ADVERTISEMENT

So this is happening

That is what should happen for sports at least. Again, for a lot of HSF people it’s all about their name and keeping their traditions alive. That will be hard to break. But yes I totally agree, have all three schools come together for sports, and have HSF-LHF merge to form one school district.

You are the second person I’ve heard mention Riverside and SA may come together for sports soon. Do you think this football season will be the last for the Academy?
The Academy is such a small school. They do not have a single girl in their high school this year. They were low on numbers when they consolidated sports before, and they are trying middle school sports now with Riverside I've heard. I think its only a matter of time.

Reactions: HuskerO
Has anyone - maybe everyone - forgotten that maybe the reasoning behind the priest trying to combine HSF and LHF had nothing to do with sports and maybe he wants to combine resources for - I don't know - educational purposes?

Then do that and leave the existing coop alone. One has nothing to do with the other.

Spalding Academy was the one who broke up the original coop because they thought they could go it alone, so why would they change the consolidated name Riverside when it doesn't include Spalding or Cedar Rapids anyway? No uniform or mascot changes needed. High Plains doesn't reference Polk, Hordville, or Clarks. Twin River doesn't include Genoa or Silver Creek in the name. If HSF and LHF want to call themselves some other name so be it. It would be best to put the former mascots into the history books and move on with a new identity that merges the two towns' histories.
Actually that's not true. Spalding Academy didn't break off just to go on their own. They did try to continue the co-op with Spalding Public and then tried to co-op with Riverside (everyone knew that both schools were in discussion about this and it was big news at the time).

Now that doesn't mean the Academy didn't become unreasonable while co-oping with Spalding Public or that they were unreasonable when discussing co-oping options with Riverside. That I don't know, but what I do know is that it is 100% false that the Academy broke up the original co-op because they decided to go at it alone.

I never said Riverside should change their name to accommodate SA. Riverside holds more chips at this time so if it's important enough for Riverside not to include the SA name and it's important enough for SA to want their name included, then they won't co-op.

Boone Central / Newman Grove doesn't include the names Albion or Petersburg, but it includes the name Newman Grove. Apparently Boone Central was able to accommodate with Newman Grove so I'm not sure why you think Riverside couldn't do the same thing? Riverside / Spalding Academy.

Reactions: JayPak
Actually that's not true. Spalding Academy didn't break off just to go on their own. They did try to continue the co-op with Spalding Public and then tried to co-op with Riverside (everyone knew that both schools were in discussion about this and it was big news at the time).

Now that doesn't mean the Academy didn't become unreasonable while co-oping with Spalding Public or that they were unreasonable when discussing co-oping options with Riverside. That I don't know, but what I do know is that it is 100% false that the Academy broke up the original co-op because they decided to go at it alone.

I never said Riverside should change their name to accommodate SA. Riverside holds more chips at this time so if it's important enough for Riverside not to include the SA name and it's important enough for SA to want their name included, then they won't co-op.

Boone Central / Newman Grove doesn't include the names Albion or Petersburg, but it includes the name Newman Grove. Apparently Boone Central was able to accommodate with Newman Grove so I'm not sure why you think Riverside couldn't do the same thing? Riverside / Spalding Academy.
Boone Central dropped the Newman Grove name last year. It did not go over well with the Newman Grove folks

Reactions: HuskerO
Boone Central dropped the Newman Grove name last year. It did not go over well with the Newman Grove folks
I didn't know that. It's surprising to me since they had it that way for 7 years or so & Newman Grove is a decent size town. Not sure how many kids NG brings in though to BC.

Seems like the HSF-LHF co-op talk is done.

Here is a link the the proposal.

LINK
I don't reside in either district nor do I attend either church.

I believe that this proposal is strong. It appears that they thought this through pretty well.

I don't know if they will move forward with this or not, but I sure feel bad for Humphrey Public if they do. When my kids were in school, we played Humprey-LHF in basketball and I felt like they had a nice thing going.

I don't reside in either district nor do I attend either church.

I believe that this proposal is strong. It appears that they thought this through pretty well.

I don't know if they will move forward with this or not, but I sure feel bad for Humphrey Public if they do. When my kids were in school, we played Humprey-LHF in basketball and I felt like they had a nice thing going.
It's really just too bad that HSF-LHF didn't consolidate 30 years ago and would co-op with Humphrey High (very unrealistic I know). It's a waste of resources to share staff at schools with low enrollment. Just shut it down in Lindsay and move everything to Humphrey and have 30 kids per grade instead of 10 (LHF) and 20 (HSF). Use Lindsay's gym for practices.

If HSF-LHF would consolidate today, they wouldn't be as big as HSF was 20 years ago.

Reactions: ClkTwr2011
I wonder where the state title trophy will go? Or will they share it 😆

They can get along for play production but not anything else? Sad.

I wonder if there is a place for Humphrey High for Activities or if they are just out?
Would be nice if all three could come together for sports. Especially football. But I doubt they will right away.

It's really interesting looking at 7-12 enrollment numbers from the NDE for 22-23.

Lindsay Holy Family:
7th grade: 13
8th grade: 11
9th grade: 5
10th grade: 8
11th grade: 0 (yes, you read that right, zero)
12 grade: 5
(Total: 42)

Humphrey St. Francis:
7th Grade: 16
8th Grade: 14
9th Grade: 16
10th Grade: 11
11th Grade: 15
12th Grade: 13
(Total: 85)

Humphrey High:
7th Grade: 18
8th Grade: 17
9th Grade: 31
10th Grade: 21
11th Grade: 25
12th Grade: 36
(Total: 148)

LINK

Would be nice if all three could come together for sports. Especially football. But I doubt they will right away.

