8.37% Gretna
2.18% Elkhorn South

* Omaha Duchesne Academy
* Omaha Mercy
* Omaha Skutt Catholic
* Mount Michael Benedictine
(* means under 2%)

COLUMBUS HIGH SCHOOL 37.73%

Here's better numbers to consider when you are considering conferences schools feel at home in. These are free-and-reduced-lunch percentages. When schools are talking demographics, this is one of the things they are thinking about.

Reactions: kaz36
Norris and Waverly are not going to leave the EMC.
From a stability and demographic standpoint, I agree. But travel and regionally, they make more sense in the new “Southeast” league. And I know it’s not all about being in the same region, but sometimes I was it were.

To me this makes the most sense from a logistics standpoint.

New Eastern Midlands: (12 teams, Mt. Micheal and Duschene count as 1)

Division A:
Bennington
Blair
Omaha Skutt
Columbus
South Sioux City
Omaha Gross

Division B:
DC West
Elkhorn High
Elkhorn North
Omaha Roncalli
Omaha Concordia
Mt. Michael** (boys only)
Omaha Duchesne** (girls only)

New Conference:

North Division:
Wahoo
Plattsmouth
Platteview
Ashland-Greenwood
Ralston

South Division:
Beatrice
Waverly
Norris
Nebraska City
Falls City

For the new league, Ralston is the largest (when looking at football classification numbers) by far.

Ralston: 421
Norris: 267
Beatrice: 266
Waverly: 237
Plattsmouth: 228

Current C1’s:
Platteview 157 (1st in C1)
Nebraska City 156 (2nd in C1)
Wahoo 136 (6th in C1)
Falls City 103 (16th in C1)
Ashland-Greenwood 101 (17th in C1)
Good post. I wouldn’t mind something like this. Only 2 things I may say about it:
1. I would have a hard time thinking Norris and Waverly would leave the EMC. With them basically being suburbs to Lincoln, I would think their demographic would fit more with current EMC members. Platteview May eventually fit here as well.
2. I’m not sure I would use football numbers as football doesn’t play a conference schedule. I know the NSAA uses gender based for most sports, but I would think you would want to use combined statistics

>Platteview May eventually fit here as well.

Platteview was in the EMC from the league's founding in 1980 until 2011. They returned to the Capitol when Bennington went from Capitol to EMC. Platteview was in Capitol from 1968-1980.

A return to EMC makes more sense to me than joining the new conference.

Wish more schools would be proactive.

SSC was in a short lived 4 team conference in 80s-early 90s with Wayne, O'Neill, & Cedar Catholic. Don't remember the name though.
I believe it was the NAC (northern Activities conference)

Reactions: TC53
From the Beatrice Daily Sun:

“The hope is that the conference will be representative schools within common themes in the following areas: geographical, demographic, similar enrollment status and educational delivery of programs,” Alexander said.

“We don’t ever have an administrative collaboration opportunity in the current conference we’re in,” Alexander said. “I think it would be nice to have a collaboration of superintendents, assistant superintendents, principals that are all working collaboratively together in the best interest of the kids that are in that conference.”

This sounds a lot like Alexander's view on the Lou-Platte Conference when that changed a few years back when he was at Ord.
That man was 100% the origin of removing Kearney Catholic from the Lou Platte, which then led to Adams Central leaving as they saw the writing on the wall.

You wonder if South Sioux, DC West and Columbus try to get in the Eastern Midlands to replace Plattsmouth, Nebraska City and Gretna?

Or does the EMC take River Cities teams like Skutt, Roncalli, or Gross?

Thanks for the links @Alum-Ni.

With the ever changing enrollment numbers, I could definitely see this happening. This probably should happen. The EMC has outgrown schools like Nebraska City and Plattsmouth. Schools like Gretna(already gone), Elkhorn, Norris, Wavery, Bennington and to a certain extent Blair, are all districts that are bedroom communities and will continue to get bigger and bigger. I think NC's enrollment is pretty similar to what it was 25 or 30 years ago. I am unsure of Plattsmouth, but would guess it is very similar. If the EMC loses NC and Plattsmouth and the River City loses Ralston and Beatrice, I think the two should look at combining. South Sioux City is kind of out there on their own as there really isn't much in the NE for them to jump into. The Capitol Conference could add schools like JCC, Auburn and/or Falls City and be just fine. This all really makes sense.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Thanks for the links @Alum-Ni.

With the ever changing enrollment numbers, I could definitely see this happening. This probably should happen. The EMC has outgrown schools like Nebraska City and Plattsmouth. Schools like Gretna(already gone), Elkhorn, Norris, Wavery, Bennington and to a certain extent Blair, are all districts that are bedroom communities and will continue to get bigger and bigger. I think NC's enrollment is pretty similar to what it was 25 or 30 years ago. I am unsure of Plattsmouth, but would guess it is very similar. If the EMC loses NC and Plattsmouth and the River City loses Ralston and Beatrice, I think the two should look at combining. South Sioux City is kind of out there on their own as there really isn't much in the NE for them to jump into. The Capitol Conference could add schools like JCC, Auburn and/or Falls City and be just fine. This all really makes sense.
Agree. This is very proactive by Wahoo, Nebraska City and others.

The remaining River Cities should join the Eastern Midlands. South Sioux is in a tough spot.

Reactions: coachlanum
Subscription article? Weak.

Yeah, I know...but again, nothing really earth-shattering:

- Ralston, Platteview and Nebraska City are pushing for a new league. Wahoo, Beatrice, Ashland-Greenwood and Plattsmouth are known to have been approached as possible members. Where does that leave Capitol, EMC and RCC?

- Left in EMC are Blair, Waverly, Norris, Bennington, Elkhorn and Elkhorn North. Left in RCC are South Sioux City, Elkhorn Mt. Michael (boys), Omaha Skutt, Omaha Roncalli, Omaha Gross, Omaha Duchesne (girls), and Omaha Mercy (girls). Left in Capitol would be Fort Calhoun, Arlington, Syracuse, Douglas County West and Raymond Central

- South Sioux is thinking of a move, with an official telling Stu, "if we're competing as a Class A school, we need to be in a Class A league". Problem is the only options would be Metro or HAC. SSC is kind of on an island.

- South Sioux could join GNAC, but travel would be horrendous. Will Columbus try again for membership in EMC or Heartland?

- Would the RCC consider Omaha Concordia, Boys Town or DC West as possible replacements. Stu writes, Omaha Concordia would be the first choice. Perhaps the RCC and EMC should merge, considering both Elkhorn and Elkhorn North will both likely be in Class A by the mid-2020s.

- The Capitol could consider Auburn and Falls City, with Falls City having been looking for a conference home for over 40 years

- Realignment could be on the horizon for a while with Elkhorn North opening in 2020, two new OPS schools in 2022, possibly two new Lincoln public schools in the early 2020s and a possible second high school in Gretna

Thanks @Alum-Ni. Some of my thoughts...

-Columbus belongs in the HAC. But if they can’t stay Class A, they’ll never get in. Columbus, Norfolk And Fremont should all be in the same conference.

-Falls City is in a tough spot, but I feel like they belong more in the new league. They are in a tough spot like South Sioux.

-The Capitol should look at Yutan, they seem like a natural fit.

-The River Cities needs to merge with the Eastern Midlands. To me, Norris should also be in the new conference, but I know they’ll never leave the EMC.

Louisville's last year in the ECNC is this coming year. They are moving to the Capitol Conference in 2020-21.

Thanks @Alum-Ni. Some of my thoughts...

-Columbus belongs in the HAC. But if they can’t stay Class A, they’ll never get in. Columbus, Norfolk And Fremont should all be in the same conference.

-Falls City is in a tough spot, but I feel like they belong more in the new league. They are in a tough spot like South Sioux.

-The Capitol should look at Yutan, they seem like a natural fit.

-The River Cities needs to merge with the Eastern Midlands. To me, Norris should also be in the new conference, but I know they’ll never leave the EMC.

Where does North Platte belong?

HAC is supposedly saving its "12th spot" for a new Lincoln school. However, there may be two new schools coming depending on what LPS leaders decide. Could the HAC add a new Lincoln school + Columbus + North Platte for a 14-team league?

Link: http://ncnsportsnow.com/featured-ne...clude-nebraska-city-plattsmouth-and-beatrice/

New "Trailblazer Conference" will include Nebraska City, Plattsmouth and Beatrice
News Channel Nebraska

NEBRASKA CITY - Nebraska City and Plattsmouth will join four other school districts to form the new "Trailblazer Conference" beginning in 2020-21.

The Nebraska City, Plattsmouth, Beatrice, Ralston and Platteview Boards of Education voted to leave their current conferences at recent meetings. Wahoo is expected to vote at its next board meeting on June 17.

"Our six districts saw the rare chance to unite and deepen our relationships athletically, academically, artistically, and across our communities," Plattsmouth Superintendent Dr. Richard Hasty said.

The Blue Devils and Pioneers have been a part of the Eastern Midlands Conference since its inauguration in 1979. The two schools have been conference rivals even before the EMC. They were both members of the Twin Rivers Conference before it was disbanded and eventually led to the creation of the EMC.

The EMC, which is made up of Class B schools, originally included Nebraska City, Plattsmouth, Blair, Syracuse, Platteview, Elkhorn, Gretna, Norris and Waverly. Syracuse was pushed out in 1980.

The conference was last reorganized in 2017 when Platteview left to join the Nebraska Capitol Conference. Bennington would leave the NCC and join the EMC with Blair, Elkhorn, Gretna, Nebraska City, Norris, Plattsmouth and Waverly.

"From activities and fine arts to academics, middle school competitions, and professional development, we envision a new level of collaboration," said former Nebraska City Superintendent Dr. Jeff Edwards.

The EMC has 16 varsity level activities. There has been no word on if any competitive programs will be affected by the move.

Wahoo and Platteview were members of the Nebraska Capitol Conference.

"The students and families we serve have a great deal in common," explained Platteview Superintendent Brett Richards. "We believe the Trailblazer Conference will open new opportunities to collaborate, from students to our senior district leadership."

Beatrice and Ralston have been competing in the River Cities Conference.

========================================

Trailblazer Conference FAQ's with Answers

What is the Trailblazer Conference?
The Trailblazer Conference is a newly-formed educational conference which includes Beatrice, Nebraska City, Plattsmouth, Ralston, Platteview and Wahoo as inaugural members.

When will schools move to the Trailblazer Conference?
All inaugural members will move to the Trailblazer Conference in the fall of 2020. Each school will remain in their current respective conference through the 2019-2020 school year.

Why are we moving to the Trailblazer Conference?
Each school community saw an opportunity to realign with an even better fit than what we enjoyed before. Members districts see strong similarities in the communities we serve -- in the size of our schools, our demographics, and in our philosophies for what a conference can achieve.

What did you have against your previous conference?
In short, nothing. We enjoyed our time in the current conference. This type of opportunity comes once in a great while to establish something even stronger from the ground up. It is not about leaving our past conference -- but building something new.

What can we expect?
Simply put -- good things! The athletic competition will be robust. We're committed to conference-level events for activities and fine arts. Each district prioritizes strong academic performance which opens the door to lots of professional collaboration. Middle school competition opportunities are very exciting for members, which only strengthens the high school activities in the years to follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: kaz36
Name has to grow on me a bit. It is unique but at the same time sounds too generic to me. It'll be fine.
Agreed somewhat, I’m more of a fan of direction based leagues, or something relevant to the area. But this conference will be spread out. So that’ll be tough to do.

Link: https://fremonttribune.com/communit...cle_4ca13d27-537e-533e-91c9-4872c72922e6.html

Some tidbits from an article in the Fremont Tribune:

- Representatives from the six schools recently met in Plattsmouth to talk about items related to the conference. One of those topics was coming up with a name for the group. The panel agreed on "Trailblazer Conference" to highlight the state's history and the future opportunities the schools believe will come their way. " Plattsmouth Superintendent Dr. Richard Hasty added, "the group decided on Trailblazer Conference because there was historical context for trailblazers coming across Nebraska. It also represented the fact that we're blazing a trail with a new conference. Everyone thought the name fit well."

- Students will travel 90.2 miles from Plattsmouth High School to Beatrice High School via Highways 75, 2, 50 and 136. Wahoo High School is located 57.8 miles from PHS and Nebraska City High School is 24.3 miles away. It is 23.3 miles from PHS to Ralston High School and 14.8 miles from Plattsmouth to Platteview High School.

- Plattsmouth was the second-smallest school in the Eastern Midlands Conference in the 2018-19 academic year. PHS had 196 girls and 228 boys in grades 9-11 for a total of 424 students.

Bennington (214 girls, 237 boys), Blair (249 girls, 280 boys), Elkhorn (441 girls, 471 boys), Gretna (485 girls, 487 boys), Norris (250 girls, 267 boys) and Waverly (226 girls, 237 boys) had larger enrollments than Plattsmouth last year. Nebraska City (161 girls, 156 boys) had a smaller enrollment.

Ralston (391 girls, 421 boys) would be the largest member of the Trailblazer Conference in terms of enrollment in grades 9-11. Beatrice (234 girls, 266 boys), Platteview (133 girls, 157 boys) and Wahoo (90 girls, 136 boys) would join Plattsmouth and Nebraska City in the league.

- The EMC will experience several changes over the next two years. The 2018-19 school year was the final one for Gretna in the conference. Gretna will join the Metropolitan High School Activities Association (Metro Conference) next year due to rapid enrollment growth. Bennington, Blair, Elkhorn, Nebraska City, Norris, Plattsmouth and Waverly will be EMC members in 2019-20. Elkhorn North will join the league in 2020-21.

- Members of the Trailblazer Conference will hold meetings over the next year to draft bylaws that will cover all educational activities. These bylaws will govern events at both the middle and high school levels. The six-team league would hold conference tournaments and would former partnerships in academic areas.

What is the plan with the Metro Conference? They cant keep on adding schools, can they? New OPS, Elkhorn, Gretna, PLV schools keep coming. What is the point of a 20+ member conference?

What is the plan with the Metro Conference? They cant keep on adding schools, can they? New OPS, Elkhorn, Gretna, PLV schools keep coming. What is the point of a 20+ member conference?

I was thinking the same thing.....might be time for that league to split, if not into separate leagues at least into divisions

Link: https://journalstar.com/sports/high...cle_34d76f08-245f-5e13-92ca-6cbc1c6610ad.html

Six Schools Joining the new Trailblazer Conference; what does it mean for the other conferences?
by Clark Grell, Lincoln Journal Star

There is a new conference in Nebraska, and it may start a ripple effect in the landscape of high school activities.

School boards at Beatrice, Ralston, Nebraska City, Platteview and Plattsmouth recently voted to leave their respective conferences for the newly formed Trailblazer Conference beginning with the 2020-21 school year.

Wahoo is expected to become the sixth school to join the new league when its school board meets next Monday.

"We're in a great spot in the (Nebraska) Capitol Conference, and really enjoy the relationships we have with each of the schools within that conference," Wahoo Superintendent Brandon Lavaley said, "but also to have the opportunity to be part of something that starts new and be able to have those same types of relationships is certainly a unique chance for us."

A news release said the inaugural members share a focus on conference partnerships beyond high school sports, noting expanded opportunities in academics, arts, and middle school competitions.

The departures of the six schools will leave some voids -- for now.

Beatrice and Ralston will leave the River Cities Conference, while Nebraska City and Plattsmouth will depart from the Eastern Midlands Conference. Wahoo and Platteview are currently in the Nebraska Capitol Conference.

Growth and enrollment numbers also were factors in schools seeking a new landing spot. Platteview, which dropped to Class C1 briefly, has grown into a solid Class B outfit, and Wahoo has seen an increase in students. The Warriors are moving up to Class B in boys basketball next season, and have competed in Class B in other sports like track and wrestling.

Nebraska City is the smallest member of the EMC and was exploring options as early as last fall.

Ashland-Greenwood had representatives at some early meetings when the new conference began to take shape, but will remain in the NCC, principal Brad Jacobsen said.

"We have also experienced that growth," Jacobsen said, referring to outgoing league members Platteview and Wahoo. "We're just probably not quite as far along as the other two."

"The way Nebraska is growing....we're probably going to see that type of growth in the next three to 10 years, and I would expect us to be following to Class B shortly, too."

Beatrice joined the River Cities Conference in 1999. The school saw several appealing factors with the Trailblazer Conference, superintendent Jason Alexander said.

"I feel like the feedback we have received has been positive," Alexander said. "At times it's necessary for a change to happen and this seemed like an appropriate time for that. The coaches and community have been very positive about making this change."

Beatrice's longest trip in the Trailblazer Conference will be roughly 75 miles to Ralston. The school's longest trip in the RCC is about 165 miles to South Sioux City.

Ralston, with a 2019-20 three-year enrollment figure of 752, is easily the largest school in the Trailblazer Conference. Beatrice (481) is second, Plattsmouth (425) is third, and Platteview (314) is fourth. Nebraska City (303) and Wahoo (239) follow.

Will the Trailblazer Conference spark more movement? It's a safe bet.

For now, the EMC will have six members for 2020-21 -- Bennington, Blair, Elkhorn, Elkhorn North (which will open in 2020), Norris and Waverly. Gretna, which has grown into a Class A-sized school, is leaving to join the Metro Conference.

The River Cities Conference will be down to Omaha Skutt, Omaha Roncalli, Omaha Gross, Elkhorn Mt. Michael (boys), Omaha Duchesne (girls), Omaha Mercy (girls) and South Sioux City.

South Sioux City, which is moving to Class A for the next classification cycle, is looking at possible alternatives to the Class B-laden River Cities Conference.

The NCC, with a focus on Class C schools, will be Ashland-Greenwood, Fort Calhoun, Arlington, Syracuse, Douglas County West, Raymond Central and Louisville, which voted Monday night to join the league after competing as a member of the East Central Nebraska Conference.

The River Cities Conference plans to explore options of adding a school or schools, said Donn Kasner, Omaha Skutt activities director and the conference's current president.

"We don't have an arbitrary number for number of teams in our conference," Kasner said. "We don't want to sacrifice the standards and level of competition we are accustomed to in the RCC but we will certainly look at potentially adding a team (or teams) that fit what our conference stands for."

The EMC and NCC are exploring options to add, too.

"That would be ideal," said Jacobsen, who also serves as the NCC president. "Whether we get that accomplished by 2021 remains to be seen."

"There have been several schools that have been in contact with us and we with them. At this point there's not any movement. It's possible we could ride with seven for at least a year. We're not opposed to growing larger than eight, either."

Do you forget that Gross, Ralston, CB AL, CB TJ, Omaha Ryan and Roncalli were all in the Metro at one time? I believe they were actually bigger at that time. They used to have two Divisions in football and a conference championship game before the inception of the NSAA playoffs.

Was that after Bellevue and Millard expanded? Interesting, never knew that.

Still dont understand the point of having such large conferences at the high school level however. Why be in a conference with schools that you dont even play all of the members over a 4 year period. The metro may be differant but some of the small school conferences 16+ members never schedule each other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT