ADVERTISEMENT

Possible conference shakeup?

Was that after Bellevue and Millard expanded? Interesting, never knew that.

Still dont understand the point of having such large conferences at the high school level however. Why be in a conference with schools that you dont even play all of the members over a 4 year period. The metro may be differant but some of the small school conferences 16+ members never schedule each other.

Millard North and Bellevue West were around for most of that. Not Millard West or obviously Papio South. The RCC formed after the NSAA made Class A smaller, then it bumped Gross, Ralston and others to B. The two Council Bluffs teams also had a hard time competing in the Metro, and then with Skutt opening, it was a natural to form the RCC with Roncalli, SSC and Beatrice. Gross and Ralston played at least 2-3 years in the Metro as Class B schools. They played full Class A schedules and then would only play B competition in football and even basketball during districts and state during the early 90's.

Reactions: nenebskers
Do you forget that Gross, Ralston, CB AL, CB TJ, Omaha Ryan and Roncalli were all in the Metro at one time? I believe they were actually bigger at that time. They used to have two Divisions in football and a conference championship game before the inception of the NSAA playoffs.

You forgot Boys Town. Metro was 22 schools when Millard North opened. At that point, they had three divisions American, National and Federal.

Here's the OWH run-down of Metro history from the anniversary year:

1964: League formed with Omaha Benson, Beveridge (Burke), Central, North, South and Technical; Council Bluffs Abraham Lincoln and Thomas Jefferson; and Bellevue, Boys Town, Creighton Prep, Omaha Ryan and Omaha Westside

1966: Omaha Rummel (now Roncalli) joins

1973: Omaha Bryan and Omaha Northwest join

1974: Boys Town withdraws

1975: Omaha Gross joins

1977: Millard, Ralston, Papillion and new school Bellevue West join; all-girls Omaha Marian joins as associate member

1981: New school Millard North joins

1983: Ryan closes

1984: Technical closes

1985: Roncalli withdraws

1995: Ralston, Gross, Abraham Lincoln and Thomas Jefferson leave for new River Cities Conference; new school Millard West joins

2003: New school Papillion-La Vista South joins

Current membership: Bellevue East and West; Millard North, South, and West; Omaha Benson, Bryan, Burke, Central, North, Northwest and South; Papillion-La Vista and Papillion-La Vista South; Omaha Creighton Prep; Omaha Marian; Omaha Westside

Reactions: nenebskers
You forgot Boys Town. Metro was 22 schools when Millard North opened. At that point, they had three divisions American, National and Federal.

Here's the OWH run-down of Metro history from the anniversary year:

1964: League formed with Omaha Benson, Beveridge (Burke), Central, North, South and Technical; Council Bluffs Abraham Lincoln and Thomas Jefferson; and Bellevue, Boys Town, Creighton Prep, Omaha Ryan and Omaha Westside

1966: Omaha Rummel (now Roncalli) joins

1973: Omaha Bryan and Omaha Northwest join

1974: Boys Town withdraws

1975: Omaha Gross joins

1977: Millard, Ralston, Papillion and new school Bellevue West join; all-girls Omaha Marian joins as associate member

1981: New school Millard North joins

1983: Ryan closes

1984: Technical closes

1985: Roncalli withdraws

1995: Ralston, Gross, Abraham Lincoln and Thomas Jefferson leave for new River Cities Conference; new school Millard West joins

2003: New school Papillion-La Vista South joins

Current membership: Bellevue East and West; Millard North, South, and West; Omaha Benson, Bryan, Burke, Central, North, Northwest and South; Papillion-La Vista and Papillion-La Vista South; Omaha Creighton Prep; Omaha Marian; Omaha Westside

Now that you mention it, I do remember the three divisions in the Metro

@Alum-Ni with this move, here are questions I have.

-What happens to the GNAC?

-Does Holdrege and McCook head to the Southwest Conference? The fit better in that league then their current leagues (especially Holdrege).

-Could Hastings High take Holdrege’s spot in the Central 10? I know it’s in the same league as AC, but they don’t have a lot of options.

-What happens to Lex and North Platte?

@Alum-Ni with this move, here are questions I have.

-What happens to the GNAC?

-Does Holdrege and McCook head to the Southwest Conference? The fit better in that league then their current leagues (especially Holdrege).

-Could Hastings High take Holdrege’s spot in the Central 10? I know it’s in the same league as AC, but they don’t have a lot of options.

-What happens to Lex and North Platte?
I know the question was directed to Alum-ni and not me but here’s some thoughts on the SWC question. McCook is already a member of the Southwest Conference. They joined a few years ago so the number of schools in the SWC is currently at 8. I guess I would have 2 questions about an invitation to Holdrege. First, does the SWC want a 9 member conference, and secondly, do they want to invite a school to join who has previously left them

Last edited:
I know the question was directed to Alum-ni and not me but here’s some thoughts on the SWC question. McCook is already a member of the Southwest Conference. They joined a few years ago so the number of schools in the SWC is currently at 8. I guess I would have 2 questions about an invitation to Holdrege. First, does the SWC want a 9 member conference, and secondly, do they want to invite a school to join who has previously left them
I could see Ainsworth leaving for NVC maybe? That would keep them at 8.

Lex should have never been kicked out of the SWC. I would be surprised to see if Lex or Holdredge would come back to the SWC.

Would Chase County be a better option to go to SWC?

Minden being in the SWC makes no sense. They should go to the Lou Platte.

Ainsworth and Valentine in the SWC are what doesn't make sense. Neither are "south" at all...

It would make more sense for Valentine to get into the western trails. Ainsworth to be in NVC?

Chase County go to SWC

I also think schools should not be able to be dual affiliated. There are a few schools that do it. Bridgeport and Kimball are both in 2 conferences

The SWC was the only conference that was willing to accept Valentine and Ainsworth. I agree that Chase County would be a good fit in the SWC.

Hastings is looking for a life line with the GNAC on its deathbed. Surprised Falls City isn’t being discussed. Too small?

What would be interesting is if they could pull a team from the Central Conference. That could cause major shifts IMO.
Falls City needs to replace Wahoo, Platteview, or A-G in the Cap Conference. That would be a much better fit for size

Reactions: northeastNebraska
Hypothetically if Crete (Central Conference), Ashland-Greenwood (Capitol Conference), Hastings (GNAC) and Blair (EMC) go to this new league. What direction do these four conferences go?

I think the Central 10 would drop to 8 and Holdrege would try to get in the SWC. Geographically and demographically they fit better in the SWC.

A-G would leaving would the Capitol with 5 members...

The GNAC is dead already.

As many haves stated, if Blair leaves does the EMC and RCC combine?

My gut says if the RCC private schools were interested in the EMC, then Blair wouldn’t be looking around, and the EMC wouldn’t have been making the invites they have made.

Weird to think the EMC is struggling but they are at 6 and looking at the future when Elkhorn and Elk North grow into the Metro and they are down to four.

Is Crete really interested in getting out of the Central? The EMC didn’t fit them at all, but the Trailblazer looks more like them. Still a lot of history and rivalries in Central and they seem to fit demographically and geographically.

Surprised EMC didn’t approach Seward. Feels more like them than Crete.

The western schools in GNAC are prepared to go Western if it falls apart. North Platte even played in Western basketball tourney last weekend.

Trailblazer will cap at 8. The article says 10, but 8 is the limit. Part of the reason Hastings was invited is because it gets the conference to 7...the Ashland-Greenwood has to poop or get off the pot. If A-G and Hastings are in it will mean Crete and whoever else are out.

Falls City needs to replace Wahoo, Platteview, or A-G in the Cap Conference. That would be a much better fit for size
Falls City and Auburn would seem like no brainers to join the Capitol Conference. Maybe even someone like JCC? I think Ashland Greenwood is hesitant because they are still C1 in all sports. I assume they are growing and may eventually be in class B someday, but may not want to get overmatched out of the gate in a B conference. Does anyone know how AG is trending?

Falls City and Auburn would seem like no brainers to join the Capitol Conference. Maybe even someone like JCC? I think Ashland Greenwood is hesitant because they are still C1 in all sports. I assume they are growing and may eventually be in class B someday, but may not want to get overmatched out of the gate in a B conference. Does anyone know how AG is trending?
One would think AG would be moving to Class B soon with the rapid growth of Ashland. 5-8 years away maybe?

Trailblazer will cap at 8. The article says 10, but 8 is the limit. Part of the reason Hastings was invited is because it gets the conference to 7...the Ashland-Greenwood has to poop or get off the pot. If A-G and Hastings are in it will mean Crete and whoever else are out.
Would Hastings High ever get an invite to the Central Conference? Or now with AC in they probably won’t get one?

When North Platte came out and played in the Western Conference Tourney this past week, it felt like a good fit. It also seemed that everyone was very supportive of them being there. Competitive wise, they were on an equal level with everyone else. I see someone mentioned up above that all the western GNAC schools would come west and that leaves me with the question of McCook. Outside of North Platte and Sidney, you'd be looking at 4+ hour drives to Scottsbluff, Gering, Mitchell, Alliance, and Chadron. Would they conference or McCook want that? It'll be interesting to see the chips fall.

Whoops, that was me. McCook has its Southwest membership. Gering and Scottsbluff have the Western, and North Platte has that option. More complicated than I made it seem.

The Nebraska Capitol Conference will be adding Logan View, Conestoga, Yutan and Louisville(already announced) for the 2020-2021 season.

The Nebraska Capitol Conference will be adding Logan View, Conestoga, Yutan and Louisville(already announced) for the 2020-2021 season.
I like the Yutan add a lot. Should have been in the league for a few years now. (Will they ever get Mead to co-op with them?)

Conestoga?....

Between Logan View and Scribner-Snyder they leave a lot of rivals in the EHC.

I like the Yutan add a lot. Should have been in the league for a few years now. (Will they ever get Mead to co-op with them?)

Conestoga?....

That was an aside on your part, but my understanding (moving to Wahoo 7ish years ago) was that the cycle just before that, Mead and Yutan were all set to coop football (JH and Varsity) and it was ended pretty late into the process on the Yutan side.

Since then, Mead's numbers (as a school and in football) rebounded and there hasn't been talk since.

That was an aside on your part, but my understanding (moving to Wahoo 7ish years ago) was that the cycle just before that, Mead and Yutan were all set to coop football (JH and Varsity) and it was ended pretty late into the process on the Yutan side.

Since then, Mead's numbers (as a school and in football) rebounded and there hasn't been talk since.

I should add: Mead had low numbers halfway between then and now (two cycles ago?) and then the coop talks were with Cedar Bluffs. Not sure how far it got, but from the outside + the stories I've been told, it would appear Yutan doesn't have interest in Mead

Conestoga?....

Anyone know how that will work with the East Husker conference? Doesn’t Logan View and Scribner Snyder only coop in certain sports? What conference will the coop play in?

Anyone know how that will work with the East Husker conference? Doesn’t Logan View and Scribner Snyder only coop in certain sports? What conference will the coop play in?
They co-op in football, volleyball, softball, and both basketballs. Wrestling and track are still separated for now.

Logan View and Scribner-Snyder are working on a full consolidation I believe...........if that happens, then both would obviously be in the Capitol Conference.

2020/21 Capital Conference:
Arlington
AG
Conestoga
DC West
Logan View
Louisville
Ft. Calhoun
RC
Syracuse
Yutan

2020/21 Capital Conference:
Arlington
AG
Conestoga
DC West
Logan View
Louisville
Ft. Calhoun
RC
Syracuse
Yutan

That's a good looking conference that makes sense geographically, size of schools, and 10 is a perfect number. Down the road if Ashland-Greenwood grows and gets out maybe North Bend Central moves in?

So a recap of where leagues are right now and the changes that have been announced so far:

Red = new team
Strikethrough = team leaving

Capitol Conference
Arlington
Ashland-Greenwood
Conestoga
Douglas County West
Fort Calhoun
Logan View/Scribner-Snyder
Louisville

Platteview
Raymond Central