It's really interesting looking at 7-12 enrollment numbers from the NDE for 22-23.

Lindsay Holy Family:
7th grade: 13
8th grade: 11
9th grade: 5
10th grade: 8
11th grade: 0 (yes, you read that right, zero)
12 grade: 5
(Total: 42)

Humphrey St. Francis:
7th Grade: 16
8th Grade: 14
9th Grade: 16
10th Grade: 11
11th Grade: 15
12th Grade: 13
(Total: 85)

Humphrey High:
7th Grade: 18
8th Grade: 17
9th Grade: 31
10th Grade: 21
11th Grade: 25
12th Grade: 36
(Total: 148)

LINK
I just don't see St Francis wanting to move up to Class C. Maybe I am wrong.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
I just don't see St Francis wanting to move up to Class C. Maybe I am wrong.
Agreed, this new merger will have HSF/LHF in D1, which is where HSF was in the 2000's.

Big implications here too with Humphrey High, I'd be shocked if they stay in the East Husker. They will be D1-D2 moving forward. Better off joining the GoldenRod with HSF/LHF, St. Edward, Elba, Fullerton, etc.

Last edited:
Agreed, this new merger will have HSF/LHF in D1, which is where HSF was in the 2000's.

Big implications here too with Humphrey High, I'd be shocked if they stay in the East Husker. They will be D1-D2 moving forward. Better off joining the GoldenRod with HSF/LHF, St. Edward, Elba, Fullerton, etc.
From the talks I’ve had with people is that this isn’t going to go over very well, sounds like many kids will leave Lindsay and transfer to High. IMO public should stop bus service for those schools.

From the talks I’ve had with people is that this isn’t going to go over very well, sounds like many kids will leave Lindsay and transfer to High. IMO public should stop bus service for those schools.
I bet some will. This sounds like Howells and Dodge in 2011. Many Dodge families left for North Bend and GACC. It’ll be some bickering for 2-3 years and waters will calm down.

Looking back thru this thread and in picking a new mascot I really hope they don’t miss a golden opportunity to call themselves the “Air Friars”. I mean come on they are pretty popular right now.
I am really hoping that this post gets the recognition it deserves. Nicely done.

Reactions: Drake1979
So I wonder what happens with conference affiliation with this move after 2023-2024.

I can't see Humphrey High staying alone in the East Husker Conference. Do they join the Goldenrod to get that league to 11? Does Newman Grove go to Goldenrod as well if they don't co-op sports with St. Ed or Humphrey High? After 2023-2024, Boone Central/Newman Grove aren't co-oping.

GOLDENROD CONFERENCE (11)
Burwell
Central Valley
Elba
Fullerton
Heartland Lutheran
Humphrey St. Francis
Nebraska Christian
Palmer
Riverside (Spalding Academy)
St. Edward

Honestly, Twin River should do the same thing. Madison would be the furthest western team. Genoa to Lyons? 🤢

Rumor is that Lindsay is going to try to stay on their own as a charter school away from the Catholic Church/Diocese. Parents are apparently willing to pony up the money to do so and stay on their own. Could just be smoke and mirrors but have heard it from enough people in the Lindsay area that it's at least been thrown around as an idea. No idea how on what they would do sports wise.

Rumor is that Lindsay is going to try to stay on their own as a charter school away from the Catholic Church/Diocese. Parents are apparently willing to pony up the money to do so and stay on their own. Could just be smoke and mirrors but have heard it from enough people in the Lindsay area that it's at least been thrown around as an idea. No idea how on what they would do sports wise.
I believe that when I see it. Lindsay hasn't had a public school in town since the 50's.

LHF families will send their kids to Humphrey High or Newman Grove. Some will also be adults and send their kids to HSF. It's really petty how far parents take rivalries.

I believe that when I see it. Lindsay hasn't had a public school in town since the 50's.

LHF families will send their kids to Humphrey High or Newman Grove. Some will also be adults and send their kids to HSF. It's really petty how far parents take rivalries.
There are some existing Sports Co-Op with Twin River and Softball I believe. Perhaps some families would go to Twin River as well?

I have heard this as well.....and it seems there is quite a bit of support for it, trying to establish their own local private Catholic school outside of the Diocese.

I still think IF Lindsay can pull off the move to have a charter school, it won't happen in time of the deadline of August of 2024.

Per the Humphrey Paper, Humphrey High is trying to pass a bond right now, they offered to sell their existing school to HSF for $9 million. HSF doesn't seem fully interested in that idea yet, maybe if the price is lowered. Humphrey High is going to have a tough time passing a major bond issue.

So I’m not from the area but it sounds like

1. Lindsay is looking at building a new school after being told to consolidate with HSF?

2. Humphrey public is looking at building a new 7-12 building?

3. HSF is looking at redoing their elementary school which I’m guessing is fairly old?

How much money them tax payers got down there?

So I’m not from the area but it sounds like

1. Lindsay is looking at building a new school after being told to consolidate with HSF?

2. Humphrey public is looking at building a new 7-12 building?

3. HSF is looking at redoing their elementary school which I’m guessing is fairly old?

How much money them tax payers got down there?
1. Yes, they want to keep a 7-12 school in town. Whether it's through renovations to LHF or to build a new school.
2. Yes, they are claiming they are running out of space.
3. HSF elementary is very old. It's a cool building, but it's old.

Northern Platte County has a lot of cash.

1. Yes, they want to keep a 7-12 school in town. Whether it's through renovations to LHF or to build a new school.
2. Yes, they are claiming they are running out of space.
3. HSF elementary is very old. It's a cool building, but it's old.

Northern Platte County has a lot of cash.
2. Not a claim. Fact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT