ADVERTISEMENT

What conference was your/is your high school in?

northeastNebraska

All-State
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2008
Highway 30
Trying to get some chatter in here. What conference was your high school team in? How was that conference changed (if at all?)

East Husker Conference for me. But when I was in school it was still a 10 team league that was pretty stacked. Now it's a 16 team league with additions of Madison, Howells-Dodge, Clarkson-Leigh, Humphrey-Lindsay, Twin River and Bancroft-Rosalie.

Always thought B-R should have been added a long time ago, but they were always just too small. Glad they are in the league now.

Reactions: viewfromthebooth
Trying to get some chatter in here. What conference was your high school team in? How was that conference changed (if at all?)

East Husker Conference for me. But when I was in school it was still a 10 team league that was pretty stacked. Now it's a 16 team league with additions of Madison, Howells-Dodge, Clarkson-Leigh, Humphrey-Lindsay, Twin River and Bancroft-Rosalie.

Always thought B-R should have been added a long time ago, but they were always just too small. Glad they are in the league now.

Southwest Conference. Lexington and Holdredge out. Ainsworth and Valentine in. Didn't like it at the time when Lexington was kicked out. Holdredge left on their own a few years later. Back in the 80's and 90's this was a very competitive conference especially in basketball. Packed gyms no matter where you played.

Volleyball has been owned by Ogallala since the early to mid 70's.

There were also some really good football teams in that conference. Lexington was always good, Gothenburg had the Novacek boys, Minden seemed to always have good teams as well. Overall it was a great conference back in the day.

Southwest Conference. Lexington and Holdredge out. Ainsworth and Valentine in. Didn't like it at the time when Lexington was kicked out. Holdredge left on their own a few years later. Back in the 80's and 90's this was a very competitive conference especially in basketball. Packed gyms no matter where you played.

Volleyball has been owned by Ogallala since the early to mid 70's.

There were also some really good football teams in that conference. Lexington was always good, Gothenburg had the Novacek boys, Minden seemed to always have good teams as well. Overall it was a great conference back in the day.
Isn't Lex trying to get back into the Southwest Conference? Would everyone else want them back? What has happened to Minden boys sports over the last few years? Just not a lot of talent? Lack of numbers?

1982-1983 Nebraska South Central Conference
Bladen, Bruning, Campbell, Chester/Hubbell, Davenport, Deshler, Fairmont, Guide Rock, Hildreth, Lawrence, Meridian, Milligan, Roseland, Ruskin, Shickley, Trumbull.
Lawrence finished state runner-up previous 2 years in football but started a run of championships that year.
Deshler just missed football play-offs as their only losses were to Lawrence and a team from Kansas. Only 8 teams made the play-offs back in those days and there were a lot more teams in each class so 1 loss hurt and 2 losses was a fatal blow.
Lawrence also claimed Class D basketball title that year. Only loss that year came during regular season to Shickley. The boys conference basketball tourney was held at an east site (Meridian) and west site (???) with finals at Davenport.
As you can see only 2 of those 16 are still on their own so the landscape has really changed and is now gone. And several of them have consolidated and co-opped with each other.

1982-1983 Nebraska South Central Conference
Bladen, Bruning, Campbell, Chester/Hubbell, Davenport, Deshler, Fairmont, Guide Rock, Hildreth, Lawrence, Meridian, Milligan, Roseland, Ruskin, Shickley, Trumbull.
Lawrence finished state runner-up previous 2 years in football but started a run of championships that year.
Deshler just missed football play-offs as their only losses were to Lawrence and a team from Kansas. Only 8 teams made the play-offs back in those days and there were a lot more teams in each class so 1 loss hurt and 2 losses was a fatal blow.
Lawrence also claimed Class D basketball title that year. Only loss that year came during regular season to Shickley. The boys conference basketball tourney was held at an east site (Meridian) and west site (???) with finals at Davenport.
As you can see only 2 of those 16 are still on their own so the landscape has really changed and is now gone. And several of them have consolidated and co-opped with each other.
Great insight @viewfromthebooth! I have some questions for ya if you don't mind.

When did Bruning-Davenport join together?

When did Trumbull join Doniphan?

How long did Ruskin/Bladen/Guide Rock all have schools for?

I'm not sure of exact years but I think Bruning and Davenport had a co-op in early 90's for football only and then would have to play against each other in basketball. They were known as the Bearcats since Bruning was the Bears and Davenort the Tigers. They played East Butler in the state football finals that year and lost in a wild, high-scoring game. Pretty sure it was Jeff Mackovicka's senior year at East Butler. Also, think Bruning-Davenport went 11-man for few years before the 2 schools consolidated so probably was a late 90's deal.
Not sure of when Trumbull went with Doniphan but Trumbull (think they were Bearcats also) had some dang good players (Samuelson, Ott, Consbruck, Askey) and pretty sure I missed others. The Trumbull football coach was Dave Scribner. Not only good coach but very instrumental in getting Sertoma 8-man all star game going.
Ruskin may have been in it's last year in 82-83. I know some of the kids went to either Deshler or Davenport once doors closed.
I think Bladen lasted little longer and did eventually go with Roseland to form Silver Lake. Campbell, when there doors closed also had some kids migrate to Silver Lake as well. Not sure of what years that all transpired.
And have no idea when Guide Rock shut down. Can remember going to Guide Rock in late 70's to watch my sister play in conference volleyball tourney. They also rotated the conference volleyball tournament among league members. Went to the bar in Guide Rock after the game and it was like walking into the bar on "Gunsmoke".

Reactions: northeastNebraska
No idea if Lex is trying to get back into the SWC or not. I also don't know if the other schools would vote them back in either. Back when they were voted out Ogallala and Holdredge were the only schools that voted to keep them.

Guide Rock is a heck of an interest place, I love the "Gunsmoke" comment above haha! I believe GR closed the doors in 1998. I do know a couple things about their athletics past, State 6 man champs in 1987 and on the flip side they own the states longest losing streak in boys basketball of 86 games (1988-95)

Great topic!
Back in the mid to late 80s, I competed in the Central Platte Conference. Pretty competitive conference with Arnold, Elwood, Eustis, Farnam, Maxwell, Stapleton, Lexington St. Ann, Brady, and Maywood. I think when St. Ann's closed, Paxton moved in. Eustis-Farnam formed a co-op, Maywood jumped to the GPAC around 1990 and the conference dissolved. Didn't Maxwell belong to the SPVA for a while and I know Elwood went to the FKC.

Mid-States. It has changed quite a bit over the last 15 years or so. Stanton and Madison are gone. Crofton, O'Neil and Wayne have been added. Still has Albion, Norfolk Catholic, Pierce, West Point CC, Battle Creek, HCC. I could be forgetting one. Been out of HS for quite a while now.

Seeing those teams from Central Platte Conference reminds me of several guys that went to Kearney St. while I was there. Actually my roommate my freshman year was from Eustis.
Also, in 1982-83, the year Lawrence won state in football they dominated the eight man D-1 all-state team. Had at least 4 on 1st team and 3-4 others that were honorable mention. That was also first year they divided conference into 3 divisions (blue, green, red) from the east and west divisions.

Great topic!
Back in the mid to late 80s, I competed in the Central Platte Conference. Pretty competitive conference with Arnold, Elwood, Eustis, Farnam, Maxwell, Stapleton, Lexington St. Ann, Brady, and Maywood. I think when St. Ann's closed, Paxton moved in. Eustis-Farnam formed a co-op, Maywood jumped to the GPAC around 1990 and the conference dissolved. Didn't Maxwell belong to the SPVA for a while and I know Elwood went to the FKC.
Awesome, I had no idea that league even existed. Speaking of Maxwell, I was an assistant boys basketball coach out that for two years. Felt bad for Maxwell being in the SPVA. They just didn't have the horses, they fit much better in the RPAC with more schools their size.

Well Elwood stay by themselves as long as they can? Or who would they try a co-op with if they had to? Bertrand? Arapahoe?

Mid-States. It has changed quite a bit over the last 15 years or so. Stanton and Madison are gone. Crofton, O'Neil and Wayne have been added. Still has Albion, Norfolk Catholic, Pierce, West Point CC, Battle Creek, HCC. I could be forgetting one. Been out of HS for quite a while now.
Yeah Stanton left in 2003, I remember when they were added to the East Husker. Many were excited because Stanton boys sports from about 2002-2008 was pretty dang good. They are a good fit now especially with the additions of Howell-Dodge and Clarkson-Leigh.

Niobrara Valley in the mid 90's. I was from Chambers. Had Keya Paha, St. Mary's, Stuart, Spencer-Naper, Butte, Lynch, Verdigre, Niobrara, Orchard, Clearwater, Ewing, Elgin, and Pope John. May be missing 1 or 2.
Very solid conference in FB, VB, and both b balls.
Only 2 of these schools still at it on their own in St Mary's & Stuart.

Before Clearwater, Chambers and Elgin were in the Niobrara Valley they were in the Sandhills Gateway Conference. Humprhey High was also in and I think Wheeler Central was too. Other members ???

Before Clearwater, Chambers and Elgin were in the Niobrara Valley they were in the Sandhills Gateway Conference. Humprhey High was also in and I think Wheeler Central was too. Other members ???
I believe Humphrey SF and Lindsay HF were in it as well. I'll try & find out more.

I competed in the Mid-State back in the early 80's. We were in the west which included Pope John, St. Francis, Newman Grove, Battle Creek, and Elkhorn Valley. Madison joined in maybe 81 or 82-not sure. The east side was Clarkson, Howells, Dodge, Leigh, and Norfolk Catholic, I believe. I think that Stanton joined about the same time as Madison. I don't really remember crossing over to play the teams on the other side except for maybe Stanton.

I believe Humphrey SF and Lindsay HF were in it as well. I'll try & find out more.
I think it was Humphrey High that was in the Sandhills Gateway.Other members that I can recall from the old Sandhills Gateway Conference were Spalding High and Loup County.

I competed in the Mid-State back in the early 80's. We were in the west which included Pope John, St. Francis, Newman Grove, Battle Creek, and Elkhorn Valley. Madison joined in maybe 81 or 82-not sure. The east side was Clarkson, Howells, Dodge, Leigh, and Norfolk Catholic, I believe. I think that Stanton joined about the same time as Madison. I don't really remember crossing over to play the teams on the other side except for maybe Stanton.
Did not know Howells, Dodge, Clarkson, Leigh were once in the Mid-State. When did that change and the Cornhusker Conference form? That's the conference I remember in the 90's and 00's.

Dodge
Howells
Clarkson
Leigh
Humphrey
Humphrey St. Francis
Lindsay Holy Family
Newman Grove

Did not know Howells, Dodge, Clarkson, Leigh were once in the Mid-State. When did that change and the Cornhusker Conference form? That's the conference I remember in the 90's and 00's.

Dodge
Howells
Clarkson
Leigh
Humphrey
Humphrey St. Francis
Lindsay Holy Family
Newman Grove
I believe that the Cornhusker Conference was started in the fall of 1987 when several of those Mid-State teams went to 8-man football. There is a gentlemen by the the name of Dean Backes who is writing a book on the history of the Cornhusker Conference. I don't know how that is progressing. It is hard to imagine Norfolk Catholic competing in the same conference as these small schools!

I believe that the Cornhusker Conference was started in the fall of 1987 when several of those Mid-State teams went to 8-man football. There is a gentlemen by the the name of Dean Backes who is writing a book on the history of the Cornhusker Conference. I don't know how that is progressing. It is hard to imagine Norfolk Catholic competing in the same conference as these small schools!
Man I'd love a copy of that book. Lots of state titles spread out on Highway 91.

In the mid 1970s this was the Capital Conference:
Arlington, Ashland, Centennial, Central (now Raymond Central), Elkhorn, Gretna, Norris, Platteview, Wahoo, and Waverly. I think Bennington was in there some time around then also.

For just a short time in the mid-late 80s. Cedar Catholic (class B), O'Neill (class B), Wayne (class B) and South Sioux City (class A) were in a conference. Cant remember the name of the conference. Only 4 schools but some epic battles on FB fields and BB courts!!

For just a short time in the mid-late 80s. Cedar Catholic (class B), O'Neill (class B), Wayne (class B) and South Sioux City (class A) were in a conference. Cant remember the name of the conference. Only 4 schools but some epic battles on FB fields and BB courts!!

I remember that league, it was a tough "little" league. I also remember around that time the old NENAC which was:

Bloomfield
Creighton
Crofton
Laurel-Concord
Neligh-Oakdale
Pierce
Plainview
Randolph

Then a bunch of those schools started dropping enrollments, and fast. Pierce left first and swapped places with Elkhorn Valley in the Mid-State Conference and then ultimately, as we know, the NENAC ended up dying off.

Now most of those schools (Bloomfield, Creighton, Laurel, Plainview and Randolph) are together in the Lewis & Clark. Neligh and Elkhorn Valley are in the NVC while Crofton and Pierce are in the Mid-State.

I remember that league, it was a tough "little" league. I also remember around that time the old NENAC which was:

Bloomfield
Creighton
Crofton
Laurel-Concord
Neligh-Oakdale
Pierce
Plainview
Randolph

Then a bunch of those schools started dropping enrollments, and fast. Pierce left first and swapped places with Elkhorn Valley in the Mid-State Conference and then ultimately, as we know, the NENAC ended up dying off.

Now most of those schools (Bloomfield, Creighton, Laurel, Plainview and Randolph) are together in the Lewis & Clark. Neligh and Elkhorn Valley are in the NVC while Crofton and Pierce are in the Mid-State.
Pretty crazy how spread out the L&C is. Creighton to Homer. Or Bloomfield to Winnebago? Long trips.

toughest class B conference in the 70's. Fremont Bergan, David City Aquinas, Wahoo Neuman, West Point Central Catholic, Omaha Cathedral, Omaha Holy Name, Columbus Scotus, Omaha St. Paul the 6th.

Played in the Crossroads Conference in the mid 80s. Probably won't remember all the teams but it included at times; Giltner, Hampton, McCool Junction, Exeter, Bradshaw, Hordville, Polk, Rising City, Marquette, Fairmont, Gresham, Benedict, Monroe and Shelby had just left the conference. A few state champs in the group as Marquette won football in 84' I think and Giltner in 85'. McCool won basketball in 85' and Exeter won in 86'

Played in the Crossroads Conference in the mid 80s. Probably won't remember all the teams but it included at times; Giltner, Hampton, McCool Junction, Exeter, Bradshaw, Hordville, Polk, Rising City, Marquette, Fairmont, Gresham, Benedict, Monroe and Shelby had just left the conference. A few state champs in the group as Marquette won football in 84' I think and Giltner in 85'. McCool won basketball in 85' and Exeter won in 86'
Somebody told me that that state championship that Marquette was their only appearance in the playoffs. Pretty good playoff winning percentage!

My senior year was on of the last years of the Rangeland Conference, which was down to 5 schools at that time: Ainsworth, Valentine, Rock County, West Holt, O'Neill. The original Rangeland had an East and West and included Chadron, Gordon, and Rushville. Ainsworth and Valentine now in Southwest Conference. Rock County/Keya Paha as North Central and West Holt in Niobrara Valley. O'Neill originally spent some time in the former NENAC until they got too big and then were in the Northern Activities Conference with South Sioux City, Wayne, Cedar Catholic. Then moved to Rangeland and now rejoined some old NAC members in the Mid-States.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT