesting. It always is.
Maxwell joined SPVA in 2008-2009 per the NSAA power points records. Before that they were in the Central Platte with Paxton, Eustis-Farnam, Arnold, Stapleton, Brady, and others.

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
Conference realignment takes effect today, July 1. The new makeup:

Capitol Conference
Arlington
Ashland-Greenwood
Conestoga
Douglas County West
Fort Calhoun
Logan View/Scribner-Snyder
Louisville
Raymond Central
Syracuse
Yutan

Centennial Conference
Boys Town (boys only)
Columbus Scotus
David City Aquinas
Fremont Bergan
Grand Island Central Catholic
Hastings St. Cecilia
Kearney Catholic
Lincoln Christian
Lincoln Lutheran
Omaha Concordia
Wahoo Neumann

Central Conference
Adams Central
Aurora
Columbus Lakeview
Crete
Grand Island Northwest
Lexington
Schuyler
Seward
York

Crossroads Conference
Bruning-Davenport/Shickley
Cross County
Dorchester
East Butler
Exeter-Milligan
Giltner
Hampton
High Plains
McCool Junction
Meridian
Nebraska Lutheran
Osceola
Shelby/Rising City

East Central Nebraska Conference
Auburn
Elmwood-Murdock
Falls City
Freeman
Johnson County Central
Mead
Palmyra
Weeping Water

East Husker Conference
Bancroft-Rosalie
Clarkson/Leigh
Howells-Dodge
Humphrey/Lindsay Holy Family
Lyons-Decatur Northeast
Madison
North Bend
Oakland-Craig
Pender
Stanton
Tekamah-Herman
Twin River
West Point-Beemer
Wisner-Pilger

Eastern Midlands Conference
Bennington
Blair
Elkhorn
Elkhorn North
Hastings
Lincoln Northwest
Lincoln Standing Bear
Norris
Waverly

Fort Kearny Conference
Amherst
Ansley/Litchfield
Axtell
Elm Creek
Hi-Line
Loomis
Overton
Pleasanton
Sumner-Eddyville-Miller
Wilcox-Hildreth

Frontier Conference
Boys Town (girls only)
Cedar Bluffs
College View Academy
Cornerstone Christian
Heartland Christian (Iowa)
Omaha Brownell-Talbot
Omaha Christian
Parkview Christian
Whiting (Iowa)

Goldenrod Conference
Burwell
Central Valley
Elba
Fullerton
Heartland Lutheran
Humphrey St. Francis
Nebraska Christian
Palmer
Riverside
Spalding Academy
St. Edward

Greater Nebraska Athletic Conference
Gering
Hastings
McCook
North Platte
Scottsbluff

Heartland Athletic Conference
Columbus
Fremont
Grand Island
Kearney
Lincoln East
Lincoln High
Lincoln North Star
Lincoln Northeast
Lincoln Pius X
Lincoln Southeast
Lincoln Southwest
Norfolk

Independents
Lutheran High Northeast
Omaha Nation
Omaha Street School

Lewis & Clark Conference
Bloomfield
Creighton
Hartington-Newcastle
Homer
Laurel-Concord-Coleridge
Osmond
Plainview
Ponca
Randolph
Tri County Northeast
Wakefield
Walthill
Wausa
Winnebago
Winside
Wynot

LouPlatte Conference
Arcadia/Loup City
Central City
Centura
Doniphan-Trumbull
Gibbon
Ord
Ravenna
St. Paul
Wood River

Metro Conference
Bellevue East
Bellevue West
Elkhorn South
Gretna
Gretna East
Millard North
Millard South
Millard West
Omaha Benson
Omaha Bryan
Omaha Buena Vista
Omaha Burke
Omaha Central
Omaha Creighton Prep
Omaha Marian
Omaha North
Omaha Northwest
Omaha South
Omaha Westside
Omaha Westview
Papillion-LaVista
Papillion-LaVista South

Mid-Nebraska Activities Conference
Anselmo-Merna
Arthur County
Brady
Cody-Kilgore
Hyannis
Mullen
Sandhills Valley
Sandhills/Thedford
South Loup
Twin Loup

Mid-State Conference
Battle Creek
Boone Central/Newman Grove
Crofton
Guardian Angels Central Catholic
Hartington Cedar Catholic
Norfolk Catholic
O'Neill
Pierce
Wayne

Minuteman Activities Conference
Bayard
Banner County
Creek Valley
Garden County
Leyton
Minatare
Potter-Dix
South Platte

MUDECAS
Diller-Odell
Exeter-Milligan
Falls City Sacred Heart
Freeman
Humboldt-Table Rock-Steinauer
Johnson-Brock
Johnson County Central
Lewiston
Meridian
Palmyra
Parkview Christian
Pawnee City
Southern
Sterling
Tri County

Niobrara Valley Conference
Atkinson West Holt
Boyd County
Chambers/Wheeler Central
Elgin/Elgin Pope John
Elkhorn Valley
Neligh-Oakdale
Niobrara/Verdigre
North Central
O'Neill St. Mary's
Santee
Stuart
Summerland

Panhandle Conference
Crawford
Edgemont (South Dakota)
Hay Springs
Hemingford
Morrill
Sioux County

Pioneer Conference
Diller-Odell
Falls City Sacred Heart
Friend
Johnson-Brock
Lewiston
Nebraska City Lourdes
Pawnee City
Southern
Sterling
Tri County

Republican Plains Activities Conference
Alma
Arapahoe
Bertrand
Cambridge
Dundy County-Stratton
Hitchcock County
Maxwell
Maywood/Hayes Center
Medicine Valley
Paxton
Southern Valley
Southwest
Wallace
Wauneta-Palisade

River Cities Conference
Elkhorn Mt. Michael
Omaha Duchesne
Omaha Gross
Omaha Mercy
Omaha Roncalli
Omaha Skutt
South Sioux City

South Platte Valley Association
Bridgeport
Chase County
Hershey
Kimball
North Platte St. Patrick's
Perkins County
Sutherland

Southern Nebraska Conference
Centennial
David City
Fairbury
Fillmore Central
Heartland
Milford
Sandy Creek
Superior
Sutton
Thayer Central
Wilber-Clatonia

Southwest Conference
Ainsworth
Broken Bow
Cozad
Gothenburg
Holdrege
McCook
Minden
Ogallala
Valentine

Trailblazer Conference
Ashland-Greenwood

Beatrice
Malcolm
Nebraska City
Platteview
Plattsmouth
Ralston
Wahoo

Twin Valley Conference
Blue Hill
Deshler
Franklin
Giltner
Harvard
Kenesaw
Lawrence-Nelson
Red Cloud
Shelton
Silver Lake

Western Conference
Alliance
Chadron
Gering
Mitchell
Scottsbluff
Sidney

Western Trails Conference
Bayard
Bridgeport
Gordon-Rushville
Hemingford
Kimball
Mitchell
Morrill

Conference realignment takes effect today, July 1. The new makeup:

Capitol Conference
Arlington
Ashland-Greenwood
Conestoga
Douglas County West
Fort Calhoun
Louisville
Raymond Central
Syracuse
Yutan

Centennial Conference
Boys Town (boys only)
Columbus Scotus
David City Aquinas
Fremont Bergan
Hastings St. Cecilia
Kearney Catholic
Lincoln Christian
Lincoln Lutheran
Omaha Concordia
Wahoo Neumann

Central Conference
Adams Central
Aurora
Columbus Lakeview
Crete
Grand Island Northwest
Lexington
Schuyler
Seward
York

Crossroads Conference
Cross County
Dorchester
East Butler
Exeter-Milligan
Giltner
Hampton
High Plains
McCool Junction
Meridian
Nebraska Lutheran
Osceola
Shelby/Rising City

East Central Nebraska Conference
Auburn
Elmwood-Murdock
Falls City
Freeman
Johnson County Central
Mead
Palmyra
Weeping Water

East Husker Conference
Bancroft-Rosalie
Clarkson/Leigh
Howells-Dodge
Humphrey/Lindsay Holy Family
Lyons-Decatur Northeast
Madison
North Bend
Oakland-Craig
Pender
Stanton
Tekamah-Herman
Twin River
West Point-Beemer
Wisner-Pilger

Eastern Midlands Conference
Bennington
Blair
Elkhorn
Elkhorn North
Hastings
Lincoln Northwest
Lincoln Standing Bear
Norris
Waverly

Fort Kearny Conference
Amherst
Ansley/Litchfield
Axtell
Elm Creek
Hi-Line
Loomis
Overton
Pleasanton
Sumner-Eddyville-Miller
Wilcox-Hildreth

Frontier Conference
Boys Town (girls only)
Cedar Bluffs
College View Academy
Cornerstone Christian
Heartland Christian (Iowa)
Omaha Brownell-Talbot
Omaha Christian
Parkview Christian
Whiting (Iowa)

Goldenrod Conference
Burwell
Central Valley
Elba
Fullerton
Heartland Lutheran
Humphrey St. Francis
Nebraska Christian
Palmer
Riverside
Spalding Academy
St. Edward

Greater Nebraska Athletic Conference
Gering
Hastings
McCook
North Platte
Scottsbluff

Heartland Athletic Conference
Columbus
Fremont
Grand Island
Kearney
Lincoln East
Lincoln High
Lincoln North Star
Lincoln Northeast
Lincoln Pius X
Lincoln Southeast
Lincoln Southwest
Norfolk

Independents
Lutheran High Northeast
Omaha Nation
Omaha Street School

Lewis & Clark Conference
Bloomfield
Creighton
Hartington-Newcastle
Homer
Laurel-Concord-Coleridge
Osmond
Plainview
Ponca
Randolph
Tri County Northeast
Wakefield
Walthill
Wausa
Winnebago
Winside
Wynot

LouPlatte Conference
Arcadia/Loup City
Central City
Centura
Doniphan-Trumbull
Gibbon
Ord
Ravenna
St. Paul
Wood River

Metro Conference
Bellevue East
Bellevue West
Elkhorn South
Gretna
Gretna East
Millard North
Millard South
Millard West
Omaha Benson
Omaha Bryan
Omaha Buena Vista
Omaha Burke
Omaha Central
Omaha Creighton Prep
Omaha Marian
Omaha North
Omaha Northwest
Omaha South
Omaha Westside
Omaha Westview
Papillion-LaVista
Papillion-LaVista South

Mid-Nebraska Activities Conference
Anselmo-Merna
Arthur County
Brady
Cody-Kilgore
Hyannis
Mullen
Sandhills Valley
Sandhills/Thedford
South Loup
Twin Loup

Mid-State Conference
Battle Creek
Boone Central/Newman Grove
Crofton
Guardian Angels Central Catholic
Hartington Cedar Catholic
Norfolk Catholic
O'Neill
Pierce
Wayne

Minuteman Activities Conference
Bayard
Banner County
Creek Valley
Garden County
Leyton
Minatare
Potter-Dix
South Platte

MUDECAS
Diller-Odell
Exeter-Milligan
Falls City Sacred Heart
Freeman
Johnson-Brock
Johnson County Central
Lewiston
Meridian
Palmyra
Parkview Christian
Pawnee City
Southern
Sterling
Tri County

Niobrara Valley Conference
Atkinson West Holt
Boyd County
Chambers/Wheeler Central
Elgin/Elgin Pope John
Elkhorn Valley
Neligh-Oakdale
Niobrara/Verdigre
North Central
O'Neill St. Mary's
Santee
Stuart
Summerland

Panhandle Conference
Crawford
Edgemont (South Dakota)
Hay Springs
Hemingford
Morrill
Sioux County

Pioneer Conference
Diller-Odell
Falls City Sacred Heart
Friend
Johnson-Brock
Lewiston
Nebraska City Lourdes
Pawnee City
Southern
Sterling
Tri County

Republican Plains Activities Conference
Alma
Arapahoe
Bertrand
Cambridge
Dundy County-Stratton
Hitchcock County
Maxwell
Maywood/Hayes Center
Medicine Valley
Paxton
Southern Valley
Southwest
Wallace
Wauneta-Palisade

River Cities Conference
Elkhorn Mt. Michael
Omaha Duchesne
Omaha Gross
Omaha Mercy
Omaha Roncalli
Omaha Skutt
South Sioux City

South Platte Valley Association
Bridgeport
Chase County
Hershey
Kimball
North Platte St. Patrick's
Perkins County
Sutherland

Southern Nebraska Conference
Centennial
David City
Fairbury
Fillmore Central
Heartland
Milford
Sandy Creek
Superior
Sutton
Thayer Central
Wilber-Clatonia

Southwest Conference
Ainsworth
Broken Bow
Cozad
Gothenburg
Holdrege
McCook
Minden
Ogallala
Valentine

Trailblazer Conference
Ashland-Greenwood

Beatrice
Malcolm
Nebraska City
Platteview
Plattsmouth
Ralston
Wahoo

Twin Valley Conference
Blue Hill
Deshler
Franklin
Giltner
Harvard
Kenesaw
Lawrence-Nelson
Red Cloud
Shelton
Silver Lake

Western Conference
Alliance
Chadron
Gering
Mitchell
Scottsbluff
Sidney

Western Trails Conference
Bayard
Bridgeport
Gordon-Rushville
Hemingford
Kimball
Mitchell
Morrill
I see Parkview Christian in both Frontier and MUDECAS, is that right? And Scottsbluff in both GNAC and Western?

Exeter-Milligan cooped all sports with Friend and will be leaving the Crossroad conference and playing in the Pioneer conference which Friend is already a member of I believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alum-Ni
Have to wonder if Humphrey High will move to the Goldenrod or stay in the EHC once the co-op with LHF ends after the 23-24 school year? Seems like they and Twin River would be good fits in that league. Plus gets the EHC down to 12 teams and put the Goldenrod at 12. (Spalding Academy is with Riverside now so that membership counts as one).

Maybe a dumb question, and definitely not intended to stir the pot. I just don't know the answer. Why does the MUDECAS exist? All 16 schools in that conference are a member of another conference. If they all have a home outside of the MUDECAS, why keep the MUDECAS?

BDS (Crossroads)
Diller-Odell (Pioneer)
Exeter-Milligan (Crossroads or Pioneer, depending on Friend)
Falls City Sacred Heart (Pioneer)
Freeman (East Central Nebraska)
HTRS (Pioneer)
Johnson-Brock (Pioneer)
Johnson County Central (East Central Nebraska)
Lewiston (Pioneer)
Meridian (Crossroads)
Palmyra (East Central Nebraska)
Parkview Christian (Frontier)
Pawnee City (Pioneer)
Southern (Pioneer)
Sterling (Pioneer)
Tri County (Pioneer)

Maybe a dumb question, and definitely not intended to stir the pot. I just don't know the answer. Why does the MUDECAS exist? All 16 schools in that conference are a member of another conference. If they all have a home outside of the MUDECAS, why keep the MUDECAS?

BDS (Crossroads)
Diller-Odell (Pioneer)
Exeter-Milligan (Crossroads or Pioneer, depending on Friend)
Falls City Sacred Heart (Pioneer)
Freeman (East Central Nebraska)
HTRS (Pioneer)
Johnson-Brock (Pioneer)
Johnson County Central (East Central Nebraska)
Lewiston (Pioneer)
Meridian (Crossroads)
Palmyra (East Central Nebraska)
Parkview Christian (Frontier)
Pawnee City (Pioneer)
Southern (Pioneer)
Sterling (Pioneer)
Tri County (Pioneer)
Agreed. I get having the tournament, but why is there a league? Is a league champ crowned with a tournament champ?

Agreed. I get having the tournament, but why is there a league? Is a league champ crowned with a tournament champ?
I'm not sure if it technically is a "league" honestly....just those same teams in tournaments every year. Someone local to that area can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong

Reactions: HighPlainsCoach
Talking with a friend who is in the area. He said...

I think part of it is that it has existed as a conference before a lot of other conferences were ever started? It also just provides for some additional built-in scheduled events. Competing in things like quiz bowl, music contest, speech contest. And the big one (basketball tournament). Plus the volleyball tournament.

Reactions: saluno22
Actually they do list several schools as belonging to MUDECAS
Yeah, just looked closer. They list Diller-Odell, Falls City Sacred Heart, Freeman, Lewiston, Parkview Christian, Pawnee City, and Southern. That is 7 of the 16 schools. I wonder if that is based on school submission information? All 7 of the schools listed are also listed with the other conference they are members of.

Yeah, just looked closer. They list Diller-Odell, Falls City Sacred Heart, Freeman, Lewiston, Parkview Christian, Pawnee City, and Southern. That is 7 of the 16 schools. I wonder if that is based on school submission information? All 7 of the schools listed are also listed with the other conference they are members of.
Very sure it is school submitted.

Reactions: hailvictors2
Took me a while to find this thread...

The Eastern Midlands announces this morning that Gretna will return to the EMC in 24-25 and be joined by the district's new school Gretna East. The announcement says, "We are pleased to announce the addition of Gretna and Gretna East High Schools as the newest members of the Eastern Midlands Conference (EMC). Both schools will begin participation in conference activities in August 2024."

Gretna Public told the conference members that both high schools expect to remain in Class B for 5-8 years.

• Wow
Reactions: saluno22
If you see any non-Omaha area Class B state champs in the future - take note, it will be a rare occurrence.

Why doesn't the Greater Nebraska Athletic Conference and the Western Conference become one?

Also, seems like Omaha Skutt should be with Eastern Midlands. They seem out of place in the River Cities.

Lastly, maybe North Bend would be a fit in the Capital Conference as a 10th member replacing Ashland Greenwood?

Last edited:
This won't happen but I would like to see.
-Disband the RCC.
-Skutt and South Sioux go to the Eastern Midlands.
-Roncalli, Gross, Mercy and Duchesne and Mt. Michael join the Centennial. Roncalli and Gross are getting smaller.

Centennial Conference
Boys Town (boys only)
Scotus Central Catholic
David City Aquinas
Fremont Bergan
Hastings St. Cecilia
Kearney Catholic
Lincoln Christian
Lincoln Lutheran
Omaha Concordia
Wahoo Neumann
Roncalli Catholic
Gross Catholic
Omaha Mercy (girls only)
Omaha Duchesne (girls only)
Mt. Michael (boys only)

Puts the conference at 16 total schools. 14 boy teams, 14 girl teams. Could break out into divisions.

East:
Boys Town (boys only)
Mt. Michael (boys only)
Duchesne (girls only)
Mercy (girls only)
Gross
Roncalli
Concordia
Bergan

West:
Aquinas
Scotus
GICC
St. Cecilia
Lincoln Christian
Lincoln Lutheran
Neumann
Kearney Catholic

Last edited:
Lastly, maybe North Bend would be a fit in the Capital Conference as a 10th member replacing Ashland Greenwood?
North Bend would be a great fit in the Capitol. Travel to Yutan, Arlington, DC West, Logan View, Raymond Central is easier too.

Capitol Conference (10)
Arlington
Conestoga
Douglas County West
Fort Calhoun
Louisville
North Bend Central
Raymond Central
Syracuse
Yutan

Last edited:
Reactions: nenebskers
What does the future of the Grand Island school district hold? That school is getting huge with their 3 year enrollment being 2,050 this year. In 02/03 it was 1,362. In 12/13 it was 1,608. How much can that school hold? Any talk of a second high school?

Any other high schools expecting to see significant growth in the next 20 years?Obviously Bennington, Elkhorn, Papio LV, Gretna, Bennington, Lincoln will continue to see growth. Norris, Waverly, and Bellevue seem to not have grown much but their population is growing. How long till they grow? Seems like the Norfolk, Columbus, Fremont, type cities are seeing housing increases. Guessing their school systems will grow as a result. A lot of talk locally about a housing boom in South Sioux City happening in the next 10 years as they are expecting 2,400 new units by 2030.

- Only time I know of GISH exploring a second school was a plan to create a 9/10 school and GISH remaining 11/12. The community rejected it. Can't remember if it got to an official vote. Haven't heard anything over there about a second school. They have been dealing with some pretty sharp internal/external bickering educationally. Not sure expansion is on anyone's radar.
- Skutt applied to EMC in the last ten years and was rejected.
- the GNAC no longer exists, so it won't be merging with anyone. McCook went SWC; Lex to Central; Hastings to EMC; Scottsbluff and Gering are already Western, and doesn't North Platte have some affiliate arrangement with them?

Reactions: nenebskers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT